shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany CUT (round brilliant)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
To me, Tiffany''s is worth it if you are getting a branded cut, or a complex setting, or if you just want the name and value.

I have friends who wanted T&CO RB solitaires and i convinced them to go and price it outside was well. They decide on size or higher color if they don''t choose TCo, and if they chose Tiffany they were OK with the fact that they could have had a larger stone, but wanted the brand on their ring for whatever reason.

Personally, I would get an RB from anywhere and the Novo to me is also just as interchangeable, but a Lucida, Legacy and some of their higher pieces are irreplecatable. I think if you are budgeting, TCo is likely not the place for you, as you are not getting a "deal". If you are looking for high cost items that might be heirloom or investment, then TCo is just fine, because you are not looking for a "deal"...

That''s just my $.02...

tweeanna

Shiny_Rock
Just curious....

If someone comes up to a person wearing a Tiffany ring and says... "What a beatufiul ring!"

Would the person''s answer be....

"Why, thank you!"

or

"Why, thank you! It''s a Tiffany."

LuciferSam

Rough_Rock
All I know is if I had gotten a ring from Tiffany for my fiance - and she actually told someone that it was from Tiffany - I would be humiliated.

Their other (copyrighted) designs are absolutely ugliest things I''ve ever seen in my life - my opinion only of course.

I don''t know what it is, and I am actually trying to be as subtle as possible - but I really feel like that whole corporation is making a killing off of some seriously stupid people.

I apologize if anyone finds that offensive - for certain you could absolutely love their own designs without even knowing where it came from - and I totally understand. To me it''s a big joke though.

Although, I am a shareholder - so maybe I should be encouraging people to buy ;-)

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2007 4:22:36 PM
Author: LuciferSam
All I know is if I had gotten a ring from Tiffany for my fiance - and she actually told someone that it was from Tiffany - I would be humiliated.

Their other (copyrighted) designs are absolutely ugliest things I''ve ever seen in my life - my opinion only of course.

I don''t know what it is, and I am actually trying to be as subtle as possible - but I really feel like that whole corporation is making a killing off of some seriously stupid people.

I apologize if anyone finds that offensive - for certain you could absolutely love their own designs without even knowing where it came from - and I totally understand. To me it''s a big joke though.

Although, I am a shareholder - so maybe I should be encouraging people to buy ;-)
I doubt if Tiffany''s would still be in business if everyone thought their jewelry or their diamonds were ugly!
2.gif
And I really don''t think that everyone who purchases from Tiffany''s is stupid. I recently bought a diamond and platinum right hand ring and matching bracelet from them because I liked the design of the pieces better than anything else I saw online or in stores (and believe me I did look around). And I haven''t told anyone that I got these items at Tiffany''s, because who really cares??? And you could make the case that spending any money on any jewelry is really a joke!
9.gif

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2007 3:41:02 PM
Author: tweeanna
Just curious....

If someone comes up to a person wearing a Tiffany ring and says... ''What a beatufiul ring!''

''Why, thank you!''

or

''Why, thank you! It''s a Tiffany.''
I actually do know someone who does this- it can be really uncomfortable.

And more often, someone comments on how they like MY ring, then she has to grab my hand and look at my ring again... and THEN start talking about her tiff ring. how embarassing for everyone
23.gif

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2007 5:02:53 PM
Author: Sundial

I doubt if Tiffany''s would still be in business if everyone thought their jewelry or their diamonds were ugly!
2.gif
The emperor''s clothes were not ugly...

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/16/2007 5:27:54 PM
Author: icekid

Date: 3/16/2007 3:41:02 PM
Author: tweeanna
Just curious....

If someone comes up to a person wearing a Tiffany ring and says... ''What a beatufiul ring!''

''Why, thank you!''

or

''Why, thank you! It''s a Tiffany.''
I actually do know someone who does this- it can be really uncomfortable.

And more often, someone comments on how they like MY ring, then she has to grab my hand and look at my ring again... and THEN start talking about her tiff ring. how embarassing for everyone
23.gif
Yuck . . . that is terrible . . .

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
Why is everyone so dead set against bragging about your stone? People do it on this site all the time, and I personally encourage it...

I know of people who brag about their H&A stones. Or someone with their Ashoka cut, or the Criss Cut, or the Gabrielle Cut...see the point?

Honestly, everyone can hate Tiffany's all the want, but the truth of the matter is a bride has a right to be proud of her ring, stressing whatever points she likes, be it size, cut, or clarity or age, or retailer. What is the big deal?

It's not my money...so if they say it's T&Co and it's tiny...I say it's pretty...if it's huge and from 47th street, I say it's pretty...to me, the shaped stones get my compliments, and the settings...

Let people enjoy what they want! You spent enough on it, you might as well love it to death and enjoy it, is what I say...

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2007 5:46:30 PM
Author: Nicrez
Why is everyone so dead set against bragging about your stone? People do it on this site all the time, and I personally encourage it...

I know of people who brag about their H&A stones. Or someone with their Ashoka cut, or the Criss Cut, or the Gabrielle Cut...see the point?

Honestly, everyone can hate Tiffany''s all the want, but the truth of the matter is a bride has a right to be proud of her ring, stressing whatever points she likes, be it size, cut, or clarity or age, or retailer. What is the big deal?

It''s not my money...so if they say it''s T&Co and it''s tiny...I say it''s pretty...if it''s huge and from 47th street, I say it''s pretty...to me, the shaped stones get my compliments, and the settings...

Let people enjoy what they want! You spent enough on it, you might as well love it to death and enjoy it, is what I say...
ITA except that I find it hugely irritating when people pull an elitist card - because really the hype is over a brand name and that''s all fine and dandy but it is still very irritating when people lord 7 letters. Its one thing to be proud, and its one thing to brag... and it is quite fine to have different opinions and know what you want for yourself... but it is just as bad to imply that yours is better because of those 7 letters as it is to imply that someone is an idiot for spending extra on those 7 letters. Paying extra for the name SHOULD make you feel satisfied and confident in your choice... but it shouldn''t make you feel as though your choice was the objective better choice for all time.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2007 5:46:30 PM

Why is everyone so dead set against bragging about your stone?......Let people enjoy what they want! You spent enough on it, you might as well love it to death and enjoy it, is what I say...
I totally agree.

chiefneil

Shiny_Rock
A few years back I got DW a diamond earring and necklace set from Tiffany''s. She really loves them and I don''t know if the design is copyrighted or not, but a few of her friends have recognized where they''re from. She doesn''t go around telling people they''re from Tiffany''s (well, except for her sister and parents
2.gif
), but I do think she quite likes the fact that they are from Tiffany''s even if I probably did overpay.

It''s not for everyone, but it''s somewhat like having a D, VVS1 stone versus a G, VS2. You know they look just the same, but you know what you have and it gives you a little warm feeling inside.

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Their other (copyrighted) designs are absolutely ugliest things I''ve ever seen in my life - my opinion only of course. You are entitled to your opinion!!!

OUT OF LINE!!! are you calling Tiffany lovers that spend $2,500,000,000- a year STUPID!!!

Although, I am a shareholder - so maybe I should be encouraging people to buy ;-) You are a great investor...., purchasing stock in a Company you feel are creating "UGLY" products!!! Keep up the good job...

LuciferSam

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/16/2007 9:37:32 PM
Author: DiaGem

Their other (copyrighted) designs are absolutely ugliest things I''ve ever seen in my life - my opinion only of course. You are entitled to your opinion!!!

OUT OF LINE!!! are you calling Tiffany lovers that spend $2,500,000,000- a year STUPID!!!

Although, I am a shareholder - so maybe I should be encouraging people to buy ;-) You are a great investor...., purchasing stock in a Company you feel are creating ''UGLY'' products!!! Keep up the good job...
Don''t call me out of line - I think it''s ridiculous. I think a lot of other products and brand names are stupid as well... don''t get all bent out of shape.

I own stock in that company, because in my opinion they are fantastic at making money off people. You think people purchase stock in a company for any other reason than profit? If I could find a company that would sell you an ice cube from the refridgerator for $50 I''d purchase their stock also - unfortunately Tiffany & Co is the closest I can get to that scenario.

You know, if you like their own designs - then that''s great. I can''t imagine every art form is appreciated by everyone - one man''s art is another man''s nonsense. You and everyone else are certainly entitled to your opinions.

The truth however, I think surrounds the little blue box more than the item inside. I''ve heard many women say how they wanted to get a ring from Tiffany''s... I''ve seen them fall all over themselves for those crappy silver things that I feel are worth about 12 bucks... and THAT''S why I bought the stock - because I felt the customers were being ripped off enough by a $0.15 cent box to pay thousands more than another retailer.

So... if you like their rings, great... if you like the blue box, I''ll think of you when I sell.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2007 9:59:19 PM
The truth however, I think surrounds the little blue box more than the item inside.
We can sit here and say that little blue boxes are stupid but diamonds themselves are just as overpriced. And that doesn''t stop every last loyal pricescoper from loving the hell out of them and spending thousands and thousands and sometimes thousands more - on just that. Why? Because we love them! Why spend money on Tiffany? Because you love them!

Good news! If you don''t like tiffany''s - don''t buy them! If you don''t like diamonds - don''t buy those either! But to turn your nose up so voraciously at one while succumbing to the other is just... silly LOL

Miranda

Ideal_Rock

Date: 3/16/2007 9:37:32 PM
Author: DiaGem

Although, I am a shareholder - so maybe I should be encouraging people to buy ;-) You are a great investor...., purchasing stock in a Company you feel are creating ''UGLY'' products!!! Keep up the good job...
Don''t call me out of line - I think it''s ridiculous. I think a lot of other products and brand names are stupid as well... don''t get all bent out of shape.

I own stock in that company, because in my opinion they are fantastic at making money off people. You think people purchase stock in a company for any other reason than profit? If I could find a company that would sell you an ice cube from the refridgerator for $50 I''d purchase their stock also - unfortunately Tiffany & Co is the closest I can get to that scenario.

You know, if you like their own designs - then that''s great. I can''t imagine every art form is appreciated by everyone - one man''s art is another man''s nonsense. You and everyone else are certainly entitled to your opinions.

The truth however, I think surrounds the little blue box more than the item inside. I''ve heard many women say how they wanted to get a ring from Tiffany''s... I''ve seen them fall all over themselves for those crappy silver things that I feel are worth about 12 bucks... and THAT''S why I bought the stock - because I felt the customers were being ripped off enough by a $0.15 cent box to pay thousands more than another retailer.

So... if you like their rings, great... if you like the blue box, I''ll think of you when I sell.
Do you really expect for people to read this and NOT get bent out of shape? You are being insulting and intentionally rude, Lucifer.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/16/2007 2:02:02 PM
To me, Tiffany''s is worth it if you are getting a branded cut, or a complex setting, or if you just want the name and value.

I have friends who wanted T&CO RB solitaires and i convinced them to go and price it outside was well. They decide on size or higher color if they don''t choose TCo, and if they chose Tiffany they were OK with the fact that they could have had a larger stone, but wanted the brand on their ring for whatever reason.

Personally, I would get an RB from anywhere and the Novo to me is also just as interchangeable, but a Lucida, Legacy and some of their higher pieces are irreplecatable. I think if you are budgeting, TCo is likely not the place for you, as you are not getting a ''deal''. If you are looking for high cost items that might be heirloom or investment, then TCo is just fine, because you are not looking for a ''deal''...

That''s just my $.02...

I completely agree with you Nicrez. I''ve never wanted a RB and D and I have searched high and low for a ring that we both adore, and we found it in the Lucida. We''ve looked at copies, and similar rings to it, but not one matched it in the way we want (obviously as its been patented). To me personally, the fact that its from Tiffanys doesnt both me at all. We dont have Tiffanys in Ireland, so it wouldnt be hugely prestigious or anything over here. If another jewellers did the lucida exactly as it was, then I''d go with them.

Oh yeah, and when I pick it up in July, I wont be screaming from the rooftops that its from Tiffanys. If someone asks where I bought it, I''ll be happy to tell them but Im not going to go about telling everyone as soon as they take a peak at my ring. For me personally, I wont be buying it for the name, just for the ring.

Everyone should be able to shop where they like and get the engagement ring that they like, without all the negative comments. I can understand that some people disagree with someone paying the extra money when they buy at Tiffanys, but each to their own. I also dont think that their settings can be described as ugly, seeing as they are some of the most copied settings that Ive ever seen. For me personally, the settings would be the reason that I''d shop their.

Good luck with your search Pinkie!

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock

I don''t understand why you would be humiliated if your g/f told people her ring was from Tiffanys. Surely if she was really excited about something you bought her you would be really pleased if she showed off a little.

Everybody likes different designs - it would be incredibly boring if we all liked the same stuff! I would never ever be as mean to say somebodys ring was ugly. That is really bad!

If this is you being subtle I would hate to see you get right to the point! You are rather rude in my opinion. There are a lot of fans of T&Co on PS and you have probably offended most of them.

Maisie

IronMikey

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/16/2007 10:28:19 PM
Author: Cehrabehra

The truth however, I think surrounds the little blue box more than the item inside.

We can sit here and say that little blue boxes are stupid but diamonds themselves are just as overpriced. And that doesn''t stop every last loyal pricescoper from loving the hell out of them and spending thousands and thousands and sometimes thousands more - on just that. Why? Because we love them! Why spend money on Tiffany? Because you love them!

Good news! If you don''t like tiffany''s - don''t buy them! If you don''t like diamonds - don''t buy those either! But to turn your nose up so voraciously at one while succumbing to the other is just... silly LOL
I think this opinion is really moronic, not the people who shop at Tiffany''s. If your GF has in her head (for whatever reason) that she wants a T and Co. ER, or any other piece of jeweler, its worth the extra cost, because at the end of the day it''s all about making her happy.

Sure you can say that a loose diamond from store X would appraise for the same value as a Tiffany''s stone that cost $2,000 more but which is more important; (1) the stone''s value for insurance/resale purposes, or (2) the value the recipient attaches to the stone.

People aren''t stupid for shopping at Tiffany''s if they''re buying what they like, isn''t that what it''s all about?

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m echoing what some have said, but here''s my $0.02.

We bought a Lucida years ago for 2 reasons: 1) We didn''t know anything about diamonds, and paid for peace of mind; 2) I wanted a Lucida, which is unique to Tiffany''s. I''ve been searching for a trade-up of my Lucida (I don''t like it in a bigger size), but haven''t found anything unique that would justify the Tiffany premium. Kudoes to PS for educating me!

diamondandy

Rough_Rock
A BMW is a BMW, a Tiffany is a Tiffany.

I mean this as no disrespect whatsoever... and this will sound somewhat flagrant - but it''s purely honest only.

When I was dating, and I''d meet a woman that said they wanted anything from Tiffany''s - I''d pretty much automatically think they were an idiot and marvel at how "romantic" or "exclusive" some corporation that''s traded on the New York Stock Exchange made their name.

Nobody ever knows if something was bought at Tiffany''s - and I''d say the consensus in this world is that if you bought something from Tiffany''s .... you little blue box is proof of getting duped.

For the life of me, I can''t understand on any level whatsoever - what is so great about buying what is basically a commodity, from a particular retailer? I wouldn''t buy a BMW from one dealership at a 30% markup for any reason .... why would I buy precious stones and metals from one?

Nicrez

Ideal_Rock
This is an age old issue here... Are you expecting an answer or an argument?

I would never spend money on a collectable stamp worth hundreds of dollars. Someone else would.

I can buy no frills orange juice but I prefer Tropicana. It''s more expensive and to me, it tastes better than say generic brand. My choice, my taste, my finances.

Judge not, lest ye be judged.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
arg...tiffany''s threads sometimes get out of line...

Ty Cobb

Shiny_Rock
It all comes down to what you want. I bought a Tiff engagement ring for a couple of reasons. 1. I knew I wasn''t getting ripped off by a stone cut wrongly, disproportionatly, or graded higher then it actually was. When I bought my wife''s .96 VS1 E RB tiffany setting with bead set band, I knew it was what it was supposed to be. I knew that I wasn''t paying for an E and getting an F or G and it wasn''t laser drilled or anything else. Plus, if you get it appraised with GIA and it grades lower then T&C say, they will give you a full refund. Peace of mind when buying diamonds is a good thing. 2. I didn''t want to order online and get a diamond I couldn''t see prior to buying. 3. Call me stupid if you want, but I think there is a romantic notion to buying a T&C ring, Could I have bought a much larger rock for the same price, certainly, however, it will be worth the 1500-2000 bucks extra I paid for the enjoyment the wife and I will get from knowing it was from Tiffany''s. 4. The heirloom factor. I like the idea that my great grand kids and further down will be able to see it is a T&C ring and know what that means.

I have nothing against those of you who bought elsewhere, as long as she is happy with the ring, but to me this is probably the single biggest purchase I will ever make, and I wanted it right. I''ll buy a house or two sure, but this is more important to me.

Call me stupid if you want, however, she was thrilled I was thrilled, and you know what, we have been married 4 years and not once have I thought to myself, geez I wish I had that 2k I could have saved on the e-ring. Its money, you are going to blow it on something, why not blow it on something she will treasure the rest of her life.

For those of you who don''t want a T&C congrats on saving the money. I checked out others, I could have bought Cartier, but it didn''t have the romantic sentiment to it that T&C does for me, thats right ME. I looked at HoF and H&A, but neither of them really appealed to me, and to be honest when they shined the light through the HoF, it kind of struct me as gimicky.

BunniBling

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/4/2007 5:48:52 PM
Author: kcoursolle

kcoursolle:

I''m new to PS and I *know* not to launch the Tiffany missile.
2.gif

LOL!!

-J

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/4/2007 6:44:35 PM
Author: BunniBling

Date: 5/4/2007 5:48:52 PM
Author: kcoursolle

kcoursolle:

I''m new to PS and I *know* not to launch the Tiffany missile.
2.gif

LOL!!

-J
It''s nobody''s fault, just some people have very strong feelings about tiffany versus not tiffany. In the end it''s all up to preferences, and some people just want the blue box. I encourage these people to check out signedpieces.com and try to get a pre-owned piece so they don''t have to deal with as much markup.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Haha, well it IS Friday, LOL!!

WestSideStory

Rough_Rock
I have a Tiffany solitaire and it is BEAUTIFUL. I spent a lot of time deciding whether the premium would be worth it (like a year). I realized I could barely tell the difference between slight changes in color or size - but WOW that 6 prong setting really made a difference. Some of the replicas are interesting but just aren''t it. So add that to that fact that the color and clarity grading are more reliable, and (I am probably in the minority for worrying about this) that if lab created gems ever hit the market in a big way that Tiffany will still represent the real deal, then a little bit of extra money (to me) was worth it.

One could argue that denim is denim, so why pay $120 for a pair of Guess jeans when you can get a pair at Target for $15? People are willing to pay a premium for a designer''s flair and level of quality whether it is in clothing or jewelry. Cut quality is obviously critical. But investing in Tiffany is like not only getting a beautiful body, but a gorgeous designer swimsuit to wear over it.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Call me naive but I do not get why some people get so incensed about Tiffany's. This is a free market economy, we have choices from the low to the high end and all things in between. NO ONE is forced at gun point to buy from Tiffany's...unless a girl just has her heart set on it and the fiance knows that is the only thing that will make her happy, which is almost worse!!! But all kidding aside, Tiffany's is not a charity. It is a business that turns a profit. If the educated consumer decides NOT to spend the extra, and finds something nearly identical for a lot less, more power to them. But there will always be people who want the experience of Tiffany's...from the blue box to the nice follow up and customer service you get long after you have bought. To each his own. I would never be so rude and I would never tell someone their ring is not nice, it is not about ME at that point, but them, and what they want and can afford. Period. I would not be personally affronted that their marketing works and that there are folks who want to walk in their doors and come out with a ring.

I have had two rings from Tiffany's. And my hubby and I are not stupid or uneducated people either. To post something like that is stupid to me, because it is not YOUR money, so what do you care if someone shops there? Especially if you have stock...

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
I'm confused...The OP asked her question this morning, which was simply about how a T&Co. cut compares to others. She didn't ask for opinions on whether or not it was worth it to buy from T&Co. Just about the cut of their stones. If she prefers a T&Co ring, why should anyone bash her or anyone else for liking their offerings? I just got a gorgeous antique cut ering. I freaking adore it. I dont expect everyone else to love antique cuts. If you do, terrific. If you like new "old cut" styles, great. If you prefer modern RBs, fantastic. If fancy shapes make your heart sing, go for it. Similarly, if you bought your ring at a B&M, great. If you bought online, terrific. But honestly, I dont see the point of bashing someone because of WHERE they bought their stone. Some people like the hype, the story, or the history of buying a ring at a place like Tiffanys or Cartier. It's not for me to say they're stupid for buying at those places. If it makes them happy, that's great. It doesn't make them stupid for buying at a B&M just because they could have gotten a "better deal" with an online vendor. Maybe they dont want/like hearts and arrows in their stones. Why is it okay to constantly beat people over the head with the mantra that they should have "bought it at Whiteflash" but someone cant say they WANT to buy something at Tiffanys? I dont get it.

Getting back to the OP, what I'd be interested in knowing is if anyone has purchased rings at Tiffanys, got them cert'd and how those certs measured up to the Tiffanys grading.

ETA: Beacon, thanks for addressing the OP with your comments. I find it interesting that Tiffany stones can come back from GIA with anything less than "excellent" for their cuts. Interesting...

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
I have noticed the huge emotions that the Tiffany discussions provoke on PS.

Tiffany does provide a needed service, at a certain price. Realistically, the majority of people, especially men, do not want to have to fool around and study and deal with many unknown vendors to purchase an expensive product they are only going to (theoretically) buy once. It is nicer to just go to a place like Tiffany and get a product you can have confidence in.

I have items from Tiff and I like them and enjoy the store and especially the after purchase service. That much said, I would buy from pretty much anyone if they had the item I wanted at the price I wanted. But I am a jewelry hobbyist and enjoy kicking a million tires and taking the time.

I do think the advent of the GIA cut grade will affect the stones at Tiff. At auction I have seen many Tiffany stones that have been sent to GIA and come to auction with the certs. I have seen them all the way down to "good" cuts. Obviously in the future Tiffany will have to shoot for the "excellent" grade.

B/c of this I expect only top cut stones at Tiffany in the future. Experience has shown me that in past times, not all Tiffany stones were cut that great. But on the whole I love Tiffany - it''s got an aura.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results