shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany CUT (round brilliant)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
What''s wrong with ME? I ask because I never seem to get good service at Tiffany and it always gives me the heebeejeebees. The salesladies seem impatient, harried, and a bit snotty. Mind you, I have Tiffany pieces that I love, so this isn''t about the products (though I''d never buy an RB from them).

But for a ''shopping experience'', good service, friendly welcoming staff, I put Graff, Cartier, and Bulgari WAAAAAY ahead of Tiffany.

But it sounds like it''s just ME! Maybe I''m emitting some kind of pheromone the staff don''t like or something.

BigDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/5/2007 9:15:01 AM
Author: Independent Gal
What''s wrong with ME? I ask because I never seem to get good service at Tiffany and it always gives me the heebeejeebees. The salesladies seem impatient, harried, and a bit snotty. Mind you, I have Tiffany pieces that I love, so this isn''t about the products (though I''d never buy an RB from them).

But for a ''shopping experience'', good service, friendly welcoming staff, I put Graff, Cartier, and Bulgari WAAAAAY ahead of Tiffany.

But it sounds like it''s just ME! Maybe I''m emitting some kind of pheromone the staff don''t like or something.
It''s NOT just you. I know a lot of people who have been very dissatisfied with the service at Tiffany''s. One of my friends recently bought a 1 ct solitaire there for $15k (!) and he can''t even get anyone to look at them when they go to have it cleaned. I have seen them refuse to accept a ring for a size exchange without a receipt (it was a gift still in the box, she just needed a smaller size.) I have seen them refuse to help a customer find a last-minute gift that they didn''t have in stock. I even had a sales rep roll his eyes at me when I asked to see a ring.

All of that is hard to tolerate when you''re paying that kind of a premium, partially for service!

Ty Cobb

Shiny_Rock
Hmm, well I ussually use the store at the Galleria in Houston and have always had exemplary service. I am generally helped as soon as I indicate I have an interest in something. If on the other hand I appear to just be looking, I do appreciate that they don''t hound me about needing any help.

As for the resizing...personally I totally agree with requiring a receipt, it is a common sense business practice if you ask me.

I have heard of people having issues at Tiffany. Personally I have never been one of them and have never witnessed it. Maybe it is the part of the country you are in, I don''t know, but I have been to many Jewelry stores that make my skin crawl with how pushy and annoying the sales staff can be and always appreciate the toned down style displayed by Cartier and Tiffanys staffs.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/5/2007 2:11:55 AM
Author: surfgirl
I''m confused...The OP asked her question this morning, which was simply about how a T&Co. cut compares to others. She didn''t ask for opinions on whether or not it was worth it to buy from T&Co. Just about the cut of their stones. If she prefers a T&Co ring, why should anyone bash her or anyone else for liking their offerings? I just got a gorgeous antique cut ering. I freaking adore it. I dont expect everyone else to love antique cuts. If you do, terrific. If you like new ''old cut'' styles, great. If you prefer modern RBs, fantastic. If fancy shapes make your heart sing, go for it. Similarly, if you bought your ring at a B&M, great. If you bought online, terrific. But honestly, I dont see the point of bashing someone because of WHERE they bought their stone. Some people like the hype, the story, or the history of buying a ring at a place like Tiffanys or Cartier. It''s not for me to say they''re stupid for buying at those places. If it makes them happy, that''s great. It doesn''t make them stupid for buying at a B&M just because they could have gotten a ''better deal'' with an online vendor. Maybe they dont want/like hearts and arrows in their stones. Why is it okay to constantly beat people over the head with the mantra that they should have ''bought it at Whiteflash'' but someone cant say they WANT to buy something at Tiffanys? I dont get it.

Getting back to the OP, what I''d be interested in knowing is if anyone has purchased rings at Tiffanys, got them cert''d and how those certs measured up to the Tiffanys grading.

ETA: Beacon, thanks for addressing the OP with your comments. I find it interesting that Tiffany stones can come back from GIA with anything less than ''excellent'' for their cuts. Interesting...
Must remember not to keep bashing anyone around the head - its very wrong of me to try and save them lots of money!
2.gif

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 5/5/2007 5:09:01 PM
Author: Maisie

Date: 5/5/2007 2:11:55 AM
I''m confused...The OP asked her question this morning, which was simply about how a T&Co. cut compares to others. She didn''t ask for opinions on whether or not it was worth it to buy from T&Co. Just about the cut of their stones. If she prefers a T&Co ring, why should anyone bash her or anyone else for liking their offerings? I just got a gorgeous antique cut ering. I freaking adore it. I dont expect everyone else to love antique cuts. If you do, terrific. If you like new ''old cut'' styles, great. If you prefer modern RBs, fantastic. If fancy shapes make your heart sing, go for it. Similarly, if you bought your ring at a B&M, great. If you bought online, terrific. But honestly, I dont see the point of bashing someone because of WHERE they bought their stone. Some people like the hype, the story, or the history of buying a ring at a place like Tiffanys or Cartier. It''s not for me to say they''re stupid for buying at those places. If it makes them happy, that''s great. It doesn''t make them stupid for buying at a B&M just because they could have gotten a ''better deal'' with an online vendor. Maybe they dont want/like hearts and arrows in their stones. Why is it okay to constantly beat people over the head with the mantra that they should have ''bought it at Whiteflash'' but someone cant say they WANT to buy something at Tiffanys? I dont get it.

Getting back to the OP, what I''d be interested in knowing is if anyone has purchased rings at Tiffanys, got them cert''d and how those certs measured up to the Tiffanys grading.

ETA: Beacon, thanks for addressing the OP with your comments. I find it interesting that Tiffany stones can come back from GIA with anything less than ''excellent'' for their cuts. Interesting...
Must remember not to keep bashing anyone around the head - its very wrong of me to try and save them lots of money!
2.gif
Sorry to barge in...

But its not always about the money only...

Ty Cobb

Shiny_Rock
Agreed. Just as it is not always about getting the largest rock possible. Or the absolute most perfect stone. To some there is a romance attached to getting it from Tiffanys.

To others there isn''t. It is all about getting the best stone for the best deal.

Both are fine, and both views have people who think it is their job to try and change the views of people with the opposite view.
34.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
You are very right but I feel that it should be an option to save some money and get a much nicer diamond..... then armed with more information the buyer can make a more informed decision.
1.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/5/2007 5:18:45 PM
Author: Ty Cobb
Agreed. Just as it is not always about getting the largest rock possible. Or the absolute most perfect stone. To some there is a romance attached to getting it from Tiffanys.

To others there isn''t. It is all about getting the best stone for the best deal.

Both are fine, and both views have people who think it is their job to try and change the views of people with the opposite view.
34.gif
Well..... I don''t feel like I am on a one woman mission to change anyones mind. I simply show them options and leave them to decide for themselves. I started out thinking I wanted a Tiffany ring. Then I decided I wanted something slightly different.

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
But Maisie, the point Ty and I were trying to make is that many time people aren''t asking for how to save money, they''re just asking about the aesthetics of the stone in question. Sometimes it''s not about the number crunching, it''s about how a ring or stone speaks to someone. I think most people who venture in here know about the online vendors and their pricing since there are ads a plenty. If that''s the way they wanted to go, I''m sure they would.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/5/2007 5:26:52 PM
But Maisie, the point Ty and I were trying to make is that many time people aren''t asking for how to save money, they''re just asking about the aesthetics of the stone in question. Sometimes it''s not about the number crunching, it''s about how a ring or stone speaks to someone. I think most people who venture in here know about the online vendors and their pricing since there are ads a plenty. If that''s the way they wanted to go, I''m sure they would.
I don''t agree that most people who come here automatically know about every vendor here but I will agree to disagree
1.gif

umgopooh

Rough_Rock
Newbie, but an attempt to answer your question:

If you are looking at stones > 1 carat, Tiffany will provide you with both the Tiffany''s cert as well as the GIA cert. Also, if they don''t have the size you are looking for in-house, they can bring 4 or 5 of them in-house and you can make a decision after eyeballing them.

I got the dimensions ahead of time, plugged them into the cut advisor formula and then eyeballed the stones to see which had the most ''flash'' so to speak. Interestingly, the stone that had the best ''Cut Advisor'' score seemed to have the most bling. Cut does make a huge difference, in that the wife has had a number of compliments, especially from some of her colleagues on a side by side comparison.

Looked online as well as as B&M when shopping, and yes, you pay a premium (about 30% from the closest combo I put together on Good-Old-Gold. However, I was limited in the fact that my wife is very particular about details, and she couldn''t find a six-prong that she liked quite as much as the Tiffanys setting. And since I didn''t want her to be glaring down at her E-ring for the rest of our lives...

I think the service, at any store, improves markedly when you know people at the store, and they know you buy stuff there. Since we''re both profressionals, we''ll dress VERY casually during the weekends when we typically shop where we typically shop, and I wouldn''t expect the best of service from anyone dressed as we are. However, when the salesperson I bought the e-ring from (our wedding rings and the pendant she wore at the wedding) is at the store, he''ll pull out anything she want''s to try on.

My two cents.

winternight

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/16/2007 11:33:34 AM
Author: Cehrabehra

Date: 3/15/2007 5:30:09 PM
Author: winternight
I''ve seen H&A stones when I was looking around - just not a fan, honestly I couldn''t see what the big deal was about. I thought I could see some sharp angles in the cut - like the arrows or whatever. But if you love it great - I think everyone should love their e-ring. Everyone has different tastes and personally I prefer my Tiffany ring, although I liked Cartier too. I saw some nice rings in other shops as well but nothing that really spoke ''classic'' too me.
It doesn''t surprise me that you find fault in every ring but Tiffany any more than that you have embraced the elitism to the extent you loathe knockoffs. You, m''dear, have been tiffany twisted since the moment you arrived ;-) And I''m really happy for you that you''ve found the blue box at the end of the rainbow :)
These Tiffany threads are ridiculous! I picked out my ring after looking at many jewelry stores, including some recommended vendors in NYC. I don''t see why you''re so insecure that you have to comment on what my opinion about a H&A diamond is. I tried it - did not like it.

Elitism? Because we shop at Tiffanys? Are you kidding me? Are you an elitist for owning a diamond - a luxury that many people in this world can''t afford? Do you complain about a Mercedes that your neighbor owns. Besides I own lots of nice jewelry that isn''t from Tiffanys - most of it handmade in the Middle East. Love it. Oh wait, do you not like ethnic jewelry, because really I care.

We bought my ring from signedpieces which I found out about on this forum, but frankly I''m tired of seeing petty, childish comments about T&Co. by those who are don''t shop there - if you chose not to shop somewhere why do you have to comment about it? Because its not ''the best buy'' well we aren''t buying the diamond to resell I care somewhat about value but mainly its a pretty piece of jewelry. Most jewelry in this country is very overpriced because it isn''t sold by weight, I don''t buy jewelry for the gold/platinum weight I buy it for the design. Otherwise I wouldn''t consider Tiffany, Cartier, or Leon M. - who I hope to order something from and who I learned about from this forum.

People have different tastes and if you''re going to act like a jealous child when someone buys from a luxury store then I feel very sorry for you - maybe you don''t think you''re worth it.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
i know, let''s bump an old thread and start arguing!
35.gif

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/8/2007 4:17:36 PM
Author: belle
i know, let''s bump an old thread and start arguing!
35.gif
aww can''t we just hug instead?
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results