shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany classic but tapered to diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

newbie999

Rough_Rock
Hi guys,

Hope my thread title made sense. I am 100% in love with the Tiffany Classic setting but I have small hands and hence thin fingers and the uniform width of the band looks a bit strange on me.
Our jeweller showed us a similar setting but the band tapers as it approaches the diamond which is much more flattering on me.
I''m worried that the thinner band will be too flimsy, am I being paranoid??

Oh and why would the jeweller say that we are better off with 18k white gold as you can''t resize platinum?

I''m am pretty excited so I apologise for poor grammar or spelling....:)

B

newbie999

Rough_Rock
Might as well tell you about the diamond too. I don''t have all the info but will take more notes next time we meet with our diamond guy.

0.76 D VVS2
5.90 X 5.94 x 3.61mm
Depth: ?
Table: ?
Crown ht: ?
Pavilion ht: ?
Girdle: thin to medium
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Culet: ?
Fluorescents: None
Graining: ?
Cute grade: excellent

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/11/2007 7:40:29 AM
Author:newbie999

I'm worried that the thinner band will be too flimsy, am I being paranoid??

Oh and why would the jeweller say that we are better off with 18k white gold as you can't resize platinum?

first of all, welcome to PS..as to your questions..
1. The band should be fine. many ring designs taper toward the stone, I honestly wouldn't worry about it.

2. don't know why your jeweller would say you can't resize platinum, but that is absolutely false and untrue..I'd be careful if he's not being honest about the platinum, what else could he be dishonest about? Nothing wrong with 18k WG at all if that is what you want, but WG can get a yellow tint and might need replating every now and then. many jewelers push WG b/c they have more of it in stock and plat. prices are high right now.

3. as for the diamond, we need all the numbers but I personally think D VVS is overkill unless you are set on the color/clarity. you can drop down to a G VS2 and still would have a white eyeclean stone and a larger one at that, if size is important to you at all.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Your jeweler is either flat out LYING about the platinum, or just doesn't know anything about it.

I would run far far away because it's the last thing from the truth. Many people prefer platinum because it's more malleable than WG so it's safer for the diamonds. Why do you think almost all gold rings still have plat prongs?

If you want something like you're describing, try the Whiteflash Legato Sleek Line. The head on the ring is gorgeous, it's a great price for platinum, and it tapers in at the top. No offense to your jeweler, but you can also get a GREAT diamond from WF, WITH all the numbers to make sure you're getting a great performer. If the information you gave is all the jeweler had, I would run even further!

My ring tapers a bit and I love it. I don't think it compromises the integrity of the ring at all.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/11/2007 7:40:29 AM
Author:newbie999

I''m worried that the thinner band will be too flimsy, am I being paranoid??

Oh and why would the jeweller say that we are better off with 18k white gold as you can''t resize platinum?
To answer your first question, it''s not "thinner" if it''s made correctly. When tapered a shank just has it''s metal shaped more vertically closer to a diamond rather than "along the finger". If you are still concerned i will make a picture to explain it better, there is the same amount of metal in crossection.

Yes, you can re-size platinum.

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe he meant HE does not/cannot resize platinum. A lot of jewelers don''t work with platinum in-house. It requires different equipent and expertise. Just a guess ...

newbie999

Rough_Rock
Wow thanks so much for your replies :)

Mrssalvo - I''m very concerned about the platinum, you could be right about them trying to push white gold.
As for the specs of the diamond, we are pretty set on colour and clarity, and it might just a matter of us "knowing", does that sound silly? I am not really able to go up on size as I have tiny fingers and anything bigger than 0.80C looks absolutely ridiculous...lucky for my fiance.

Neat Freak - I really hope they weren''t lying, they were so helpful in all other respects.
Thanks for the reassurance re: tapering. I too think it makes the ring look more elegant and less chunky on my finger.
As for the diamond specs, they had the full GIA certificate, I just didn''t have the presence of mind to take down all the info at the time.
By the way, I''m in Australia, so I''m reluctant to purchase online from the US.
http://whiteflash.com/Engagement-Rings/Styles/Solitaire/-Legato--Sleek-Line_1118.htm I checked out the Legato Sleek Line anyway, and it''s very nice, I will definitely keep that style in mind if Plan A falls in a heap.

Pricescope - I will definitely make sure the band is not actually thinner when we meet with them again. I have a massive checklist for out next visit.

Decodelighted - If they can make my ring in platinum in the first place, is there a legitimate reason why they then can''t resize?

B xoxox

newbie999

Rough_Rock
I rang the jeweller in the end as I had gotten myself so worried.
He explained that he suggested whitegold to us due to our budget and that they could do platinum for us if we wanted it. I''m still a little confused, maybe he just said it without meaning it at the time.

I got some more info from the GIA certificate:-
0.76 D VVS2
5.90 X 5.94 x 3.61mm
Depth: 60.9%
Table: 57%
Crown angle: 34deg
Pavilion angle: 41deg
Girdle: thin to medium
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Culet: pointed
Fluorescents: None
Cute grade: excellent

Thanks so much for all your input guys, I''m so grateful :)

newbie999

Rough_Rock
I also have a tentative price on this diamond. They have quoted us AUD$8000, which is about US$6700 at the current conversion. I think we are resigned to the fact that we will pay more for our diamonds down-under but from approaching jewellers and diamond dealers, this seems like a reasonable price.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/12/2007 1:44:13 AM
Author: newbie999

Decodelighted - If they can make my ring in platinum in the first place, is there a legitimate reason why they then can''t resize?

B xoxox

I''m not deco but there is no reason that platinum cannot be sized. many might advice against huge sizing jumps like going from a 10 down to a 5 or something, but to size up or down a size or two isn''t a problem on a plain plat. band..

newbie999

Rough_Rock
Thanks Mssalvo and everyone else for their advice! :)

We ended up going for white gold to leave the option for resetting in the future.

I ended up being a size 7, which is very tiny apparently, I didn''t realise I was THAT small.

I''m so excited, I''ll will post pics when I finally get to wear it.....which of course depends on my soon-to-be-fiance....:)

Yea, its not a terrible deal, and I am sure it will be beautiful. is that a ring size 7 usa? I thought AUS used letters?

newbie999

Rough_Rock
I think it can vary in Australia as to what sizing system is used.
I think my middle finger came out a J so I assume my ring finger can only be smaller. Would that make the 7 be the Japanese system? or millimetres?

I have no idea when I''ll actually be able to wear it, it''s hidden somewhere...:)

newbie999

Rough_Rock
Here are the pics as promised. I'm sorry it took so long to get them up. I apologise for the chipped nails and terrible photos, but I could not get them any sharper. The pics just don't do the beautiful stone justice....

The setting we ended up getting is not the Tiffany Classic, as much as I love it, the band was just too wide. To this is a variation on the same theme.

Thanks again for all the help this forum has provided!!! :)

DSC01696i.JPG

newbie999

Rough_Rock

This pic makes the base of the ring look funny, but it's like a donut.

DSC01754.JPG

newbie999

Rough_Rock
Last one, in profile.....

I''m not sure whether to start a new thread or not, but now my dilemma is what kind of wedding band to get.
I want at least a half circle of diamonds, but I don''t know how they should be set and whst the band will have to be like in order to look ok next to the e-ring. I''m fully aware that there will be a gap between them but I am almost 100% sure that I don''t want a curved wedding band.

DSC01749.JPG

wolftress

Brilliant_Rock
Hi newbie! Congratulations on your beautiful ring
1.gif

A lot of PS-ers have solitaires with eternity bands and it''s a really classic and elegant look.

There are lots of great pictures in here that should give you an idea of what you might like: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-e-ring-diamond-eternity-w-bands.25352/

vintagebling

Shiny_Rock
I really like it! The head on it is slightly different (in a good way) than the standard Tiffany head. Would love to see more photos! What company did you buy the ring from?

yea, I really like that crown alot! very well done!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very very nice. I really like the setting!

angeline

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful stone and setting. I love the taper. Congrats! Does this mean he popped the question already?

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock
Love your new ring!! Thanks for all the photos. Even though some a tad blurry they still reveal alot of information on the design. I think you made a great choice!!
36.gif

My jeweler called that taper detail...a pinched shank. Not sure if that is correct, but if it is, it may be helpful to a future reader of this thread.

I also had the fear of platinum put into me by a most reputable retailer. His store is well respected. But most aren''t aware is does not have an inhouse jeweler. He can polish all forms of gold for you as you wait...but if you have platinum you must return at a later date to get your polished...serviced...or sized platinum. I told him the amount I spend on a piece, I don''t want to part with it as it travels to another destination. So he took a well worn piece of plat in the back and was gone for five minutes. He showed me what spot he attempted to polish with his low speed machine gold metal polishing pad/compound. There was absolutely no difference in it. He thought it would steer me to white gold and the better purchase price of the white gold. He said I CAN rhodium plate in house for you and your piece will be shinny reflective metal always.

There is a different level of work involved in the care and keep of platinum...that is if you want it to be a shinny reflective finish. I am wondering if he (your jeweler) had tired of the broken record play back in explanation and just decided to spill something silly instead. I know that is a reach, but any jeweler is aware of all metals...so this is not the first time it was posed to him. I also think he wanted the sell...and it is possible that the platinum price had already met with hesitation, and therefore he was trying to console a buyer thinking gold is substandard. Which it ISN''T. So don''t ever let anyone here or anywhere tell you gold is not as good as platinum
2.gif
. Each have their merits and will therefore continue to be used in jewelry.

Again...just wanted to add something for a future reader...I hope it was helpful.

DKS

newbie999

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/13/2007 8:28:42 AM
Author: wolftress
Hi newbie! Congratulations on your beautiful ring
1.gif

A lot of PS-ers have solitaires with eternity bands and it's a really classic and elegant look.

There are lots of great pictures in here that should give you an idea of what you might like: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/show-me-your-e-ring-diamond-eternity-w-bands.25352/
Thanks Wolftress!! :)
I love the eternity band combo but I feel it looks funny due to the fact that my e-ring tapers so much.
There is another thread at the moment titled "setting question" https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/setting-question.67227/, and the prongs of a shared prong wedding band appear to be wearing away at the e-ring prongs. That would be my main concern as I prefer the shared prong to the channel set (all things being equal).
Thanks for that link, I will have a look for someone else with a similar e-ring to me.

newbie999

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/13/2007 9:07:59 AM
Author: vintagebling
I really like it! The head on it is slightly different (in a good way) than the standard Tiffany head. Would love to see more photos! What company did you buy the ring from?
Thanks Vintagebling!!
I really like the head too, don''t get me wrong, I will always love the Tiffany setting but I find this one makes the diamond pop as it appears to be ALL DIAMOND when looking from above.
I''d be happy to post more pics, but I don''t want to annoy readers, the pics are so big!
I''m in Sydney Australia, and the jeweller is a small boutique here.

newbie999

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/13/2007 9:33:23 AM
Author: WorkingHardforSmallRewards
yea, I really like that crown alot! very well done!

What do you like about the crown?? We did do a lot of reading prior to settling on a diamond, but the numbers are still a little beyond me. In the end, we just made sure the stats were good on paper and the diamond looked sparkly next to other ones.

Author: Stone Hunter
Very very nice. I really like the setting!

Thank you, I''m was a little worried about posting it amongst all these beautiful and elaborate settings.

Author: angeline
Beautiful stone and setting. I love the taper. Congrats! Does this mean he popped the question already?
Thanks angeline, we felt the taper not only made the diamond look bigger but it suited my tiny finger. He did pop the question, he kept the ring hidden for a few weeks. Although, I new the proposal was coming, he did surprise me and he did it in a way that brought me to my knees...
30.gif

newbie999

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/13/2007 12:32:36 PM
Author: door knob solitaire
Love your new ring!! Thanks for all the photos. Even though some a tad blurry they still reveal alot of information on the design. I think you made a great choice!!
36.gif

My jeweler called that taper detail...a pinched shank. Not sure if that is correct, but if it is, it may be helpful to a future reader of this thread.

I also had the fear of platinum put into me by a most reputable retailer. His store is well respected. But most aren''t aware is does not have an inhouse jeweler. He can polish all forms of gold for you as you wait...but if you have platinum you must return at a later date to get your polished...serviced...or sized platinum. I told him the amount I spend on a piece, I don''t want to part with it as it travels to another destination. So he took a well worn piece of plat in the back and was gone for five minutes. He showed me what spot he attempted to polish with his low speed machine gold metal polishing pad/compound. There was absolutely no difference in it. He thought it would steer me to white gold and the better purchase price of the white gold. He said I CAN rhodium plate in house for you and your piece will be shinny reflective metal always.

There is a different level of work involved in the care and keep of platinum...that is if you want it to be a shinny reflective finish. I am wondering if he (your jeweler) had tired of the broken record play back in explanation and just decided to spill something silly instead. I know that is a reach, but any jeweler is aware of all metals...so this is not the first time it was posed to him. I also think he wanted the sell...and it is possible that the platinum price had already met with hesitation, and therefore he was trying to console a buyer thinking gold is substandard. Which it ISN''T. So don''t ever let anyone here or anywhere tell you gold is not as good as platinum
2.gif
. Each have their merits and will therefore continue to be used in jewelry.

Again...just wanted to add something for a future reader...I hope it was helpful.

DKS

Thanks for your comments and advice door knob solitaire! I''m sorry about the poor quality of the pics, believe me, I''ve taken heaps and heaps but my camera just doesn''t take good close up photos.
The donut at the base of the head comes out as far as the widest part of the band which is on the palmar side of the ring. I was thinking I would get a wedding band that is no wider than this widest part, and have it sit flush against the palmar part of the band and against the donut, leaving a slight gap either side of the diamond. Does that make sense?

newbie999

Rough_Rock
Date: 8/13/2007 9:07:59 AM
Author: vintagebling

I thought it would be dodgy to repost photos that I''ve already attached to another thread, so I''ll just post the links to the pics, they are slightly better. I still can''t work out how my camera chooses it''s focal point, no matter how close or far I am away from the ring, it''s still blurrier than something in the fore/background...

Hope these links work..:)

https://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/files/DSC01762.JPG

https://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/files/DSC01755.JPG

https://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/files/DSC01758.JPG

https://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/files/DSC01756.JPG

https://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/files/DSC01759.JPG

https://www.pricescope.com/idealbb/files/DSC01762.JPG

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results