shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiffany 6 prong in platinum or yellow gold? opinions please.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Toska

Shiny_Rock
I have recently ordered a Tiffany 6 prong in yellow gold with platinum prongs. After speaking with my girlfriend, she really love the look of platinum rings but likes gold aswell. I do not know whether I should change my order from gold to platinum?

The reason I chose gold in the first place is because all of her jewellery is gold. She has thick gold bracelet, chain, and gold diamond studs. She also has plenty of other rings which which are all gold. I think that it would look stupid if she wore a platinum ring with a whole heap of gold jewellery with it. She likes to wear all of her jewellery & rings at once. Sure a platinum ring is spectacular and makes the diamond more noticeable, but as an engagement ring it would clash with all of the rest of her jewellery in my opinion.

I would like some opinions on whether a platinum ring would match with a whole heap of other gold rings and the rest of her gold jewellery. Have you seen other women wear plenty of gold with a platinum engagement ring? If so how did it look?
confused.gif

Regards
Jason

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
What about a two-tone setting?
2.gif

Toska

Shiny_Rock
I've already decided and paid for the Tiffany 6 prong setting. I like how thin and delicate it looks, I am yet to see a setting which makes the diamond stand out as much. My girlfriend loves the small thing settings.

The only decision left to make is either yellow gold or platinum.

diamond dazed

Rough_Rock
A lot of people who now prefer platinum also own and wear yellow gold, partly because preferences change over time, and nobody "dumps" their whole jewelry collection as styles or preferences change. Maybe your girlfriend has collected her yellow gold over a period of years, and is now wanting to shift toward white metal(?)...

Personally, I don't think that engagement or wedding rings reallly have to match the rest of your jewelry, so I don't think it looks bad at all to wear platinum rings with yellow gold necklaces, bracelets, etc. Some people even wear a yellow gold engagement ring with platinum wedding band(s) -- Jan of DBOF does this, and it looks great. I personally don't care much for "two-tone" rings, but that's a personal preference thing.

I wouldn't hesitate at all to do platinum, even with her other jewelry, particularly if it's what she prefers.

Kris

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 11/26/2003 3:47:29 AM Toska wrote:

I would like some opinions on whether a platinum ring would match with a whole heap of other gold rings and the rest of her gold jewellery. Have you seen other women wear plenty of gold with a platinum engagement ring? If so how did it look?---------------

My asnwers would be, in order: NO, NO, BAD...
Not that the two-tone look is not great, but the two colors would usually be balanced. After all, yellow gold is back in fashion. That the diamond will not show neatley with e YG band is unlikely, all more so since the prongs will be white. I see no compelling reason to choose platinum, unless your girl is likely to believe that this is a E-ring tradition.

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
(if possible) get her to physically try on a plain platinum ring, some people just do not suit platinum/ wg or vice versa.

but since u already ordered the yg ring, have it set and presented to her. IF (after trying on the platinum ring and it suits) she still insists that she wants platinum, then get the same setting in platinum (if u dont mind).
5.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I personally am a stickler for jewelry matching..I own very small amounts of yellow gold (under duress) and all my other jewelry is white gold and platinum. I would never be caught dead wearing yellow gold with platinum or white gold with yellow gold...don't ask me why, it's just how I am. It's different if you have a two-tone type piece or similar, but I am a serious matching type girl. So if I were your girl, I'd only want the YG to go with all my other stuff. But not everyone is this strict.
1.gif
It's a tough call but since she has so much YG...you really can't go wrong with it right?! You know she loves it!
1.gif

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Go for the gold. (hee, hee)

I like things to match and I think the plat would just stand out too much. On a practical note, if she really decides she wants platinum later you'll be losing less money than if you had to toss a plat ring for gold!

grapegravity

Shiny_Rock
Definitely Gold since ur girlfriend has many gold jewelry already.. In my opinion, two tone is not kool and over time it will look unfashionable... I have mentioned to few of my female co-workers about the togetherness of platinum and gold rings ( my promise ring was gold, and my engagement ring is white gold, and I wanted to wear them all on my hands), and almost every female I have talked to tells me not to wear yellow gold ring with a bunch of white gold jewelry or vice versa....

So I hope this will help u to decide...

^_^

Toska

Shiny_Rock
Thank you everybody for your insightful and worthwile comments regarding platinum or gold. Today my girlfriend mentioned to me something which defintely made my mind up. She said that my wedding band must match her engagement ring and wedding band. I have always been a gold man and always will be. There is no way I will be wearing a platinum coloured wedding band.

If she did not have so much gold jewellery, then yes I would get the platinum without a doubt, but I like to keep everything matching.

After some thought I have concluded that yellow gold it is. Who knows maybe in 15-20 years time, platinum will be unfashionable. When it comes down to it Gold is Gold, it's been fashionable for thousands of years and that should not change. I'll post pics when I get the ring.

tongue.gif

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
that's great! do keep us updated with the pics
5.gif

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Toska.......has anyone recommended a Yellow band with platinum prongs?

This willl keep white metal around the diamond itself but still match all the other gold jewelry.

Daniela

Brilliant_Rock
I had read somewhere that if you wear gold rings with your platinum ring the gold will scratch up the platinum, but this must not be the case if Jan of DBOF wears them together? Anyone?

Toska

Shiny_Rock
I ended up getting a yellow gold with white gold prongs. I'm sure glad I chose the gold, I would of definately had regrets about a platinum ring.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
actually platinum has been in fashion since at least the early 1900s (hence so many old vintage platinum early 1900s pieces)...it fell out of favor for a while during the wars (expensive), but has definitely made a huge comeback. so just like gold...i think platinum is here to stay.
1.gif

Toska

Shiny_Rock
Platinum is very nice, but how many people could tell the difference between a $5000 platinum necklace/chain compared to a $50 silver. Platinum looks spectacular in rings, I am not too fond of other jewellery made from it though.

69gm

Shiny_Rock
hi toska,

just putting in my $.02. hope ya' don't mind.
2.gif

my personal vote would be for platinum. i just like the look. always have. to me it has a very classic look to it. and i'm certain it will never go out of style.

but then that brings me to another point...that it's personal taste. you already did what i would've suggested in that you talked it over with your fiancee. after all, no matter your personal feelings, she's the one who will be wearing it and ultimately has to be happy with it. so her likes/dislikes has to be put in front of yours.

now if her only criteria is that it has to match your ring and she's okay that you will be wearing yellow gold, case solved.

just make sure she's okay with the ring and start enjoying the rest of your lives together.
16.gif

good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results