shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiaras

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1311520090|2975719 said:
In some random searchings, I found several listings from an auction at Rosebery's. Some of these look like they could be replicas.

So, here we have two replicas of the sapphire tiara from the French Crown Jewels (one with blue central stones, the other with white), the Girls of Great Britan & Ireland and a Lover's Knot tiara. They all look very nice, and I'm sure the craftsmanship is of very high level (as is everything by Count Alexander).

I's quite hard to pick a fav from these, but I'd say the replica of the French sapphire tiara (both versions) is quite lovely. I also like these two tiaras:
A copy of a former Danish royal tiara (though I like the original better)
A114.jpg
http://www.roseberys.co.uk/Catimages/07MAY11/A114.jpg

A sumptuous Belle Epoque tiara, convertible into necklace
A142.jpg
http://www.roseberys.co.uk/Catimages/07MAY11/A142.jpg

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1311788843|2978118 said:
Another sparkly tiara from the Roseberry Auction...I'd say it bears a resemblance to the Russian Kokoshink...

I like the actual kokoshnik very much and it's pretty obvious that this one is ment as a replica of the original, but it looks just so huge and drag-like. Not quite to my taste.

LadyMaria|1311788919|2978119 said:
Again from Rosebery's but I think this is a close-up of the replica of the Girls of Great Britian and Ireland from my earlier picture.

It isn't a close-up, Maria. This one also looks like the Girls, but it has high spikes, which don't appear in either the original, nor in the tiara in the first photo.

Bobby

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
More from a Roseberry auction.

The top one reminds me of the Connaught tiara from Sweden.

After my kidney stone battle, the bottom one could be for my new title..."Lady of Lithotripsy."

Rosebery4.jpg

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1312300766|2982335 said:
More from a Roseberry auction.

The top one reminds me of the Connaught tiara from Sweden.

After my kidney stone battle, the bottom one could be for my new title..."Lady of Lithotripsy."

The second one's quite impressive, even lovely and combines two of my favourite symbols in tiaras - Meander and Palmette. Remindes me of a tiara Cartier would've made in the begining of XX c./late Edwardian era.
Would be nice to see you in something like that, Maria.

Bobby

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
centralsquare|1312778927|2986242 said:
mayerling|1312047061|2980563 said:

I wasn't a fan...looked too geometrical. For a wedding, I expect something romantic...this was too structured. That said, the historic component of it (the fact that it was her mom's) makes it a great choice!

mayerling and centralsquare-

It was recently pointed out to me by the people who started the Tiaras thread that it was supposed to be about only tiaras that could not be discussed in the Royal Jewels thread. I had not realized that that was the intent of the "founders" (the "starters"?) of the thread, since I had not been around when the Tiaras thread began.

Apparently there were some lovely tiaras that were owned and worn by people other than royalty and aficionados of the Royal Jewels thread wanted a place where there they could be discussed appropriately.

I mistakenly posted about tiaras worn by royalty in this thread until the difference in the threads was explained to me.

Deb/AGBF
:read:

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Here are two tiaras that I found today

A fringe tiara from the end of the XIXth century:
g_59_79315.jpg

An Antique pearl and diamond tiara:
g_58_23788.jpg

Bobby

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Bobby...Any idea if the fringe tiara can be turned into a necklace?

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
LadyMaria|1312849036|2986822 said:
Bobby...Any idea if the fringe tiara can be turned into a necklace?

This info was not provided, but to me it doesn't look convertible.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
On Laurensmama's request - The Portland tiara:
What I know about the Portland diamond tiara is that it was made for Winifred - the wife of the 6th Duke of Portland, IIRC by Cartier. It was most notably worn at the 1911 Coronation with pearl spikes and a band of sapphires and diamonds. Her Grace was Mistress of the Robes to Queen Alexandra from 1913 untill 1925 and since then the tiara has been altered to its present state. This tiara was also worn at The Queen's Coronation in 1953 by the then Duchess - Ivy. It was then inherited (along with the rest of the family's jewels) by the 7th Duke's elder and only surviving daughter Lady Anne Cavendish-Bentinck. Lady Anne was unmarried and on her death the jewels were inherited by her nephew William Parente. The Portland's sapphire, pearl and diamond tiara was sold last year by Christie's. The diamond tiara must be still in Mr Parente's possession.

Winifred, Duchess of Portland (left) in Coronation robes wearing a previous version of her large diamond tiara:
106778653.jpg
http://www.gettyimages.com/detail/106778653/Getty-Images-News

The 7th Duke & his Duchess dressed for the 1953 Coronation:
mw143969.jpg
http://images.npg.org.uk/790_500/6/9/mw143969.jpg

Bobby

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for the full story on the two Portland tiaras, Bobby. I started doing research on them myself yesterday, but was called away by my daughter a mere couple of hours into my studies! At that point I had more questions than answers, but probably would never have found all the answers you did as you seem to be able to find things I never can!!! (One must give credit where credit is due.)

I did find some lovely photos of both tiaras, though, if anyone would like to see more images.

Deb/AGBF

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
AGBF|1313060055|2988427 said:
Thanks for the full story on the two Portland tiaras, Bobby. I started doing research on them myself yesterday, but was called away by my daughter a mere couple of hours into my studies! At that point I had more questions than answers, but probably would never have found all the answers you did as you seem to be able to find things I never can!!! (One must give credit where credit is due.)

I did find some lovely photos of both tiaras, though, if anyone would like to see more images.

Deb/AGBF

Absolutely Deb!!!! Bring it on!!!

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
AGBF|1313060055|2988427 said:

Deb/AGBF

You're welcome, Deb!

I gathered most of my information at the time of the auction of the Portland jewels last year, while another part I found yesterday. Some of the info is from RJWMB, but it's not available there any more. It is known that Winifred, Duchess of Portland had some very important jewels and that she wore the two tiaras. It is also known that the jewels were inherited by her grand-daughter Anne, the daughter of the 7th Duke. I'm not sure, but I believe that the credit for the diamond tiara at the exhibition in the V&A (also in Munn's Bible) was given to her. The credit to the photos is also given in the links that I've posted - GettyImages and the National Portrait Gallery's website.

Like Maria, I'd love to see the photos you've found.

Bobby

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Almina Herbert (nee Wombwell), Countess of Carnarvon, the wife of the 5th Earl of Carnarvon. The Earl was a British race horse owner, an race driver and one of the founders of King Tut's tomb. The Countess was an interesting woman of her own - Although she was legally the daughter of Captain Frederick Wombwell, she might have been the daughter of Alfred de Rothschild, who gave her a substantial dowry upon marriage. The Countess is also reputed to have had a number of lovers, some of which of her own sex. Despite her wealth and position in society, Lady Carnarvon died almost in poverty, with her jewellery collection sold in the early 1950's.

Here we can see (among other jewels) an impressive (and rather beautifull) diamond tiara by Boucheron, diamond and pearl necklace and stomacher:
almina-countess-of-carnarvon-1900.jpg
http://ironingboardcollective.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/almina-countess-of-carnarvon-1900.jpg

The tiara:
carnavaron_tiara.jpg

Bobby

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
After reading about her, I felt the fact that she wanted to help only members of her own social class was fairly disgusting.

I'm not very impressed with present Earl, either. I read a Daily Mail article dated 2009 about how the family palace was almost completely dilapidated. It said only the first two floors could be used. I'd be surprised if they meant the entire floors after reading the article and looking at the pictures.

He said, at that time, that it would cost 12 million pounds for a complete restoration. His idea, I don't know if he got his way, was to sell off some of the land for development (and this couldn't be done without putting a new system in place for the land designated as it was).

The idea of changing the land use rules so that the Earl can restore a private residence doesn't sit well with me. Maybe the Earl should spend his own money to fix his palace, of if he can't do this, maybe he should raise the money from people who might want to donate it. Just a thought.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
Seeing that the thread has been dormant for some time, I decided to post this two glittering photos of Gina Lollobrigida.
In the first one we can see an impressive sapphire and diamond (?) parue worn by Gina in 1962. To me it looks like the tiara has a certain Napoleonic look to it.
Gina%20Lollobrigida%20Sapphires46.jpg

The second one is a photo of GL with a diamond and pearl spike tiara worn very high on her head. My caption says "Time Magazine 40th Anniversary"
40TMA.jpg.jpg

Bobby

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Imdanny|1313188691|2989678 said:
After reading about her, I felt the fact that she wanted to help only members of her own social class was fairly disgusting.

I'm not very impressed with present Earl, either. I read a Daily Mail article dated 2009 about how the family palace was almost completely dilapidated. It said only the first two floors could be used. I'd be surprised if they meant the entire floors after reading the article and looking at the pictures.

He said, at that time, that it would cost 12 million pounds for a complete restoration. His idea, I don't know if he got his way, was to sell off some of the land for development (and this couldn't be done without putting a new system in place for the land designated as it was).

The idea of changing the land use rules so that the Earl can restore a private residence doesn't sit well with me. Maybe the Earl should spend his own money to fix his palace, of if he can't do this, maybe he should raise the money from people who might want to donate it. Just a thought.

Danny - this is actually a very common problem. Very old families with a lot of real estate but very cash strapped because of death duties. Raising the money for this is certainly not easy, as you imply, and the earl might not have anything close to that amount in disposable income.

I haven't looked into his specific situation, but what he is trying to alter might be the rules of his inheritance of the land, which might be similar to a trust fund: he has use, but cannot sell.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Bobby, way to get a thread started again! LOL! :bigsmile:

LadyMaria

Brilliant_Rock
Can anyone find a better picture of this tiara? This is from the wedding of Georgia Hewlett and Ben Fizherbert. It made news because Pippa Middleton was there. Looks like it could a be nice tiara, if I could see it clearer.

article-2072625-0F21682C00000578-496_306x467.jpg

winyan

Brilliant_Rock
LadyMaria|1292794929|2801176 said:
prince.of.preslav|1292774000|2800934 said:
LadyMaria|1292687753|2800338 said:
In some random searching, I found this delightful amethyst tiara and parure that Southeby's recently auctioned. I wouldn't mind having it!

Does Southeby's say if it's Napoleonic? I think there are quite a few like this one, including with other stones as citrines.

Bobby

I honestly don't remember. I just know it was already sold...I missed my chance to bid!

Yup late in coming to this party, but it's based on the Philip/Elizabeth tiara.

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock
winyan|1327378295|3110223 said:
Yup late in coming to this party, but it's based on the Philip/Elizabeth tiara.

What Philip/Elizabeth tiara do you mean, Win?

prince.of.preslav

Ideal_Rock

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
prince.of.preslav|1327450831|3110905 said:
Also, isn't this necklace to die for!?!

That would be a major, "yes" from me, Bobby! I am a ruby lover from way back...from my earliest youth and I don't think I've ever seen a necklace I like more!

Deb
:love:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
I hope somebody who has it stumbles on this thread! Yes, absolutely splendid necklace & I'd love to know more too. The book sells for $58 & change on Amazon -- unfortunately Amazon doesn't have the "read a page" option available for it. Looks interesting, though -- from the description:

"Having been given unprecedented access to the Boucheron vaults, the book’s author, Vincent Meylan, made some remarkable discoveries. Perhaps the most significant was a register labeled ‘Book of Stones’. It is a record of all the precious stones that have entered Boucheron’s stock; diamonds, emeralds, sapphires, rubies and pearls are all indexed according to weight, price and, most importantly, who bought and sold them. Meylan also uncovered almost 200 order books and 150 letters. It is these ‘Secret Archives’ that have enabled him to reveal the fascinating history of Boucheron and his extraordinary, colorful clientele."

Yum!

--- Laurie

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Lady_Disdain|1315438495|3012113 said:
Imdanny|1313188691|2989678 said:

Danny - this is actually a very common problem. Very old families with a lot of real estate but very cash strapped because of death duties. Raising the money for this is certainly not easy, as you imply, and the earl might not have anything close to that amount in disposable income.

I haven't looked into his specific situation, but what he is trying to alter might be the rules of his inheritance of the land, which might be similar to a trust fund: he has use, but cannot sell.

I didn't express myself clearly enough. My apologies. I didn't mean to imply that raising the money needed for the restoration would be easy. I meant: their family built a house. It was folly to build such a big house if they weren't going to maintain it. Now we have a dilemma. On one hand, the house has historic value. On the other hand, the family doesn't seem to have the money to restore it. I'm sorry but I cannot come down on the side of selling off these lands. The laws that prohibit this exist for a reason. Diana's brother was trying to/ has done the same same thing. It's penny wise and pound foolish, and in my opinion quite unacceptably selfish.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
prince.of.preslav|1327450831|3110905 said:
Also, isn't this necklace to die for!?!

Bobby

It's stunning!

These houses that haven't maintained their position in the way Cartier and VC&A have also intrigue me very much.

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Here you go, Laurie! (from the other thread, the one about Downton Abby):

"He was succeeded by his only son from his first marriage, the fifth Earl. He is famous for discovering the tomb of Tutankhamun along with Howard Carter."

-3rd paragraph

"The family seat is Highclere Castle in Hampshire, which is the setting for the highly successful UK miniseries Downton Abbey created by Julian Fellowes. The Countess of Carnarvon is interviewed for the "Making of..." special feature included in the PBS DVD release."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Earl_of_Carnarvon

I thought this is the one we were talking about in this thread!

Oops, I'm off topic. Lo siento, Bobby! ;))

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results