shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiaras

Discussion in 'Jewelry Pieces' started by prince.of.preslav, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Imdanny
    Ideal_Rock

by Imdanny » Apr 27, 2012
    I think of the Cartier plain gold band I'm getting as kind of a coronet. :saint:

Do you want me to wear it on my head when I post my pictures? :cheeky:

I think there's something so elemental about a gold crown and this is as close as I'll get.

Bobby, you and some others don't venture out of these two threads. I'm getting my ring next week. I'll let you know because I want you to be a part of my celebration.

BTW, I wrote a long post about Catherine and jewels in the other forum. I don't think my thoughts were very original but I hope some of you enjoy it.

Danny

2. prince.of.preslav
    Ideal_Rock

by prince.of.preslav » Apr 28, 2012
    Grat news, Danny! Cangratulations!!! Would you lead me to a thread where I can read more about the happy event and the ring?

Best,
    Bobby

3. Imdanny
    Ideal_Rock

by Imdanny » Apr 30, 2012
    Thanks, Bobby! Yes, when I post my ring, I'll come back and give you a link!

Best,
    Danny

4. JewelFreak
    Ideal_Rock

by JewelFreak » Apr 30, 2012
    Hey Danny, where did you write about your ring? I didn't see it. FAB! I'm so pleased for you. Please post pics as soon as the beauty arrives! I can just imagine how excited you are. :appl: :appl:

--- Laurie

5. JewelFreak
    Ideal_Rock

by JewelFreak » Apr 30, 2012
    Bobby, I saw your link to the Sotheby's auction. Somehow that one didn't have the usually gasp-worthy pieces, imo. In fact, I had to pass this along -- my nomination for Ugliest Tiara Ever Created. Maker unknown, with good reason! :lol:

10-15K.jpg

6. Teriann
    Rough_Rock

by Teriann » Apr 30, 2012
    I love amethyst...but this is kinda ugly.

7. Imdanny
    Ideal_Rock

by Imdanny » May 2, 2012
    Hi Laurie, I forgot where I wrote about it but basically SO told me he wants to get my ring and he said it out of a clear view sky.

Yes, I'm very excited!

It will be within a couple weeks and I'll post links so no one misses it with my pictures on the day it gets here! :))

Ok, back to the topic! I don't want to be such a threadjacker! :bigsmile:

8. Teriann
    Rough_Rock

by Teriann » May 2, 2012
    this one may top yours...I think it would be fantastic if they would take all the pears and emeralds off but in the current state...it's awful :(.

http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/jewelry/an-impressive-emerald-natural-pearl-5561409-details.aspx?from=searchresults&&pos=5&intObjectID=5561409&sid=b61a80eb-aa94-45fa-a15c-0410f00629fa&page=4

9. Beth_Chloefan
    Rough_Rock

10. JewelFreak
    Ideal_Rock

by JewelFreak » May 9, 2012
    Ooh ahhh, Teriann, I agree -- ghastly! I'd love to get my hands on those emeralds & use them for something glorious. The tiara would be very nice without all the spikey stuff.

Beth, that one is interesting, but not up my alley either, too sharply geometric for me.

--- Laurie

11. prince.of.preslav
    Ideal_Rock

by prince.of.preslav » May 9, 2012
    It has been a lovely tiara in the beginning, but I fear that this is just yet another example that later modifications of tiaras are usually unfortunate... I can see a couple of pairs of earrings, a beautiful pearl necklace and a few more jewels in this tiara ;-)

On a side note, the diamond bandeau remindes me of the large Belle Epoque tiara that Cartier made for Queen Elizabeth of Belgium.

Bobby

12. prince.of.preslav
    Ideal_Rock

Not that bad. I mean, I've seen worse modern tiaras. Perhaps with the right do and accessories it will work :razz:

Bobby

13. prince.of.preslav
    Ideal_Rock

Today, at the State Opening of Parliament some peeresses/wifes of peers wore tiaras but I've only been able to find photos of this lady and her rather lovely tiara. Wish I knew who she's.
    144058549.jpg
    Photo by Oli Scarff - WPA Pool/Getty Images

Naturally, Her Majesties also wore tiaras. I'll see if any photos of them are worth posting.

14. prince.of.preslav
    Ideal_Rock

by prince.of.preslav » May 10, 2012
    That last sentence should read: Naturally, Her Majesty's ladies-in-waiting also wore tiaras. I'll see if any photos of them are worth posting.
    Of the two ladies that accompanied The Queen I was able to recognise the Countess of Airlie, Lady of the Bedchamber to HM. It is possible that the other lady in attendance was Lady Elton. It's very likely that Lady Airlie wore the diamond tiara from her husband's family.

Bobby

15. prince.of.preslav
    Ideal_Rock

by prince.of.preslav » May 10, 2012
    Here are two photos of other tiara-wearing ladies at yesterday's State Opening of Parliament. The lady on the left (Lady Truscott) is wearing a pearl and diamond kokoshnik made by Cartier in 1908 in Paris. She has worn it on at least one other occasion.

144058738.jpg
    144058736.jpg
    Photo by Arthur Edwards - WPA Pool/Getty Images
    Photo by Arthur Edwards - WPA Pool/Getty Images

I've seen other tree ladies in tiaras - a small ears of wheat bandeau, a spiked diamond piece and an emerald whooper (worn with other large emerald and diamond jewels).

PS: These are all wifes of peers; peeresses in their own right wore robes.

Bobby

16. prince.of.preslav
    Ideal_Rock

by prince.of.preslav » May 30, 2012
    While browsing the net a few days ago, I came across some photos from the 2008 wedding of Prince Joachim of Denmark and Marie Cavallier. One of the photos shows Caroline Fleming (nee Baroness Iuel-Brockdorff) wearing a diamond spiked tiara:
    CarolineFleming_tiara.jpg

17. prince.of.preslav
    Ideal_Rock

18. LadyMaria
    Brilliant_Rock

by LadyMaria » May 31, 2012
    Sure looks like the same one to me!!!

19. prince.of.preslav
    Ideal_Rock

by prince.of.preslav » Jun 2, 2012
    Thanks, Maria!
    I do wonder, then, if the jewel was a wedding present to her (her father, the 5th Duke of Westminster, comes to mind), since Lady Leonora divorced Lord Lichfied many years before the photo was taken.

By the way, did her daughter-in-law wear a tiara at her own wedding? The current Lady Lichfield is the daughter of the 8th Marquess Conyngham and probably has a family tiara.

20. minigirl
    Rough_Rock

by minigirl » Jun 6, 2012
    what a good item to own in your hands !

21. Imdanny
    Ideal_Rock

by Imdanny » Jun 7, 2012
    Here you go, Bobby...

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/ring-is-here.176037/

22. prince.of.preslav
    Ideal_Rock

by prince.of.preslav » Jul 3, 2012
    The tiara belongs (or at least belonged) to the famous Fouché d'Otrante family. It was worn by Countess Birgitta d’Otrante at the weddingof HRH Princess Benedikte of Denmark to HSH Prince Richard of S-W-B in 1968.

Bobby

23. prince.of.preslav
    Ideal_Rock

by prince.of.preslav » Jul 3, 2012
    Iona, Duchess of Argyll's lost tiara was found and is back with her. Her Grace even wore it at the Caledonian Ball this year. Read the rather interesting story of this Victorian tiara and the other jewels here (there's also a photo) - Airport sells off Duchess's lost diamond tiara

Bobby

24. prince.of.preslav
    Ideal_Rock

by prince.of.preslav » Sep 25, 2012
    Alert! This post contains information about the 3rd season of Downton Abbey!

Yesterday I watched the 1st episode and it was great! As you may've expected, a certain Lady Mary got married... and wore a tiara. In fact, a Georgian 'spray of leaves and floral clusters' that divides into two brooches from the collection of British antique jeweller Bentley & Skinner.
    As I don't want to spoil everything, I won't post photos of the bride or the tiara. Photos can be seen on line and at the jeweller's website.

Bobby

25. LadyMaria
    Brilliant_Rock

by LadyMaria » Sep 30, 2012
    Wait a week or two, then post pictures!

26. Lady_Disdain
    Ideal_Rock
    Trade

by Lady_Disdain » Oct 3, 2012
    What do you guys think of the tiara in the PS blog?

27. prince.of.preslav
    Ideal_Rock

by prince.of.preslav » Oct 5, 2012
    ok. i will :)

28. prince.of.preslav
    Ideal_Rock

by prince.of.preslav » Oct 5, 2012
    I do not like it. Not on first sight, at lest. It is too modern for my taste. I would lik to see it worn to make my final judgement, but I do not think this will change my final opiion.

Bobby

29. Lady_Disdain
    Ideal_Rock
    Trade

by Lady_Disdain » Oct 7, 2012
    I don't like it either and I am a huge fan of modern designs (the Midnight tiara is a favourite and I really like Charlene's new headdresses as well). The placement of the figures in this tiara seems unbalanced and I dislike the proportions (too high). But, hey, maybe it really comes together when worn. I hope...

30. prince.of.preslav
    Ideal_Rock