shape
carat
color
clarity

Three-stone emerald-cut engagement ring help

gettingcloser

Rough_Rock
Yes. That's exactly what I was thinking about. That seems a more reasonable balance between cost of stone and cost of setting. This style is classy and understated. I'll poke around for similar options, but I really like this one. If there are others you suggest or other places I should look at please let me know. This guidance is invaluable.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That BE setting appears to have the same problem as MayK's first DBL setting in that the side stones are to high. The idea is great but I would not choose that particular one.

I agree with the other ladies that I would never pay more for the setting than the center stone. You linked the Tacori and I thought Victor's quote would be less. But now that we know the budget, a plain 3 stone setting makes a lot more sense.

What is her ring size?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you should use David Klass for the setting. He is very reasonable and maybe could even get you a little pave on the shank for less than any posted thus far. To see his work, go to FB and look for David Klass Jewelry.

gettingcloser

Rough_Rock
Thanks Diamondseeker. She is 5.25 ring size. I'll check out Klass on FB. Thanks for the referral.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Best to start a new thread looking for your EC right away. It can take several weeks to find the right diamond.

gettingcloser

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the threads. Klass does excellent work and seems to have a great reputation here.

If I go with a designer like Klass or Brilliantly Engaged or one of the others, is it best to have them source the stone? I'm also thinking that I may be able to find a simple setting locally that I can actually go see and touch, in which case I'll source my own stone with mucho help from PSers.

I should also mention that I'm set on getting the setting in platinum, which I think would be extra special if it was hand forged. Agree?

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
James Allen is a great place to look for Emerald Cut Diamonds.

You can request three ASETs to review. Let the forum help you pick the diamonds before you ask for them since you are limited to three.

Here's one option (I'm not an expert) you will want Chrono or Diamondseeker to weigh in but you can surf the James Allen site and look at different diamonds. http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/emerald-cut/1.26-carat-h-color-vs1-clarity-sku-719541

In the knowledge tab you can learn a little bit about the cut parameters

https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/emerald-cut-diamond

Some Characteristics will be personal preference. For example I wanted a length/width ratio of 1.25 - 1.30 because I like chunkier and less long and thin EC's but many people prefer just the opposite.

gettingcloser

Rough_Rock
This is a three- stone that I like. It's from Kwiat, which I'm unfamiliar with.

_740.jpeg

gettingcloser

Rough_Rock
I also like this one from VC, though with a center diamond, not sapphire.

_741.jpeg

gettingcloser

Rough_Rock
And this one from Brilliant Earth, though the prongs seem a bit overwhelming.

_742.jpeg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Getting_Closer, if you think looking for the setting is challenging, I suggest starting the search for the EC now. It could take weeks to months to find the right one. Please start looking now! There will be a lot of back and forth with ECs, viewing the pictures, videos and waiting for the ASET imaging to confirm its light performance. I think at least 90% of the ECs I see being sold are duds.

ETA
It looks like you are drawn to trapezoid sidestones rather than EC sidestones.

gettingcloser

Rough_Rock
I've also got a call in to David Klass for his thoughts on a similar design. Any thoughts on the above styles? Is Klass likely to be my most economical choice? Is his quality on par with Brilliantly Engaged or VC? Any thoughts on Brilliant Earth or Kwiat? Both seem overpriced, but I'm not familiar with them.

Thanks!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
gettingcloser|1447260833|3948232 said:
I've also got a call in to David Klass for his thoughts on a similar design. Any thoughts on the above styles? Is Klass likely to be my most economical choice? Is his quality on par with Brilliantly Engaged or VC? Any thoughts on Brilliant Earth or Kwiat? Both seem overpriced, but I'm not familiar with them.

Thanks!!

DK will be the least expensive. Great work for the price.
Brilliantly Engaged can help you find a good EC (but it will take time!) and can get you the setting too. Priced between DK and VC.
VC is top-notch and you are paying top notch dollar for it too.
I think Brilliant Earth will not sell the setting without the stone?

gettingcloser

Rough_Rock
Thanks Chrono. I thought I should settle on a designer and setting first and then see if they would source the stone. Is that not a good idea? I also thought I'd need to know general price of setting so I would know what kind of stone to look for. I'm hoping for a high quality center around 1.3 carats, F-H range. Klass said he would source or I could and it seems he would want to know the stone first and then build ring to suit it. And at the risk of sounding foolish, let me ask: is handmade the same as hand forged. Is Klass hand forged?

gettingcloser

Rough_Rock
I do like the traps. They present a nice balance. I didn't see too many three stone with all emerald cuts.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
More often than not, Pricescopers can find you a diamond that is cut far better and for far less than a designer. The EC stats you are considering can run anywhere from $6K to $8K.

There are several levels of handmade, which affects the delicacy of the piece and pricing:
Pieces are cast, then put together by hand
Pieces are rolled and formed by hand, then put together by hand.

gettingcloser

Rough_Rock
Thanks, Chrono. So with a budget of about 10,000, how would you proceed? What designers would you focus on and what balance would you put between setting and stone? She would never upgrade or reset or anything. This is a forever ring and I don't want to blow it!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BE has it listed for $2500. DK will be less and VC will be more. Have you contacted all 3 to confirm pricing? That might make your decision easier. The EC should measure around 7 x 5 mm as reference.

gettingcloser

Rough_Rock
Yes. I'm waiting to hear back on pricing from VC and DK and I've just gone off pricing of Brilliantly Engaged website. The BE setting is difficult to judge given the only pic available but it looks a little clunky to me and would need modification, which perhaps they are open to. It's below.

_743.jpeg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Modification of a standard setting = custom = more $

gettingcloser

Rough_Rock
Chrono…if you have the time, what are your specific thoughts in the Brilliantly Engaged setting above? How do you rank the settings I've pictured? Can't thank you enough for your time and insights.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am away from home at the moment and just checking in on my phone so this will be brief. If you want to put the maximum into the stone, then go with David Klass who will do CADs and we can help you make sure they are perfect before you proceed. He does a great job usually. If you want the finest quality hand forged setting, choose Victor. It just may mean having a smaller center stone. I don't see a reason to choose BE over DK for this setting. Always let us help you find the stone, with the exception of Victor's selection of diamonds which are mostly ideal cut rounds and antique rounds and cushions.

You dont want to pay the price premium for Kwiat and it won't be better quality than what we are recommending. I do not see Brilliantly Engaged or Brilliant Earth being an advantage over the ones above.

I honestly prefer small side emerald cuts over traps. When I get home later, I will post pics for you.

gettingcloser

Rough_Rock
I would really appreciate that diamondseeker. Thanks!

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me personally, I would go with DK for the setting and put more $ into the diamond. I love victors work, but I'd rather have a larger diamond in this case.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
telephone89|1447270071|3948298 said:
For me personally, I would go with DK for the setting and put more $ into the diamond. I love victors work, but I'd rather have a larger diamond in this case.
+1. 7 x 5 mm isn't very big...

gettingcloser

Rough_Rock
I heard back from VC. His quote is $9700 for 1.22 G, VS2, eye clean. There isn't a breakdown on cost of setting, cost of diamond. The side trapezoids would be .55-.60 tcw. Am I ok going with VC's center stone selections?

Haven t heard back from David Klass yet. I wonder how much bigger of a stone I could get with a Klass design, but of course I want the proportions to be correct.

I'm still interested in diamondseeker's three emerald cut pics. I haven't totally decided on trapezoids, but that balance does catch my eye.

Again, this is a forever ring so all advice on how to proceed is welcome.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am back and will post pics. You have to have cost broken down for the setting with side stone alone. Separate cost for center stone. I totally am sure Victor could call in nice stones for you to choose from. He also can do ASET images. We are just trying to see about cost of setting so we can determine if you can get a larger center stone. Emerald cuts are small and you do need to maximize your center stone.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
$10K for a VC ring in PT sounds reasonable. As DS wrote, I have no issues with having him take care of the entire ring if he is able to provide ASET images for the EC.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, please ignore if they have diamonds on the shank because that is optional. I just love these rings as far as the three stones go. I prefer much finer prongs. But you can get an idea. The first ring is by Scott Kay and has a 1 ct center. I love the proportions and the emerald cut sides. The second (6x8mm center) and third (1.8ct center) are other examples with EC sides. I don't like the longer sides in the second one as much as the first and third. In fact, I have spoken with Victor about this very design!

ecscottkay.jpg

3stoneec6x8.jpg

ec3stone.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results