Three-stone emerald-cut engagement ring help

gettingcloser

Rough_Rock
I'm torn diamondseeker…I went looking after your post and I like these too

_747.jpeg

_748.jpeg

gettingcloser

Rough_Rock
I love this one of yours. What's on the shank? Baguettes? Any idea whose design?

_35258.jpg

gettingcloser

Rough_Rock
Oh. I see its Tacori. So many decisions. I like the mill grain on first pic you posted too. Is that what it's called? The beading on the shank? Mill grain?

gettingcloser

Rough_Rock
Here's an interesting one with double claws, I think.

_35259.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it'll be tough to pull off double claws on a 7 x 5 mm stone unless it has wide shoulders. :(

gettingcloser

Rough_Rock
I don't think double claws work for that reason and I think they are a little overwhelming to the stone itself. What's your view on trapezoid sidestones v. emerald cut sidestones, Chrono? I spoke to VC and they can do either shape. They also said they don't break down the price between setting and stone when they source the stone themselves, so I don't have any further information on that.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Traps vs EC sides are a personal preference.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel that larger sides blend in more to the center stone almost making it look smaller. That is why I prefer those with the smaller sides. I like the proportions in the picture that is labeled _748.jpeg.

Yes, the beading on the sides of the shank when there are diamonds is called milgrain. I absolutely love that myself.

gettingcloser

Rough_Rock
You have great taste. I like that look as well, and upon further, subtle discussion with my gf, she prefers the emerald-cut sidestones as well because, in her words, "it looks like one big stone" with the trapezoids on the side due to the blending, especially if I go with the VC design, which eliminates the prongs between the side stones and the center stone. Frankly, I'm leaning toward VC at this point. Still nothing from David Klass, and from what I've read, I'd be very safe handing the project over to FC, including selecting the center stone, side stones, etc. I'm also thinking of perhaps a little hand engraving or some sort of millgrain on the shank, though i really like the plain look. I'm thinking perhaps a small amount of offset engraved design lower on the shank, similar to some of the tacori styles.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Since VC provides ASET imaging, I would still request ASET images of the EC he selects for you.

gettingcloser

Rough_Rock
Will do, Chrono. Thanks again for all of your help. I know it may be hard to tell from the pic, but what size do you estimate the center and side stones are in _748.jpeg above? I'm trying to get a feel for whether a 1.22 cw with .50 tcw side stones is a decent size emerald-cut ring. Her finger size is 5.25.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Show Victor the picture of the rings you like, and he can help determine the proper size for the side stones. I am certain he can access great stones, but as Chrono said, I always want to see an ASET image on a center stone. That very first ring I posted by Scott Kay has a 1 ct center so you can get an idea from that one about how big the center will be. Victor can also advise you about adding detail to the shank. Keep in mind that it will be best for him to make the wedding band, too, so the quality is the same, so have him give you ideas for that as well. He makes a killer hand-engraved wedding band (any width you want), and I think that would be lovely with it, whether you do a little milgrain and engraving on the e-ring or not.

I really can't wait to see this ring finished since it is very similar to what I'd like to make, too!

victorcanerabandyssie.png

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Victor is experienced and will be able to make good decisions as to the proportions for the ring. I agree with DS that you need to show him the picture, tell him her ring size and let him decide on the side stone sizes.

gettingcloser

Rough_Rock
Thanks Chrono and DS! You've made this experience so much easier. I'm going to go with VC and I'll let you know how it turns out!!! Probably not till early 2016, but I'll be back with pics for you!

gettingcloser

Rough_Rock
Actually....I'll be back with the ASETS before that. :)

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am very excited to see how this turns out! VC's work is gorgeous.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can't go wrong with VC!

gettingcloser

Rough_Rock
I started new thread re: center stone. Thanks!

XCUHftyJIO

Rough_Rock
Unless you have seen their work first hand and love the quality of their work, I would not go with the jeweller.

gettingcloser

Rough_Rock
Yes, I've ruled out a custom piece by a local jeweler.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results