shape
carat
color
clarity

Three colored diamonds - what should I do with them?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2009 4:28:22 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Date: 2/17/2009 4:10:00 PM
Author: cellentani
Yay for prong stackers - I''m a fan of those. Did you like the pic of the prong stackers from Dan''s site? Aesthetically, I think it would be fine to have all 3 types of gold - if they''re all the same setting, that would be enough to tie everything together (assuming you''d want to wear them all together). I''m afraid I can''t say definitively how your dark green diamond would look in the pink gold - if it''s in a prong setting, you wouldn''t see that much of it, right? Would the pink gold make the diamond look darker?
Cellentani,
The prong stackers from Dan''s site are gorgeous, and I love the side shank diamonds, but I think I would just do regular plain gold shanks here. I don''t want to take away from the main colored diamonds by having too many white diamonds on the shank, and if I want to add some white diamonds, I can do the thin diamond stacker in between. I would like engraved shanks though, and that''s what I''m having a problem finding for 4 to 5 mm stones.
When I spoke to my jeweler about doing engraving, he mentioned that he could have one of his benchmen add it to any plain shank design. Apparently it is hand done, and he had sent his bench to an engraving course to learn the technique. So, if the only thing holding you back from a particular design is the engraving, my impression is that it can be added later.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2009 5:17:25 PM
Author: Fly Girl
When I spoke to my jeweler about doing engraving, he mentioned that he could have one of his benchmen add it to any plain shank design. Apparently it is hand done, and he had sent his bench to an engraving course to learn the technique. So, if the only thing holding you back from a particular design is the engraving, my impression is that it can be added later.
I had wondered about that same thing. Hey tourmaline lover, how thick do you want the bands to be?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/17/2009 5:28:45 PM

I had wondered about that same thing. Hey tourmaline lover, how thick do you want the bands to be?
Well, the stones are 4.2 to 4.7 mm in size, so I'm thinking 2mm, especially since they would be stacking. If I go any larger, it might look too thick if I were to stack all three. My jeweler, Merry Richards in Illinois, doesn't do millgraining or engraving. I once asked them if they could add millgraining to a piece, and they looked at me like I was from another planet.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/17/2009 5:03:10 PM
Author: LovingDiamonds
Ok ok, I know you don''t like bezels BUT just look at the stackers that Dr Indira posted (last post in this thread). How stunning would your diamonds look in a setting like this? WOW!

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/can-i-reset-all-my-diamonds-into-a-band-show-me-your-bands-with-different-sized-stones.107400/
LD,
Oh sure, I was thinking of a bezel like that, but again, to find a good jeweler to do it would be a bit risky. Besides, they would probably look bad in all one band like everyone is stating. Thanks for the link though.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Aww, too bad about Merry Richards. I have a soft spot for them though; my DH bought my first diamond there a loooong time ago when he went to UofC. There''s another recommended engraver PS folks have talked about; let me see if I can remember...

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Okay, it was greenlake (greenlakejewelry.com). I think they might be pricey though. What kind of engraving do you have in mind: traditional vine & leaf, or wheat?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Antique style engraving.

BTW, you know I was against bezels, but perhaps a white gold bezel would enhance the pink in the stone since it is a light pink.

ETA: Wow, that greenlakejewelry has some TDF pieces reminicent of Art Nouveu. Very beautiful. Do they do the mounts, or do you have to send your stone to them? I don't mind the vine & leaf style as well.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2009 7:59:37 PM
Antique style engraving.

BTW, you know I was against bezels, but perhaps a white gold bezel would enhance the pink in the stone since it is a light pink.

ETA: Wow, that greenlakejewelry has some TDF pieces reminicent of Art Nouveu. Very beautiful. Do they do the mounts, or do you have to send your stone to them? I don''t mind the vine & leaf style as well.
I''m afraid I haven''t had any personal experience with them, but I''m sure they could tell you. Are you basically looking for an engraved band with a head for the stone? I think that would be fairly easy for them to do (she says being a consumer, and not a jeweler
20.gif
)

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/17/2009 12:48:47 PM
Author: chickpea

Date: 2/16/2009 3:05:27 PM
Author: platinumrock

Date: 2/16/2009 2:47:51 PM

Author: 4ever

I personally wouldn''t go rose gold for the lavender diamond, I now know from experience how rose gold can overshaddow a slightly pinky stone or alter the appearence of it''s colour.

I love the stacker ring idea, very classy.

I also learned the hard way. Rose gold is a strong color and it can overpower stones with pink tones. I had my peachy toned diamond set in an all rose gold ring. I thought it would be a nice combo since I''ve never had rose gold or a colored diamond before. I was forewarned that the rose gold will drown the color of the diamond. Sure enough, it did. And the diamond didn''t pop. It just blended in, much to my disappointment.

Rose gold should definitely be used with caution and great thought.

TL, I also like the stacker idea!

TL, apologies for a minor threadjack, but...

PR, did you post pics of your peachy diamond and rose gold ring?? i saw pics of the diamond loose but would love to see the finished product!
Chickpea, thanks for asking!
5.gif
My rose gold setting was completed, but I wasn''t pleased with how it turned out. The full rose gold was too overpowering for the diamond. I also tried having it set on my platinum e-ring setting, but the existing 4-prong head just looked awkward. I am planning on having a rose gold head created for my platinum setting since I really like the contrast of the white metal. The rose gold is just enough to make the diamond POP, but not dominate its hue.

I will create a separate thread for the ring once I am finally happy with it. In the meantime, here''s a link of how it looks in both settings in Tourmaline_Lover''s Gorgeous Malaya Garnet Thread. Don''t worry, she asked for pics.
2.gif
It''s on Page 3.

LINK

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/17/2009 8:25:38 PM

I'm afraid I haven't had any personal experience with them, but I'm sure they could tell you. Are you basically looking for an engraved band with a head for the stone? I think that would be fairly easy for them to do (she says being a consumer, and not a jeweler
20.gif
)
Yes, that's basically what I would like. I think the hard part is finding it for a 4.7 mm stone, but I think a 5mm head should work. That's about a half carat diamond.

ETA: PR, I can't wait to see your finished "peachy precious"
3.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just to get an idea from a size and color vantage point:
Here she is with my green and pink diamond ring in rose gold. The middle stone is almost 7mm and the pinks on the side are 22 points, but look bigger in the setting (they're about 3mm each).

The upper one is a true champagne pink of around 5mm and it's 52 points. It's in a rose gold head and white gold shank.

As you can see, the newest stone is much lighter and is a smaller diamond, but not super tiny. I'm wondering if a halo like the one on my champagne pink would give it the illusion of more size.

TLpinkandfriends.JPG

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 9:06:10 PM

Date: 2/16/2009 8:47:15 PM

Date: 2/16/2009 8:18:25 PM
Here''s a pic of the more lavender colored diamond up close. Unfortunately the stupid camera makes it look darker because of the shadow.

White gold with this one???

TL, thanks for adding more pics of your lovelies. I''ve never seen a lavender diamond before, and yours is even more beautiful up close. I actually like the contrast between the yellow/green stones and the lavender. Somehow, they enhance each other since yellow and lavender/purple are complementary colors.
My vote still stands on the white gold head. But the final decision is yours.

What do you like best?
Thanks BEG for the tips.

Thank you PR. It''s really a brownish pink, but to me it looks more purple face up (or lavender). I don''t see much ''brown'' in it. It''s definitely not a champagne diamond. I guess I like the combo of purple and green because they are so different. Remember my grey green diamond with the two pink sides??? I LOVE that ring, but it was a no-brainer as far as what to set the grey green in. It really pops in it''s rose gold setting. The stacking rings are a great idea, but the more I think about it, I just don''t like the sleek modern appearance to them, it''s just not ''me.'' I''m a more ornate kind of gal. I would love to find a three stone art deco setting for them with the stones placed vertically down my finger instead of across. However, those settings only come in one color. It would be also be nice to find a three stone lucida type setting with yellow gold on the sides and white in the middle. Do they make a two tone lucida three stone setting???
TL, I definitely remember your stunning grey green diamond with two pink sides! The rose gold setting really made a nice contrast. I''ve never seen anything like that before. I''m also into vintagy/milgrainy/ornate settings, and I''d take that style over anything sleek or modern any day. You should definitely take your own style preference into consideration. After all, you will be the one wearing and looking at your ring on a regular basis. And you must love it!

What about an Edwardian-style three-stone ring? It has the ornate style that you like, and it can incorporate the three stones that you have. I really think you will need to have this custom-casted. Are you on a specific budget?

Here''s an example from Fay Cullen:

edwardian1.jpg

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Here''s a view of the gallery:

edwardian4.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for that ring PR. I love it, but everyone is telling me that the darker green would take away from the other two stones. I''ll check out Fay Cullen''s website though, it might have something.

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
TL,

Have you seen this thread? Green and pink again, looks pretty good!

Gailey

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/18/2009 7:45:59 PM
Author: Gailey
TL,

Have you seen this thread? Green and pink again, looks pretty good!

Gailey
Thanks for the link Gailey. I wonder if AHL did anything with those stones. They''re beautiful and I love the pink/green combination.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/17/2009 10:31:42 PM
Here''s a view of the gallery:
Oh-la-la! I love that setting even though I hate FC''s policies. What''s wrong with a pink/green combo? I think if done correctly, it would stand out.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/18/2009 9:19:31 PM
Author: Chrono

Date: 2/17/2009 10:31:42 PM
Here's a view of the gallery:
Oh-la-la! I love that setting even though I hate FC's policies. What's wrong with a pink/green combo? I think if done correctly, it would stand out.
Hi Chrono!!
I think people were just concerned that one of my greens stood out from the other two diamonds, so the combo would be kind of weird looking. If you look at the stones on page 1 and 2 of this thread, you'll see the stark difference in saturation on one of the green diamonds. The one diamond is more green, and the other diamond is a greenish yellow (it looks more green in sunlight actually).

AHL's diamonds in the above link that Gailey provided are matched up better.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results