shape
carat
color
clarity

Three colored diamonds - what should I do with them?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

SparkleNut

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 2:31:05 PM
Author: paeony
I'd probably put them in bezeled stackers like these (separate though, so that they could be worn individually/together, etc.)

I am totally feeling paeony's idea here, bezeled stackers would be a knock out!
3.gif

Edit to add.... Sorry, I should have read all the post, I seen that you are really not wanting bezel set diamonds, but I still love the idea paeony.

LaurenThePartier

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another vote for bezeled, or semi-bezeled stackers! I think it would look amazing!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Lauren,
BTW, where have you been???

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 5:10:58 PM
Author: LaurenThePartier

Another vote for bezeled, or semi-bezeled stackers! I think it would look amazing!
Me too, this would be a great look and fun to stack!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Where do you get these semi-bezeled stackiers?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here''s a pic of the more lavender colored diamond up close. Unfortunately the stupid camera makes it look darker because of the shadow.

White gold with this one???

purplewhiteholder.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Another one in hallogens. These stones look amazing in sunlight, but I don''t have any sunlight shots.

I like the three stone look with these, but if you think there''s too much contrast between the two greenish diamonds, then let me know.

TLpinkgreen1.JPG

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another one that shows the colors a little better even though it's fuzzy. It's difficult to tell, but they're pretty well cut for colored diamonds. The lighter yellow has arrows you can visibly see.

TLpinkgreenfuzzy.JPG

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 3:19:35 PM
Author: platinumrock
HI BEG!
35.gif
I''m always happy to see you here. How are you enjoying your blueberry?
18.gif

Hi PR! Good to see you too! I love my blueberry - I was just wearing it earlier, and it provided a good 30 min of amusement during my horrible boring seminar (where I had no computer and no solitaire!).
3.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 3:31:52 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
BEG,

Yes, I'll have to check it out in my faux white gold stone holder. Maybe white gold would be the better option here. The yellow diamonds have a lot of green in them, especially the olive one, it's definitely more green than any yellow, so I'm still thinking yellow gold would be good with that stone. I would love to get a green gold head for the ring, but I don't think they make such a thing.

I think YG would look the best with your other ones too! that lavender one is tricky - it's such a pretty shade, but delicate so it's a little hard to tell what would set it off the best. tell us how it looks with the faux WG stone holder! (unless you already did and I haven't gotten to that yet- hmm should check before hitting "reply")
3.gif

EDIT: Hard to tell with that close-up - but I think WG might still look the best with that light shade of purple. Um...I personally wouldn't put the three stones together - I think the colors kind of compete with one another, and it might look better to have them as separate pieces (or at least the lavender one apart from the other two). But I'm not a big fan of lavender/purple and green as a color combo, so I'm biased

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 4:13:56 PM
Author: Fly Girl
How about semi-bezeled stackers, each in the color gold you want. I''m finding my ruby ring is fairly open on the sides, and works as a stacker, ie, the stone doesn''t touch the stone in neighboring rings. (More pics here Link)

Flygirl, who made your semi-bezel setting?? I''m looking for something pretty much exactly like that for my grossular garnet!

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 8:18:25 PM
Here''s a pic of the more lavender colored diamond up close. Unfortunately the stupid camera makes it look darker because of the shadow.

TL, thanks for adding more pics of your lovelies. I''ve never seen a lavender diamond before, and yours is even more beautiful up close. I actually like the contrast between the yellow/green stones and the lavender. Somehow, they enhance each other since yellow and lavender/purple are complementary colors.
My vote still stands on the white gold head. But the final decision is yours.

What do you like best?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/16/2009 8:47:15 PM

Date: 2/16/2009 8:18:25 PM

TL, thanks for adding more pics of your lovelies. I''ve never seen a lavender diamond before, and yours is even more beautiful up close. I actually like the contrast between the yellow/green stones and the lavender. Somehow, they enhance each other since yellow and lavender/purple are complementary colors.
My vote still stands on the white gold head. But the final decision is yours.

What do you like best?
Thanks BEG for the tips.

Thank you PR. It''s really a brownish pink, but to me it looks more purple face up (or lavender). I don''t see much "brown" in it. It''s definitely not a champagne diamond. I guess I like the combo of purple and green because they are so different. Remember my grey green diamond with the two pink sides??? I LOVE that ring, but it was a no-brainer as far as what to set the grey green in. It really pops in it''s rose gold setting. The stacking rings are a great idea, but the more I think about it, I just don''t like the sleek modern appearance to them, it''s just not "me." I''m a more ornate kind of gal. I would love to find a three stone art deco setting for them with the stones placed vertically down my finger instead of across. However, those settings only come in one color. It would be also be nice to find a three stone lucida type setting with yellow gold on the sides and white in the middle. Do they make a two tone lucida three stone setting???

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think they need to be separate. I would probably do yellow for the two smaller diamonds and white for the pink.

ETA: The darker of the yellow/green one is going to take over if you put them all in in one setting. It dominates the pictures where all three of them are together and I imagine it will dominate any setting in which they are all together. Plus. I'm not a big fan of those three colors together. The green/yellows do not enhance the pink.
40.gif

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 8:35:41 PM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl

Date: 2/16/2009 4:13:56 PM
Author: Fly Girl
How about semi-bezeled stackers, each in the color gold you want. I''m finding my ruby ring is fairly open on the sides, and works as a stacker, ie, the stone doesn''t touch the stone in neighboring rings. (More pics here Link)

Flygirl, who made your semi-bezel setting?? I''m looking for something pretty much exactly like that for my grossular garnet!
BEG - I had it made by a local jeweler here in Minneapolis, G Allen.

bebe

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 2:31:05 PM
Author: paeony
I''d probably put them in bezeled stackers like these (separate though, so that they could be worn individually/together, etc.)
love this idea !

mochi

Ideal_Rock
I agree with others...stackers! (I love them)

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely diamonds and definitely go with stackers. That would look amazing.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks everyone. Here''s a better more clear pic on a white card, but in a dim room at night. You can see that the two on the left are nicely cut for colored diamonds, but the one on the right is cut a bit too deep, which also deepens it''s color. It also does stand out a bit like Freke said. If anyone has other ideas for stackers, let me know. I wish they made engraved stackers, are they all so modern looking?

These stones are so much more vibrant in sunlight - have to get sunlight pics. My camera is pathetic.

TLpinkgreen3.JPG

sparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Funny I should find this thread.

Today I tried on bezel stacked bands with different colored asschers set in 3 different colors of gold. The bands must have been about 3mm each .....BEAUTIFUL.

I vote full bezel with 3 differing colors of gold

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/17/2009 9:41:00 AM
Author: sparkles
Funny I should find this thread.

Today I tried on bezel stacked bands with different colored asschers set in 3 different colors of gold. The bands must have been about 3mm each .....BEAUTIFUL.

I vote full bezel with 3 differing colors of gold
My other qualm with bezels is that it''s so hard to find a jeweler who can neatly do them without them being crooked or hammered (I also don''t like the hammered look), or just unsymmetrical. It is hard IMO to find a jeweler that can do such precise and perfect bezels without spending an arm and a leg. I have a bezeled tourmaline, and honestly, I was a bit dissappointed at the workmanship of the bezel, but the mount was inexpensive and the stone still looked great in it, so I let it go. This is my very expensive jeweler who does tons of custom work, and I was disappointed. Therefore, I have issues with bezels. I like them to be very clean, and I assume that is very difficult for jewelers to do.

If you look at the bezeled earrings in the middle of this thread, these are ideal bezels to me.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/dan-stair-update.107595/

Do you think my stones would look dopey with prong set stackers?

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Hi TL, jumping in a little late here, but I love prong-set stackers. Like you mentioned before, unless they''re done perfectly, bezels run the risk of looking craft fair-ish. I know some PSers love them, but the stackers on etsy just aren''t my thing. I just saw a set of prong stackers yesterday, and I liked them so much, I started running searches on eBay to see if I could find cheap settings. Let me see if I can remember where I found them - hang on....

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Found them!! Remember in another thread we were discussing how to set an octagon? I ended up looking through a bunch of the jewelry photos on various cutters sites and found this on Dan Stair''s. Having diamonds on the shank is completely up to you - I think it would look pretty both ways. The one thing I''m not sure about is if the settings in the pic are baskets or just "heads" (does this make sense?). I would think that baskets wouldn''t allow the rings to sit flush with each other, but it''s hard for me to tell from the photos. I love those rings though, and think your special diamond would be fabulous like that.

TourmalineLovers Stackers.jpg

chickpea

Shiny_Rock
i agree with those that have suggested bezeled (or semi-bezeled so you can see the pavilion) stackers. they would be especially lovely in three different colors of gold... and would perhaps help tie the different colored stones together in an "effortless chic" kind of way.

not sure whether whiteflash is in your budget, but i have a pair of bezeled studs from them and the workmanship is flawless.

chickpea

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 3:05:27 PM
Date: 2/16/2009 2:47:51 PM

Author: 4ever

I personally wouldn''t go rose gold for the lavender diamond, I now know from experience how rose gold can overshaddow a slightly pinky stone or alter the appearence of it''s colour.

I love the stacker ring idea, very classy.

I also learned the hard way. Rose gold is a strong color and it can overpower stones with pink tones. I had my peachy toned diamond set in an all rose gold ring. I thought it would be a nice combo since I''ve never had rose gold or a colored diamond before. I was forewarned that the rose gold will drown the color of the diamond. Sure enough, it did. And the diamond didn''t pop. It just blended in, much to my disappointment.

Rose gold should definitely be used with caution and great thought.

TL, I also like the stacker idea!

TL, apologies for a minor threadjack, but...

PR, did you post pics of your peachy diamond and rose gold ring?? i saw pics of the diamond loose but would love to see the finished product!

Gailey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/16/2009 2:41:14 PM

Date: 2/16/2009 2:01:13 PM

Thanks PR, no pendants though. I want a ring. but I appreciate the help. I would also be worried about it falling off as a pendant.

I was thinking not necessarily design, but who makes three stone bands that can fit such sizes, and do you think the pink gold would do anything for a lavender diamond. Would it be better with 18K pink vs 14K pink (too coppery). Thanks FlyGirl for the great ideas.

Okay, you don''t want design, but more who can design a ring that will incorporate all of the stones. Whiteflash and Wink Jones make great custom designs, depending on your budget. The setting will defnitely need to accomodate the stones and not the other way around.

1) You have two stones of similar diameter that share a yellow tint (the .32 olive and .27 greenish-yellow).

2) You have a .40 stone that has a pink/lavender tint that is the largest.

3) You definitely want the lavender stone to POP as much as possible, but you don''t want the other stones to clash.

4) If you do a yellow head, your yellow tinted stones will be enhanced, but your lavender stone might be washed out.

5) If you do a rose/pink head, the yellow tinted stones will still be enhanced, but the lavender stone might just blend in.

6) If you do a white head, the yellow tinted stones will be slightly muted, but the lavender will stand on its own and POP since there is no competing background color. Also, lavender is a cooler color and white will complement it. And I think the white head will help tie everything together.

7) In a nutshell, if you want the yellow tinted diamonds to pop, go wtih a yellow head. If you want the lavender to pop, go with the white head.

Hope this helps, and I can''t wait to see what you are going to do with these lovelies!
36.gif
TL,

I''m with PR on this one. I think what you need more than anything is options. I''m not sure if it was me that I would want to wear all three stones on the same finger at the same time. I like the stack ring idea, but perhaps mixing the diamonds in with other gemstone stackers that will enhance and suggest at the colour of the diamond. For instance, the lavender diamond I would maybe mix with a dark amethyst and a Rose de France (did I get that right) amethyst. I think the tone on tone effect would work really nicely. Throw in a couple of diamond stackers like Cellentani''s to the mix and voilà.

Gailey

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/16/2009 9:08:39 PM
Author: FrekeChild
I think they need to be separate. I would probably do yellow for the two smaller diamonds and white for the pink.

ETA: The darker of the yellow/green one is going to take over if you put them all in in one setting. It dominates the pictures where all three of them are together and I imagine it will dominate any setting in which they are all together. Plus. I''m not a big fan of those three colors together. The green/yellows do not enhance the pink.
40.gif
Ditto. Thanks Freke, I was struggling to verbalise what I was seeing!

TL, if you look at your last photo the eye is drawn to the darker yellow/green and not the lavender which would be the central point. I really think it''s not balanced correctly. However if you were to have it as a ladder pendant (I know you don''t want a pendant) or a stacker where the rings were off set from each other then it would work beautifully.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks for everyone''s comments. I''m thinking a prong stacker set is the way to go here. I''m sorry all you bezel gals, I just don''t care for bezels unless they''re super perfect.

Do you think the dark green would look bad in rose gold? I was thinking 18K yellow for the lighter yellow-green, 14K white for the lavender diamond, and 18K rose for the darker green. I know it''s a contrast, but David of DBL loves green diamonds in rose gold. I''ve seen some really pretty pics on his website. This diamond is more of an olive green, but not dark olive, it defiitely has a very green component there.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Yay for prong stackers - I''m a fan of those. Did you like the pic of the prong stackers from Dan''s site? Aesthetically, I think it would be fine to have all 3 types of gold - if they''re all the same setting, that would be enough to tie everything together (assuming you''d want to wear them all together). I''m afraid I can''t say definitively how your dark green diamond would look in the pink gold - if it''s in a prong setting, you wouldn''t see that much of it, right? Would the pink gold make the diamond look darker?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/17/2009 4:10:00 PM
Author: cellentani
Yay for prong stackers - I''m a fan of those. Did you like the pic of the prong stackers from Dan''s site? Aesthetically, I think it would be fine to have all 3 types of gold - if they''re all the same setting, that would be enough to tie everything together (assuming you''d want to wear them all together). I''m afraid I can''t say definitively how your dark green diamond would look in the pink gold - if it''s in a prong setting, you wouldn''t see that much of it, right? Would the pink gold make the diamond look darker?
Cellentani,
The prong stackers from Dan''s site are gorgeous, and I love the side shank diamonds, but I think I would just do regular plain gold shanks here. I don''t want to take away from the main colored diamonds by having too many white diamonds on the shank, and if I want to add some white diamonds, I can do the thin diamond stacker in between. I would like engraved shanks though, and that''s what I''m having a problem finding for 4 to 5 mm stones.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results