shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts....

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hunting for just the right one.... 1.8 M Transitional.... may look familiar to some... but with a little Florida sunshine on it.. or a cloud covered sun.. figures.. hasn't rained in weeks and today is overcast... :-o

Dreamer? Yssie? Gypsy? Phoenix...?Enerchi... of course I want your opinion.. make me laugh.......

Thanks for taking the time to tell me what you think...

I am actually really liking it.. and I was prepared to be luke warm...

Trying not to get the reflection of the camera lens which was a in a few shots... and my shirt.. always... I should just wear white... The indoor shot is ok.. I'm horrible with flash.. I confess.. I do so much better outside with my camera...

IMG_1582.JPG

IMG_1584.JPG

IMG_1592.JPG

IMG_1578.JPG

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
one last shot...

IMG_1594.JPG

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I'm not any of those people but I just wanted to comment that it looks like a pretty stone! I don't see any dark or dead areas and the faceting looks nice. If this is the one I think it is, the price seems good to me too. And it isn't showing a lot of color to my eye. JMO but I like it.

ETA: Just wanted to point out that if this is the one I think it is, it has a 59% table - not sure if a smaller table is important to you so just wanted to mention it.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
junebug17|1334848545|3175052 said:
Well, I'm not any of those people but I just wanted to comment that it looks like a pretty stone! I don't see any dark or dead areas and the faceting looks nice. If this is the one I think it is, the price seems good to me too. And it isn't showing a lot of color to my eye. JMO but I like it.

Junebug. :wavey: Thank you...I forget all the OEC experts... I welcome the feedback! This is much harder than I thought it would be. As we know from some of my posts! :read:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mayk|1334848887|3175057 said:
junebug17|1334848545|3175052 said:

Junebug. :wavey: Thank you...I forget all the OEC experts... I welcome the feedback! This is much harder than I thought it would be. As we know from some of my posts! :read:

Oh mayk, I am far, far, far from an expert! I just love older stones and wanted to share my thoughts! I think with these older cuts sometimes it comes down to how the stone looks in person and if it's pleasing to you. It will be interesting to hear other opinions!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
It looks like a nice tranny :rodent: I don't see any evidence of ring of death or fish eye, two of the issues you can sometimes get with trannies because they are shallower and have larger tables.

Who is the vendor and what is the price?

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer_D|1334849671|3175073 said:
It looks like a nice tranny :rodent: I don't see any evidence of ring of death or fish eye, two of the issues you can sometimes get with trannies because they are shallower and have larger tables.

Hi Dreamer! It's JbEG. $8,925. I like my pictures better... Sorry Grace! :-o

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mayk|1334849851|3175076 said:

Mayk, that was my first thought...I think the stone looks nicer in your pics! :cheeky:

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
one more

IMG_1591.JPG

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mayk|1334849851|3175076 said:

Price seems on par with OWD. You know I am going to say it is higher than you can pay elsewhere ;)) But that is your choice. It looks like a nicely cut stone, though your own eyes are better for judging that.

You might consider an independent appraiser to make surey you are paying fair value. I recommend Dave Atlas for this type of purchase, he is fair and fast and knows old cuts and the market. A friend recently used him and liked him the best of all the appraisers she has used. If you bought it for like $4k an appraiser might not be required, but at that price point I would not mess around personally.

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dreamer,

Pricing is about the same as what I am finding everywhere I look... I have looked at a number of items closely:

OWD - the ring on Adam's home page with the sapphire halo (smaller but lovely center stone.. I love.. but it's in 14Kt which I don't want and I wasn't planning on a halo for this ring.. I want a simple/plain bezel)
Lang Antiques: http://www.langantiques.com/products/item/10-1-4188
Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/listing/74762611/181ct-diamond-1920s-platinum-vintage - there is a weird reflection in the bottom of this stone that bothers me...
Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/1940s-TRANSITIONAL-CUT-1-95CT-K-VS2-RETRO-DECO-PLATINUM-IDEAL-BRILLIANT-RING-/220876395537?pt=US_Fine_Rings&hash=item336d425411#ht_741wt_1165 (the reason there are more pictures.. I asked for them)

I also studied the 1.79 on JbEG website and waiting too long to look at the 1.73 that just sold.... The new one she has that is 2ct is lovely but WAY out of my price range!!!

not to mention the stuff I found at the local shop....

I keep hoping to find a screaming deal.. and I have bid on a couple of items on ebay.. but they always climb above my threshold for "ebay risks"....

As I have said.. this is so much harder than I thought it would be.. I see the beautiful stones here.. I would love to find a screaming deal. My adjusted goal as I have searched has been.. as close to $9000 as I can get and as close to 2 cts in the J,K,L,M ish range and eye clean.. without a large Culet..

:read: :read: :?: :?: :read: :read: :bigsmile:

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
I think it is a beautiful transitional, I love the warmth!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Its gorgeous!!! :appl: :appl: :appl:

I don't know squat to be able to give you an expert opinion but I know tons about what makes my eyes happy :D --- and that's workin' for me!!! I love the size of the diamond on your hand and it has a beautiful warmth to it that also seems to face up very bright white in some of your shots. Price wise, according to the experts, its in line (or slightly above) with what other comparable stones are retailing for.

I love the bezel idea - WG? RG? YG?

Have you finalized your setting ideas yet? Singlestone? JbEG? any others???

ah ---- Florida sunshine.... so jealous!

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Enerchi...these are the things that I love about your opinions... I feel a kindred spirit... I only know what my eyes like... :naughty:

I have no idea..on a setting. Or maybe I have several but nothing specific... the thrill will be in "the hunt"

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
... and I think you have to go with what your eyes and your gut tell you, after you've done your due diligence of course! That really does look beautiful, it seems to fit your requirement bill and there are OEC/Trannie experts here who have given it a good report, so it seems like it has PS approval!! (at least that's the impression I get from reading the posts... ;)) )

Are you thrilled out of your mind when you look at it and think there is no better diamond on earth than this one??? (or maybe a slightly modified version of that response - :lol: :lol: ) because if yes, then go for it. There will ALWAYS be other diamonds that you will look at but if this one makes you happy, that's what counts!

It would make ME happy! But I'm such a magpie - I can't resist anything that sparkles! :bigsmile:

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well Enerchi...I'm also a magpie. It's mine as it worked for me. I learned a bunch including about the Kozbie effect that everyone likes...that I found I do not care for....not sure what that says about me since I believe it means it's a well cut stone... It's a little like I tell my niece who is an interior decorator... All my taste is in my mouth....

Grace was very good to me and for a little more money at a retail price I will sleep well at night :appl: Of course it's going to hang out with Grace for a little while on lay-a-way...also a bonus.... Then into a plain setting while I plan and save for a forever setting for it....Forevre until my kids get it and decide yes...mom's taste was all in her mouth! :bigsmile:

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mayk|1334923078|3176025 said:
Well Enerchi...I'm also a magpie. It's mine as it worked for me. I learned a bunch including about the Kozbie effect that everyone likes...that I found I do not care for....not sure what that says about me since I believe it means it's a well cut stone... It's a little like I tell my niece who is an interior decorator... All my taste is in my mouth....

Grace was very good to me and for a little more money at a retail price I will sleep well at night :appl: Of course it's going to hang out with Grace for a little while on lay-a-way...also a bonus.... Then into a plain setting while I plan and save for a forever setting for it....Forevre until my kids get it and decide yes...mom's taste was all in her mouth! :bigsmile:

:lol: I love a lay away plan as well! I'm sure with all of the PS guidance available to you, we can all find you a forever setting sooner than... well... FOREVER from now!

I'm so glad that this is yours and you are happy. I'm one who can't make a decision to save her life... but once I do, and I'm on board with the plans, I'm totally confident I did the right thing. May cost a bit more, but as you say, the ability to sleep at night also has a price and sometimes, I'm ok to pay for that.

soooooo...... how long before we can plan for the setting??? :naughty: :Up_to_something: :naughty:

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
[soooooo...... how long before we can plan for the setting??? :naughty: :Up_to_something: :naughty:[/quote]

Lay-a-way for three months.. tops.. looking all the while... and choose something in 3-6 hopefully.. God Willing and the Creek Don't Rise.. (Raised in the Deep South...clearly)... :Up_to_something:

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
armywife13|1334859647|3175247 said:
I think it is a beautiful transitional, I love the warmth!

Thank you armywife.... I am also loving that.... and wasn't sure I would....

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
LOL!! Well, I hope your creek stays low (or whatever the appropriate wish is for that prayer! hahaha!!)

The hunt is such a fun part, isn't it? Now that you've "trapped" your diamond, are you set on a solitaire? would you purchase smaller side stones from OWD (as an example...) and make a 3 stone? Is it definitely going to be a ring and not a pendant?

WG? YG? Plat? ....

Oh.... the thrill of the hunt - I love it!!!

Ideas you are ruminating around???? spill the beans before you head off to Scottsdale! (You are living my life, FYI! I want to go to Arizona too ;( )

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL... I am going from Florida to Arizona.. hot to hotter... so they say... two days personal.. and the rest for work.. but I will make the most of those two days...

I really, really, really like the Julia bezel by JbEG.. with no pave'. The thought was that I would like a setting that I could wear as an engagement ring or right hand ring... (after cracking a stone in the halo.. I think there are times when something with a little less bling..would be nice) but also I could wear as a right hand ring. I also LOVE :love: the bezels with the french cut side stones.. but I am guessing that would cost almost as much as the diamond... so right now those are my two favorites. Everything I have is Platinum or White Gold but I see all these warm stones set in Rose Gold and it's a great look.. and would probably make my diamond look BEAUTIFUL.... So.. if you see an outstanding Bezel.. I must consider... pass it along!!!! I clearly need all the help I can get.. :naughty:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations Mayk!!! It's a gorgeous stone! In fact, I had my eyeballs on it for a while! I'm excited for you and can't wait to see it on your finger!

I hear ya...I tried for a while to find a deal, and I just got tired of the bad pics, no return policies, restocking fees, and just not knowing if the stone was decent or not...and just didn't have the energy for buying then returning, haggling with sellers etc. I decided to go with JbEG for the peace of mind. I feel I paid a fair price in the end, and I figure I will get years of enjoyment from the stone, in addition to the fact that I'm not getting any younger and wanted some time to enjoy my diamond! I really admire those who come upon a good deal, though, and I will admit to a twinge of jealousy when I see someone score a nice stone at a really good price. It just requires more patience and time than I was willing to give.

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mayk, it's a beautiful stone! I am glad you are getting it. I think it would be gorgeous in rose gold. Can't wait to see what you decide on.

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
junebug17|1334957661|3176591 said:
Congratulations Mayk!!! It's a gorgeous stone! In fact, I had my eyeballs on it for a while! I'm excited for you and can't wait to see it on your finger!

I hear ya...I tried for a while to find a deal, and I just got tired of the bad pics, no return policies, restocking fees, and just not knowing if the stone was decent or not...and just didn't have the energy for buying then returning, haggling with sellers etc. I decided to go with JbEG for the peace of mind. I feel I paid a fair price in the end, and I figure I will get years of enjoyment from the stone, in addition to the fact that I'm not getting any younger and wanted some time to enjoy my diamond! I really admire those who come upon a good deal, though, and I will admit to a twinge of jealousy when I see someone score a nice stone at a really good price. It just requires more patience and time than I was willing to give.

I second your thought process there Junebug. I am in awe of the patience of some PSers who can manage to find amazing stones after months of trials and tribulations. I know I'm not a patient person but love the end prizes! I am also uncertain about big decisions and I defer to others recommendations more so than self sourcing. I'm a chicken on eBay!

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
Mayk|1334924483|3176034 said:
LOL... I am going from Florida to Arizona.. hot to hotter... so they say... two days personal.. and the rest for work.. but I will make the most of those two days...

I really, really, really like the Julia bezel by JbEG.. with no pave'. The thought was that I would like a setting that I could wear as an engagement ring or right hand ring... (after cracking a stone in the halo.. I think there are times when something with a little less bling..would be nice) but also I could wear as a right hand ring. I also LOVE :love: the bezels with the french cut side stones.. but I am guessing that would cost almost as much as the diamond... so right now those are my two favorites. Everything I have is Platinum or White Gold but I see all these warm stones set in Rose Gold and it's a great look.. and would probably make my diamond look BEAUTIFUL.... So.. if you see an outstanding Bezel.. I must consider... pass it along!!!! I clearly need all the help I can get.. :naughty:
I think that your ideas for the setting sound great. I was actually talking with Grace yesterday about putting my oec in RG and Plat Julia bezel. Great minds think alike!

Again, congrats on the gorgeous diamond!

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
armywife13|1335048911|3177426 said:

I think that your ideas for the setting sound great. I was actually talking with Grace yesterday about putting my oec in RG and Plat Julia bezel. Great minds think alike!

Armywife.. Would you do both RG and plat? That thought popped in my head...but thought I didn't remember seeing anything like that and I sort of let it go...

armywife13

Ideal_Rock
Mayk|1335051623|3177457 said:
armywife13|1335048911|3177426 said:

Armywife.. Would you do both RG and plat? That thought popped in my head...but thought I didn't remember seeing anything like that and I sort of let it go...
She and I were toying around with the idea of doing a delicate bezel and the basket in platinum and then the shank in rose gold. Grace brought it up and I have to say, I am loving the idea! Part of me is still yearning for the all platinum 8 prong version, but I have a soft spot in my heart for the rose gold :love:

Mayk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And my thoughts were exactly the opposite.. :Up_to_something: RG Bezel with Platinum everything else.... To bring out the warmth in the stone....

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mayk|1335059936|3177524 said:
And my thoughts were exactly the opposite.. :Up_to_something: RG Bezel with Platinum everything else.... To bring out the warmth in the stone....

This!

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm with bright ice on this - RG on the bezel, platinum (or WG if you are looking at a budget) for the balance of the setting. I love RG! I have only 1 ring in RG and it makes me feel happy when I have it on. I love the warmth of it

RG gets my vote!

(how is Scottsdale??)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results