shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts/Opinion/Advice?

Smayorga

Rough_Rock
Great step-by-step write up of the process of buying an open-market stone. Although I would probably never go to step 5. IdealScope images give you details (like painting/digging of the crown) that videos simply cannot. If the vendor couldn't at least provide an IdealScope image, I would just pass on that stone. Sure, you could test it yourself at home, but I would rather not go through a return process if it turns out to have something like a badly dug out or painted crown for instance. Just seems like more of a PITA than it's worth, as there are plenty of other stones on the open market that have both videos and IdealScope images.

I find the search for a great open market stone to be fun. Sort of like a treasure hunt. But instead of a literal buried treasure chest at the end, you get to keep more money in your pocket (which I guess is equivalent? :mrgreen:). But if you don't really enjoy the process of finding open market stones and analyzing images by yourself, then ID Jewelry is probably the best way to go. They have access to most of the open market stones, and can get you really detailed imaging (IdealScope, ASET, H&A viewer) images of any stone located in the NYC diamond district. They have a nack for finding great stones at any budget, and they'll select a few good options for you to pick from, meaning you don't have to do the grunt-work yourself. And best of all, they can usually price match other online vendors (or get pretty close to the lowest price found online), so you're not spending any more money having them do the work for you.

I know that @lovedogs recently had a great experience with IDJ, and while she went another direction with her final choice due with a custom cut, I know she would highly recommend them. :)

Thanks TreeScentist, I definitely agree with that - digging for treasure comment :lol-2: I honestly like this constant tracking down and searching around for this - it’s pretty fun and honestly I know myself and am worried “settling” with a stone. I’m definitely going to check them out! Do I just ask for HCA/PriceScope approves diamonds and ask for the ideal scope images?

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So to recertify that specific 1.53 stone - how does one go about requesting that? Through FourMine?

Interesting...it’s so crazy how much goes into selecting these stones + and honestly pretty overwhelming. I read a post on here many years ago - and it had made mention of Carl Romaner using HCA but not citing it on his website/videos. I had no idea what he meant - and while I was emailing and calling him back and forth - I always wondered how can he tell a diamond will perform well based on virtual inventory. Makes sense.

Sledge, between AGS or GIA - which would you personally pick?

I was just told and read that GIA is the way to go...

The AGS vs GIA debate will probably never end, and I guess each person has their own personal preferences. GIA is definitely the most widely-recognized lab around the world due to it being larger in size (which is probably why you've heard that GIA is the best) but AGS is just a trustworthy and reliable. I trust both labs, as they are both reasonably consistent with both color and clarity grading. I put more weight into the performance of the actual diamond in question rather than what certificate it has. AGS platinum certificates give you more info right out of the box, as they provide a "virtual ASET" to help you determine light performance. But if you can get the IS and/or reflector images for GIA stones, and they look just as good as the reflector images for a similar AGS stone, then there is no difference.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks TreeScentist, I definitely agree with that - digging for treasure comment :lol-2: I honestly like this constant tracking down and searching around for this - it’s pretty fun and honestly I know myself and am worried “settling” with a stone. I’m definitely going to check them out! Do I just ask for HCA/PriceScope approves diamonds and ask for the ideal scope images?

Yep. :) Like I said, when contacting IDJ, just give them your budget, the size you want, and your color preferences (and that you really want it to be eye-clean). And most importantly, that you want "PriceScope quality" for the cut. They'll try to get as close to your desired size for your budget. But just from looking around on different sites, I do think you may need to up the budget to a bit over $9k (maybe $10k) if you want to get an eye-clean 1.5+ carat stone of decent cut quality. But let's see what IDJ can do. :)

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Great step-by-step write up of the process of buying an open-market stone. Although I would probably never go to step 5. IdealScope images give you details (like painting/digging of the crown) that videos simply cannot. If the vendor couldn't at least provide an IdealScope image, I would just pass on that stone. Sure, you could test it yourself at home, but I would rather not go through a return process if it turns out to have something like a badly dug out or painted crown for instance. Just seems like more of a PITA than it's worth, as there are plenty of other stones on the open market that have both videos and IdealScope images.

I would certainly agree step 5 is a PITA; however, in all honesty it's just part of dealing with virtual inventory IMHO. Many of the suppliers don't play ball, or simply lack the technology, to provide advanced imaging. For stones that show very strong promise, I think it's a worthwhile venture.

I think the 1.53 is one of those stones personally. Great proportions, great clarity, unreal price. Still, my first preference is always to ask and push for as much data ahead of time as possible so no time or effort is wasted.

So to recertify that specific 1.53 stone - how does one go about requesting that? Through FourMine?

Interesting...it’s so crazy how much goes into selecting these stones + and honestly pretty overwhelming. I read a post on here many years ago - and it had made mention of Carl Romaner using HCA but not citing it on his website/videos. I had no idea what he meant - and while I was emailing and calling him back and forth - I always wondered how can he tell a diamond will perform well based on virtual inventory. Makes sense.

Sledge, between AGS or GIA - which would you personally pick?

I was just told and read that GIA is the way to go...

Yes, you need to contact FourMine, and ask them about re-certifying the stone. They may have already had plans to do so, or it may be an additional charge. I'd be okay paying with an agreement that if the stone comes back any different, they eat the costs. Otherwise, you pay it and have confirmation all is good.

Alternatively, you could buy and send to GIA yourself; however, if the stone comes back re-graded differently you borne all the risk.

I personally prefer AGS certification. I trust it more because they utilize advanced 3D modeling to scan the diamond and obtain very precise measurements. Ultimately this allows them to be the only lab to provide a true cut grade, which I think provides a level of assurance and confidence when buying a stone.

I dislike how GIA uses a funky method to round their proportions data on the cert. While not always the case, there can be considerable variance between reported crown & pavilion angles and the actual ones. This is why I don't like pushing the boundaries with certain angle combos on GIA stones.

Additionally, GIA categories of Excellent seem very broad. Many times a XXX stone isn't very excellent at all.

Despite my disagreements with GIA, I do recognize they are a trusted & respected lab that is legitimate in their grading. I do hope to see them advance to 3D modeling and tighten their tolerances but overall they are still a good lab.

Some indicate GIA grades more harshly on color meaning GIA may grade a stone as I but maybe AGS would grade as an H or I. So if a consumer is color sensitive, there may be slight advantage to a GIA stone. There is no good scientific data I've seen to support this -- just some people's opinions and thoughts. That said, color grading is subjective at best and as you move into the lower colors the ranges and variances increase making it extremely difficult to grade.

Smayorga

Rough_Rock
Yep. :) Like I said, when contacting IDJ, just give them your budget, the size you want, and your color preferences (and that you really want it to be eye-clean). And most importantly, that you want "PriceScope quality" for the cut. They'll try to get as close to your desired size for your budget. But just from looking around on different sites, I do think you may need to up the budget to a bit over $9k (maybe $10k) if you want to get an eye-clean 1.5+ carat stone of decent cut quality. But let's see what IDJ can do. :)

Interesting - I never heard those points in regards to the GIA vs AGS debate. I will give them a ring today and see what they come up with :)

I would certainly agree step 5 is a PITA; however, in all honesty it's just part of dealing with virtual inventory IMHO. Many of the suppliers don't play ball, or simply lack the technology, to provide advanced imaging. For stones that show very strong promise, I think it's a worthwhile venture.

I think the 1.53 is one of those stones personally. Great proportions, great clarity, unreal price. Still, my first preference is always to ask and push for as much data ahead of time as possible so no time or effort is wasted.

Yes, you need to contact FourMine, and ask them about re-certifying the stone. They may have already had plans to do so, or it may be an additional charge. I'd be okay paying with an agreement that if the stone comes back any different, they eat the costs. Otherwise, you pay it and have confirmation all is good.

Alternatively, you could buy and send to GIA yourself; however, if the stone comes back re-graded differently you borne all the risk.

I personally prefer AGS certification. I trust it more because they utilize advanced 3D modeling to scan the diamond and obtain very precise measurements. Ultimately this allows them to be the only lab to provide a true cut grade, which I think provides a level of assurance and confidence when buying a stone.

I dislike how GIA uses a funky method to round their proportions data on the cert. While not always the case, there can be considerable variance between reported crown & pavilion angles and the actual ones. This is why I don't like pushing the boundaries with certain angle combos on GIA stones.

Additionally, GIA categories of Excellent seem very broad. Many times a XXX stone isn't very excellent at all.

Despite my disagreements with GIA, I do recognize they are a trusted & respected lab that is legitimate in their grading. I do hope to see them advance to 3D modeling and tighten their tolerances but overall they are still a good lab.

Some indicate GIA grades more harshly on color meaning GIA may grade a stone as I but maybe AGS would grade as an H or I. So if a consumer is color sensitive, there may be slight advantage to a GIA stone. There is no good scientific data I've seen to support this -- just some people's opinions and thoughts. That said, color grading is subjective at best and as you move into the lower colors the ranges and variances increase making it extremely difficult to grade.

Awesome - I'm in contact with a rep from FourMine with the 1.53 stone. They sent me this - http://media.kgkonlineinventory.com/files/INVENTORYDATA/VISION360/Vision360.html?d=1283050

however they don't have any idealscope images are you guys said - the rep insisted that the specifications of the stone will reproduce the sparkle I'm looking for. They could only put a 24hour if the cutter allowed it - so I requested that...

Quick question sledge - you think it would be worth dropping the clarity a little for a larger stone?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That video looks good to me.

No surprise on the idealscope image not being attainable. Those proportions are killer and my personal favorite so if price, size and color are good for you I'd be willing to take a gamble. I'd buy the scopes so I could thoroughly examine when it got there and then take advantage of their return policy if needed.

Hands down you can do less clarity. I just haven't found a stone with similar awesome proportions that is likely eye clean AND offers you a size or color bump.

FYI the larger the stone the more the color and clarity matters IMO as there is more mass to visually analyze than on a smaller stone.

You have a tight budget for everything you are trying to obtain. You will need to sacrifice somewhere. You need to decide what is most and least important to you. I am all about quality so I'd much rather have a slightly smaller stone with killer cut and clarity than a larger one with visible inclusions. I could never be happy with the bigger stone myself.

But others are just the opposite of me. I'm critical and I accept this. You may feel different and that's okay too.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Agree with @sledge. Love the proportions on the stone (and really love the fat arrows and tiny table :love:). It appears to have good light return from the video, and has beautiful clarity. Also, the color is a nice soft yellow/ivory color (my favorite undertone in near-colorless diamonds, as this is the undertone that usually faces up the whitest).

Sure, VVS clarity is a bit overkill, but the diamond is well priced even if it was a VS clarity, so the VVS is just a bonus.

This might be one of those rare cases where it's worth ordering the stone without the images, as long as you're comfortable with needing to potentially return it if it doesn't look good in person. 40.8/34.5 is the sweet spot for MRB angles, so you won't see any leakage under the table or anything. The only thing that the IS image would be useful for in this case is to check for crown painting/digging. You could also ask the FourMine rep to take an IS image once it arrives at their office. They should be able to do this for you.

ETA: Actually, I just thought of a better idea. Give the GIA number of this stone to IDJ and see if they have access to it. That way, you could get the IS/ASET/H&A images to confirm the performance before having it shipped to you. Saves you the trouble of a potential return, and you could also work with IDJ for the setting (they have access to a crap-ton of both non-designer and designer settings). It would be a win win!!!

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Like the idea of trying to rope IDJ into the equation. You'd get the images, maybe a better price and access to settings galore. Plus Yeukitel has a great rep here so you'd be in great hands for the whole process.

Even if he can't access the stone you could use him for the setting process. Just dont let it slip away. That one is a rare find indeed and worth the risk of buying directly without images.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Like the idea of trying to rope IDJ into the equation. You'd get the images, maybe a better price and access to settings galore. Plus Yeukitel has a great rep here so you'd be in great hands for the whole process.

Even if he can't access the stone you could use him for the setting process. Just dont let it slip away. That one is a rare find indeed and worth the risk of buying directly without images.

Exactly. And if you did send the stone to him for setting, he could also take the images for you at that time, so you wouldn't need to buy your own IdealScope (unless of course you wanted to just to play with later. :) )

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love the idea of asking idj to source this stone .they may have access to more info/can order the stone and get aset/IS. Also, you can get the setting from them to make the transaction all happen w one vendor, which makes things much easier.

Smayorga

Rough_Rock
That video looks good to me.

No surprise on the idealscope image not being attainable. Those proportions are killer and my personal favorite so if price, size and color are good for you I'd be willing to take a gamble. I'd buy the scopes so I could thoroughly examine when it got there and then take advantage of their return policy if needed.

Hands down you can do less clarity. I just haven't found a stone with similar awesome proportions that is likely eye clean AND offers you a size or color bump.

FYI the larger the stone the more the color and clarity matters IMO as there is more mass to visually analyze than on a smaller stone.

You have a tight budget for everything you are trying to obtain. You will need to sacrifice somewhere. You need to decide what is most and least important to you. I am all about quality so I'd much rather have a slightly smaller stone with killer cut and clarity than a larger one with visible inclusions. I could never be happy with the bigger stone myself.

But others are just the opposite of me. I'm critical and I accept this. You may feel different and that's okay too.

That makes sense...I think most women like the idea of bigger is better - but I'm hoping a stone with these proportions will have that sparkle that will outshine larger stones. I'm worried the I is a little too low in color - but other than that this stone does look like a winner!
With everyone posting here - I've received more knowledge and insight than I did these last 2 months with "professionals" - truly awesome and I'm so appreciative of everything!

Is Yeukitel a user on pricescope? Do you by any chance know the name of the rep he/she uses at IDJ?

Agree with @sledge. Love the proportions on the stone (and really love the fat arrows and tiny table :love:). It appears to have good light return from the video, and has beautiful clarity. Also, the color is a nice soft yellow/ivory color (my favorite undertone in near-colorless diamonds, as this is the undertone that usually faces up the whitest).

Sure, VVS clarity is a bit overkill, but the diamond is well priced even if it was a VS clarity, so the VVS is just a bonus.

This might be one of those rare cases where it's worth ordering the stone without the images, as long as you're comfortable with needing to potentially return it if it doesn't look good in person. 40.8/34.5 is the sweet spot for MRB angles, so you won't see any leakage under the table or anything. The only thing that the IS image would be useful for in this case is to check for crown painting/digging. You could also ask the FourMine rep to take an IS image once it arrives at their office. They should be able to do this for you.

ETA: Actually, I just thought of a better idea. Give the GIA number of this stone to IDJ and see if they have access to it. That way, you could get the IS/ASET/H&A images to confirm the performance before having it shipped to you. Saves you the trouble of a potential return, and you could also work with IDJ for the setting (they have access to a crap-ton of both non-designer and designer settings). It would be a win win!!!

Yeah, I was thinking it was overkill - but the price seemed in line with with VS stones anyway - I guess it comes down to sparkle vs size in this case! I'd be pairing this stone with a white gold band - the color should still be "colorless" enough where I'm sacrificing that for a superior cut right? I really really dig that idea!! I tried calling IDJ but they reopen tomorrow. Hoping no one snags this 1.53 stone!

Love the idea of asking idj to source this stone .they may have access to more info/can order the stone and get aset/IS. Also, you can get the setting from them to make the transaction all happen w one vendor, which makes things much easier.

Definitely agree! I was beginning to now look around for the best place to take a loose diamond - I hope they can make this happen!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeukiteil isn't a user on PS, but either ask for him or Shulamit and you'll be well taken care of. I believe they keep up with threads, but don't actively participate.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
About the notation that “additional clouds are not shown” is generally ok. This means the clouds are too small to plot & don’t affect the performance of the diamond. For an SI-1or 2, still ok but better to have a PS vendor eyeball it. It’s when you see “clarity based on clouds not shown” you need to worry.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
About the notation that “additional clouds are not shown” is generally ok. This means the clouds are too small to plot & don’t affect the performance of the diamond. For an SI-1or 2, still ok but better to have a PS vendor eyeball it. It’s when you see “clarity based on clouds not shown” you need to worry.

Eh, kind of.

Inclusions are listed in the order they affect the stone. The first inclusion listed, or the one on top, is known as the "grading inclusion" meaning that inclusion is what set the entire stone's clarity grade. A grade setting cloud inclusion should raise a warning flag, as the stone needs to be checked to ensure there are no clarity issues.

Couple this with the "additional clouds not shown" note on the side and that is a particularly dangerous combination that requires even more careful examination. It isn't a guarantee there is a problem, but there is a much higher probability.

Although many SI1's and most VS2's won't have issues, you can't bank on that. You need to check the inclusion chart and determine if you have reason to be concerned that may or may not require additional vetting. There are many good SI1 stones and many more VS2's. On the flip side, I'd say there are very few SI2's that are truly eye clean and don't have issues of some sort.

Smayorga

Rough_Rock
Exactly. And if you did send the stone to him for setting, he could also take the images for you at that time, so you wouldn't need to buy your own IdealScope (unless of course you wanted to just to play with later. :) )

Yeukiteil isn't a user on PS, but either ask for him or Shulamit and you'll be well taken care of. I believe they keep up with threads, but don't actively participate.

Eh, kind of.

Inclusions are listed in the order they affect the stone. The first inclusion listed, or the one on top, is known as the "grading inclusion" meaning that inclusion is what set the entire stone's clarity grade. A grade setting cloud inclusion should raise a warning flag, as the stone needs to be checked to ensure there are no clarity issues.

Couple this with the "additional clouds not shown" note on the side and that is a particularly dangerous combination that requires even more careful examination. It isn't a guarantee there is a problem, but there is a much higher probability.

Although many SI1's and most VS2's won't have issues, you can't bank on that. You need to check the inclusion chart and determine if you have reason to be concerned that may or may not require additional vetting. There are many good SI1 stones and many more VS2's. On the flip side, I'd say there are very few SI2's that are truly eye clean and don't have issues of some sort.

I spoke to Yeukiteil this morning and he was super awesome! I told him what I was looking for and sent him the stone that sledge linked earlier in this thread as well.

He did present to me this stone
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...color-si1-clarity-true-hearts-cut-sku-4578861

it was listed at JA for $11,400

But he is giving me a great price since I was referred over (thank you!) with the setting I wanted in platinum. What do you guys think? He has this stone in hand and will be sending me actual pictures shortly.

igs

Rough_Rock
Trade
Hi Smayorga, I would recommend forgetting the SI2 and go SI1. For a small difference you might as well go SI1. With SI2's there's always a big chance that you'll end up seeing the inclusions sooner or later. The ideal scenario might be an SI1 with faint fluorescence in order to boost the color to H-I.
There are diamonds out there that match those criteria. For example, there is a 1.70ct. I SI1 GIA Triple EX with faint fluorescence and having an HCA score of 1.9 in 'the best for rings category' and the price is $9275.00. This particular diamond has a great spread with a diameter of 7.74mms. This is just one example of what I think would be a good diamond for you to have. I would just tend to avoid the SI2's and make sure that your hca is less than 2.4 and you have great spread or diameter on the diamond.
Thanks Smayorga. Best of luck in your search.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I spoke to Yeukiteil this morning and he was super awesome! I told him what I was looking for and sent him the stone that sledge linked earlier in this thread as well.

He did present to me this stone
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...color-si1-clarity-true-hearts-cut-sku-4578861

it was listed at JA for $11,400

But he is giving me a great price since I was referred over (thank you!) with the setting I wanted in platinum. What do you guys think? He has this stone in hand and will be sending me actual pictures shortly.

I like that stone, especially if you are getting a fair price for it (the JA mark up is just silly). Actual pictures are always really helpful. And I trust yeukiteil's judgement!

Smayorga

Rough_Rock
Hi Smayorga, I would recommend forgetting the SI2 and go SI1. For a small difference you might as well go SI1. With SI2's there's always a big chance that you'll end up seeing the inclusions sooner or later. The ideal scenario might be an SI1 with faint fluorescence in order to boost the color to H-I.
There are diamonds out there that match those criteria. For example, there is a 1.70ct. I SI1 GIA Triple EX with faint fluorescence and having an HCA score of 1.9 in 'the best for rings category' and the price is $9275.00. This particular diamond has a great spread with a diameter of 7.74mms. This is just one example of what I think would be a good diamond for you to have. I would just tend to avoid the SI2's and make sure that your hca is less than 2.4 and you have great spread or diameter on the diamond.
Thanks Smayorga. Best of luck in your search.

Interesting - I may tell Yeukitel to see if we can up the size. Can you link me that specific diamond?

I like that stone, especially if you are getting a fair price for it (the JA mark up is just silly). Actual pictures are always really helpful. And I trust yeukiteil's judgement!

Yeah! he will give me that stone with the Tiffany Style setting (in platinum) for $10k flat - bank wire or credit card. I think that isn't bad at all!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Smayorga, vendors and people in the trade aren't allowed to recommend specific stones or talk about specific inventory. So I think Martin was speaking more generally in this case.

Smayorga

Rough_Rock
@Smayorga, vendors and people in the trade aren't allowed to recommend specific stones or talk about specific inventory. So I think Martin was speaking more generally in this case.

Oh, that makes sense - I didn't realize he was a vendor! I will run it with IDJ - but the convo will come back to quality vs size and also what we will actually see in person basically huh

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh, that makes sense - I didn't realize he was a vendor! I will run it with IDJ - but the convo will come back to quality vs size and also what we will actually see in person basically huh

Most likely yes. But that's why I like working with IDJ so much--they'll help you think through how best to balance cut, color, size, etc, within budget.

TreeScientist

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I hate to break it to you, but I really don't like that stone's inclusion plot. It has a knot right on the crown facet, and a cavity on the girdle right where two on the crown facets intersect each other. A knot is basically a small crystal that breaks the surface of the diamond. I would only buy a diamond if the knot and/or cavity was safely hidden under the pavilion of the diamond. If knots/cavities are on the surface of the crown facets, or especially on the girdle, then they are potential durability issues. It's rare that an SI1 inclusion would present problems, but still, the possibility is there. Basically, if you hit the diamond just right, there's a chance that the knot will just fall out, and then you'll be left with a cavity. Also, a cavity on the girdle is basically a chip, and could grow if it is on a cleavage plane.

Was there any reason Yeukiteil couldn't get a hold of the VVS diamond posted by @sledge? That diamond is, IMO, much better for the price.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hate to break it to you, but I really don't like that stone's inclusion plot. It has a knot right on the crown facet, and a cavity on the girdle right where two on the crown facets intersect each other. A knot is basically a small crystal that breaks the surface of the diamond. I would only buy a diamond if the knot and/or cavity was safely hidden under the pavilion of the diamond. If knots/cavities are on the surface of the crown facets, or especially on the girdle, then they are potential durability issues. It's rare that an SI1 inclusion would present problems, but still, the possibility is there. Basically, if you hit the diamond just right, there's a chance that the knot will just fall out, and then you'll be left with a cavity. Also, a cavity on the girdle is basically a chip, and could grow if it is on a cleavage plane.

Was there any reason Yeukiteil couldn't get a hold of the VVS diamond posted by @sledge? That diamond is, IMO, much better for the price.

Which one--the one from JA that IDJ has? I didn't see a knot or cavity on the GIA plot--am I missing something?

EDIT. Maybe you were referring to the 1.79 one?

Smayorga

Rough_Rock

Interesting...I'm definitely going by what everyone has been telling me to pick - since I'm pretty clueless to these terms. But he basically was telling me the one that sledge linked was great - but with flaws...went into some detail (using angles and proportions etc)

Then he did some searching and found this one. Should I push for the original stone? He did say that stone currently sits in Hong Kong - he probably pushed away since I told him that I was looking to purchase within a few weeks and such...so I'm assuming he didn't think it'd be here in time or something?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting...I'm definitely going by what everyone has been telling me to pick - since I'm pretty clueless to these terms. But he basically was telling me the one that sledge linked was great - but with flaws...went into some detail (using angles and proportions etc)

Then he did some searching and found this one. Should I push for the original stone? He did say that stone currently sits in Hong Kong - he probably pushed away since I told him that I was looking to purchase within a few weeks and such...so I'm assuming he didn't think it'd be here in time or something?

Please tell what was out of whack. Table was smaller (better) and crown/pavilion was the same. Only thing I liked better on the other stone was it had 75 lower girdle facets, which means fatter arrows and slightly better performance in dark (but not quite as good in bright environments). The one i had was 80 LGF with smaller arrows and inverse advantages. We are talking minimal differences and 75-80 is acceptable so I'm not really sure that is it or not.

Please find out so we can address.

As it stands, it appears you are trading VVS clarity for SI1 and fatter arrows for the same money. While I do prefer fat arrows the VVS is what I would choose personally.

Paul-Antwerp

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Please tell what was out of whack. Table was smaller (better) and crown/pavilion was the same. Only thing I liked better on the other stone was it had 75 lower girdle facets, which means fatter arrows and slightly better performance in dark (but not quite as good in bright environments). The one i had was 80 LGF with smaller arrows and inverse advantages. We are talking minimal differences and 75-80 is acceptable so I'm not really sure that is it or not.

As it stands, it appears you are trading VVS clarity for SI1 and fatter arrows for the same money. While I do prefer fat arrows the VVS is what I would choose personally.

Hi Sledge,

Two of your comments seem weird to me. Can you clarify?

- Why do you seem to say a smaller table is better?
- I have the impression that you are automatically linking shorter lower girdle facets to fatter arrows, while I am missing whether the stone even has arrows. What am I missing?
- What makes you state that this again is directly linked to better performance in dark environments?

Live long,

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

If you are not ready to buy right now, you are wasting everyone's time, to be honest. Yekutiel can't go to the expense of having a stone shipped from Hong Kong unless you pay for the stone (and the shipping is relatively fast). He absolutely cannot hold ANY stone for a few weeks. Looking at stones now is pointless because some we look at won't be available in a few weeks and there will be new stones available then. You shouldn't have been contacting a jeweler until you are ready to buy.

Smayorga

Rough_Rock

Yeah I definitely will get more info - due to the holiday they are closed and I will get back in contact with him on Wednesday. Thank you for your input Sledge!

If you are not ready to buy right now, you are wasting everyone's time, to be honest. Yekutiel can't go to the expense of having a stone shipped from Hong Kong unless you pay for the stone (and the shipping is relatively fast). He absolutely cannot hold ANY stone for a few weeks. Looking at stones now is pointless because some we look at won't be available in a few weeks and there will be new stones available then. You shouldn't have been contacting a jeweler until you are ready to buy.

I may have not communicated the best -

I tell every jeweler I have the cash liquid and ready to wire. When other PriceScope members asked me why Yeukitel dismissed the other stone - I was trying to say that - him knowing I wanted to get this done pretty soon/now, he may have neglected that stone for that reason (which was my assumption). He went over reasons why he didn't think that stone was better (but these reasons were pretty technical that I didn't fully grasp all the terms you guys know). That's all I meant by initial post. I literally have the money sitting in a separate account to wire it when the diamond is right.

Smayorga

Rough_Rock
Which one--the one from JA that IDJ has? I didn't see a knot or cavity on the GIA plot--am I missing something?

EDIT. Maybe you were referring to the 1.79 one?

I'm pretty sure we're talking about the same one. The 1.53 I/SI1 "True Hearts" on JA

https://www.jamesallen.com/mobile/l...color-si1-clarity-true-hearts-cut-sku-4578861

Hey guys - what do you think of this stone? Yeukitel sent over this stone to me as an option - GIA certificate: 6291158908

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results