shape
carat
color
clarity

thoughts on this vintage find

vip0802

Brilliant_Rock
my mom came across this gorgeous ring and i''m 90% sure that it''s an OEC. i actually don''t remember how she acquired it, and since it didn''t come with any papers, she got it appraised. here are the stats from the report (from what i can remember):

round brilliant

2.60 carats - H-VVS2

8.69x8.89x5.16

depth: 57.8

table: 62

i know that OECs generally have small tables and high crowns, but do these specs reflect that of an OEC? i don''t think it''s a transitional either since it doesn''t have that "checkerboard" appearance. here are some pics but i have to warn you, it was dirrrrty when i took these.
38.gif

vipoec1.JPG

vip0802

Brilliant_Rock
here's a close-up. it's hard to see in this photo, but it has a small culet. smaller than most culets i've seen on OECs

vipoec2.JPG

vip0802

Brilliant_Rock
profile shot

vipoec3.JPG

vip0802

Brilliant_Rock
and finally, here''s a shot of it on my hand. even in crappy fluorescent lighting, this baby was so bright and sparkly...not to mention awesome finger coverage!
18.gif

vipoec4.JPG

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
I don''t know what the cut is, but it is a GORGEOUS ring!!!
30.gif

tulip928

Brilliant_Rock
I think it may be a transitional. It''s fantastic!
30.gif

Honey228

Shiny_Rock
So pretty! Gives me a new appreciation for big rounds!

zhuzhu

Ideal_Rock
I love your ring!

oddoneout

Ideal_Rock
I''m not sure of the cut but it is amazing.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Yes, it is a transitional cut stone. In the evolution to the modern round brilliant, the transitional cut bridges the time between the old european cut and the stones we see now. This evolution was a process, so not all transitionals look the same. What you have here, a larger table, small culet, and a very symmetrical and chunky pattern, are consistent with this time frame.

You have a beautiful diamond! I hope you get to enjoy it often!!

shine4me

Rough_Rock
Oh my I want I want!
3.gif
That is absolutely gorgeous!! Your mom is a lucky lady and the finger coverage...wow!!! Beautiful!

Snicklefritz

Brilliant_Rock
WOW! That''s one spectacular ring! Lucky mom. Hope she enjoys her new show stopper.

ArtistJess

Shiny_Rock
that''s freaking gorgeous!
36.gif

Lurchie

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/10/2010 2:08:38 PM
Author: ericad
THUD.
D.I.T.T.O.

How come I never "come across" things like this? Lint sure, and a lost sock every now and then, but eye-popping 2+ carat transitional cut diamonds? Nope, never.

Vip - congrats to your mom (and you) on a gorgeous find. Wear it in good health!

Lurchie

Shiny_Rock
Oh, and p.s., you should post this in the SMTR forum. This baby needs a bigger audience!
2.gif

vip0802

Brilliant_Rock
thank you for all the lovely comments! my mom definitely appreciates it and is beyond thrilled with it.
36.gif
i actually got to spend the day with her (and the ring) yesterday and the more i tried it on, the more i fell in love. it actually pained me to take it off and give it back to her, so i jokingly suggested that my mom should sell it to BF as my future engagement ring! she laughed...a lot. oh well, a girl can dream right?
3.gif

tulip928, Upgradable and ericad - i knew i could count on you guys! after looking at it more closely, and comparing it to other OEC stones my mom had, we concluded that it was definitely a transitional. thank you so much for the info! oh, and getting a "THUD" from Erica is like the biggest compliment EVER!

Lurchie - LOL! i know what you mean about coming across things! my mom is either the luckiest goodie finder or has some special knack for being at the right place at the right time. she finds the most amazing jewelry at pawn shops (not that she found this particular ring at one, but still...), and can see past all the tarnish, dirt and grime to find those hidden treasures.

here are some more pics i took:

i paired it with my eternity ring here.
30.gif
ETA: i just noticed how yellow it looks here. it definitely does not look like that IRL. i think the blue in my jeans affected the white balance when i took the photo

viptransband1.JPG

vip0802

Brilliant_Rock
here''s another close up

viptrans1.JPG

vip0802

Brilliant_Rock
just for fun and a better close up, i took a picture through a loupe

viptrans21.JPG

vip0802

Brilliant_Rock
real life perspective on a size 4 1/4 finger. because of the setting i think it looks like a princess cut from far away, but i think that's what so unique about the ring.

viptrans3.JPG

vip0802

Brilliant_Rock
oh, i forgot to mention that i was wrong about it being H in color. the appraisal graded it as J-K and even though there isn''t any florescence indicated, it looks whiter to me. then again, i''m not very color sensitive. my mom was spot on about the clarity even before she got it appraised though. the plot is clean besides the 2 extra facets and nick by the girdle.

viptransreport.JPG

jewelerman

Ideal_Rock
just putting my 2 cents in that its a transitional cut and that its a beautiful ring!When you tire of it i would be happy to give it a good home with lots of care.

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
I''d sell a kidney for this beauty!!!! Anyone need a kidney?

fairwayflunkie

Shiny_Rock
Wowzers...this is the exact setting (top part) as the one I got off of e-bay...definately transitional...man what a find...congrats

Luckyeshe

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous ring!! You lucky, ladies!! What an awesome find!!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks somewhat modernish and could be cut right around the time the modern RB came into existence.

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
that is beautiful!

stci

Ideal_Rock
36.gif
18.gif
36.gif
30.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results