shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this stone

themerv

Rough_Rock
Hi!

I'm in the process of buying a loose diamond for an engagement ring, and you all have been extremely helpful!
I am still waiting to hear back from Martin (from USACertedDiamonds), who is doing a search for me as well, but in the mean time have found what I think is a nice stone in my price range and was hoping for any guidance.

For reference, I'm looking for something 1.2-1.4Ca, I+, SI2+, and really want killer proportions/cut. Ideally in the $5-6.5K range (for the stone).

Any thoughts on this guy?

3801391_0_large.jpg

17720_ltsc.jpg

3801391_1_large.jpg

Ca: 1.26
Color: I
Clarity: SI1
Triple Ex
Dimensions: 6.90x6.94x4.26
Table: 58%
Depth 61.6
Crown: 36
Pavillion: 40.6

HCA: 1.6

I know the table is on the larger side, with a slightly steep crown angle, but was hopeful the more shallow pavillion would counteract that?
Also, wasn't sure if the wisps or feathers would be a problem.

Thanks in advance!

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
IMHO If you want killer proportions then say no to this one. It’s too deep and the aset and idealscope show less light return under the table.

I just did a search on priscope and came up with nothing with an excellent HCA with your parameters. I’d suggest going down in size and way up in quality VS2-SI1. If you purchase with a company with a great trade up policy you can go up in size on an important anniversary in the future.

Otherwise, James Allen would be a great place to search. Horrible upgrade policy but lots of included stones to choose from.

Last edited:

twosanguinehearts

Brilliant_Rock
Hi!

I'm in the process of buying a loose diamond for an engagement ring, and you all have been extremely helpful!
I am still waiting to hear back from Martin (from USACertedDiamonds), who is doing a search for me as well, but in the mean time have found what I think is a nice stone in my price range and was hoping for any guidance.

For reference, I'm looking for something 1.2-1.4Ca, I+, SI2+, and really want killer proportions/cut. Ideally in the $5-6.5K range (for the stone).

Any thoughts on this guy?

3801391_0_large.jpg

17720_ltsc.jpg

3801391_1_large.jpg

Ca: 1.26
Triple Ex
Dimensions: 6.90x6.94x4.26
Table: 58%
Depth 61.6
Crown: 36
Pavillion: 40.6

HCA: 1.6

I know the table is on the larger side, with a slightly steep crown angle, but was hopeful the more shallow pavillion would counteract that?
Also, wasn't sure if the wisps or feathers would be a problem.

Thanks in advance!

I’ve reached out to him in the past and found him to be very flaky. Have you considered a Whiteflash ACA stone? Guaranteed to be the very best cut and performer available, plus they have an incredible lifetime upgrade program. If you see something on their site I would highly recommend that direction instead...

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
High Performance Diamonds would be another great option. You’d need to go down in size for the price point, but they have a great upgrade policy and the sparkle will knock everything else out of the park!

Kaycee2018

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Not sure why anyone would think that 61.6% Is considered “too deep” for a MRB, but I do agree that the advanced images seem to indicate some less than perfect areas, so if you are looking for the absolute best cut this may not be the right choice. But is isn’t terrible by any stretch of the imagination. Not sure what the return policy is, but it might be worth ordering to see IRL.

themerv

Rough_Rock
Thank you for the advice!
Yeah, I was a little confused by the "too deep" comment as well... From what I've seen anything up to ~62.8 is a reasonable depth, but may be mistaken? But sounds good, I am still learning interpretation of the advanced imaging, so is incredible helpful having others to analyze! From what I've seen on Whiteflash and HPD, their stones are incredible, but a little out of my price-range, and looking to hit the 1.2 mark so the stone fits well into a custom Ring Crown I'm having made. I'll reach back out to Martin, and hopefully he can dig something up, but will otherwise keep looking!

Elise_k

Rough_Rock
If you’re in Canada, I would recommend Aaron (thediamondshopper) in Toronto!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure why anyone would think that 61.6% Is considered “too deep” for a MRB, but I do agree that the advanced images seem to indicate some less than perfect areas, so if you are looking for the absolute best cut this may not be the right choice. But is isn’t terrible by any stretch of the imagination. Not sure what the return policy is, but it might be worth ordering to see IRL.

Agreed. The stone is NOT too deep at all. I wouldn't call it the best possible cut, but if you want to maximize size for your budget it's not a bad choice at all

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock

My mistake. I should have said crown too steep. But I would not go up to 62.8 for sure. 62.3 max but not if you’re looking for the best cut stone.

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
I found this one that‘s pretty good looking. You can request the certificate and see what the numbers are. True Hearts stones are generally well cut ideals.

themerv

Rough_Rock
I found this one that‘s pretty good looking. You can request the certificate and see what the numbers are. True Hearts stones are generally well cut ideals.

Thanks! Definitely a nice cut, I'm a little nervous about the inclusions though. Especially on the Hearts and Diamonds images they seem to be obscuring the view and might make the stone look cloudy?

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks! Definitely a nice cut, I'm a little nervous about the inclusions though. Especially on the Hearts and Diamonds images they seem to be obscuring the view and might make the stone look cloudy?

I understand your concern. But the hearts image seems to show the inclusions the most and she won’t be viewing the stone from the bottom. The arrows image shows relatively little to my eye. That is going to be the challenge with an SI2. Finding one that shows the inclusions the least. This was the best I could find in your price range on James Allen. If you went up to SI1 you’d have more better choices but at greater expense.

There are 3 though they are mid $6,000. https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-di...or=I&Cut=TrueHearts&Clarity=SI1&CaratFrom=1.2

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What country are you located in?

Have you discussed the possibility of upgrades over time?

What is the budget for stone and what is the budget for setting?

themerv

Rough_Rock
What country are you located in?

Have you discussed the possibility of upgrades over time?

What is the budget for stone and what is the budget for setting?

I'm in the US (Chicago, IL)
I would say I'm looking to keep things ~$8000 between both the stone and ring (so likely $5-6.5K for the stone, and $1-1.5K for the setting). I haven't really talked about the possibility of upgrading over time just because my girlfriend is pretty sentimental, so I think would want to keep the same stone I propose with, but may be an option.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm in the US (Chicago, IL)
I would say I'm looking to keep things ~$8000 between both the stone and ring (so likely $5-6.5K for the stone, and $1-1.5K for the setting). I haven't really talked about the possibility of upgrading over time just because my girlfriend is pretty sentimental, so I think would want to keep the same stone I propose with, but may be an option.

What style setting does she want? If she wants a simple solitaire in gold (for example), you could do that for less than 1k. Just fyi it would leave you more $ for the diamond itself

themerv

Rough_Rock
What style setting does she want? If she wants a simple solitaire in gold (for example), you could do that for less than 1k. Just fyi it would leave you more $ for the diamond itself

Looking for a simple 14K yellow gold Pave setting, similar to this, and combining with a custom Ring Crown.

themerv

Rough_Rock
Found another stone that I think is pretty promising:

cam1_zoom_001.jpg

Ca: 1.20
Clarity: VS2
Triple Ex
Dimensions: 6.82x6.85x4.2
Table: 56%
Depth 61.5%
Crown: 34.5%
Pavillion: 40.6%

HCA: 0.7

The only problem is it's a "virtual stone" so would have to be purchased prior to sending to the warehouse for analysis and more advanced imaging. I know without ASET or IS pics it's tougher to determine, but do you guys think this could be worth-while to have them order in to get a better look? Can return for full refund if not happy with it.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Given the budget and stats, I would suggest reaching out to ID Jewelry. They will pull stones and do a workup of images for you. Yekutiel can even calculate HCA in his head.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

cam1_zoom_001.jpg

Triple Ex
Depth 61.5%

The only problem is it's a "virtual stone" so would have to be purchased prior to sending to the warehouse for analysis and more advanced imaging. I know without ASET or IS pics it's tougher to determine, but do you guys think this could be worth-while to have them order in to get a better look? Can return for full refund if not happy with it.

I really like this. Also agree with pinto to call IDJ. Make sure to talk to yeukitiel.

themerv

Rough_Rock
I emailed Martin from UsaCertedDiamonds again and got back to me, but still hasn't sent any diamonds along, so may have to move on... I'll definitely check out IDJ, but seems like at least after a quick search they don't have anything on their website that fits my budget but maybe they have some alternative stock?

mwilliamanderson

Brilliant_Rock

cam1_zoom_001.jpg

Triple Ex
Depth 61.5%

That’s a nice find and a VS2!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I emailed Martin from UsaCertedDiamonds again and got back to me, but still hasn't sent any diamonds along, so may have to move on... I'll definitely check out IDJ, but seems like at least after a quick search they don't have anything on their website that fits my budget but maybe they have some alternative stock?
Their website isn't always reflective of all that they have access to. Based on their location, you can tell them what you want and sometimes the diamond is even in the same building on a different floor and they have it run over to them. They then do the work up of IS, H&A images, asset, etc.

themerv

Rough_Rock
Sorry guys,

One other option if you're still up for helping! This one is a little smaller carat wise, and lower clarity but faces up with similar proportions, obviously a beautiful cut, and comes with all the benefits of buying from WhiteFlash!

Ca: 1.14
Triple Ex
Dimensions: 6.71x6.72x4.14
Depth 61.7%
Crown: 35%
Pavillion: 40.8%

HCA: 1.4

hearts-and-arrows-round-diamond-gia-1339049575-diamond-171701.jpg

hearts-and-arrows-round-diamond-gia-1339049575-aset-171700.jpg

hearts-and-arrows-round-diamond-gia-1339049575-idealscope-171703.jpg

This guy is slightly smaller, and lower clarity (though presumably still eye clean), but for a similar price...So now I'm torn between purchasing the last stone to have it analyzed and seeing what the advanced imaging looks like, vs just going with this guy. I'm nervous if I go with the last stone, by the time its all said and done, if I don't love it the WhiteFlash may be gone already.

Any thoughts?

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Whiteflash in a simple solitaire. Or IDJ. Those are my suggestions. Both vendors I have purchased from so I can confidently suggest them.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results