shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this stone with very strong blue fluorescence

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

first123

Rough_Rock
Lorelei (thanks again) sent me the link to this stone awhile back and I keep finding myself coming back to it. I''m sure I''m not the first and I won''t be the last person who is extremely hesitant to buy a stone with a very strong blue fluorescence. That being said what are your thoughts on A) This stone and B) stones with a very strong blue fluorescence?

Here is the stone:

http://www.niceice.com/certcopies2008/ags0009015501/index.htm

Allison D.

Ideal_Rock
It''s pretty rare for fluorescence to have a negative impact on a stone (milky or cloudy appearance), so I wouldn''t personally avoid stones with V/S fluorescence. The two I''ve seen in person myself (.55 ct. and a 1.76 carat) were both stunning.

It appears your vendor has also evaluated it and said it doesn''t detract from the performance of the stone, so I''d say it''s a non-issue.
1.gif

first123

Rough_Rock
Is sunlight the only condition that brings out the blue fluorescence? I have seen some stones with a fluorescence but it was indoors and they were much smaller than the stone in question.

Deelight

Ideal_Rock
Mostly you will only ever see the fluro under a black light or it might show a beautiful powdery blue/lavender hint in the sunlight :).

IMHO both really awesome effects :), the diamond itself looks really nice :).

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been waiting for that stone to find a good home! Strong fluoro is a preference. Some of us think it''s cool, some people don''t care. As long as the vendor verifies that there''s no milky/oily cast, it shouldn''t be a problem. Since it''s an infinity stone, I would bet on it being gorgeous.

You''ll see some color where ever there''s UV light, so mostly outdoors and in some specialty lighting situations.

Gorgeous stone!

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
Yummy. I''ve been eyeballing it hoping someone from PS would purchase so we could see some pics.

first123

Rough_Rock
I don''t know. If it was med blue or even strong blue I''d be a little more comfortable but very strong blue fluorescence has me pretty uneasy.

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Well, they have a 21 day return policy. You could get it and return/exchange it if the fluorescence bothers you. You could also go to a local retailer and see if they''ll show you a SBF next to a no-fluorescence stone in various lighting conditions. It''s a great size, stones like that don''t show up every day.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How would you feel if someone swiped it First? If the thought of that isn't a pleasant one, then maybe consider it, as Merc says, they do have a good return policy, plus Todd from NI has an excellent rep here.

Maybe this will help, I use this example a lot as it does seem to be useful....One of our vendors here has been selling diamonds for over thirty years. He mentions in all that time, out of the very many stones with strong and very strong blue fluorescence he has encountered over this time, only very few have shown any negative effects.

Also if you are worried, if you get the diamond, arrange to take it to an independant appraiser to get an expert opinion on the diamond and the fluorescence.

first123

Rough_Rock
Does anyone know how to get a hold of someone at NI. I have called and emailed with no replies to either.

first123

Rough_Rock
does anyone have pics of their very strong blue fluorescence stones in sunlight?

Cheers

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
Thread 1
Thread 2 There are many many pics if you work all the way through the second thread.

There's also a great short video that Wink did on Fluoro if anyone remembers how to find the videos.

ETA: Found it! I think it's the 3/12 one.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Ditto - it''s rare for it to be a negative. I second giving the vendor a call and asking them to pull the stone and check it out in strong light etc to check the effect of the fluoro. If not mikly or cloudy, it will give the stone a great look in sunlight and will be lovely.
30.gif

Also check the return policy - if you are disappointed when it arrives, can you return or swap the stone? Best to find out now for peace of mind.

agc

Shiny_Rock
I have spoken to Todd in the past about this particular diamond and he assures that there are no negative aspects unless you don''t like a slight lavender hue in direct intense sunlight or under black light conditions. He can be reached by phone but often you need to leave a message and he will get back. He also replies to email promptly. I also spoke to someone who saw that diamond in person and they felt it was stunning. Todd is a great source for info and very willing to help.

first123

Rough_Rock
Thanks AGC. I actually saw your post about it and was wondering why you decided against it. This being an engagement ring it''s a tough call to decide whether or not she would like the flourescence or not. Personally I think I would like it, but I''m not going to be the one wearing it. decisions decisions.

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
I used to have a J color .91 ct RB with "very strong fluorescence." I loved it. I actually sought out one with that much fluor. It was white indoors, bluish-white in the sunlight, and BRIGHT blue under a black light. I wouldn''t hesitate to get another one as long as I knew the color was warm enough for it.

I have seen a D color with strong fluor and it looked super cloudy/milky.

I say, go for it. (and show us pictures!)
36.gif

agc

Shiny_Rock
I just decided to go larger with a 2+ ct H VS2 instead since my wife has several other diamonds in that size range. No other reason for not purchasing that one.

agc

Shiny_Rock
One other thing. If I am not mistaken that diamond was cut by Infinity.

first123

Rough_Rock
Any opinions on their cuts?

glitterazzi

Shiny_Rock
I have a ring with a blue fl. I HARDLY ever notice it... usually only when I''m under athletic fluorescent lights (in a gym or outdoor stadium at night). I get TONS of compliments on my ring and on the blue when others see it... I don''t mind it and the feedback I''ve gotten has all be positive. Any expert who has looked at it has said "good luck finding a man who can top that!" (this one is a family heirloom). I take that as a great compliment on the stone! Here''s a pic... hope it doesn''t come out too big!

IMG_4180.JPG

first123

Rough_Rock
Ok so help me with this visual. Will a VSBF make the stone itself glow (similar to a black light) when in direct sunlight or will it give off a bluish sparkle/shine? Thank you for your patience, I know this topic has been beaten to death in other posts and trust me I have read them, it''s just nice to get fresh opinions.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/21/2008 8:24:40 PM
Author: first123
Any opinions on their cuts?
Infinity cuts a very beautiful diamond. No worries there.

Here are a couple pics of an M color stone with SBF. It is my understanding that in sunlight, it can take on a lavender color, which you can see clearly in the first pic here. But it will still give off different colors of fire sparkle, not just blue.

firefire.jpg

cropfire.jpg

first123

Rough_Rock
Wow great example, thank you Ellen!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Welcome!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TIS a great example El !!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
41.gif

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 7/21/2008 3:11:46 PM
Author: first123
Does anyone know how to get a hold of someone at NI. I have called and emailed with no replies to either.

Hi everybody,

I''ve been away from the office for the past twelve days attending to some other business and while I have been accessible by email I wasn''t able to respond to telephone messages because I "brilliantly" forgot to enable the option on the phone system that would have enabled me to pull my messages while away
40.gif
so I''ve been a little out of touch. Apparently I missed the email from First123 as indicated here on his post, but for the most part I''ve managed to stay on top of it between meetings and such, my schedule is going to be a little chaotic for the next few months as I attend to some details pertaining to Robin''s estate so I hope that everybody can bare with me while I work through all of this (yea, it''s still ongoing from 2005 but we''re in the final stretch, I hope - my friends and suppliers who are really close to me would tell you that they''re surprised I''m sane at this point because I''m having a GREAT time with a few of her family members who have come out of the wood work). I don''t really want to go into this in detail here on PS, but feel that people deserve an explanation for my absence recently and my rather chaotic schedule.

On to the diamond, it''s a beauty! Anybody who knows me will tell you that our selection process is extremely precise and I simply reject anything that I don''t like and would have sent this diamond back to Paul if I didn''t love it. I find strong and very strong blue fluorescence to be a kind of Love / Hate type of effect, people either love it or they hate it and there isn''t any middle ground. I took this diamond for a walk in a variety of lighting scenarios and the fluorescence is visible to some degree in all of them, in direct sunlight and/or strong halogen lighting it definitely picks up a faint blue hue that is visible to anybody who knows what to look for. That said, the diamond does NOT appear to be oily or foggy, just a little blue and if you''re a fan of the "blue white" effect that strong and very strong fluorescence can have upon a diamond, then this is an excellent option for you to consider, but if you''re not a fan of fluorescence then I wouldn''t pursue this option. Does that make sense?

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s a beautiful stone and most of the time the flour won''t even be noticeable. However, with my stones that have flour I personally love the look when I see it. It doesn''t seem like the flour will affect performance given the reivew of the stone from Todd, so it really comes down to whether you would *like* the effect or not.

first123

Rough_Rock
Thank you all so very much. My FF is VERY conservative and I think I''d rather not chance her hating the VSBF. If it was for me I''d already own the stone but obviously it is not. Thanks a million times over for your continued support and patience. I will definitly be sending friends to this forum in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results