shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this Square Radiant?

pricescopenewbie

Shiny_Rock
Hello my fellow PSers! I recently ordered a 1.12 I SI1 square radiant. I honestly is still getting used to H&A cut as this is my first diamond of this cut type. I think this diamond is white under all light conditions, even though it is an I color. It seems to be dark under the table under direct strong light, which kinda bother me. I read from some other thread that there was a similar observation of a H&A round diamond so I guess it is a thing for all H&A?

I am still debating if I want to keep it. Other than the light performance question I mentioned above, the diamond is still small for its carat weight. It is 5.8x5.8 for a 1.12 carat. All diamonds of this kind are cut deep.

What do you think? to keep or to return? I need your help! BTW, PS doesn't allow me to upload videos. Anyone know how to do it?

Thank you thank you!

IMG_4686.JPG

IMG_4690.JPG

li IMG_4691.JPG

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love H&A radiant stones! I say keep but its not my money!

Is this for your ering or just a fun ring?

Inbloom

Shiny_Rock
It's looks beautiful to me! I say keep it too.

AuntKiki

Shiny_Rock
It's so pretty!!!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really like the look of these square radiant h&a stones. They do face up small for their ct weight but I think its beautiful

Yimmers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
As far as radiants go, I prefer the square H&A over crushed ice. If the size bothers you, then I'd look at shapes other than radiants.

vetrik

Shiny_Rock
I think it looks beautiful too! It looks like a very nice size on your finger.

I have a thread around here where I also just recently ordered a square radiant h&a- .91 I SI1, so very similar just smaller at 5.5x5.5. The size is something to think about - they definitely do face up small for the carat size. However, once I thought it over I really want a square stone and I love the cut of this type of stone so much that it makes the trade off worth it to me! I actually just got mine back completed yesterday, and I have to say that these stones seem to just pop once set. It was beautiful loose and in the stone holder, but I’m really mesmerized by it now that it’s set.
87BC0FC7-8780-476B-A672-0794C31554AA.jpeg

pricescopenewbie

Shiny_Rock
Hello All! Thanks a lot for your great advice! I am still thinking to get a bigger old european cut instead of this one, but this stone seems to be growing on me. I have a feeling I might end up keeping her. Vetrik your setting choice is very smart and pretty! It gives good finger coverage and still emphasize on the center stone. It could be one way to go for my stone :)

Well I am so undecisive on this stone. I guess I will have to think about it more but I am so glad you all are helping so much! Thank you again all my dear PSers!

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
I think it looks beautiful too! It looks like a very nice size on your finger.

I have a thread around here where I also just recently ordered a square radiant h&a- .91 I SI1, so very similar just smaller at 5.5x5.5. The size is something to think about - they definitely do face up small for the carat size. However, once I thought it over I really want a square stone and I love the cut of this type of stone so much that it makes the trade off worth it to me! I actually just got mine back completed yesterday, and I have to say that these stones seem to just pop once set. It was beautiful loose and in the stone holder, but I’m really mesmerized by it now that it’s set.
87BC0FC7-8780-476B-A672-0794C31554AA.jpeg

Wow wow.. What is the url of your thread on this awesome find? - Edit-found it! I couldn't recognise this beauty since you have dressed her up! What an amazing setting you have there! Will you be posting more more photos and videos?

Last edited:

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
Hello my fellow PSers! I recently ordered a 1.12 I SI1 square radiant. I honestly is still getting used to H&A cut as this is my first diamond of this cut type. I think this diamond is white under all light conditions, even though it is an I color. It seems to be dark under the table under direct strong light, which kinda bother me. I read from some other thread that there was a similar observation of a H&A round diamond so I guess it is a thing for all H&A?

I am still debating if I want to keep it. Other than the light performance question I mentioned above, the diamond is still small for its carat weight. It is 5.8x5.8 for a 1.12 carat. All diamonds of this kind are cut deep.

What do you think? to keep or to return? I need your help! BTW, PS doesn't allow me to upload videos. Anyone know how to do it?

Thank you thank you!

IMG_4686.JPG

IMG_4690.JPG

li IMG_4691.JPG

Seems like I have been reading quite a few square Radiant H&A thread recently..

@pricescopennewbie, pls post more closeup photos of your wonderful find please..!!

My sic diamond goes dark under the strong light too. I guess this means it is a good thing? If not.. Perhaps U can do an Ideal Scope on the diamond to assess the light performance?

Personally I would keep it since it is a rare cut.

diamondhoarder

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Thank you thank you!

IMG_4686.JPG

IMG_4690.JPG

li IMG_4691.JPG

That is a beautiful stone! And I agree with Vetrik that it looks a lovely size on your hand. I own one of these ideal square radiants and I also notice that mine goes dark under bright sunlight. Other owners of ideal cut rounds have noticed the same thing, I think its just part of the "flavour" of how this type of cut behaves. Ive noticed that when mine hasnt had a very recent clean the darkness is less noticeable. I have to say that its not something that has ever really bothered me. The white light return and beautiful facet pattern more than compensates, but the real draw of this cut for me is the incredible fire it produces. And despite getting a little dirty these radiants still dance and sparkle, so they are a little more low maintenance than some other radiant styles and other fancy cuts.

The steep crown angle, small table and depth of these stones is what contributes to its unique light performance and facet pattern, and as you have noted, the trade-off for this is in the face-up size. Buying any diamond involves making compromises of some sort or another, unless you have an unlimited budget, and even then there are often compromises - light return Vs spread etc. This can be compensated for with the setting design, (eg halos, other side stones etc).

With an extremely well cut diamond you can expect to see edge to edge brilliance and fire, and every fraction of a mm of your stone will be optimised for light performance to pack a maximum punch. This is rare to find in a fancy cut diamond. Ideal cut stones like this can look larger than their face-up size because of how the light return grabs the attention of the viewer. Equally you might find a larger but "quieter" fancy cut stone that lacks the edge to edge sparkle of the ideal radiant and therefore still looks a similar size to your current stone from a distance and under certain lighting conditions.

You may be lucky and find a larger alternative that has everything you are looking for. Is it feasible to see your stone side by side against some alternatives? That may help you decide which characteristics are most important to you.

Being a lover of these stones, I would always say keep it, its beautiful and rare, but you are the only person who can decide on what your priorities for the stone are and whether this one ticks your boxes. If you can "try it out" balanced in some semi-mounts that may help your decision. And being able to compare this in person against other options within your budget and specs should provide a definitive answer.

pricescopenewbie

Shiny_Rock
Hello All! thank you so much! I was wondering if anyone has had a chance to compare this type of cut with an OEC? I wonder if OEC have bright under table with same amount of fire?

Fancygems

Brilliant_Rock
This the best type of radiant! Congrats!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results