carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this ruby?

Worth buying?

• Lovely! Grab it while you can.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Hi all! Soooo I may have found myself a new ring, but it's in need of an 8mm center. I'm scratching my head trying to come up with what I'd wanna put in it.

I happen to find this ruby below. It has a GRS cert that says it's unheated. The listing says it's semi-transparent. I like the color and don't mind silkiness (but wouldn't want a "dull" or "lifeless" stone).

What are y'all's thoughts on this one? What might be a reasonable cost per carat?

My problem is I didn't really give myself a budget. I started with wanting to just pop in a "cheapy" stone for <$500 while I save up for a forever stone. Then I'm like, well, for a bit more $, I can get a "nicer" stone! Now all of the sudden I'm looking into $$$$ gems :D

I'm also not dead set on a ruby. Just thought of getting one since: 1) I don't have any yet, and 2) I have wanted to add a red CS ring to my collection.

Any input is appreciated. Sorry I'm so wishy washy on everything. Anyways, thanks for reading!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210221-231825_eBay~2.jpg
    Screenshot_20210221-231825_eBay~2.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot_20210221-231920_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20210221-231920_eBay.jpg
    238.4 KB · Views: 17
  • Screenshot_20210221-231943_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20210221-231943_eBay.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_20210221-232035_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20210221-232035_eBay.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 31

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Depending on the price, it seems nice.
downsides - for its carat weight, it’s small “face up”.
Not sure how much fluorescence there is with rubies from that origin.
It’s only the Burmese rubies and many from Mozambique that have “glow in the dark almost” vibrancy.
Price - no idea, I’ve seen ones for $10 a carat (eBay) and others for $10,000 a carat!

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
A nice, unheated 8mm ruby will cost you thousands per carat. These were taken last year at a gem show, are unheated, and much smaller than you want. The prices are for trade peeps, not retail.

Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 12.18.07 AM.png

This stone is a no for me. It's expensive and not what I'd choose to spend thousands on. I was able to find it on the seller's site, not eBay. I think if you're ready for a ruby, don't get one to fit a setting. Start with the ruby.

As far as your setting and stone, if you want red, try rubellite or garnet. I know they aren't as coveted as rubies. Otherwise, just get a stone in a color you like that fits!

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Rubellites do look a lot like rubies for less of the cost and less of the worry (about inclusions, flux-treatments, etc). If you like the pinkish rubies, then rubellites are a good choice. I prefer red without pink so I went for spinel.

voce

Ideal_Rock
If the pictures were not doctored for color, that is a fantastic color and size.

As for reasonable price, 2 years ago I was offered a 2-ct silky, semi-transparent ruby of a fantastic color, for $3k. I examined it in person and decided that I need some sparkle, too. It can't all be silk for me. Something close to $1500/ct or slightly higher is what I'd expect, for this stone. I think that it will fluoresce reasonably so it will perform in low light (from what I've been told of rubies from that origin).

If it's no risk return, and the right price, then I might try it in person. I think if you're not sure you could have pure color, no sparkle, a ruby will be too expensive of a purchase to learn that from.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My worry is that it wont look as nice in person. I would want to see pics on hand in natural light

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought a very silky unheated Tanzanian Ruby a few years ago that looked very similar to what you are showing. 3800 for 1.4ct.
pictures almost always looked more opaque and more pink.
it was definitely very silky, could be considered semi transparent and definitely on the red red side.
It smoulderedglowed, though. Not much in seeing the facets, only in some lighting where glow was not apparent.
if it not being high on scintillation ( what some may consider dull/lifeless) is a concern - I would suggest you pass on this. Unless you like their return policy? As considering the return shipping/fees down to learning.
Do you have this stone on hold? I see it’s unavailable.
I did not keep the Ruby I’m mentioning, only because there was fissure issues I didn’t want to trust on the pavilion.

edited to add
The ruby I am taking about (and maybe this Ruby you are talking about, too) was very silky in a way that is very different than my sapphire is very silky. Hard to put into words the difference tho.

Last edited:
@Bron357 @MrsKMB @peacechick @voce @lovedogs @Rfisher

Thank you all for your feedback!

So the full story is, this is a ruby from starruby.in on ebay. I watched this listing lapsed without any offers (orig. listed around $7500). So I emailed them afterwards and they came back with an offer of $5000!

It sounded like a good deal, but I figured I check with PSers first before pulling the trigger.

They have a 30-day return window if I recall correctly. However, since they're based in India and deliveries in general are just a cluster right now, I'm not sure how that would shake out.

To throw a wrench into things, I also got a quote to have the center head changed so that I could fit a smaller stone. It won't be cheaper but it'd be a hecka lot cheaper than buying a 3 ct ruby! :D

And lastly, I've also considered the following options if I were to keep it at 8mm:
- 2ct OEC (lab most likely, but finding a vintage earth-mined one would be ammmmazing)
- earth mined emerald (also $$$$)
- untreated topaz (cuz it's my kid's birthstone)
- purple sapphire (cuz I know I'll love it but it's yet another purple 3-stone in my collection...)

Maybe I should just start a WTB 8mm round stone thread....

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
I seem to recall that there were some weird complications related to mailing gemstones to India, but I could be mistaken there.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ahhh! That’s half the price they have it for on their website! Well, then...might just change my opinion!

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I bought a star ruby from them a couple years ago. I wanted one and their price was reasonable. It's on the lighter side color-wise, but it's what I could afford. It matched their photos and description. I'm happy with it, and it's with Sally now for a pendant.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I bought a star ruby from them a couple years ago. I wanted one and their price was reasonable. It's on the lighter side color-wise, but it's what I could afford. It matched their photos and description. I'm happy with it, and it's with Sally now for a pendant.

Can you linky link to photos here? If you’ve already shared?

Love HoW! that Sally, right?

Oh gosh, Annie from Instagram has a 8.25mm cushion red spinel that's even more gorgeous but also more $ than this one. Gaaaah. I've messaged her to see if she has any other spinels that are smaller/less expensive.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
Could Starruby send you a outdoor video? So we can see if it glows, shimmers or sparkle? The more information you have, the more you will be able to decide.

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
Hrm... how much would it cost to fix the nicks and chips? Would that take away a lot of weight? :think:

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So the star does go in the middle like the seller's photo, and the side like my photo, but as I've explained 1000x, I suck at photography. Just ask my kids. :roll2: I couldn't coordinate my left hand with the stone and right hand with the phone and camera. It's not an "ideal" stone, but it works for me!

Yes, Sally at HoW. She says it "has character." :lol: I'm having her make her Grace pendant. We haven't chosen the smaller top stone yet.

SRA1219-4.50-carat-star-ruby.jpg Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 10.14.49 AM.png

Could Starruby send you a outdoor video? So we can see if it glows, shimmers or sparkle? The more information you have, the more you will be able to decide.

I've messaged them and am waiting to hear back! Hope they'll have more pics and maybe even a video they could share...

Hrm... how much would it cost to fix the nicks and chips? Would that take away a lot of weight? :think:

Ooo is there a vendor who I could send these pics to to see about repolishing, maybe even a recut? I don't mind dropping below 3 ct as long as it's still close to 8mm wide.

So the star does go in the middle like the seller's photo, and the side like my photo, but as I've explained 1000x, I suck at photography. Just ask my kids. :roll2: I couldn't coordinate my left hand with the stone and right hand with the phone and camera. It's not an "ideal" stone, but it works for me!

Yes, Sally at HoW. She says it "has character." :lol: I'm having her make her Grace pendant. We haven't chosen the smaller top stone yet.

SRA1219-4.50-carat-star-ruby.jpg Screen Shot 2021-02-22 at 10.14.49 AM.png

It looks great though! And I love Sally. Happy to hear you're doing this project with her.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooo is there a vendor who I could send these pics to to see about repolishing, maybe even a recut? I don't mind dropping below 3 ct as long as it's still close to 8mm wide.

I would ask Dan Stair. He's done multiple recuts for me and he's great.

EDIT. I would wait for outdoor or natural light videos before asking Dan, because I'm still not sure this stone is going to be good in normal lighting.

voce

Ideal_Rock
I seem to recall that there were some weird complications related to mailing gemstones to India, but I could be mistaken there.

There's weird complications mailing gems to Sri Lanka. It's illegal to mail gems into there since it's such a gem-export country and wants to establish its own origin. Totally different country from India today, though they were part of the same empire/regime 100 years ago.

voce

Ideal_Rock
@AnastasiaBeaverhausen @lovedogs just a FYI, I asked Dan Stair about recutting some of my gems, and he plans for the most part to put off recuts for a while until later, like May, since he has so much of his own rough to get through at the moment.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would ask Dan Stair. He's done multiple recuts for me and he's great.

EDIT. I would wait for outdoor or natural light videos before asking Dan, because I'm still not sure this stone is going to be good in normal lighting.
@AnastasiaBeaverhausen @lovedogs just a FYI, I asked Dan Stair about recutting some of my gems, and he plans for the most part to put off recuts for a while until later, like May, since he has so much of his own rough to get through at the moment.
ooo good to know, thanks!

You can try Jerry Newman, who I've heard great things about on PS.

Thanks all for the suggestions! I think I'll send Jerry an email with what I have so far just to see if it's worth pursuing.

Lani

Rough_Rock
I've definitely been down that rabbit hole of increasing budget :lol: The colored gemstone idea is great! I personally would start off with a garnet unless the cost for the ruby is a steal and/or if there is a trial period to see it in person.

I've definitely been down that rabbit hole of increasing budget :lol: The colored gemstone idea is great! I personally would start off with a garnet unless the cost for the ruby is a steal and/or if there is a trial period to see it in person.

Fortunately I will have a 30-day return period. It's the international return shipping that worries me. But I guess if it's thru ebay and something happens to the package, I'd be covered right?

MjK1

Shiny_Rock
As someone here mentioned, it is cut deep for the face up size. Will it fit your setting? If you love it, buy it, though to me it is a lot of money for no sparkle. I love rubies, but can never afford rubies that I love, so, if it were me I would either choose a different stone maybe a pink sapphire? If I had to have ruby, I would rather have a beautiful lab ruby than a cloudy or fractured one. Also, be careful of fracture filled, those are junk.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Colour looks pretty good if you're happy with the price.

Just wanted to add that I've dealt with these vendors before and found the stones to be very true to color. Just ask for natural light videos.

This is my very loved "wonky" spinel bought from this vendor. The pictures do not do the stone justice but the cut is very choppy!

PXL_20200926_032821665.PORTRAIT-01.COVER.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results