shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this Jedi spinel?

voce

Ideal_Rock
@voce does placing it EW help to reduce the shadow? How does it look under the sun?

Yes it does. I'll have to wait another day before taking more photos.

FL_Sol

Shiny_Rock
Yes it does. I'll have to wait another day before taking more photos.

Is this the .73 from their IG page?
I have a gem coming from Stellas and I am trying to determine how different mine *may* look compared to the photo. I am a little worried.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Is this the .73 from their IG page?
I have a gem coming from Stellas and I am trying to determine how different mine *may* look compared to the photo. I am a little worried.

What gem is on its way to you?

Yes, the stone I got is the .73 ct spinel. I no longer think this is a Jedi spinel, because I don't think Jedi are supposed to black out in direct sunlight. This spinel is strange in that it performs well in low light, but blacks if in direct sunlight. It looks best in diffused daylight.

@Rad_Fan here you go...I wouldn't call it Jedi because it looks like this in direct sun:
IMG_20200704_115432.jpg IMG_20200704_115437.jpg
Vs the picture below in the shade.
IMG_20200704_115505.jpg

DauphineMucha

Shiny_Rock

Yes, the stone I got is the .73 ct spinel. I no longer think this is a Jedi spinel, because I don't think Jedi are supposed to black out in direct sunlight. This spinel is strange in that it performs well in low light, but blacks if in direct sunlight. It looks best in diffused daylight.

@Rad_Fan here you go...I wouldn't call it Jedi because it looks like this in direct sun:
IMG_20200704_115505.jpg

Sigh...! Looked so promising from Etsy. I am now wondering what kind of special light seller used on hers.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I'm sad it isn't nearly as bright as the description on StellaM.
It wasn't described as a jedi, just a 'vibrant' Burmese red. The videos and pictures certainly looked more saturated and even toned than what you received.
It definitely is more of a rose red with it's extinction and purple modifier.

Has it ever looked the shade of red they showed in the listing?

voce

Ideal_Rock
I'm sad it isn't nearly as bright as the description on StellaM.
It wasn't described as a jedi, just a 'vibrant' Burmese red. The videos and pictures certainly looked more saturated and even toned than what you received.
It definitely is more of a rose red with it's extinction and purple modifier.

Has it ever looked the shade of red they showed in the listing?

I can't see the listing anymore as they cancelled the listing and had me send money over PayPal.

I've paid more for a worse spinel (previous purchase from Pristine Gemstones). So, considering what I paid, I'm content enough. Just, it's not the stone I imagined from the Etsy pics that would make my heart go pitter-patter.

I don't think it's much of a purple modifier, if any. The accurate color is something like this. It does appear a pure vivid red to my eyes, even though there is that pesky mask that darkens the stone in direct sunlight.

IMG_20200705_173308.jpg

voce

Ideal_Rock
IMG_20200705_173748.jpg
I think this view on my laptop is similar to the seller's pictures?

FL_Sol

Shiny_Rock

IMG_20200704_115505.jpg

I am getting the 1.21 orangish pink Vietnamese Spinel. I am a little worried now. Mine isn't supposed to be a "Jedi" but it looked bright and cheery in photos and videos. I really don't want another dark stone.

Can a slight change in facet angles change this? Could it be saved?

Last edited:

voce

Ideal_Rock
I am getting the 1.21 orangish pink Vietnamese Spinel. I am a little worried now.

Can a slight change in facet angles change this? Could it be saved?

I would not assume so. It was cut by Dan Stair, so I would think that the stone has already been optimized by cutting.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
IMG_20200705_173748.jpg
I think this view on my laptop is similar to the seller's pictures?

It's a very, very, pretty little red spinel. And the price is still a good one.
Maybe the masking effect was turning purple on my screen because I don't see it now. The new pics do look closer, but the StellaM listing showcased a brightness/vividness that isn't there. It's unfair to the stone...as they certainly oversold a perfectly good red that's beautiful on it's own merit- but not an almost neon. It's hard to not feel a little disappointed. Maybe a simple cup or closed back set would solve the light return issues. I hope it grows on you.

deorwine

Shiny_Rock
Hmm, @voce, what does your cushion Jedi do in direct sunlight?

It looks nice, but your pics (even the ones in "good" lighting) don't yell "Jedi" to me... but on the other hand it does look the same hue as your cushion Jedi in some of those pictures, so it is probably also my monitor.

I'm trying to remember what the red Mahenge I sold to you did in direct sunlight -- I think it may have changed hue a bit but I don't remember it blacking out at all.

voce

Ideal_Rock
Hmm, @voce, what does your cushion Jedi do in direct sunlight?

It looks nice, but your pics (even the ones in "good" lighting) don't yell "Jedi" to me... but on the other hand it does look the same hue as your cushion Jedi in some of those pictures, so it is probably also my monitor.

I'm trying to remember what the red Mahenge I sold to you did in direct sunlight -- I think it may have changed hue a bit but I don't remember it blacking out at all.

I don't recall the red Mahenge spinel you sold me blacking out, either, but I can't verify since I've sent it to Yvonne already to set. ;))

As for my cushion, I don't think it blacks out. Too late to get it out of the same again, but this picture is in direct rays of sunlight through a window (rightmost ring).

IMG_20200606_102747.jpg
The top ring on the middle finger is a non-Jedi Burmese spinel, and the other three are rubies. I would say these are my top 5 red color rings, though the non-Jedi verges on reddish pink, and two of the rubies look pinkish under the sun but redder under LED and incandescent.

woweezowee

Shiny_Rock
Premium
Voce, who made the ring on the bottom of your middle finger? I love the design!

voce

Ideal_Rock
Voce, who made the ring on the bottom of your middle finger? I love the design!

Enhoerning Jewelry made the bespoke design, but the design is mine! It's simple and clean from the top view, more intricate in the gallery view. I don't want to show anyone the gallery view anywhere on PS because I don't want to inspire copycats.

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
Hi @voce sorry I have been MIA as I have had some family stuff going on. I am sorry it hasn’t lived up to expectations but you have some seriously tough bling to compare it to :) I have to pass as I purchased my Jedi and don’t have the budget for more.

Speaking of which I need to get my hands on some spinel melee I think you mentioned Yvonne so I will reach out to her

Would love to get some Jedi melee to match my stone as closely as possible.

Last edited:

Pennyc

Brilliant_Rock
here are 2-3 chips along the girdle and an off centered culet, causing a noticeable tilt window when viewing straight from above in certain orientations. The tilt window, of course, wasn't visible in any of the vendor pictures or videos. Due to the strict return policy I had asked very specific questions to make sure all bases were covered, but these things were never mentioned.

I contacted a couple of gem cutters in the US about recutting, which will cost me carat weight. Dana at Mastercut Gems was shocked about the undisclosed chips because they will be problematic in a ring. He was so nice and helpful.

All being said, it's a beautiful red spinel. I just need to figure out what to do with it =)

Btw, I have corresponded with thegemcollector several times, and she has always been very responsive and informative on her items. I believe she has a return policy but better confirm with her. She has many beautiful items and I plan on buying from her in the near future =)2

@SparklePolo and @lovedogs I thought I would ask this here rather than start a thread. I am looking at purchasing from hi gems as they have a stone I love. I think lovedogs you were happy with your purchases and sparklepolo you had some issues with yours.

Has anyone else had recent experience with them? He has been very helpful. I do have to pay via wire or bank transfer which is a little nerve wracking as I haven't done so before but it may be completely usual

bright&shiny

Brilliant_Rock

crab

Rough_Rock
Trade
I read most of the commons, I want to share my experience with Jedi:

I’m a Jedi and spinel collector, jedi is popular in China and Asia, but not in other countries, I visited many shops at Hatton garden London, not much people really know it.

1) Jedi’s high price is not because of marketing, it’s because they’re really rare, much more rare than Bernese ruby and it’s really beautiful by eyes, 90% are produced in Mansin and namiya mine, one more is Mogok, but not famous and very limited, Namiya’s Jedi are considered the best, and it’s the very first mine that produce Jedi, but it’s nearly run out, now mainly from Mansin (also famous for its red spinel called Mansin red, so their Jedi are more red than Namyas which are more pink)

2) the labs that I know that give trading name “Jedi” is only GUILD, the best quality ones will show which Burmese mines and will write” vibrant brilliance or exceptional jedi, see below picture
7DB25CEB-78A6-4E98-8CC3-F07E66ABF9B7.jpeg 4329FDA3-AB35-4032-8CC9-995940B1E5C3.jpeg
Other labs only show colour pinkish red or reddish pink, but actually Jedi must contain orange, pink and red 3 colours with strong neon effects, but without much inclusions or cracks

3) many sellers sell “jedi colour” spinel that’s not jedi! The price maybe big difference, if you compare the normal good colour spinel and jedi spinel in front of your eyes, you can see the difference

6821DE28-7B1F-43A2-B102-6F734C9004E1.jpeg
ABAC0623-96D5-463D-BB56-E826CDB12756.jpeg 0B5FEBF4-4EA1-407F-B236-E309B21AFA6A.jpeg

Attachments

• 51537DA3-4118-4190-B43F-623139695DD6.jpeg
    51537DA3-4118-4190-B43F-623139695DD6.jpeg
    33.1 KB · Views: 2
  • 67559224-1276-4D6C-A77F-C7AE62724CB9.jpeg
    67559224-1276-4D6C-A77F-C7AE62724CB9.jpeg
    33.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 8DA16851-82C5-40BE-9CD1-1131456FC576.jpeg
    8DA16851-82C5-40BE-9CD1-1131456FC576.jpeg
    60.6 KB · Views: 3
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results