shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this Jedi spinel?

GossamerAngel

Shiny_Rock
I’m shifting gears and in the market for a killer Jedi (heh). What are y’all’s thoughts on this 3.15? What should I look for in a Jedi spinel aside from the cert stating the color class? Sorry for the pics - they’re screenshot stills from videos sent to me by the vendor. The vendor is someone known and recommended by PS so I’m not concerned there 094ECDEE-7E0B-4ADD-AD3D-237404090F4B.jpeg B572EC17-4C12-4589-8008-B342D1F173E2.jpeg B17DFFDA-F2A8-4E83-BFD3-296A0438666C.jpeg F4632136-EDED-476C-81C5-9B9D92D85DE9.jpeg 7EA026F9-1631-412A-B5E3-F427BAF59D48.jpeg 39B13423-FE4F-4748-9FE0-FC6DEC4A871B.jpeg 564EF6A6-76B2-4273-B1B2-9012E8CEA168.jpeg

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't know much about them, but I think this color is gorgeous!!! Good luck!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fantastic

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful, but honestly too much purple to be a true jedi. This is a true jedi- they look lit from the inside like a lightsaber.
That being said, the one you're considering is a great neon spinel and if well priced I would love to have one just like it someday. I would buy it in a heartbeat if I could.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That’s huge for a Jedi!
(To I, a mere mortal)
Beautiful color.
Are they really classified like that via most labs? Like itsManelyyou said it may not be top top color, but as long as it’s priced accordingly to what you can else find available.....

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful, but honestly too much purple to be a true jedi. This is a true jedi- they look lit from the inside like a lightsaber.
That being said, the one you're considering is a great neon spinel and if well priced I would love to have one just like it someday. I would buy it in a heartbeat if I could.

This picture is showing the fluorescence, with a black light shining on it. The stone the OP is considering will likely look like that too, under a black light, as it’s noted in the report that it has “exceptional strong red” fluorescence. It’ll probably look pretty good in the sun, too. ;-)
It looks like a nice vibrant pink spinel, as it’s described.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
True.
It's a beautiful spinel in it's own right, maybe not to the glow extent of the specimen I showed, but that comes down more to cut.
I just mentioned it because it seems like *every*(I exaggerate) neon spinel is 'jedi' now and they're charging huge premiums for it. I'm not telling her not to get the stone(I wish I could:bigsmile:) just to get the best value/fair price for it.

Last edited:

SparklePolo

Rough_Rock
This is a gorgeous (and BIG) hot pink spinel :kiss2: If you love the color and the vendor has a return policy, why not see it for yourself =)2

Jedi tends to have a mixture of colors, ranging from orange, red and pink. The most expensive ones I've seen are neon red & pink with neon orange hints.

The Jedi material costs about $9,000 at 1.5ct, so there's a huge difference in price. Many vendors use black light to get the fluorescence pop in hot pink or hot red spinels, calling them "Jedi." It's not at all what they look like in real life though.

pwsg07

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
There is no complain for this colour. I hardly see spinel with this colour in real life. How about the clarity? How does it look under warm lighting? Like many pink spinels, it probably has some tint of orange in real life

GossamerAngel

Shiny_Rock

This stone actually has strong fluorescence under a UV pinlight- like the stone you referenced! It’s just more on the violet/fuchsia end of the color range and not as red-pink. I think that’s why I’m seeing opinions. It’s got amazing clarity for its size which is rarer than I’ve seen in the more red-pink Jedi stones.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This stone actually has strong fluorescence under a UV pinlight- like the stone you referenced! It’s just more on the violet/fuchsia end of the color range and not as red-pink. I think that’s why I’m seeing opinions. It’s got amazing clarity for its size which is rarer than I’ve seen in the more red-pink Jedi stones.

Oh yeah, the red/pink jedi stones are almost never clean like this. It's a lovely stone

GossamerAngel

Shiny_Rock
This is a gorgeous (and BIG) hot pink spinel :kiss2: If you love the color and the vendor has a return policy, why not see it for yourself =)2

Jedi tends to have a mixture of colors, ranging from orange, red and pink. The most expensive ones I've seen are neon red & pink with neon orange hints.

The Jedi material costs about $9,000 at 1.5ct, so there's a huge difference in price. Many vendors use black light to get the fluorescence pop in hot pink or hot red spinels, calling them "Jedi." It's not at all what they look like in real life though.

I agree that this is a really hot pink spinel from the pics. The cert mentions that it has strong red fluorescence which lends itself to the trade term “Jedi.” Does that mean, ipso facto, that this is a Jedi spinel? I assumed yes... but maybe not necessarily?

C0F13571-AF8B-413B-9825-CEB12CA80D03.jpeg

SparklePolo

Rough_Rock
I agree that this is a really hot pink spinel from the pics. The cert mentions that it has strong red fluorescence which lends itself to the trade term “Jedi.” Does that mean, ipso facto, that this is a Jedi spinel? I assumed yes... but maybe not necessarily?

C0F13571-AF8B-413B-9825-CEB12CA80D03.jpeg

The term Jedi isn't used among reputable labs like AGL, GIA or GRS. I'm not familiar with Guild, but lately I have seen vendors showing reports by this lab stating "Jedi" on obvious red or pink spinels (non-Jedi). Does the report state the origin of the spinel (Jedi is mined in Namya and Mansin)?

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Oh, she is a rare beauty, of that there is no doubt. It's just there has been a push to charge exorbitant amounts for stones that already rightly carry a premium. It doesn't mean the stone isn't fantabulous- because it is.
It's marketing.
I just didn't know if you were already aware of this so I thought I'd mention it, just in case. It's always good to be informed.

GossamerAngel

Shiny_Rock
The term Jedi isn't used among reputable labs like AGL, GIA or GRS. I'm not familiar with Guild, but lately I have seen vendors showing reports by this lab stating "Jedi" on obvious red or pink spinels (non-Jedi). Does the report state the origin of the spinel (Jedi is mined in Namya and Mansin)?

the lab report just says “Burma” - but that’s a good call out. I will ask the question.

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
True.
It's a beautiful spinel in it's own right, maybe not to the glow extent of the specimen I showed, but that comes down more to cut.
I just mentioned it because it seems like *every*(I exaggerate) neon spinel is 'jedi' now and they're charging huge premiums for it. I'm not telling her not to get the stone(I wish I could:bigsmile:) just to get the best value/fair price for it.

The stone you posted will not look like that without a UV torch...no stone does

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
The stone you posted will not look like that without a UV torch...no stone does

I know, I should've been more specific about the explanation omitting the use of UV. I was trying to show the vivid red color. There is no stone on earth that emits it's own light. I thought that was self explanatory. I apologize for the exclusion.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@GossamerAngel, I would absolutely see this one in person! With a UV light on it, I imagine it would absolutely rival the one the PSer posted so is not a fair comparison at all.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
@GossamerAngel, I would absolutely see this one in person! With a UV light on it, I imagine it would absolutely rival the one the PSer posted so is not a fair comparison at all.

Why am I being attacked for having an opinion about the nuances of color in a neon spinel?
I'm not disparaging her stone choice, it's insanely beautiful, I'm actually trying to help her by providing an opinion she asked for about jedi's in particular. I thought that was clear if you read the whole thread.
* There are many beautiful neon spinels, there are almost *no* real jedi- yet these neon spinels are being priced as if they are. The same thing happened with the 'mahenge' and 'mansin' not too long ago. Many people overpaid for stones because of it. I was trying to make her aware of this because she said she didn't follow colored stones.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Why am I being attacked for having an opinion about the nuances of color in a neon spinel?
I'm not disparaging her stone choice, it's insanely beautiful, I'm actually trying to help her by providing an opinion she asked for about jedi's in particular. I thought that was clear if you read the whole thread.
* There are many beautiful neon spinels, there are almost *no* real jedi- yet these neon spinels are being priced as if they are. The same thing happened with the 'mahenge' and 'mansin' not too long ago. Many people overpaid for stones because of it. I was trying to make her aware of this because she said she didn't follow colored stones.

I dont think anyone is attacking you. They are just pointing out that comparing a stone that's in UV light vs one that isn't is not an apple's to apple's comparison.

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it’s a gorgeous stone in a hard to find size with nice clarity. Does this color speak to you? I like the touch of purple, but some want a true red / pink.

I have a lot of confusion around Jedi spinels. Is there a trade definition for Jedi spinel? Must it have a report stating it is from Namya or Mansin? What labs are acceptable for this type of report?

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I dont think anyone is attacking you. They are just pointing out that comparing a stone that's in UV light vs one that isn't is not an apple's to apple's comparison.

Fair enough, I am realizing I am obviously feeling oversensitive today.
I couldn't find the right red for my vision of jedi red color and that was the closest approximation on short notice. I tried to acknowledge the omission of UV caveat. It wasn't clear enough.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it’s a gorgeous stone in a hard to find size with nice clarity. Does this color speak to you? I like the touch of purple, but some want a true red / pink.

I have a lot of confusion around Jedi spinels. Is there a trade definition for Jedi spinel? Must it have a report stating it is from Namya or Mansin? What labs are acceptable for this type of report?

The issue is that there is not one clear definition for it. Most people think that true "jedi" come from Mansin. But I've never seen the word jedi on a reputable lab report. But if someone were charging a super high premium due to calling it "jedi " I'd want a report that included location (I think GRS does it and some gia ones do too)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would consider this a nice example of jedi or close to it.

And this has a GRS report with location and is amazing, but more pink than red. But super neon.

This one reminds me of the one OP posted. Red/pink but with hints of purplish

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
jedi.jpg
Better examples than the one I showed first. No UV.
The differences between this and yours are very very slight.
Those infinitesimal differences can have large monetary differences.
The only spinels comparable in expense that I know of are true bright cobalts.

* I also apologize for mucking up your thread, I'm sorry, truly- I didn't mean to. Pandemic blues got me weird.
Your spinel is beautiful and I can't wait to see it in hand.

Last edited:

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
jedi.jpg
Better examples than the one I showed first. No UV.
The differences between this and yours are very very slight.
Those infinitesimal differences can have large monetary differences.
The only spinels comparable in expense that I know of are true bright cobalts.

* I also apologize for mucking up your thread, I'm sorry, truly- I didn't mean to. Pandemic blues got me weird.
Your spinel is beautiful and I can't wait to see it in hand.

I know these two spinels look astonishingly beautiful but I don’t think the picture is a fair representation of their true color, unless a very specific light setting is arranged. I think this picture is adjusted for higher saturation and contrast. I have rubies and spinels that can look neon in some light (outdoor shaded daylight around sunset for example) but most of the time they look “normal”, i.e pretty colored stones.

I totally agree with you that too many stones are given fancy names reserved to only the very best, which can result in overcharging. I sadly know a thing or two about that :)

But even the very best stones are still just stones, not magical light sabers my point is that there is a limit to how much glow a stone can emit and it entirely depends on the (type of) light it is subject to.

I’m just rambling...

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I know these two spinels look astonishingly beautiful but I don’t think the picture is a fair representation of their true color, unless a very specific light setting is arranged. I think this picture is adjusted for higher saturation and contrast. I have rubies and spinels that can look neon in some light (outdoor shaded daylight around sunset for example) but most of the time they look “normal”, i.e pretty colored stones.

I totally agree with you that too many stones are given fancy names reserved to only the very best, which can result in overcharging. I sadly know a thing or two about that :)

But even the very best stones are still just stones, not magical light sabers my point is that there is a limit to how much glow a stone can emit and it entirely depends on the (type of) light it is subject to.

I’m just rambling...

I completely agree.
My only issue is the added price premiums and the many people are paying them to the tune of thousands, sometimes unwittingly. I feel like there isn't any other place I know of other than PS that ever talks about these nuances or questions what passes as.

*I actually got this one from the GIA education site. This is their 'jedi' example.* These pictures are supposed to be natural light only to show how ridiculously pronounced their UV reactiveness is.
All subjective, of course.

All flourescence is a product of UV exposure. Jedi under even minimum UV is supposed to be unparalleled. That's where the red-red lightsaber designation comes in. That's what you're supposed to be paying the crazy prices for.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m not familiar with this lab. I would prefer AGL or GIA.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results