shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this Cushion

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nycm3656

Rough_Rock
I posted before but I now have all of the details, what are your thoughts on this diamond?

Cushion Cut
Measurements: 8.77 x 7.33 x 4.83
Carat: 2.13
Color: F
Clarity: VS2
Depth: 65.9%
Table: 59%
Girdle: Thin to Thick, Faceted
Culet: Small
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Good
Fluorescence: Med Blue
Comments: pinpoints are not shown

Thoughts!?

cush213.jpg

nycm3656

Rough_Rock
Sarin report page 1/2

sarinpage11.jpg

nycm3656

Rough_Rock
Sarin report page 2/2

sarinpage22.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it''s kinda pretty but you don''t have any performance information...

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/2/2009 10:09:37 AM
Author: Cehrabehra
I think it''s kinda pretty but you don''t have any performance information...
Ditto cehra, do you have other images such as ASET?

nycm3656

Rough_Rock
Going to see the diamond again today. Jeweler emailed me this am and said he is trying to get a ASET test done on it. He said he is trying to find a lab for the ASET test, can anyone recommend one for me to give to him? My deadline is quickly coming, need to have the diamond and setting picked by tomorrow, not sure how long the ASET takes.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/2/2009 10:27:21 AM
Author: nycm3656
Going to see the diamond again today. Jeweler emailed me this am and said he is trying to get a ASET test done on it. He said he is trying to find a lab for the ASET test, can anyone recommend one for me to give to him? My deadline is quickly coming, need to have the diamond and setting picked by tomorrow, not sure how long the ASET takes.
You need to pick by tomorrow??? You could send this stone to an Appraisor, David Wolf is well respected in New York and really thorough http://www.justappraisers.com/ , ask him if he can take an ASET image (relatively certain he can) but if you reject this stone will you even have time to look for another?

I wouldn''t wait for the appraisal I would also speak to Mark at ERD at www.engagementringsdirect.com and give him your specs and have him search for alternatives for you.

This comes down to time, your level of scrutiny, your budget and yours and your future Fiance''s preferences, the critique you will get here will by quite critical we have VERY PICKY consumers here, but most people buy a diamond they think is pretty and don''t go much further. Ignorance is bliss sometimes especially if you have 24 hours to find one. Finding a great cushion can sometimes take quite a while.

nycm3656

Rough_Rock
ASET test coming back today, in about 20 min! Will share it with everyone.

nycm3656

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/2/2009 11:46:34 AM
Author: ChunkyCushionLover
Date: 11/2/2009 10:27:21 AM

You need to pick by tomorrow??? You could send this stone to an Appraisor, David Wolf is well respected in New York and really thorough http://www.justappraisers.com/ , ask him if he can take an ASET image (relatively certain he can) but if you reject this stone will you even have time to look for another?

I wouldn''t wait for the appraisal I would also speak to Mark at ERD at www.engagementringsdirect.com and give him your specs and have him search for alternatives for you.

This comes down to time, your level of scrutiny, your budget and yours and your future Fiance''s preferences, the critique you will get here will by quite critical we have VERY PICKY consumers here, but most people buy a diamond they think is pretty and don''t go much further. Ignorance is bliss sometimes especially if you have 24 hours to find one. Finding a great cushion can sometimes take quite a while.

Just heard from the Jeweler and he said that he just returned from the lab. He said that it was interesting that the lab told him that the unit does not do well with fancy shapes, yet the print came out excellent!! He is emailing me in a few min with the image. He said it is 89% brilliant, which for a fancy shape is spectacular!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/2/2009 12:41:57 PM

Just heard from the Jeweler and he said that he just returned from the lab. He said that it was interesting that the lab told him that the unit does not do well with fancy shapes, yet the print came out excellent!! He is emailing me in a few min with the image. He said it is 89% brilliant, which for a fancy shape is spectacular!
Well done! Post it when you get it then we can go from there.

nycm3656

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/2/2009 12:57:18 PM
Author: Lorelei

Here is a scan of the ASET that the Jeweler just sent for the diamond that has been discussed in this thread. Now can you give me your thoughts on this diamond? Is it a keeper?

asetscan.jpg

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/2/2009 1:23:44 PM

Here is a scan of the ASET that the Jeweler just sent for the diamond that has been discussed in this thread. Now can you give me your thoughts on this diamond? Is it a keeper?
You should take a look at the color images that we use to judge ASET results http://www.ideal-scope.com/1.using_reference_chart_ASET.asp. A black and white scan or photograph of an ASET is not particularly helpful as we must clearly see the colors.

Even if we could judge the ASET we usually judge images where the customer has not seen the stone, your In real life viewing trumps what we see here.
Have you seen many other antique cushions? If this one spoke to you I don't see how our judgement will help you except if people give you reassurances which would be based on less information than you have.

Is this a pretty looking cushions? Yes
Are there superior performing 8 main antique cushions out there? Yes but they may be difficult to find especially F color and 2 Ct+ and you may have to wait and they may cost more.
Is it worth shopping more, or looking at other stones? Depends on your time, your 4 C Preferences, Your budget and how carefully you want to scrutinize cushion cut diamonds.

I am just a hobbyist with a particular interest in cushions, my standards and pickyness are extremely high and subjective, tradesmembers here cannot comment on other vendors stones in a subjective manner only consumers like myself may do that.

Regards,
CCL

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
nyc, that isn't an ASET image....What did the jeweller tell you they used to measure brilliance with?

nycm3656

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/2/2009 3:16:46 PM
nyc, that isn''t an ASET image....What did the jeweller tell you they used to measure brilliance with?

Here is a color version of the ASET. He scanned it for me. What is your opinion of this scan?

coloraset.jpg

nycm3656

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/2/2009 3:15:18 PM

You should take a look at the color images that we use to judge ASET results http://www.ideal-scope.com/1.using_reference_chart_ASET.asp. A black and white scan or photograph of an ASET is not particularly helpful as we must clearly see the colors.

Even if we could judge the ASET we usually judge images where the customer has not seen the stone, your In real life viewing trumps what we see here.

Have you seen many other antique cushions? If this one spoke to you I don''t see how our judgement will help you except if people give you reassurances which would be based on less information than you have.

Are there superior performing 8 main antique cushions out there? Yes but they may be difficult to find especially F color and 2 Ct+ and you may have to wait and they may cost more.

Is it worth shopping more, or looking at other stones? Depends on your time, your 4 C Preferences, Your budget and how carefully you want to scrutinize cushion cut diamonds.

I am just a hobbyist with a particular interest in cushions, my standards and pickyness are extremely high and subjective, tradesmembers here cannot comment on other vendors stones in a subjective manner only consumers like myself may do that.

Regards,

CCL

Thanks so much for your response CCL. As a novice buyer who is trying to educate themselves, I am hoping to get some feedback about this stone that acts more as a reassurance. Reassurance that the med blue floro isn''t something to worry about. Reassurance that I am buying a quailty stone. Reassuance of value based on the specs. I have seen many, many stones over the past month and this one was very, very pretty. There is just so much to think about, ASET, Sarin and all the other things that I feel like I now know too much now :)

At the end of the day I was hoping to hear from the readers on this page and get your opinion of this stone. Not having anyone accompany me to the store, it is the reassurance factor from a beauty standpoint and value position that I am seeking. I''ve learned so much and am so happy to have stumbled on this forum. I do not plan on making a purchase like this again in my life and I hope that I can educate myself as much as possible to find the best quality stone in my price range.

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/2/2009 3:34:46 PM

Date: 11/2/2009 3:15:18 PM

Have you seen many other antique cushions? If this one spoke to you I don't see how our judgement will help you except if people give you reassurances which would be based on less information than you have.

Regards,

CCL

Thanks so much for your response CCL. As a novice buyer who is trying to educate themselves, I am hoping to get some feedback about this stone that acts more as a reassurance. Reassurance that the med blue floro isn't something to worry about. Reassurance that I am buying a quailty stone. Reassuance of value based on the specs. I have seen many, many stones over the past month and this one was very, very pretty. There is just so much to think about, ASET, Sarin and all the other things that I feel like I now know too much now :)

At the end of the day I was hoping to hear from the readers on this page and get your opinion of this stone. Not having anyone accompany me to the store, it is the reassurance factor from a beauty standpoint and value position that I am seeking. I've learned so much and am so happy to have stumbled on this forum. I do not plan on making a purchase like this again in my life and I hope that I can educate myself as much as possible to find the best quality stone in my price range.

This image does not look like an ASET and your comments about a scan don't fit with it being an ASET.
http://www.ideal-scope.com/1.using_ASET_scope.asp is what one looks like and what its used for.

You can buy a handheld ASET kit from here http://www.ideal-scope.com/cart_zoom_item.asp?Id=21&ShowAdd=Y and view diamonds wherever you go :).

You haven't told us the price so we can't comment on its value either.

If you can take your time and won't be making a hasty decision than I would go and visit Goodoldgold on long island (call Jon first and tell him your preferences and see what he can call in for you).
I also would speak to Mark at engagementringsdirect.com in Manhatten and have him try to find some contendors for you.

Once you look at the best they have been able to find for you, you will be in a better position to judge how beautiful this stone is as compared to its peers.
Also both vendors are capable of taking proper ASET images and Goodoldgold can give you a comparison video with other stones.
Attached below is a guide for cushion cuts with some video examples it will also help you know what kind of cushions are out there.

I think if you are willing to put a little more time and effort into this buying decision you will be able to assure yourself of making the best choice possible. You will be spending 20k+ on this ring I'd really want to make sure that I was happy with the stone.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

ChunkyCushionLover's Guide To Buying Cushion Cut Diamonds

Step 1 (Choose The Type of Cut)

Decide the look of cushion you like best. (Watching the videos should help you the most with this.)

i) Cushion Modified Brilliant (often referred to negatively as the "crushed ice" variety as many in this category have only small flashes and were cut to save weght not to optimize light return),
a) 4 Pavillion main facets (several varieties)
b) 8 mains (several varieties) http://www.vimeo.com/3164922 Pictures and commentary here https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-shocking-final-diamond-choice-i-gave-to-my-fiance-which-one-would-you-pick.121154/
c) Square Brilliant (rare seen more in Belgium)

ii) Cushion Brilliant
a) 4 main like this one http://www.octonus.com/oct/projects/foxymovies/round_cushion2_office_fr.phtml or http://www.vimeo.com/2120607 (4 main is on the far left)
b) 8 main modern http://www.vimeo.com/2120607 (stone on the left)
c) 8 main antique or old mine brilliant http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g708wEVYmJ4
d) 8 main old mine cut http://www.vimeo.com/5310842

iii) Square Cushion Hearts and Arrows http://www.vimeo.com/2120109
iv) Cushette http://www.vimeo.com/3164922

A helpful thread to see the plots and pictures of different types of cushions can be seen here https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/a-cushion-by-any-other-name.36001/ (keep in mind pictures aren't as useful as videos and can only be used reliably to understand facet structure not light performance)

Step 2 (Choose the 4Cs)

1) Post your budget, Color, Clarity, Carat Weight, LW(length to width) Ratio (do you like perfectly Square or Rectangular?) and cut preference. We will help find stones in your price range or tell you if your budget is realistic for the specs you have chosen or if you will have to make some tradeoffs. If you would rather go directly to the vendor at this point I suggest you speak to:

i) Mark at Engagementringsdirect.com
ii) Jon at Goodoldgold.com
iii) Bob at Whiteflash.com
iv) Brian at Briangavindiamonds.com

This list is limited to what I beleive are vendors who specialize in cushion cuts designed for light performance there may be others but I haven't had experiences with them. Some vendors like GOG and BGD have even developed their own cushion signature cut diamonds lines not available for sale by any other vendor. All of these vendors will be able to provide ASET images and pictures of stones to help you decide prior to purchase.

Example:

Budget: $10,000
Color: H and above
Clarity: SI1 and above (Anything Eyeclean from 6 feet away looking faceup)
Carat Weight: 1.3Ct+
Lw Ratio = 1 - 1.05 (I want square) or 1.1 - 1.3 (I want rectangular)
Cushion Brilliant (Modern) either 4 main or 8 main

Than we can help you narrow things down considerably.

Step 3 (View and Post ASET Image and Photographs and/or see in person)

Ask the vendor for a Video and/or ASET image (http://www.ideal-scope.com/1.using_ASET_scope.asp) of your possible choices and we can help you narrow down which of your selections we prefer and why.

Step 4 (View a side by side comparison at a vendor or appraisor for final selection)

If you are still not sure I would send your two or three favourite stones to a PS listed appraisor https://www.pricescope.com/appr_list.aspx close to you, where you can view your final choices in person prior to purchase you will just have to pay shipping. Many PS vendors will send stones to a trusted appraisor without you having to pay first and the appraisor will only release the stone to you only upon payment to and consent of the vendor.
For such an expensive purchase $100 in shipping and $100 in appraisor time seems well worth it to make the most informed choice possible.

Happy Hunting,

CCL

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can't tell much from the image, I have seen these types of images before but they aren't ASET as we see them here...Is it absolutely necessary you buy tomorrow? What I would suggest is try to view as many different cushions as you can before making a decision, these are tricky shapes which can vary so much in appearance and performance, so it really would be best with such a large purchase to spend some time researching and comparing in order to get the best cushion you can for the money.

I have just realized, just to confirm this diamond has a GIA report?

nycm3656

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/2/2009 4:51:17 PM
I can''t tell much from the image, I have seen these types of images before but they aren''t ASET as we see them here...Is it absolutely necessary you buy tomorrow? What I would suggest is try to view as many different cushions as you can before making a decision, these are tricky shapes which can vary so much in appearance and performance, so it really would be best with such a large purchase to spend some time researching and comparing in order to get the best cushion you can for the money.

Hey guys, Lorelei and CCL.

Yes Lorelei, this does have a GIA report. CCL, I am going to see Mark tomorrow at engagementrings.com in NYC. Taking the day off from work and getting this deal done. I''ve seen enough to know what I am looking for, but will take advice from CCL and take another step. I would try and also see GOG, but it is too difficult getting out to Long Island. I hope Mark can help me out!

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/2/2009 6:27:57 PM

I can''t tell much from the image, I have seen these types of images before but they aren''t ASET as we see them here...Is it absolutely necessary you buy tomorrow? What I would suggest is try to view as many different cushions as you can before making a decision, these are tricky shapes which can vary so much in appearance and performance, so it really would be best with such a large purchase to spend some time researching and comparing in order to get the best cushion you can for the money.

Yes Lorelei, this does have a GIA report. CCL, I am going to see Mark tomorrow at engagementrings.com in NYC. Taking the day off from work and getting this deal done. I''ve seen enough to know what I am looking for, but will take advice from CCL and take another step. I would try and also see GOG, but it is too difficult getting out to Long Island. I hope Mark can help me out!
I would call them both beforehand and let them know what you are looking for it may take a few days for them to call in a stone with your preferences.

You should tell them for example:

Budget: $25,000 Max
Color: G or Higher
Clarity: SI1 or Higher (Must be Eye Clean)
Cushion: Cushion Brilliant (chunky facets) or modern cushion brilliants
Size: 1.8 Ct+
Shape: LW ~ 1.1 - 1.2 (Rectangular) If you would also llike a perfect square LW~1 you would have more options.

Good-luck,
CCL

nycm3656

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/2/2009 8:55:49 PM

I would call them both beforehand and let them know what you are looking for it may take a few days for them to call in a stone with your preferences.

Shape: LW ~ 1.1 - 1.2 (Rectangular) If you would also llike a perfect square LW~1 you would have more options.

Good-luck,

CCL

Hi CCL, Yes, I did talk to Mark yesterday and gave him some specs. Looking forward to taking a look at some of his stones. May try and get out to GOG today if they can see me, they were closed yesterday so I could not make an appointment. Again, thank you for your advice: priceless.

I''ll post what I end up narrowing my search down to.

nycm3656

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/3/2009 8:41:21 AM

Good-luck,

CCL

Hi CCL, Yes, I did talk to Mark yesterday and gave him some specs. Looking forward to taking a look at some of his stones. May try and get out to GOG today if they can see me, they were closed yesterday so I could not make an appointment. Again, thank you for your advice: priceless.

So had a very busy day today. Went back to visit the diamond that is listed above here. I also wend and spent about 2 hours with Mark at Engagement Rings Direct. All I can say is what a great idea to go see Mark. Unreal! Night and day. He presented to me three unreal chunky cushion stones. I ended up with a brilliant stone and the price was perfect. The stone looked beautiful, definitely bling. We designed a slight modification to the Harry Winston Pave setting and I am going to be getting it in a few weeks. Fantastic experience.

If not for this forum, I would have bought an underperforming stone. Mark was helpful, patient and great to speak with. I really enjoyed meeting with him today.

Here are the specs on the stone:

Shape: Cushion
Carat Weight: 2.01ct
Color: G
Clarity: VS1
Polish: VG
Fluorescence: None
Lab Report: GIA
Measurements: 7.56 x 7.47 x 4.74
Table Percentage: 54%
Depth Percentage: 63.5%

If anyone is interested I''ll post the finished product when I have it. Then it is off to Italy for the proposal.

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
That''s wonderful! Where is the photo? I can''t wait to see!

ChunkyCushionLover

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/3/2009 6:39:27 PM

Date: 11/3/2009 8:41:21 AM

Good-luck,

CCL

So had a very busy day today. Went back to visit the diamond that is listed above here. I also wend and spent about 2 hours with Mark at Engagement Rings Direct. All I can say is what a great idea to go see Mark. Unreal! Night and day. He presented to me three unreal chunky cushion stones. I ended up with a brilliant stone and the price was perfect. The stone looked beautiful, definitely bling. We designed a slight modification to the Harry Winston Pave setting and I am going to be getting it in a few weeks. Fantastic experience.

If not for this forum, I would have bought an underperforming stone. Mark was helpful, patient and great to speak with. I really enjoyed meeting with him today.

Here are the specs on the stone:

Shape: Cushion
Carat Weight: 2.01ct
Color: G
Clarity: VS1
Polish: VG
Fluorescence: None
Lab Report: GIA
Measurements: 7.56 x 7.47 x 4.74
Table Percentage: 54%
Depth Percentage: 63.5%

If anyone is interested I''ll post the finished product when I have it. Then it is off to Italy for the proposal.
I''m glad you found a nicer stone and you took the time to do it :) This is a much more square stone but you haven''t posted any pictures or an ASET yet
28.gif

You picked the HW micropave setting (probably similar to the one I put together with Mark for my Fiance''s ring and similar to this one https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-10yr-cushion-upgrade-from-erd.124340/.
Good-luck with your proposal!.

I still want to see pictures
21.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Many congratulations!!!

nycm3656

Rough_Rock
Here is a picture, from my iPhone, of the stone and the design of the "modified" Harry Winston Pave. Will have pictures when it is finished.

photo(2).jpg

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Looks like a gorgeous cushion! Congrats on your purchase.

nycm3656

Rough_Rock
I started a new thread, just should have left it here. Here is a video of the cushion I bought, it is on the far left, first one, the 2.01.Chunky Cushion Video

gemnewbie

Rough_Rock
NYCM, many congrats. I''ve been following this thread for a while.

So, before your most recent update, you found a cushion at ERD, but you''ve now posted a stone in a GOG video? Did I miss something along the way? I''d be most interested in your experience.

nycm3656

Rough_Rock
Date: 11/9/2009 6:26:51 PM
Author: gemnewbie
NYCM, many congrats. I''ve been following this thread for a while.

So, before your most recent update, you found a cushion at ERD, but you''ve now posted a stone in a GOG video? Did I miss something along the way? I''d be most interested in your experience.

Hi Gemnewbie,

Yes, I did buy this stone from Mark at ERD. This is the same stone that was listed at GOG as not in house (GIA 16826274). When I initially set up my appointment with Mark in the city I told him that I really liked a lot of the "chunky" cushions that I had been seeing online and that I was having problems seeing them when I set up my other appointments (see above thread). After meeting with Mark, seeing this amazing stone in person and designing the setting I did some reasearch on Pricescope and through Google and I found the same stone on GOG. I thought I would post it to show it off! By the way, below is a rendering of the Harry Winston setting that we modified slightly.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results