shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on this CAD

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone - looking to set an oval : ) I wanted something with pave on the band but just a little different than one row. This is where we’re at so far (shown with 2mm high wedding band for reference and the shoulders on the e-ring are 5.9 mm). Any thoughts or suggestions? I don’t mind that a wedding band won’t sit flush so that’s not a concern. D7C784D9-A6D8-4344-B973-30971C88AD2A.jpeg

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone - looking to set an oval : ) I wanted something with pave on the band but just a little different than one row. This is where we’re at so far (shown with 2mm high wedding band for reference and the shoulders on the e-ring are 5.9 mm). Any thoughts or suggestions? I don’t mind that a wedding band won’t sit flush so that’s not a concern. D7C784D9-A6D8-4344-B973-30971C88AD2A.jpeg

No suggestions, only chiming in to say this is beautiful! Love the open gallery and how the pave graduate in size. Looking forward to seeing the diamond set!

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
No suggestions, only chiming in to say this is beautiful! Love the open gallery and how the pave graduate in size. Looking forward to seeing the diamond set!

Thank you! What are your thoughts on the diamonds coming down a little further on the band? I’m also struggling with what band I would pair this with : )

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you! What are your thoughts on the diamonds coming down a little further on the band? I’m also struggling with what band I would pair this with : )

I think that would be a great idea! I personally love it when the pave goes 3/4 of the way down the band because that way you see sparkle if the ring spins either way. If you didn't want to add diamonds you could also add some engraving after the pave ends or milgrain, if you like that look (I shared an inspiration photo that has this in my latest thread and it adds a lot of visual interest). I personally love the look of a plain gold band with an engagement ring. There is something so classic about it. You could also get two row pave band if you prefer the stack to be similar. Something like this: Screenshot_20230629-212209.png
Then there's the option to mix and match. I've seen lots of great examples of this. So many possibilities!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dislike the bar under the basket. The artistic cross over design is just sort of plunked atop a utilitarian bar. I would see if they could extend that sort of cross over design to the shank to meld the design of the basket into the practical bar.
132A86B9-D8D6-4D9E-83E7-0BD79F22864C.jpeg

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
I think that would be a great idea! I personally love it when the pave goes 3/4 of the way down the band because that way you see sparkle if the ring spins either way. If you didn't want to add diamonds you could also add some engraving after the pave ends or milgrain, if you like that look (I shared an inspiration photo that has this in my latest thread and it adds a lot of visual interest). I personally love the look of a plain gold band with an engagement ring. There is something so classic about it. You could also get two row pave band if you prefer the stack to be similar. Something like this: Screenshot_20230629-212209.png
Then there's the option to mix and match. I've seen lots of great examples of this. So many possibilities!

Lots of great points! Thank you! I went ahead and asked to see what diamonds down 3/4 of the band looked like. My other band has this as well so I wasn’t sure if I wanted to switch things up a little bit or go with what I know and love. I love your ring and your journey to get there - of course all the pictures too! I’m also leaning towards the look of a plain wedding band. I love the way stacks look but I have short fingers and not much real estate to stack : )

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
I dislike the bar under the basket. The artistic cross over design is just sort of plunked atop a utilitarian bar. I would see if they could extend that sort of cross over design to the shank to meld the design of the basket into the practical bar.
132A86B9-D8D6-4D9E-83E7-0BD79F22864C.jpeg

I was inspired by a crisscrossing I saw online - I’ll share a picture. I think I get what you’re saying about the change. What do you think about a more standard look - I’ll attach pic 2 of my current ring. B17E95A1-83EF-418C-A962-8AD445B9D01C.jpeg

Attachments

• 0C58EE4D-FA57-4082-86AE-6430F9456D83.jpeg
    0C58EE4D-FA57-4082-86AE-6430F9456D83.jpeg
    746.8 KB · Views: 24

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t think you need to throw the baby out with the bath water I think you can accomplish that crossover look without making it into a standard basket
Something like this but just have them meld into one before connecting into the shank. 2F1639C3-3BBF-4831-805C-0D1B51794C3D.jpeg

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
I don’t think you need to throw the baby out with the bath water I think you can accomplish that crossover look without making it into a standard basket
Something like this but just have them meld into one before connecting into the shank. 2F1639C3-3BBF-4831-805C-0D1B51794C3D.jpeg

Ok, gotcha! I know exactly what you’re saying now : ) I agree and like that look - thank you!

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
I almost forgot that I have some CADs for another ring that may also be an option for the basket and gallery. Any thoughts on incorporating something like this? 804C724A-D377-4520-A964-75B520A7363A.png

Attachments

• AF7B0071-8436-4AA7-BC00-E685895D1134.jpeg
    AF7B0071-8436-4AA7-BC00-E685895D1134.jpeg
    81.5 KB · Views: 39

JV36912

Brilliant_Rock
They are both very beautiful! I don't know that you could go wrong. Do you have a strong preference towards one? I've learned through some (costly) trial and error to go with what you love / really want or you'll always long for it. If not, and it's and even split between the two, was the other ring made? If so, they I may lean towards the first option so you'll have some variety, especially if they are able to modify it like @Niel suggested.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The reason the basket in the second cad is successful is because it’s meant as detail under the halo. It doesn’t have any other function. If you try to apply the same design to your ring it would have to be modified to turn into the prongs that hold the diamond and Could result in something a bit clunky.
I feel certain they can give you the crossover look you want from your inspiration pic without the heaviness of the cross bar at the bottom. They have made enough of those butterfly setting before I am sure they can modify the cad accordingly. That is- unless you don’t like it.

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
They are both very beautiful! I don't know that you could go wrong. Do you have a strong preference towards one? I've learned through some (costly) trial and error to go with what you love / really want or you'll always long for it. If not, and it's and even split between the two, was the other ring made? If so, they I may lean towards the first option so you'll have some variety, especially if they are able to modify it like @Niel suggested.

The reason the basket in the second cad is successful is because it’s meant as detail under the halo. It doesn’t have any other function. If you try to apply the same design to your ring it would have to be modified to turn into the prongs that hold the diamond and Could result in something a bit clunky.
I feel certain they can give you the crossover look you want from your inspiration pic without the heaviness of the cross bar at the bottom. They have made enough of those butterfly setting before I am sure they can modify the cad accordingly. That is- unless you don’t like it.

I always struggle with the gallery portion of the CAD process. My other CAD with the petal gallery is on hold so I don’t know exactly what it looks like in-person. I don’t dislike the modified crisscross but it also doesn’t set my heart on fire. Originally David showed me a scrolling gallery that was somewhat similar to the petal design but scroll work isn’t for me either. In my head I want something different because this is my first “wow” oval - at this point I’m probably overthinking it.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with @Niel ...currently, your criss-cross is sitting on top of the shank (kind of plopped there IMO). Your inspiration has
the criss-cross coming out from the sides of a small donut. I would change it to be like either what niel has posted or make
it more like your inspiration.

Are you planning on doing any milgrain? The pave looks like it is gypsy set (no prongs)? Is that what you are looking for?

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
I agree with @Niel ...currently, your criss-cross is sitting on top of the shank (kind of plopped there IMO). Your inspiration has
the criss-cross coming out from the sides of a small donut. I would change it to be like either what niel has posted or make
it more like your inspiration.

Are you planning on doing any milgrain? The pave looks like it is gypsy set (no prongs)? Is that what you are looking for?

I’m wondering if the CAD can only show the crisscross on top of the donut? I have another CAD where I had to clarify the design and David told me the software (I think) had its limitations but the end product would look like my inspiration.

There will be prongs on the pave diamonds and no milgrain. Let me share my inspiration pic - I believe my inspiration pic is of a lower profile setting which I don’t want. No clue what the gallery looks like…I think I found it on Pinterest while searching through a gazillion oval designs :) 1F928F37-8573-43D3-B675-DBBEAC60C9BD.jpeg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm...well, your current CADs show no donut. I would definitely clarify in writing that it would look like your inspiration photo.

I would say those are bead-set (in the photo you just posted). Again, I would make sure with DK that that is what you are getting.

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
Hmmm...well, your current CADs show no donut. I would definitely clarify in writing that it would look like your inspiration photo.

I would say those are bead-set (in the photo you just posted). Again, I would make sure with DK that that is what you are getting.

I really appreciate the feedback - you’re asking lots of great questions that I did not think to ask! I didn’t even notice there wasn’t a donut in the CAD. This is probably my 10th+ project with DK and I cannot make it work in my head LOL.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m wondering if the CAD can only show the crisscross on top of the donut? I have another CAD where I had to clarify the design and David told me the software (I think) had its limitations but the end product would look like my inspiration.

There will be prongs on the pave diamonds and no milgrain. Let me share my inspiration pic - I believe my inspiration pic is of a lower profile setting which I don’t want. No clue what the gallery looks like…I think I found it on Pinterest while searching through a gazillion oval designs :) 1F928F37-8573-43D3-B675-DBBEAC60C9BD.jpeg

This is not a situation where the cads can’t represent your vision. The cad can be rendered and should be rendered to represent the metal design on the basket.
To clarify I don’t think it needs to be exactly like a butterfly three stone in order to achieve the look you’re after, it can crisscross lower (at the donut ) and then extend o it fluidly to the shank. It’s just not what it’s doing currently.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
But if you’re not sold on the cross over there are plenty of interesting baskets. Do you prefer 4 prongs to 6? An oval that big could accommodate more prongs and could make a more visually impactful basket

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
But if you’re not sold on the cross over there are plenty of interesting baskets. Do you prefer 4 prongs to 6? An oval that big could accommodate more prongs and could make a more visually impactful basket

I think you’ve gotten to the root of it - I’m not sold on the crossover. I prefer 4 prongs but I am definitely open to 6! I’ve been looking for inspiration online, IG, Pinterest but I feel like I keep seeing the same designs. Do you have any suggestions for 6 prong? Thank you for all of your help :)

emmy12

Brilliant_Rock
Your shank design reminds me of the Alyse from Andria Barbone (formerly Victor Barbone). They've done this style with an old mine, but not an oval. The gallery is totally different from what you had originally envisioned, but now that you're open to other ideas I thought i'd toss this in for consideration

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
Your shank design reminds me of the Alyse from Andria Barbone (formerly Victor Barbone). They've done this style with an old mine, but not an oval. The gallery is totally different from what you had originally envisioned, but now that you're open to other ideas I thought i'd toss this in for consideration

Oh wow this is stunning! I love how delicate it is but also has that wow factor :)

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
What does everyone think of this as an option? 9354692D-4649-4CDB-B9B5-5FC9CA84305E.jpeg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wish it had a donut the bar just seems still very utilitarian.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I wish it had a donut the bar just seems still very utilitarian.

Agreed. I would not have the basket so aggressively tapered and I’d definitely add a donut. Here’s a messy sketch

IMG_6418.jpeg

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Heck you could even add a scroll detail to really lean into the vintage look

IMG_6421.jpeg

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
Ok, getting more CADs with the donut added - likely be a few days due to the weekend and holiday. Gives me more time to look as well : )

jaqjaqjaq

Shiny_Rock
Ok, a few more CADs back and forth and I asked for a larger donut. I decided to keep the gallery very clean and minimal because I don’t want to compete with the shoulders of the ring. The whole thing that drew me to the inspo pictures were the shoulders. I asked for a mold of this CAD - completely fine with a ring gap as well so long as the rest looks good. 3F1D31A3-2745-4C55-8C06-655F832635D7.jpeg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the donut...I would also like a more interesting gallery but understand if you want to keep it "clean" down there. Seems like
you are wanting a more modern look (not vintage) since you dont want milgrain so clean might make more sense.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results