shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on these two diamonds?

ModdySmalls

Rough_Rock
Hi Folks,
I have been here before looking for advice on a warmer diamond. I am finding myself more attracted to Old European cuts and compared two the other day. Whichever one I choose, I will set it in a simple rose-gold 6 prong solitaire setting.

I have been quoted roughly the same price for both in the finished product, so it's more an issue of choosing the right stone. I have the personality that is strong on buyers' remorse and could look forever for the "perfect" stone, but I really don't want to. I don't have the strength, knowledge, or stamina (plus I think my husband would kill me from exasperation). What do you think of these two?

Any thoughts/comments/ or red flags I should look for? Thanks in advance!

Video of both here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1d5eR6b-rGm0OsCX98HSWLy7L0Io2mMbh/view?usp=sharing
g IMG_0805.jpeg

Attachments

• 1206946209.pdf
    988.4 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you have pics of these? The video didn't really allow me to compare them in terms of facet patterns, etc/

ModdySmalls

Rough_Rock
Do you have pics of these? The video didn't really allow me to compare them in terms of facet patterns, etc/

Shoot, I don’t. I thought video would be better bc my camera skills aren’t great. Sorry about that. Any thoughts just based on the info I do have?

ModdySmalls

Rough_Rock
Shoot, I don’t. I thought video would be better bc my camera skills aren’t great. Sorry about that. Any thoughts just based on the info I do have?

I have individual videos of them (not side by side, but same camera man, so it may not be better) :)

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Not really. No one can pick fancy cuts by numbers alone. It requires seeing more details of the stone itself to look at how crisp facets are, whether there are issues like a fisheye, etc. Sorry!

ModdySmalls

Rough_Rock
I totally get it. When I see them again I’ll take better pics. I still have time to decide, although someone pointed out on a other thread I posted that the smaller stone has a cavity that could be worrisome (which is what my jeweler said too, but he had the larger stone so there’s a bias there). Thanks for looking anyway.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Post up the separate videos you do have. What did you notice about them and do your eyes like one more than the other?

ModdySmalls

Rough_Rock
Post up the separate videos you do have. What did you notice about them and do your eyes like one more than the other?
I took some screen shots as best I could. The first two are the bigger stone and the last two are the smaller one.

They both look good to me...maybe the smaller one looks a tad more glittery? It's hard to even tell anymore since I've seen the videos so many times. :lol-2:

Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 6.19.28 PM.png 1.png Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 6.15.18 PM.png Screen Shot 2020-03-31 at 6.15.39 PM.png

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
They both look shallow to me. The one you posted the report on is shallow. Are you going with shallow to maximize size?

In the short (very short) video the bigger one looked like it sparkled more to me but I cant say that with a lot of confidence
because the video was too short. I think I am seeing some darkness (yellow) under the table of the smaller one at certain
angles. I would not like that if it is showing up a lot.

ModdySmalls

Rough_Rock
They both look shallow to me. The one you posted the report on is shallow. Are you going with shallow to maximize size?

In the short (very short) video the bigger one looked like it sparkled more to me but I cant say that with a lot of confidence
because the video was too short. I think I am seeing some darkness (yellow) under the table of the smaller one at certain

Thanks for looking. Argh, I was trying to post a picture of a video but I guess clipped the video very short! I’m a mess.

They are both on the shallow side—I didn’t specifically look for that, I was more looking for a specific color and size range. When I first saw the larger one I really loved it, but I’m getting cold feet, I think. My jeweler does have more OECs in my wanted specs that he showed me—maybe he can go through them with me again and I can compare this one to a deeper one.Thanks for your help!

ModdySmalls

Rough_Rock

Since I don’t know much about diamonds in general and OECs specifically, what gives away the shallowness from how they look? (Without looking at the report?)

Mjay

Brilliant_Rock
Moodysmalls. Not to change the subject from the stones you are considering but have you seen this? I’m not sure it’s your cup of tea but I’m drooling over it and the price is amazing. For Gembreakfast by Jenny Norman. It was just released this morning. 59E40503-7D2B-4290-A2E0-A18E0801CF4E.png

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just going off the videos so far, I like the bigger stone a little more. It looks more organised and consistently brighter. If your jeweller has other options, view them all together under different lighting and see which ones you are drawn to.
OECs are very much a matter of which flavour pleases your eyes the most IMO as well as looking at whether you have good light return, no lazy facets etc.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
How can I tell they are shallow?

They have a very 2D look...instead of a 3D look with nice crown facets. They almost look pancake-ish or like a flying saucer.

The first stone looks better to me than the second one.

The second stone in this pic almost looks like certain facets are see-through (probably not true.) I'm just not seeing depth through the center of the
stone. It's like the culet is sitting right there just under the table.

Capture.PNG

ModdySmalls

Rough_Rock
How can I tell they are shallow?

They have a very 2D look...instead of a 3D look with nice crown facets. They almost look pancake-ish or like a flying saucer.

The first stone looks better to me than the second one.

The second stone in this pic almost looks like certain facets are see-through (probably not true.) I'm just not seeing depth through the center of the
stone. It's like the culet is sitting right there just under the table.

Capture.PNG

Thank you! It helps me to understand what a more seasoned eyeball sees. I appreciate your input The larger one has a pretty small table (44) but is shallow (55). Do you think the table can compensate okay for that? I didn’t notice anything super negative myself in the store or outside (the jeweler took us to a variety of lighting situations to look at it) but I also was strictly going off of sight at first.

ModdySmalls

Rough_Rock
Moodysmalls. Not to change the subject from the stones you are considering but have you seen this? I’m not sure it’s your cup of tea but I’m drooling over it and the price is amazing. For Gembreakfast by Jenny Norman. It was just released this morning. 59E40503-7D2B-4290-A2E0-A18E0801CF4E.png

That is a gorgeous ring--thanks for sharing it! I am really wanting a simple setting, though--just a clean and basic solitaire. If only picking the stone was as easy as picking the setting!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you! It helps me to understand what a more seasoned eyeball sees. I appreciate your input The larger one has a pretty small table (44) but is shallow (55). Do you think the table can compensate okay for that? I didn’t notice anything super negative myself in the store or outside (the jeweler took us to a variety of lighting situations to look at it) but I also was strictly going off of sight at first.

You just have to be ok with the look. Compare it to some stones that are deeper. There are always trade-offs (unfortunately).

ModdySmalls

Rough_Rock
You just have to be ok with the look. Compare it to some stones that are deeper. There are always trade-offs (unfortunately).

I was able to compare it to a deeper stone (which is on the left). What do you think?

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’d take a look at a vendor with a big inventory and photos, like Old World Diamonds, to see the different flavours of OEC, plus Jewels by Grace.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results