shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on setting precious stones in sterling silver

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Julia is doing my piece with 18K gold head and silver body.

-A

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/16/2009 2:08:46 PM
Author: simplysplendid
I''ve heard that it is possble to plate silver in white gold or platinum, perhaps that will resolve the oxidisation problem? I am all for setting in silver especially for pretty, inexpensive gems. It also makes a fun gift.
I find silver very easy to clean: just put a piece of foil in a small bowl, cover with warm water and some baking soda. Place the pieces on the foil so that they are covered with water and let sit for a while. Rinse.

This procedure is also very mild and won''t scratch the pieces. If anyone is interested, I can give a nice explanation on ionization strength and electron trasfer
2.gif

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/18/2009 2:12:59 PM
Author: Lady_Disdain
Date: 9/16/2009 2:08:46 PM

Author: simplysplendid

I''ve heard that it is possble to plate silver in white gold or platinum, perhaps that will resolve the oxidisation problem? I am all for setting in silver especially for pretty, inexpensive gems. It also makes a fun gift.

I find silver very easy to clean: just put a piece of foil in a small bowl, cover with warm water and some baking soda. Place the pieces on the foil so that they are covered with water and let sit for a while. Rinse.

This procedure is also very mild and won''t scratch the pieces. If anyone is interested, I can give a nice explanation on ionization strength and electron trasfer
2.gif

Lady Disdain
35.gif
, do explain. I''m really interested.

I just used a sunshine cloth to give my JKT pendant/chain a quick clean and it was brilliant.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
If anyone is interested - yesterday I saw an amazing emerald and diamond brooch on UK version of Antiques roadshow, and while emeralds were bezeled in yellow gold, diamonds (quite a lot of them and not really small either) were all set in silver - using just prongs! No one mentioned if the piece was ever repaired, but it looked beautiful, and I''d never guess that the largest portion of that piece was made from silver (it was estimated at around 15 000 dollars, and possibly more btw).

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/14/2009 12:56:12 AM
Author: glitterata
Silver was THE precious white metal for centuries before platinum came into common use (about 100-110 years ago, according to Rich Sherwood) and before white gold was invented (around World War I). For centuries, most diamonds were set in silver. That was one reason I decided to set my S Infinity in silver. Hey--I''m an old-fashioned girl....

Some people think silver looks cheap because they associate it with costume jewelry. But that''s just a contemporary prejudice. Three hundred years ago, kings wore diamonds set in silver.
Thanks for the history lesson! It always gets "under my skin" when people say that Sterling is Costume Jewelry! Makes me want to growl at them.

I have some earrings that have semi precious stones set in silver. I don''t think of them as costume jewelry.
38.gif

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
I have followed this thread with interest, because I have had a lot of my gemstones set in silver lately. Silver is a wonderful metal in my opinion, as I have little patience with rhodium plating and white gold, and platinum is out of my price range right now. Thank you everyone for your opinions and the information
1.gif

innerkitten

Ideal_Rock
I love silver too. I'm still a in the early learning stages of metal smithing but I have had to use hard soft and medium solder in one piece . Is it avoidable?I would love to know more about the different patinas BTW if you have info. I've only used black.

Date: 9/13/2009 12:27:50 PM
Author: Lady_Disdain
I use a lot of silver, actually. I like the really white look for a lot of stones (and I dislike dipping white gold). I won't set my spinel or demantoid in silver, but a lot of my tourmalines, opals and garnets end up in silver settings.

I prefer 950 fine silver/copper alloy, personally. Silver has amazing plasticity, there is a wide range of patinas (much more than the usual black) and it is very nice for texturing.

I recommend not getting cast silver, though. Hand fabricated pieces are harder, take better polish and generally end up better. I also ask about what solder is to be used (the harder, the better, as it will show up less).

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
Ooh, so glad I found this thread! Right now I''m debating whether to do sterling or white gold (or palladium) and I''m loving all of the thoughts here. I too would love to hear about the different patinas available...that is one of the things that is making me hesitate toward the silver. And are most jewelers willing to use patinas besides black?

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
I''m so glad I found this thread!

Sally at Heart of Water is making my emerald ring with a diamond halo in sterling silver. I am really very excited about it.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Just remember to be gentle with your sterling rings, especially if they''re thin and delicate.

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 9/29/2009 12:46:58 PM
Just remember to be gentle with your sterling rings, especially if they''re thin and delicate.

I noticed this recently with my silver bracelet. It has thin hinges and they bend so easily, I stopped wearing it going out with my children (who are still the age that I have to lift them a lot) and now wear it only in my alone time or at work.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/29/2009 12:46:58 PM

Yeah, it''s why I opted to get my pad lotus in 18k WG, since I wear it often (and hopefully for a long time!) and it''s rather delicate for it''s height. My tsavorite lotus is 2 tone though, with the head being 18YG and body sterling, so I''ll have to take a bit more care with it. And I don''t plan to wear it as often.

Hehe, I do have one bezeled sapphire silver hammered ring that I wear pretty much daily and has gotten quite banged up. But I think it just adds to the au natural look. It''s as low a bezel as it can go, and sturdy, so no real structural worries.

AustenNut

Brilliant_Rock
I was just rereading this thread and wonder about people''s opinions on a prong set piece for earrings/necklaces/bracelets. Is this also an accident waiting to happen, or a good use of silver?

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I would say it depends on the prongs and the design, but earrings should be fine, bracelets might not be a good idea (I know I bang up my bracelets even more than my rings), and necklaces could be okay unless you''re carrying toddlers around or wrestling bears.

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmmm....the info on prongs is important. So no prongs in SS, just bezel set stones or do a two tone with the Gold/Plat being the prongs.

My earrings are bezel set.

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I used to think silver was an inferior metal because of the tarnish factor. But my daughter gifted me with a star ruby ring with diamond halo in silver that she had made in India and I have changed my mind. It is just a beautiful as platinum or white gold. I would hate to see it tarnished though and I will keep up with cleaning and polishing.

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
Lisa, there''s a new version of sterling silver--Argentium silver, discussed in this thread--that resists tarnish. You might like it!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results