shape
carat
color
clarity

thoughts on my diamond selection criteria

dan1230

Rough_Rock
So i'm starting to come up with a list of things that I am looking for in a solitaire based off of everything I've been reading here. My gf really likes rose gold so I've been planning everything around that. So far here's where I'm at:

Budget: ~$6000

Shape: Round (this is a definite)

Size: 1.25-1.47 (I know this is a decent range but I feel that this is a good place I can make adjustments in order to fit my budget and also ensure that I come out with something that looks really good in the setting. I'm looking at getting a custom 6 prong setting so it'll be set up a bit)

Color: J (my thoughts after reading a lot about diamond color as it relates to the setting is that with a rose gold ring, I can afford to go with a slightly lower color grade without much visible difference. I had originally been looking at I.

Clarity SI1 or higher (my understanding here is that it's more important to get a good look at the defects and see where exactly they are in the stone rather than just go off of a grade as a VS1 diamond could actually look worse than a SI1 depending on where the defects actually sit)

Cut: This is where I really want to focus my search. The above criteria will help me narrow things down but at the end of the day I really want a nicely cut stone with good proportions that'll look great on her finger. I'll be using HCA, and IdealScopes as a guide but also know that my final decision will come down to how it looks in person

From another thread, I think I'll be using this range as a guideline:
Depth up to 62.2
Crown 34-35
Pavilion 40.6-40.9
Table 55-58

Fluorescence: I'm considering trying to find something with a strong blue fluorescence as I think it'll add a bit of uniqueness to the diamond and I don't see a down side assuming it doesn't appear cloudy.

Any feedback or suggestions is greatly appreciated!

flyingpig

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Clarity SI1 or higher (my understanding here is that it's more important to get a good look at the defects and see where exactly they are in the stone rather than just go off of a grade as a VS1 diamond could actually look worse than a SI1 depending on where the defects actually sit)

This is valid for VS2 vs SI1. But VS1 is always eye-clean and almost mind-clean level.
Expand your search to include VVS and even IF. VS1/VVF/IF can come at a relatively bargain price when coupled with J or K color.

Otherwise, it looks good

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your specs look good. I usually go to 41 on the pavilion.

34 crown goes best with a pavilion more towards 41
35 crown goes best with lower pavilion like 40.6

The largest well cut one I came to on JA...dont really need this high clarity so I'll look for an SI1 closer to budget.
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.22-carat-j-color-vvs2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-967986

More in budget
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.21-carat-j-color-vs1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1943885 ask about color
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.13-carat-j-color-si1-clarity-ideal-cut-sku-1961277 ask about colory and
cloudiness/ AGS000 stone

Ask about eye-clean, got a lot going on in it, wouldnt be my first choice...probably better choices
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.20-carat-j-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-954562

Enchanted Diamonds
Here is an "I", its got something on the table so you would have to ask about eye-cleanliness
https://enchanteddiamonds.com/checkout?payment_method=wire#diamond=042812871
A nice J
https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/search?carat_min=1.09&clarity=SI1,VS2,VS1,VVS2,VVS1&color=D,E,F,G,H,I,J&has_image=true&heirloom=true&make=Ideal,Excellent&shape=Round&wire_price_max=6080.0#diamond=R118-713685163
Another J
https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/search?carat_min=1.09&clarity=SI1,VS2,VS1,VVS2,VVS1&color=D,E,F,G,H,I,J&has_image=true&heirloom=true&make=Ideal,Excellent&shape=Round&wire_price_max=6080.0#diamond=R122-368Z18614

A nice size J, request an Idealscope , almost hits 7mm
https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/search?carat_min=1.09&clarity=SI1,VS2,VS1,VVS2,VVS1&color=D,E,F,G,H,I,J&has_image=true&heirloom=true&make=Ideal,Excellent&shape=Round&wire_price_max=6080.0#diamond=R126-3879Z1685
Another nice size J...almost to 7mm
https://enchanteddiamonds.com/diamonds/search?carat_min=1.09&clarity=SI1,VS2,VS1,VVS2,VVS1&color=D,E,F,G,H,I,J&has_image=true&heirloom=true&make=Ideal,Excellent&shape=Round&wire_price_max=6080.0#diamond=R127-340945804

Well, that should get you started...the other place to check is B2C Jewels and you can always as ID Jewelry. They can usually find
larger nice stones within budget.

Edit ...ditto what flyingpig said

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes to VS1-VS2-SI1, and I think you need to consider revising your weight parameters and find the best cut diamond you can in the 1.2-1.29 range if the budget is $6k. Tyty has given you some good suggestions. But I'd stick with JA if you plan to get the setting from the diamond seller.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I am going to go into the body of your post to post some comments. I like much of what you wrote, but as a professional, I have some ideas that are slightly different. These are my ideas, and do not mean yours are wrong, just that we disagree slightly in places, and no matter what I post there will those who also disagree with me. It is part of what makes this business so much fun and a continuous area of study.

dan1230|1470749909|4063840 said:
So i'm starting to come up with a list of things that I am looking for in a solitaire based off of everything I've been reading here. My gf really likes rose gold so I've been planning everything around that. So far here's where I'm at:

Budget: ~$6000

Shape: Round (this is a definite)

Size: 1.25-1.47 (I know this is a decent range but I feel that this is a good place I can make adjustments in order to fit my budget and also ensure that I come out with something that looks really good in the setting. I'm looking at getting a custom 6 prong setting so it'll be set up a bit)

You are right, this is a great range, but I must caution you that many of the diamonds that could have been cut excellently in this range will have been cut to lower standards to keep a 1.50 ct weight and thus sell for more money. It will lower the number of diamonds that you can find in this size range, especially as you approach the 1.47 ct weight,

Color: J (my thoughts after reading a lot about diamond color as it relates to the setting is that with a rose gold ring, I can afford to go with a slightly lower color grade without much visible difference. I had originally been looking at I.

If you are getting a truly top of the line cut you will see much less of the color, but with a J you should still seem some of the color. Personally, I LOVE the lower colors for their rich buttery warmth, especially when set in yellow or rose colored gold. As with all diamonds, be sure to buy with a strong return policy in case you do not like it when you see it, but I think a well cut J can be a true treasure to the eye.

I don't think I have ever seen a VS1 that looked worse to the eye than an SI1 and honestly, it is RARE to see an SI1 that looks worse to the eye than a VS1, as most are eye clean from the top and thus look equal to one another to the unaided eye. This is an area where it may be important for "mind cleanliness" than actual cleanliness. Even many SI2's will look as good as a VS1, but there is much more chance of the inclusion being visible in an SI2, so it is more critical to see the diamond with your eyes to be sure.

Cut: This is where I really want to focus my search. The above criteria will help me narrow things down but at the end of the day I really want a nicely cut stone with good proportions that'll look great on her finger. I'll be using HCA, and IdealScopes as a guide but also know that my final decision will come down to how it looks in person

This is the crux of the matter. Cut is KING in my opinion. If you concentrate here you will trump nearly all other considerations as far as appearance goes. I do not believe that this factor can be over emphasized.

From another thread, I think I'll be using this range as a guideline:
Depth up to 62.2
Crown 34-35
Pavilion 40.6-40.9
Table 55-58

Fluorescence: I'm considering trying to find something with a strong blue fluorescence as I think it'll add a bit of uniqueness to the diamond and I don't see a down side assuming it doesn't appear cloudy.

While I personally love the strong blue fluorescent diamonds, so long as they are not over blues, they take a harsh beating in the market should you ever want to resell for any reason. I know that no one ever buys with the intention of needing to resell, but if a loved one should become ill, this is the wrong time to discover that the diamond has little resale value. I just want you to be aware of this prior to purchasing.

Any feedback or suggestions is greatly appreciated!

I wish you a fun search for the diamond of your dreams. You will receive a lot of information and advice here, much of it seemingly conflicting, but you hit the nail on the head when you said that these were thoughts on "MY DIAMOND SELECTION CRITERIA."

Wink

dan1230

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all input everyone. This site really is a wealth of knowledge and advice. I appreciate the links and the suggestions and Wink definitely don't take offense to any of your opinions. These are the kinds of things I'm looking for. I'm just trying to gather as much knowledge and insight as i can at this point so when I do actually get closer to purchasing, I'll feel confident with my selection because of what I'm seeing and reading about the details vs. what someone is telling me about it!

dan1230

Rough_Rock

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dan1230|1470794195|4064114 said:
Ok I see a ton in the ~1.3c range as you guys mentioned but then also came across this:
http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-8588813-1.50-carat-Round-diamond-J-color-VS2-Clarity.aspx?sku=8588813&utm_source=pricescope.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=pricescope.com

slightly over 6k but it seems to hit or exceed just about every spec and scores well in the HCA. Short of a visual inspection, is there something i'm missing? (definitely not ready to pull the trigger, just curious).

It hits at about half price of a very well cut stone in this color/clarity/carat range. That tells you something. While it scores well on the HCA, the crown angle is higher than preferred specs. Pairs fairly well with the pavilion angle though. It has faint fluorescence and as Wink says, that dings the price some too. If you like it or don't mind it, not necessarily a negative. I personally would shy away from stones that hit the perfect mark, i.e., 1.50, 1.25, 1.75 as I always feel they were cut and possibly sacrificed in some area to achieve that magical carat weight and price point.

Just some things to think about as you go about making a decision. It could be perfectly beautiful to you and that is the true test. However, trying to reach a certain carat weight at a certain price doesn't always net you a beautifully cut stone.

dan1230

Rough_Rock
That's a good point. I always thought it was best to shy away from 1.25, 1.5 etc... due to price jumps but i guess the same can be said for something at what appears to be a relatively low price. Either way it's definitely just one more thing on my list to consider!

Diamond_Hawk

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
dan1230|1470847072|4064321 said:
I always thought it was best to shy away from 1.25, 1.5 etc... due to price jumps but i guess the same can be said for something at what appears to be a relatively low price.

A nice realization - the business side of cutting decisions contains many subtleties.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results