shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on grey spinel melee?

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I'm really trying to come up with a final plan for my spinel. Originally I thought just a halo of single cut diamonds. Then started thinking maybe something less bridal/blingy. I bought silver/gray 1.9 mm spinels from Yvonne. But, now that I've seen it all together, I'm not so sure.
A. Are the grey spinels kinda gloomy? They sparkle like crazy in bright light, but get moody in the dark.
B. They are so small, I'm afraid they just look like I went with low color I-3 diamonds?

I'm within the return window on the grey spinels.... any input?? Maybe I should just go with my original single cut halo idea?

I just want to be really sure before I send this off... I'm hoping for minimal cads and quick turnaround!
20181127_101352.jpg 20181203_162233.jpg 20181203_163112.jpg

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
I'm really trying to come up with a final plan for my spinel. Originally I thought just a halo of single cut diamonds. Then started thinking maybe something less bridal/blingy. I bought silver/gray 1.9 mm spinels from Yvonne. But, now that I've seen it all together, I'm not so sure.
A. Are the grey spinels kinda gloomy? They sparkle like crazy in bright light, but get moody in the dark.
B. They are so small, I'm afraid they just look like I went with low color I-3 diamonds?

I'm within the return window on the grey spinels.... any input?? Maybe I should just go with my original single cut halo idea?

I just want to be really sure before I send this off... I'm hoping for minimal cads and quick turnaround!
I feel like a bright halo would look nice with that stone. Maybe some paraibas melee that Yvonne has?

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Hmm. I'm afraid a bright color would overwhelm the pastel center? I want the lavender to pop..I guess thats why I thought the grey neutral would work. But its kinda goth, not my thing.

suzanne2

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

I don't think they are gloomy, I think they are soft and restful. I love the color, they reflect everything around them. Really pretty.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer single cut diamonds for the spinel. Just flashy enough without overshadowing the center stone.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My tastes run sort of goth punk so “gloomy” appeals to me lol.

But if that’s not to your taste, I think single cuts or even small rose cuts would add shimmer without overpowering the pastel.

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm kind of leaning back that way, but then it's back to the drawing boards. .. there's so many halos that I like. It's hard to decide what to do. 20181203_192730.jpg
Does the top left inspiration pic have gray spinel set as the larger four stones with diamonds as the halo? I was going to vote for diamonds before seeing that pic, but I really like the idea of four gray spinel as accents.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Does the top left inspiration pic have gray spinel set as the larger four stones with diamonds as the halo? I was going to vote for diamonds before seeing that pic, but I really like the idea of four gray spinel as accents.

GOOD EYE! YES! I'm just playing with combinations, and that kind of worked for me too.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
The grey spinel will look amazing if set into an oxidised silver or blackened gold setting. I do agree that in white gold, they may come across as dull. I like the idea of four accent stones though!

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Hehe. If your not opposed to moissy then maybe JuliaB could help with a halo ring. She seems to have rose cut melee
https://www.etsy.com/listing/551133211/rose-cut-classique-moissanite-eternity?ga_search_query=Rose+cut&ref=shop_items_search_20&pro=1&frs=1

I'm a moissy fan, especially old cuts! But I'm already talking with Amy (DK) about this, she said they can use single cut diamonds, so that's probably what I'd do. But , heck yes, a rosecut moissy appeals..have you seen one in a pear? WOW.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
The grey spinel will look amazing if set into an oxidised silver or blackened gold setting. I do agree that in white gold, they may come across as dull. I like the idea of four accent stones though!

I'm actually using grey gold for sure. I discovered it through Elle at Gemstone Project, she told me DK sources it for her. I love it. I have a band he made for me in the grey gold. It's like oxidized silver.

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
I'm actually using grey gold for sure. I discovered it through Elle at Gemstone Project, she told me DK sources it for her. I love it. I have a band he made for me in the grey gold. It's like oxidized silver.

Oooh, you know your instincts are probably right then! Grey gold, silver spinel and that beautiful pastel amethyst will be a beautiful combination. Trust yourself!

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
@peacechick ha! It's a lavender spinel not an amethyst! But I wanted a rose de france amethyst colored spinel, so I'm glad you thought that!

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
Ah! Rose cuts (and then moissy rose cuts) were also the first thing that popped into mind when I saw your post, but then I got distracted and didn't reply. So I am 100% on board with that idea.

BUT I also loooove the way that lavender and grey spinel play together. I think the issue with the grey melee is that they are so small, they don't get the chance to really reflect the light like crazy like grey spinels normally do. I feel like I would either go larger with the greys (like a 3 stone worth small-scale side stones) or go with the combo of smaller single cuts with the few grey melee. I feel like the contrast with the white stones will make it clear that the spinels aren't just bad diamonds. Then you still get all that grey-purple glory :)

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm kind of leaning back that way, but then it's back to the drawing boards. .. there's so many halos that I like. It's hard to decide what to do. 20181203_192730.jpg

I love your photoshop skills. :mrgreen2: I love them all but I really like that one on the top left with what I assume are 4 grey spinels. Other than that, I think diamonds are the way to go on this one.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
random:

Could see a pair of cabs as sides - light blue or green matching the intensity of the spinel's lavender

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
@elliefire99 hey you! I was hoping you'd chime in! (I know you've got a design flair!) These grey spinels are small but mighty! They are portugese cut too, so real sparkle bombs. I think that will also help set them apart from the single cuts subtle glow.
20181204_094832.jpg

I'm so glad I asked for help on this, I am really liking the idea of grey accents! I'm going to have to work on the layouts, see what looks best. I like the layout on the top pictures below too. Accentuates the center stone shape.
20181204_101619.jpg

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
=)2 =)2 Aww... I'm flattered. My thin wallet likes that I am only mentally and emotionally invested in other people's projects, so seeing everyone's beautiful ideas is a win-win!

And yay grey accents! The NSEW placement is popping out at me the most right now, but I'm sure more ideas are to come!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also really like the grey spinels as accent stones. I personally like the bottom photo where the spinels are larger than the accent diamonds. I think I've seen that in an antique ring somewhere.

prs

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I wonder if, in your first layout, the proportions of the side stones to the center stone are not quite right, with the sides maybe being a tad too big. Have you tried 2,1 instead of 3,2,1 on the grey spinels?

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would go for daimonds. I feel like spinels can be moody in general and they all have their own personalities. So lighting which works for one, does not neccessarily work for another. It would drive me crazy to have two types of spinels in the one ring, if they were uncoroporative and looked good in different lighting.

Err feel free to ignore this though, if you like the added character and complexity of it all. I like things to be simple. When things get too complex it makes my teeth hurt. I think this tinctures my views quite strongly.

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What about using grey diamonds? I know that Yvonne can source them and they might add some sparkle without messing up the lavender/grey color palette. I have a small eternity band with grey diamonds and red spinel.

il_570xN.1314151957_fdhw (1).jpg

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
So I finally got up the nerve to open the box of baby spinels. As I feared, even though I tried to be very careful, one fell into the carpet... there I am on my hands and knees crawling around looking for it. (Found it!)

But I finally got all the stones together in one box, finger smudged them all in the process, and tried them out together in different light. I think they look fine, they all change colors, but I think they work together. My main stone goes a range from pastel lavender to a purply blue, the little ones go from silvery to gray with colorful flashes.
I tried to make a pretty arrangement in the box, but gave up. . those little suckers kept rolling under the big one. Oh well!!
20181205_211803.jpg

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock
I'm glad you like them! They definitely look much brighter next to the other stone.

Though I must say, after your posting of all those yummy halo options, the original design concept seems a little lack-luster haha. Any other thoughts about how to use the greys?

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
@elliefire99 Oh , I'm definetly sold on the singlecut halo with grey accents now! I've been looking at tons of photos for ideas. I like art deco, and want this to have that kind of geometric flare, but still be an every day wearable right hand ring. So far, I like the same one everyone else seems to like, with the NSEW stones. I think if the proportions were different it would work. Like the diamonds would be little 1 mms. This is the "art project" I'll be working on tonight! My other fave (below) has cleaner lines, wondering if I could add the accents but keep the feel?
20181028_165607.png

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock

Yes! This is the one I was going to signal out if you decided to go all diamonds. I love how it manages to be both angular and delicate at the same time .

Looking at D&T's beautiful EC reset, I think the the NSEW accents are drawing us all because they soften the rectangle visually when placed that way. They add width between the corners (which would otherwise be the widest points of the stone) rather than emphasizing them as they would if placed at the corners.

Something to keep in mind while you look at setting inspirations!

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I DTs ring today! So beautiful!
I kind of like how (on my last example) the airline emphasizes the stone shape. If I could have that and a sized down version of the NSEW halo, we'd be on to something. ..
But, lord help me, I think about double claws in those corners too....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results