shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on grey spinel melee?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! Hi @CHRISTY-DANIELLE - we are in a reeeeeally similar position!

I bought a cushion cut grey spinel and was going to set it into a halo of diamonds. Then I wondered if the cost of the setting was out of proportion to the cost of the spinel, so switched to rose de france amethysts - setting in platinum.

But when I saw it all together, I thought it looked a bit 'costume-y' - so now I'm doing 3 round diamonds on either side of the spinel to try to tone it down a little. I have no idea what I'll use the ame's for, but they have gorgeous sparkle, so I'll use them for something, I'm sure.

My ring is currently setting, so I'll post some photos when it's done, if you think it might be of any help to you.

Looking forward to seeing where you end up with this; I LOVE spinels!

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
@mrs-b oh I can't wait to see that! I bet that spinel is beautiful!
Yes, I am trying to avoid costumey! I love a good " Kapow " blingy ring, but I am trying for something more refined for frequent wear.
I love rose de France! I have a collection of them myself. I hope you do use them someday!

I was thinking the extra gray spinels would be an interesting chunky halo around a vibrant colored round gem too. ( Do the projects ever end??;)2)
I did some work on this, always trying it out on the finger to make sure its not getting too big. My spinel is 9.7 x 8, so I have to keep the design tight to keep it from getting crazy big. 20181206_105516.jpg

elliefire99

Brilliant_Rock

If you and mrs-b are in the same place, you know you are on the right track :)

I am personally feeling the thinner setting, as it really lets the spinel shine, and it seems more every-day wearable. Wondering if it makes the greys appear too big though? How attached are you to the airline? Eliminating that might bring your width down without having to make the diamonds so small relative to the grey spinels. Hmmmmmm.....

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
@elliefire99 I think somewhere between the two left pics would be ideal. I've also been playing with petal like shape around the greys rather then just circles . Working on it!

peacechick

Brilliant_Rock
@Rare gem lover taught me this trick for those pesky little gem boxes—open them upside down! Then your gems will be safely within the lid instead of catapulting onto the carpet or, horrors, a concrete floor!

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
@CHRISTY-DANIELLE I am so happy I don't have to make this choice! I love, love your spinel! Spinels are my favorite. @prs is a horrible influence--that setting with the hearts is amazing! And I'm not a heart-shape person.
This one is fun and elegant, but I wonder how it sits?
Screen Shot 2018-12-07 at 1.27.17 PM.png
I don't know what to tell you. =)2 The bottom left one from above is more refined and very classy. But this is a fun problem to have!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@CHRISTY-DANIELLE -

I received photos of my set gray spinel this morning. Its thread is in SMTB. The stone has come out WAY more purple in those photos than in real life, but you'll get the general idea.

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
@CHRISTY-DANIELLE -

I received photos of my set gray spinel this morning. Its thread is in SMTB. The stone has come out WAY more purple in those photos than in real life, but you'll get the general idea.

Off topic, but I'm so jealous you got pictures! I'm waiting for pics of my AVR I sent back to have the bezel tweaked...Amy said would be ready Tuesday and she'd send photos. .. now it's Saturday! I hope I get it back before Christmas!

CHRISTY-DANIELLE

Ideal_Rock
I think I've come up with a design that is not over the top cocktail ring, just about right, with a deco -ish flair. I'd use small, 1mm ish singlecut diamonds.
I'm leaning toward the left side, with a very slight airline, rather than pics on right. I would keep the shoulder plain or very simple, and ask for it to be low profile. 20181209_102600.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results