Find your diamond
Find your jewelry
shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on a Recut

Kimmy

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Joined
Feb 2, 2009
Messages
125
I am a long time lurcker, but not much of a poster. I have a pair of 3.7 ctw diamond studs. The stones are not certified, but I was told they were G-H and SI with a very good cut. I know that these grades are inaccurate, but I won them in an auction for $4,500. I really wanted studs that were around 3.5 ctw. I'm considering having the stones recut, but I'm wondering if it is worth the cost (at least $1300) and the weight loss. I'd love to get some educated opinions. I'm not necessarily shooting for super ideal, but rather just improved light performance with minimal weight loss.

photo-58_2.jpg photo%202_1.png photo%203.png photo%204.jpg photo%205.jpg

I apologize for the terrible photos... they were taken with my phone.
 

Kimmy

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Joined
Feb 2, 2009
Messages
125
I should also mention that the earrings are currently set as 4 prong baskets, but I'm going to have them reset as 8 prong martinis.
 

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 17, 2008
Messages
22,089
How are the flaws? I think the only way to really know is to take them to a jeweler who can do recuts and ask, or send them to BGD.
 

slg47

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Apr 4, 2010
Messages
9,667
I would at least inquire about a recut...even if you don't go through with it, just to see what the outcome would be.
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
55,816
I'm afraid at that price they may have inclusions that might make it dangerous to recut them. But as the others have said, you could send them to Brian Gavin and he will tell you what he thinks. That's the only way to know for sure. It would depend on the quality of the stones whether I'd invest anymore money in them.
 

Kimmy

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Joined
Feb 2, 2009
Messages
125
Do you think I got a good deal for what they are? Would I be better off just getting rid of these studs than putting money into a recut? I believe that my local appraiser is able to evaluate potential recuts... should I get his opinion and then maybe see a local cutter? photo-62.jpg
 

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 16, 2007
Messages
24,364
Well, well cut diamonds of that size, even if you have J Si2s on your hand, would have cost you about $25k. So you got a deal compared to that. And even if really crummy cuts and even lower color and clarity, $4500 for the pair is likely a steal as long as they are real diamonds. I don't think I would have spent that much on poorly cut stones, but they are your earrings not mine.

I would not use just any old cutter for them. I would contact BGD. I think he charges something like $200-$300 per carat for the recut, so less than you have been quoted. If Brian thinks he can recut them it could be worth the risk. Improving the cut would make them a real deal for sure.
 

Kimmy

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Joined
Feb 2, 2009
Messages
125
Dreamer_D|1306813813|2934259 said:
Well, well cut diamonds of that size, even if you have J Si2s on your hand, would have cost you about $25k. So you got a deal compared to that. And even if really crummy cuts and even lower color and clarity, $4500 for the pair is likely a steal as long as they are real diamonds. I don't think I would have spent that much on poorly cut stones, but they are your earrings not mine.

I would not use just any old cutter for them. I would contact BGD. I think he charges something like $200-$300 per carat for the recut, so less than you have been quoted. If Brian thinks he can recut them it could be worth the risk. Improving the cut would make them a real deal for sure.
I hadn't seen the stones in person, but I was told they had a very good cut. I set my limit at $4500 since I didn't really know what I was getting (a bit of a gamble). The clarity is not horrible (I can see the inclusions when I look closely, but not from a few inches away) and the stones are fairly white. They just don't sparkle much. The settings also don't help as droop a bit. BGD quoted me $350 per carat which comes out to $1,295+ shipping. Here is a picture in indoor lighting to compare them with my much higher quality 1 ctw studs. I'm just trying to figure out if it is worth a recut before I bother sending them out or putting more money into them.
photo%202_0.jpg
 

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 16, 2007
Messages
24,364
So $4500 + $1300 = $5800. Still a lot less than $25k ;)) Seems worth it. But I assume by `worth it`you actually mea will you be able to notice the improvement in optics. I bet you will. And you cannot get another pair of earrings even remotely close to that size for $1300. So seems like a good investment to me *if* Brian can recut them and improve the optics.
 

Kimmy

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Joined
Feb 2, 2009
Messages
125
I complained about the clarity of the diamonds and was offered the option of an exchange for a 3 ctw pair of SI1s or a 4 ctw of Si2/3/I1s. Do you think I should try an exchange rather than invest in a recut or keep the pair I have and send them off to BGD? I only have about a day to decide.

I really appreciate all of the help!
 

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Mar 15, 2011
Messages
544
are the new ones certified? If so ask to see copies of the certificates.
 

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 16, 2007
Messages
24,364
Wellll.... what is your goal in all of this? Your priority? BIG earrings? You likely won't do better than what you have in terms of BIIIG earrings for your budget. I don't think I would try for an exchange, personally, because without certs you don't actually know if you are getting anything better.

Can you return them? For the price you would pay for the stones and recut and new settings, you could get a decent pair of well cut diamonds in a bezel with an upgrade policy. They won't be 3.5cttw, but they would be stunning I bet. ID Jewelry offers ridiculously good prices, and if you go uncerted from IDJ (which I would trust much more than a random company) you could likely get quite large rocks for your budget/
 

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 3, 2004
Messages
32,110
Kimmy|1306863701|2934575 said:
I complained about the clarity of the diamonds and was offered the option of an exchange for a 3 ctw pair of SI1s or a 4 ctw of Si2/3/I1s. Do you think I should try an exchange rather than invest in a recut or keep the pair I have and send them off to BGD? I only have about a day to decide.

I really appreciate all of the help!
get a refund :!:
 

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 16, 2007
Messages
24,364
And for earrings clarity doesn't matter much to me since viewing distance is like, 12 inches at the closest usually. So as long as eye clean at that distance its aokay. CUT quality matter much more.
 

Kimmy

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Joined
Feb 2, 2009
Messages
125
I have the option of returning them, but I was also told I could do a return if I didn't like the second set of diamonds. I had a very nice pair of 2 ctw studs, but sold them because they weren't big enough for me. I really don't want to to go below 3 ctw on this set. I'm told that the potential exchange 3 ctw set is entirely eye clean, but who knows about the cut. If I keep these and spend $1300 having BGD recut them I could end up with a very well cut pair of 3+ ctw studs for $5800, of course the clarity still won't be great. Even a set of EGL M/SI2 stones will cost over $6,500.
 

Kimmy

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Joined
Feb 2, 2009
Messages
125
I just e-mailed ID Jewelry with my preferences (great cut, eye clean, J color or better, uncertified ok, fluorescence ok, $6k budget). They said they would see what they can find. Great suggestion! I wasn't supposed to be buying any jewelry for a while. I literally have 6 friends getting married in the next couple of months and things didn't work out with the guy I thought I was going to marry (we had been ring shopping)... I have some serious bling envy! I bought fabulous 3 ctw studs a few years ago and my ex convinced me to return them. I've regretted it ever since :(sad
 

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 3, 2004
Messages
32,110
Kimmy|1306867029|2934609 said:
I have the option of returning them, but I was also told I could do a return if I didn't like the second set of diamonds. I had a very nice pair of 2 ctw studs, but sold them because they weren't big enough for me. I really don't want to to go below 3 ctw on this set. I'm told that the potential exchange 3 ctw set is entirely eye clean, but who knows about the cut. If I keep these and spend $1300 having BGD recut them I could end up with a very well cut pair of 3+ ctw studs for $5800, of course the clarity still won't be great. Even a set of EGL M/SI2 stones will cost over $6,500.
with a $5800 budget i'd shoot for a pair of .75ct I SI1 H&A stones.
 

Kimmy

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Joined
Feb 2, 2009
Messages
125
Dancing Fire|1306869011|2934633 said:
Kimmy|1306867029|2934609 said:
I have the option of returning them, but I was also told I could do a return if I didn't like the second set of diamonds. I had a very nice pair of 2 ctw studs, but sold them because they weren't big enough for me. I really don't want to to go below 3 ctw on this set. I'm told that the potential exchange 3 ctw set is entirely eye clean, but who knows about the cut. If I keep these and spend $1300 having BGD recut them I could end up with a very well cut pair of 3+ ctw studs for $5800, of course the clarity still won't be great. Even a set of EGL M/SI2 stones will cost over $6,500.
with a $5800 budget i'd shoot for a pair of .75ct I SI1 H&A stones.
I think most posters would agree with your preference, but I'm really after size on this purchase. I have a quality (VS, colorless, beautiful cut) pair of 1 ctw studs that I'll never sell/trade for sentimental reasons. I sold a pair of 2 ctw studs because they weren't big enough so I feel like a 1.5 ctw pair is just really not going to be the right fit for me. 3 ctw pair I returned a few years ago was perfect so that's really the size I'm stuck on. I actually like fluorescence and I don't mind warm colors. For this particular purchase I really only care about size and cut.
 

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 3, 2004
Messages
32,110
Kimmy|1306870757|2934650 said:
Dancing Fire|1306869011|2934633 said:
Kimmy|1306867029|2934609 said:
I have the option of returning them, but I was also told I could do a return if I didn't like the second set of diamonds. I had a very nice pair of 2 ctw studs, but sold them because they weren't big enough for me. I really don't want to to go below 3 ctw on this set. I'm told that the potential exchange 3 ctw set is entirely eye clean, but who knows about the cut. If I keep these and spend $1300 having BGD recut them I could end up with a very well cut pair of 3+ ctw studs for $5800, of course the clarity still won't be great. Even a set of EGL M/SI2 stones will cost over $6,500.
with a $5800 budget i'd shoot for a pair of .75ct I SI1 H&A stones.
I think most posters would agree with your preference, but I'm really after size on this purchase. I have a quality (VS, colorless, beautiful cut) pair of 1 ctw studs that I'll never sell/trade for sentimental reasons. I sold a pair of 2 ctw studs because they weren't big enough so I feel like a 1.5 ctw pair is just really not going to be the right fit for me. 3 ctw pair I returned a few years ago was perfect so that's really the size I'm stuck on. I actually like fluorescence and I don't mind warm colors. For this particular purchase I really only care about size and cut.
hate to tell ya,but your not gonna find a well cut 1.5ct for $3k.
 

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 16, 2007
Messages
24,364
Nothing wrong with having priorities. You want the cut to be "good enough" though. There is really little point to poorly cut diamonds in my opinion -- it is just a waste of money if diamonds don't do what they are supposed to do, which is sparkle and shine! If budget is too small and size is your priority, and you cannot get where you want with a natural gem then I would not buy diamonds at all and instead look into your other options (can't discuss on PS, but you probably know what I mean).

Or put the whole budget into a right hand ring that you can see and enjoy ;)) Now that is fun and you could get a pretty large diamond, J Si2, with very strone blue flour for your budget.

See what ID can come up with. I don't think you will get the size you want though, but maybe with high quality non-certed stones (basically just big melee) you could get nicer cut.
 

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 16, 2007
Messages
24,364
Dancing Fire|1306871271|2934655 said:
Kimmy|1306870757|2934650 said:
Dancing Fire|1306869011|2934633 said:
Kimmy|1306867029|2934609 said:
I have the option of returning them, but I was also told I could do a return if I didn't like the second set of diamonds. I had a very nice pair of 2 ctw studs, but sold them because they weren't big enough for me. I really don't want to to go below 3 ctw on this set. I'm told that the potential exchange 3 ctw set is entirely eye clean, but who knows about the cut. If I keep these and spend $1300 having BGD recut them I could end up with a very well cut pair of 3+ ctw studs for $5800, of course the clarity still won't be great. Even a set of EGL M/SI2 stones will cost over $6,500.
with a $5800 budget i'd shoot for a pair of .75ct I SI1 H&A stones.
I think most posters would agree with your preference, but I'm really after size on this purchase. I have a quality (VS, colorless, beautiful cut) pair of 1 ctw studs that I'll never sell/trade for sentimental reasons. I sold a pair of 2 ctw studs because they weren't big enough so I feel like a 1.5 ctw pair is just really not going to be the right fit for me. 3 ctw pair I returned a few years ago was perfect so that's really the size I'm stuck on. I actually like fluorescence and I don't mind warm colors. For this particular purchase I really only care about size and cut.
hate to tell ya,but your not gonna find a well cut 1.5ct for $3k.
This is probably true. The best bet might be on the secondary market, but cut is a crap shoot, even if you are not looking for top-top and just want good-good.
 

Kimmy

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Joined
Feb 2, 2009
Messages
125
^ You're probably right which is why I'm thinking maybe my best option is to keep the pair of 1.85 stones I have and let BGD cut them? Even if he has to take .35 off of each stone to get a desirable cut they still might be better than anything else I could find for the price. I looked at a pair of J VS stones that I liked for $7800, but that's a big price jump from my original $4500.
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
55,816
I think since size is your highest priority, you need to keep the ones you have and don't put more money into them. They are either clarity enhanced or I1-I2 and a lower color at that price. They wouldn't sell them for that if they were worth $25k, I promise. My .75 each, H VS2 pair cost $6000 a couple of years ago, but top cut quality and good quality stones was my highest priority. If I wanted more size, my absolute limit would be J S11, but I'd still have to have excellent cut. And $13,700 is what ONE 1.7 J SI1 costs!

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2561974.htm

You can always get an appraisal on the stones during your return period to find out exactly what you have. But stones that size don't sell uncertified if they are good stones. A recut might not help them at all if they have clouds, etc.
 

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Mar 15, 2011
Messages
544
Why not get something to "bling up" your 1 ct. studs? Like halo jackets:
http://www.whiteflash.com/diamond-earrings/diamond-earring-jackets-ready-set-to-go-24.htm

or something like these flower cluster earrings (similar to Tiffany's)- I think they are so nice looking as an alternative to studs and obviously much cheaper:
http://www.whiteflash.com/diamond-earrings/flower-cluster-diamond-earrings-ready-set-to-go-875.htm

With a $5K budget you can get pretty nice big ones of the flower cluster ones that will be plenty blingy.
 

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Apr 3, 2004
Messages
32,110
Kimmy|1306871904|2934663 said:
^ You're probably right which is why I'm thinking maybe my best option is to keep the pair of 1.85 stones I have and let BGD cut them? Even if he has to take .35 off of each stone to get a desirable cut they still might be better than anything else I could find for the price. I looked at a pair of J VS stones that I liked for $7800, but that's a big price jump from my original $4500.
don't waste your money... ::)
 

Kimmy

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Joined
Feb 2, 2009
Messages
125
Honestly, all of these responses have really helped me. I think I'll return the current stones and just wait until I have a little more to spend on what I want. I love the size, but the stones are lifeless. The 3 ctw I had a few years ago were independently appraised as excellent cut, L, VS and I loved them (the warmth wasn't bad). I really wish I had kept them.
 

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 11, 2006
Messages
55,816
Yes, poor cut and clarity can make diamonds look lifeless. So I think you are doing absolutely the right thing to wait and get better quality. The vendors many of us deal with on the forum have upgrade policies, so if someone starts out with smaller stones, they can upgrade every few years until the end up with the size they really want.
 

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 14, 2009
Messages
20,775

Kimmy

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Joined
Feb 2, 2009
Messages
125
Yssie|1306879142|2934761 said:
I think you're making the right call by returning them - 5k in absolute terms is really a lot of money, and decent cut can only make up for truly awful clarity so much!

3ctw EGL-I 8.9k http://cgi.ebay.com/3-08-ct-EGL-J-VS2-heart-arrows-diamond-stud-18k-gold-/370507683014?pt=US_Fine_Earrings&hash=item5643fa94c6

Or perhaps investigate clarity enhanced stones

Too funny! I've actually already been in contact with the seller about these diamonds. I think I'm in love :love:
 

Kimmy

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Joined
Feb 2, 2009
Messages
125
I'm actually going to buy those 3.08 J VS earrings. We've agreed on a reasonable price. I'm spending over my budget, but I think it's worth it if I don't have to upgrade later. I think I'm going to get rid of some things I don't wear to make up for the big expense. I just want some thoughts before I go through with the purchase...?
 
Be a part of the community It's free, join today!
    August Birthstones: Peridot And Sardonyx
    August Birthstones: Peridot And Sardonyx
    The Original: Princess Raiyah Of Jordan
    The Original: Princess Raiyah Of Jordan
    Celebratory Engagement Ring Upgrade And Bracelet
    Celebratory Engagement Ring Upgrade And Bracelet

Need Something Special?

Get a quote from multiple trusted and vetted jewelers.

Holloway Cut Advisor



Diamond Eye Candy

Click to view full-size image.
Top