shape
carat
color
clarity

Thoughts on a Recut

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1306872013|2934664 said:
I think since size is your highest priority, you need to keep the ones you have and don't put more money into them. They are either clarity enhanced or I1-I2 and a lower color at that price. They wouldn't sell them for that if they were worth $25k, I promise. My .75 each, H VS2 pair cost $6000 a couple of years ago, but top cut quality and good quality stones was my highest priority. If I wanted more size, my absolute limit would be J S11, but I'd still have to have excellent cut. And $13,700 is what ONE 1.7 J SI1 costs!

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2561974.htm

You can always get an appraisal on the stones during your return period to find out exactly what you have. But stones that size don't sell uncertified if they are good stones. A recut might not help them at all if they have clouds, etc.

Fully agree with diamondseeker. This vendor has more than one set of large stones to sell. He knows what he's doing. My hunch - clarity enhanced and/or treated.

I don't think any reputable cutter will touch a non-eye clean, treated stone for a recut. Send them back if you don't like them.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Clearly I am not an auction type, I was under the impression the stones she bought were secondary market. If not, then the OPs are spot on to suggest they must be clarity enhanced or monkeyed with in some way because the price is just so low. I even wondered if they are real?

The ones Yssie posted are likely a good bed, but keep in mind they are likely more like K/L color and SI2 for the price (EGL is loose). If you are ok with that...

If I was spending 10k I would not go that route and would get a 1.5ct J Si1 solitaire to enjoy and buy a second one in a few years. Much better use of 10k IMO.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
IF the diamonds aren't clarity enhanced or whatever, even including the price of a recut it's a good deal - can you take them to a local appraiser and get them to look at them? Maybe get it narrowed down if they are deep or shallow... if they're deep you're likely not to lose much visual size in a recut, but if they're shallow you may.

I vote to get more facts before you make a decision.

Kimmy

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I decided to pull the trigger on the 3.08 J/VS EGL studs. I had been in communication with the seller before I purchased the other pair for $4,500, but the price was steeper than I had wanted to spend. The $4,500 pair was probably a great deal if a recut had gone well, but I just didn't send them to BGD only to find out they weren't recut candidates (and miss the return period) and I thought exchanging them would just be another gamble. I could see it being a big hassle and I might still end up with dark stones (don't know how much of the issue was clarity and how much was cut). I ended up getting the 3.08 EGL studs for a great price and I discovered the seller is actually the same jeweler I purchased my original 3 ctw studs from a few years ago (the ones I regret returning). I figure the color will be more like K/L, but because of my past experience with this seller I am fairly confidant the stones will be eye clean and very well cut. I'm mad at myself for spending so much, but I'm excited about my purchase. I've been really wanting 3 ctw studs for years. It sounds silly, but I have a fear of buying myself a diamond solitaire ring before I'm engaged (don't want to scare any eligible bachelors off) and a solitaire pendant is too noticeable. I have long hair so if I don't want people to see my sizable studs I just put my hair down. I have a 2.3 ct yellow diamond I've had sitting around for a year and I'll eventually set as a pendant (I can always tell people it's a sapphire). Sad that I have to hide my beauties from people... maybe I should start posting here more?

bethprov

Shiny_Rock
aww don't hide your beauties :(( You know, i have a friend who has a very wealthy husband who gave her a really beautiful 2 ct engagement ring with 1 ct. side stones that she picked out. Where we live that is really out of the ordinary but for her husband, it was very much within his budget. She is so self conscious about it and sometimes won't wear it. I feel bad because the thing is, its what she really wanted and they have the means to afford it so why not? If you want a beautiful solitaire pendant and kick butt earrings, go for it! I can understand if you are worried that if might make someone feel intimidated by you but I can't help but think that if that is enough to scare someone away from getting to know you or causes someone to judge you, then they might not be someone you want around anyway. It would be a shame to have such beautiful pieces and not get to enjoy them.

Kimmy

Shiny_Rock
Trade
bethprov|1306969621|2935736 said:
aww don't hide your beauties :(( You know, i have a friend who has a very wealthy husband who gave her a really beautiful 2 ct engagement ring with 1 ct. side stones that she picked out. Where we live that is really out of the ordinary but for her husband, it was very much within his budget. She is so self conscious about it and sometimes won't wear it. I feel bad because the thing is, its what she really wanted and they have the means to afford it so why not? If you want a beautiful solitaire pendant and kick butt earrings, go for it! I can understand if you are worried that if might make someone feel intimidated by you but I can't help but think that if that is enough to scare someone away from getting to know you or causes someone to judge you, then they might not be someone you want around anyway. It would be a shame to have such beautiful pieces and not get to enjoy them.

I'm single and quite young. I'm not wealthy, I just work hard and prioritize. For me handbags (don't need anymore), watches (love the ones I have), and diamonds give me more joy than other things. I live frivolously and never have a chance to vacation so I save up and buy things that I will have for many years and can give to future generations. Unfortunately, when I wear my beauties people (especially family members) treat me as if I throw money around and then expect me to pay for more than my share of things. My brother spends his money on intangible things and is therefore judged as in need of financial assistance. I just downgraded my car because I got sick of spending a ton on the maintenance of a luxury SUV + $160 per tank of gas so I have a little slush fund right now. To fund this purchase without killing my bank account I'll probably sell the Rolex I never wear. When it comes to dating, I find that a lot of men are intimidated when I wear my expensive things and will comment that they can't afford me. On the flip side, my ex expected me to buy him similarly expensive things (even though he made more than me).

bethprov

Shiny_Rock
Kimmy|1306972615|2935783 said:
bethprov|1306969621|2935736 said:

I'm single and quite young. I'm not wealthy, I just work hard and prioritize. For me handbags (don't need anymore), watches (love the ones I have), and diamonds give me more joy than other things. I live frivolously and never have a chance to vacation so I save up and buy things that I will have for many years and can give to future generations. Unfortunately, when I wear my beauties people (especially family members) treat me as if I throw money around and then expect me to pay for more than my share of things. My brother spends his money on intangible things and is therefore judged as in need of financial assistance. I just downgraded my car because I got sick of spending a ton on the maintenance of a luxury SUV + $160 per tank of gas so I have a little slush fund right now. To fund this purchase without killing my bank account I'll probably sell the Rolex I never wear. When it comes to dating, I find that a lot of men are intimidated when I wear my expensive things and will comment that they can't afford me. On the flip side, my ex expected me to buy him similarly expensive things (even though he made more than me).

Yuck! Sounds like you do work hard and don't have any responsibilities to anyone else (whether family has some unrealistic expectations or not) and you should enjoy your life the way you want. Those guys that have expectations of being taken care of are definitely not the ones you want to keep around in my opinion. The bottom line is, only you can decide how you want to spend your money and if you aren't hurting yourself or anyone else, then no one should have a say about it. I completely understand how you feel about your family. Although I am by no means wealthy, what I do have I usually spend on my kids education and whatever they need. My family also assumes they can ask things of me (like for a down payment on a car, rent etc) because they misinterpret how much I have. I think they forget that I put myself through school and therefore have a lot of student loans and my job happens to put me in a social circle of people who do very well for themselves. Anyway, without getting too off topic, "you do you" and if someone wants to judge you then they don't need to be part of your life! I truly believe, even though it sounds cliche, that when you don't worry about having the husband or partner etc. that everyone expects you to have and start to focus on what it is in life you want, how your are going to get it and start making your way for yourself and live truthfully in who you are, the people that are worth keeping around will start to come into your life. If you want diamonds and you can do that for yourself without jeopardizing the necessities in your life, then have them and wear them proudly :bigsmile:

Kimmy

Shiny_Rock
Trade
^ Thank goodness for pricescopers who understand! I just realized I wrote that I live frivolously when I mean to say I DON'T. Haha. I actually pinch pennies and stay in a lot. I pay all of my bills on time and don't have a tremendous amount of debt. I only buy things I truly cherish! I currently have a roommate so my living expenses are pretty minimal, I don't have a car payment, and my tiny dog doesn't eat much. I think I'll probably set my yellow diamond in a simple bezel and then just enjoy what I have for quite a while. I don't like changing my daily jewelry very often so once I have a set I'm happy with I'll stick with it. I don't know why I've spent so long lurking and not posting. I'll definitely post shots of my new earrings when they arrive :love: Maybe I'll get lucky and eventually find a mate who enjoys buying jewelry?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kimmy, you are perfect for PriceScope! Most of us come here because people in our real lives don't care that much about jewelry! And many of us do prefer spending our extra money on jewelry as opposed to cars and other luxury items.

I hope you do find someone who loves buying you jewelry! But take my word for it, you need to establish early on that you get to pick them out! ;))

bethprov

Shiny_Rock
yes, post those pics and wear your beauties!!!!!

Kimmy

Shiny_Rock
Trade
New studs are here :appl:

I think I have DSS already... yikes!

Here are my 1ctw studs for comparison
IMG_1050.jpg

New studs
photo%202_3.png

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! No way you could have DSS with those! They are huge and beautiful! Hope you enjoy them! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Kimmy

Shiny_Rock
Trade
diamondseeker2006|1308145804|2946515 said:
Wow! No way you could have DSS with those! They are huge and beautiful! Hope you enjoy them! :appl: :appl: :appl:

Thank you! I'm really happy with my purchase. They're certainly warmer than my 1ctw studs, but they face up pretty white when they aren't next to my colorless studs. They're a much better cut than the pair I returned... so glad I didn't keep the cheaper pair! Both diamonds are completely eye clean and even with my loop I couldn't easily find anything. I feel like a got a great deal :love:

3ctw seems to be a great everyday size on me... I think I have really big ear lobes (that will always be my upgrade excuse). Hehe
photo%204.png

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a beautiful picture! I agree that the size works great on your ears!

bethprov

Shiny_Rock
ohhh very nice! The size is great for your ear, good choice!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honestly, the size is great and looks perfect on your ears, I really would not go any bigger at all. And for earrings, lower color is just fine in my book!

Kimmy

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Thank you all! I'm so much happier with this pair than the ones I returned. I'm glad I didn't try to do an exchange. The warmth keeps the earrings from looking like CZs. My lobes really are huge! There is still so much space. Haha. I think this size is perfect for everyday wear with some bling too it. I'm considering having rose gold 8 prong martini settings made... thoughts? I've always wanted 8 prong martinis and rose gold is sort of my signature. I might have a matching pendant made with another stone I have sitting around. How will the pink gold look with the warmer diamonds?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results