carat
color
clarity

Thoughts about CHAZ in Seattle?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
liberals!
Correct!... :clap: . Now for the $1 million 1st prize ...

What does the top 15 dangerous city in the US have in common?

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I find it puzzling that some of you are so determined to make CHOP (Capitol Hill Organized Protest) into something way bigger than it is. Even Fox, last night, had a reporter on site who said that there was one incident with that one guy and one burglary outside the CHOP zone but it was otherwise peaceful with no incidents. The Fox broadcaster (young and blond of course) blinked a couple of times, thanked him for his report, and then they ran that same video again. I had to laugh at how hard they're trying to push a narrative. Today, the Seattle Times reported police were able to move the barriers peacefully so that emergency and delivery vehicles could more easily get in. They'd been let in before, but now it would be easier. Again, no incident of any kind.

Is it annoying for some of the residents? Sure it is. Democracy can be messy. So why is it okay for them to take over the area in front of the police precinct as a form of protest? Because nothing else has worked. The Seattle PD has been under a federal consent decree for years because of their use of excessive force and racial bias in its policing. The City was in the process of asking to end the federal supervision because of progress they thought had been made. But when they saw the violent reaction of the SPD during the protests, the City of Seattle withdrew its application because it was clear there were still a lot of problems. It took the protests and CHOP to get the city to ban chokeholds. And discussions are ongoing with the city about other police practices and issues in a way that hasn't been true before. Sometimes it takes more drastic measures to be heard.

I doubt what I've said is going to change your minds or your need to get all worked up about CHOP so I'll leave you to your ongoing efforts to blow it out of proportion. Enjoy.

Those who don’t truly want to change the status quo will find any BS excuse to vilify those who do. They did it to Martin Luther King, they did it to Kaepernick, and they’ll keep doing it to whoever comes next.

I know you know that, but too many other people here will keep denying it. It bears repeating that for anyone who is more outraged about the conduct of protestors than about Black people being murdered by police, you’re emphasizing the wrong thing.

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
As an outside (non US) observer as such this is an interesting situation overall and I've read many varied articles recently - some with a slightly different view such as this one war-on-the-past and whilst the intention of BLM is good; as quoted below - taking over part/s of a city and denying legal access to citizens is a dangerous line to cross... sorta like a non-military coup?

It’s the UNlawful commandeering of public property & services, denial of access to that property/service to citizens (which they pay for), and the extortion of established businesses for mafia-like ‘protection’ in order to continue operating in their legally owned/rented spaces that I object to.

For example one of their demands is "Only black doctors and nurses should be employed specifically to care for black patients.” That is not OK either. What they are asking for is segregation then. We should be moving forward enacting change for the better not going backwards.

Also this is deeply disturbing and frankly unhelpful. It would be considered completely racist/offensive to demand the opposite!? How about just giving more scholarships to medical school instead?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
As an outside (non US) observer as such this is an interesting situation overall and I've read many varied articles recently - some with a slightly different view such as this one war-on-the-past and whilst the intention of BLM is good; as quoted below - taking over part/s of a city and denying legal access to citizens is a dangerous line to cross... sorta like a non-military coup?

Also this is deeply disturbing and frankly unhelpful. It would be considered completely racist/offensive to demand the opposite!? How about just giving more scholarships to medical school instead?

Exactly. Unreasonable demands do nothing to further the cause. IMO.

Education is one of the (if not THE) answers indeed. Education is critical.
This quote is so true.

education.jpg

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sad that in this day and time that our Governor/Mayor/PD just let them take over the area. Never should have happened, now they have set a precedent. And the list of demands, don't even get me started. I can't tolerate this crap anymore.

Last edited:

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those who don’t truly want to change the status quo will find any BS excuse to vilify those who do. They did it to Martin Luther King, they did it to Kaepernick, and they’ll keep doing it to whoever comes next.

I know you know that, but too many other people here will keep denying it. It bears repeating that for anyone who is more outraged about the conduct of protestors than about Black people being murdered by police, you’re emphasizing the wrong thing.

The fact that forum members here continue to refer to black people as “blacks” in 2020 is pretty crazy.

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
The fact that forum members here continue to refer to black people as “blacks” in 2020 is pretty crazy.

I have always referred to blacks and whites. What is wrong with that? Is there a new name now?
I have been through several corrections in my life. I don't mind being respectful, but at times it's confusing to know there has been a rule change when the memo never made it to my desk.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

???

I'm black. I refer to myself as black. I'm not African, I was born in the United States and like many blacks born here, we're mostly Heinz 57's.

As James Brown once said, Say it Loud, I'm Black and I'm Proud.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
???

I'm black. I refer to myself as black. I'm not African, I was born in the United States and like many blacks born here, we're mostly Heinz 57's.

As James Brown once said, Say it Loud, I'm Black and I'm Proud.

I’m talking about just saying “blacks” in reference to black people. If it doesn’t bother you personally, that is fine, I have had several friends who have expressed that THEY (being black) do not enjoy being called “blacks” or “the blacks.” If people I know and trust are telling me something makes them feel a certain way, I am absolutely going to listen to that, I am not here to tell you how to feel about it.

Last edited:

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@OreoRosies86 I would love to just be able to say Americans or Euros or Africans, I'm white, I'm in the majority in our country, we have a huge problem with black Americans and the police, especially black kids, we need change, we need it NOW. I mean no disrespect to Black Americans if I say Blacks.. I wonder if people understand why Blacks are black and we are lighter.. We all came from the original "lucy", The only difference between blacks and whites is the addition of Neanderthal DNA, but Neanderthals were not a different species they were the first (at this time it is the belief) out of Africa, they too were descended from "lucy".. I'd love to expand on why there are no differences in blacks and whites because I found it fascinating over the years I've read about the origins of us the hominids, all of us in the world. Climate is all encompassing on how we look as we evolved.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m talking about just saying “blacks” in reference to black people. If it doesn’t bother you personally, that is fine, I have had several friends who have expressed that THEY (being black) do not enjoy being called “blacks” or “the blacks.” If people I know and trust are telling me something makes them feel a certain way, I am absolutely going to listen to that, I am not here to tell you how to feel about it.

Thats like saying white people are offended by being called white. Maybe we should call them peach.

Listen, in this day people are offended by everything.

I'm American period. If you had to put a name to it, then Black American.

I'm not African, and do not identify as African anything. And there are Americans who identify as African American who are peach colored and some that are dark as night. There are also people who are offended by being called African anything, when they consider themselves not to be.

So please call your friends whatever makes sense for them and what they're comfortable with. I'm not going to get in someone's ass about saying "black americans" when thats factually true. American Blacks have a very diverse background, they are however, just born here.

I do get sick of people stiring shit up where there's no reason to. this is one of those things.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you remember Kent state? do you want American police and NG shooting American youth and reformers? it was a horrible time. Instead of Law and Order why not immerse yourself in Black American History? read all the stories of WHAT white privilege allows White Americans to have, how Black Americans have suffered immensely, over and over as it was overt and now it's covert.. Instead of wanting these reformers to be blasted with tear gas, pepper spray, guys/gals who look like gestapo agents, why not join them? Why not listen and try to feel what a black youth feels every day he walks down the street? I don't think ANY white person can really understand what covert racism is, what it does to the health of blacks, and what WE as a country need to do to change it.

Tiananmen Square? let's not let that happen here. We are better than what we are now.

Sad that in this day and time that our Governor/Mayor/PD just let them take over the area. Never should have happened, now they have set a precedent. And the list of demands, don't even get me started. I can't tolerate this crap anymore.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
For me this is about education as Missy has said.. The reason WHY blacks feel they want black doctors and nurses is covered in this report, please read it, it's enlightening.

They get subpar healthcare.

I'm white, I get good care always have. But the pervasive discrimination against blacks is so ingrained in American society it's really hard to wrap one's head around it.

Q

Queenie60

Thats like saying white people are offended by being called white. Maybe we should call them peach.

Listen, in this day people are offended by everything.

I'm American period. If you had to put a name to it, then Black American.

I'm not African, and do not identify as African anything. And there are Americans who identify as African American who are peach colored and some that are dark as night. There are also people who are offended by being called African anything, when they consider themselves not to be.

So please call your friends whatever makes sense for them and what they're comfortable with. I'm not going to get in someone's ass about saying "black americans" when thats factually true. American Blacks have a very diverse background, they are however, just born here.

I do get sick of people stiring shit up where there's no reason to. this is one of those things.

Very well said, and I thank you

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do you remember Kent state? do you want American police and NG shooting American youth and reformers? it was a horrible time. Instead of Law and Order why not immerse yourself in Black American History? read all the stories of WHAT white privilege allows White Americans to have, how Black Americans have suffered immensely, over and over as it was overt and now it's covert.. Instead of wanting these reformers to be blasted with tear gas, pepper spray, guys/gals who look like gestapo agents, why not join them? Why not listen and try to feel what a black youth feels every day he walks down the street? I don't think ANY white person can really understand what covert racism is, what it does to the health of blacks, and what WE as a country need to do to change it.

Tiananmen Square? let's not let that happen here. We are better than what we are now.

Yes I do, as I am from Ohio. I do not believe ANYONE (white, black, yellow, etc.) has the right to take over an area for their protest. Protest all you want, that's up to you, but you don't have to right to take over an area like this. The governor/mayor/PD need to take back the area NOW. I will not throw LAW and ORDER out the window.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, we differ, you are law and order, a black and white view but often republicans feel this way (not sayin you are but most pubs are)..

So it's about law and order all the way, how do you propose we as America fix this HUGE racism we have, why hasn't changed? covert racism is a hard nut to crack...

I find many laws are restrictive and hurtful personally.

Yes I do, as I am from Ohio. I do not believe ANYONE (white, black, yellow, etc.) has the right to take over an area for their protest. Protest all you want, that's up to you, but you don't have to right to take over an area like this. The governor/mayor/PD need to take back the area NOW. I will not throw LAW and ORDER out the window.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
It's definitely drawing attention to the topic of race. However, I think it looks like a hippie circus. Is that helping people who feel that they are not being treated with respect and equality? I think it's distracting from the message.

Taking over city blocks are attention seeking behaviors by the immature and people weaned on social media. I have no doubt there is a sincere wish to help at the core of the action, but it's so poorly planned and silly that I hold absolutely no hope in anything productive coming from such mayhem (besides cool festival gear and new COVID infections).

It draws attention but it doesnt heal. It doesnt bring people into the fold that are not already in the fold, and tends to give ammunition to people who already are a hard sell. In short, it's divisive and harmful.

I think it should play out, but meanwhile, we should do what we can in our small world to love and heal each other and step up when someone needs a champion behind closed doors.This means uncomfortable conversations based in love with people who you hold opposing points of view. Hate does not cancel hate. It's hard work.

Musia

Brilliant_Rock

I am not sure...I asked my husband and he said that their mayors are all democrats. But I personally don't believe that any republican mayor is a good mayor and his/her city is clean, happy and safe. I was surprised to learn that San Jose is relatively safe (in top 10). Its mayor is democrat. I live near San Jose and never liked this city. Can't imagine what is going on in the top dangerous cities. Oakland, CA is #10. Mayor is white lady, democrat, not very old (1 year younger than me). I guess 1st prize is not mine:((

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A friend was in tears yesterday after some woman she didn't know called her a "born racist" and went on about how all white people are racist and just the act of buying coffee at Starbucks (they were IN a Starbucks when this happened) proved she is racist. My friend is a wonderful, welcoming, respectful woman who has worked hard and been promoted because she is so welcoming and respectful of every person (including in a setting that had her interacting with people of all backgrounds from around the world) and every life. She is always active in working for right of groups in need. She was devastated. Because of her skin color, someone thought they could make assumptions.

We need to quit lumping people into a group and making assumptions about them. Some people prefer to be called black. Some prefer African American. Some prefer black American. Some would rather just be called by their own name and not called anything in relation to skin. We need to recognize that not every person with pale skin is from the US or even isn't from Africa. It is possible to recognize that people are unique and that we need to fix serious issues, we don't need to go making other issues. I will absolutely fight for police, doctors, teacher, and others to address the problems that exist but I refuse to get sucked into this new trend of defining each person as their skin color

Yes, I am white. No, I am not guilty because of that. I have been discriminated against. Not only did I not call out the people who did it, my thoughts were those of understanding and respect -- the people involved were more comfortable speaking their native language or in another case were meeting up to work on black pride events so easier to just be a group without me since they were already meeting. I guarantee if it had been me and other white people excluding, there would have been problems. To this day, I still choose to give the benefit of understanding and respecting what those involved felt comfortable with. I have walked through the halls of a local company and heard people actively discussing how to get the "white guy" to quit since they didn't want that sort of person around. I have been told that whites are too lazy and unskilled to do the work DH does so of course my husband was unemployed. (This was followed by a hate filled talk about how disgusting it is seeing her kids play with white kids and looking forward to going home before they get tainted.) I have had doctors blow me off and make things worse -- because I am white or low class or just a woman? Who knows. I have even had people comment that they can't believe I am cooking whatever dish because "white people don't have the patience to cook that" -- which was still shocking despite being at a technology meet up and having some woman accuse DH of lying about speaking different languages because "white people don't learn other languages" so he must be lying. I smiled and explained why it was that each of several awesome summer programs she wanted to do weren't available to her (friends were going) because she is white and the programs are meant to help those of different backgrounds who may not have had the advantages she did -- despite the fact that her friends who were going had far more advantage than we could even dream of giving her.

After all that... After experiencing all sorts of discrimination through my life and working hard to prove that I was capable too. After fighting to make sure that no one was ever made uncomfortable by my assuming anything. After speaking up on the (rare) occasion anyone said anything that was racist. After accepting without question the programs that helped others based on nothing but skin color. After all that and so much more, people have been saying that I am a racist because I am white and I don't like that some people have chosen to break the laws and, worse, disrespect others based on nothing but an assumption based on superficial observation.

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
All that to say that things have gone too far. We need to bring basic respect for others back. Saying all blacks this or that is no more accurate than saying all whites this or that or all women/men this or that.

Q

Queenie60

A friend was in tears yesterday after some woman she didn't know called her a "born racist" and went on about how all white people are racist and just the act of buying coffee at Starbucks (they were IN a Starbucks when this happened) proved she is racist. My friend is a wonderful, welcoming, respectful woman who has worked hard and been promoted because she is so welcoming and respectful of every person (including in a setting that had her interacting with people of all backgrounds from around the world) and every life. She is always active in working for right of groups in need. She was devastated. Because of her skin color, someone thought they could make assumptions.

We need to quit lumping people into a group and making assumptions about them. Some people prefer to be called black. Some prefer African American. Some prefer black American. Some would rather just be called by their own name and not called anything in relation to skin. We need to recognize that not every person with pale skin is from the US or even isn't from Africa. It is possible to recognize that people are unique and that we need to fix serious issues, we don't need to go making other issues. I will absolutely fight for police, doctors, teacher, and others to address the problems that exist but I refuse to get sucked into this new trend of defining each person as their skin color

Yes, I am white. No, I am not guilty because of that. I have been discriminated against. Not only did I not call out the people who did it, my thoughts were those of understanding and respect -- the people involved were more comfortable speaking their native language or in another case were meeting up to work on black pride events so easier to just be a group without me since they were already meeting. I guarantee if it had been me and other white people excluding, there would have been problems. To this day, I still choose to give the benefit of understanding and respecting what those involved felt comfortable with. I have walked through the halls of a local company and heard people actively discussing how to get the "white guy" to quit since they didn't want that sort of person around. I have been told that whites are too lazy and unskilled to do the work DH does so of course my husband was unemployed. (This was followed by a hate filled talk about how disgusting it is seeing her kids play with white kids and looking forward to going home before they get tainted.) I have had doctors blow me off and make things worse -- because I am white or low class or just a woman? Who knows. I have even had people comment that they can't believe I am cooking whatever dish because "white people don't have the patience to cook that" -- which was still shocking despite being at a technology meet up and having some woman accuse DH of lying about speaking different languages because "white people don't learn other languages" so he must be lying. I smiled and explained why it was that each of several awesome summer programs she wanted to do weren't available to her (friends were going) because she is white and the programs are meant to help those of different backgrounds who may not have had the advantages she did -- despite the fact that her friends who were going had far more advantage than we could even dream of giving her.

After all that... After experiencing all sorts of discrimination through my life and working hard to prove that I was capable too. After fighting to make sure that no one was ever made uncomfortable by my assuming anything. After speaking up on the (rare) occasion anyone said anything that was racist. After accepting without question the programs that helped others based on nothing but skin color. After all that and so much more, people have been saying that I am a racist because I am white and I don't like that some people have chosen to break the laws and, worse, disrespect others based on nothing but an assumption based on superficial observation.

Well said - I too have been discriminated against for being "white" - little do they know, I am 50% hispanic with fair skin!

autumngems

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, we differ, you are law and order, a black and white view but often republicans feel this way (not sayin you are but most pubs are)..

So it's about law and order all the way, how do you propose we as America fix this HUGE racism we have, why hasn't changed? covert racism is a hard nut to crack...

I find many laws are restrictive and hurtful personally.

Without laws we are nothing. You don't have to break the law to be heard and make changes, that's just an excuse.

I agree we differ

Musia

Brilliant_Rock

Second guess (I want my 1 million prize). Their mayors are fare left liberals?

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes we need laws. But I asked you how to we fix the problems of racism without breaking the law?

Differences are fine in my book.

Without laws we are nothing. You don't have to break the law to be heard and make changes, that's just an excuse.

I agree we differ

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock

Law and Order.
Just a bit of background on that particular phrase being used. I don't know if you were aware of what it's connotations have traditionally been. The whistle it was and is being used as.
*I know that's not what you meant, and do not believe that's how you meant it.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@TooPatient Thank you. This is why dialog is so important.

No one is born racist, ever. Environment and upbringing is what does that. And this is what has to be fixed. And no one should be called racist because they're white, thats just as wrong as calling all blacks thugs neither of these are true.

We should treat each other better..... but humans and our very humanity is inherently flawed. Some will look at any way to exploit others no matter if one who looks like you or not. Some have absolutely no conscience, which is why human trafficking will never go away.

The laws that we have (in general) keep many of us (general us) in check because it gives us something to lose if we break that law.

If you have a lawless society, nothing is in check, In a lawless society, anything goes. When you put laws in place, you (general you) have something to lose if you break them.

No human history is clean, hearts, flowers and butterflies. Humans are not built that way. Laws keep us from going outright bananas though.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Second guess (I want my 1 million prize). Their mayors are fare left liberals?
BINGO!. Your $1 million check is in the mail! :$$): :lol:

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock

There has been racism that has burned into the memory of some of my family members.

My niece is white and hispanic. She looks like a dark haired, ivory skinned, bright blue eyed white girl. She manages a restaurant and has funny stories about when she started and spent the day listening to the spanish speaking staff talking about the new lazy white manager. She waited to the end of the day to let them know in fluent spanish how happy she was to be there :) She holds no grudge at all, as she considers herself a Latina :)

I've worked as the only white girl in a 40+ person black and asian people baking in a mess hall in Virginia. I never had a moment where anyone was more than a team member with me. People were just plain friendly. So was I. Then again, I didn't expect anything but friendly.

There are some family members that have scars that I am not sure will heal and may always have some feelings. The father had worked himself up to near the very top of a gov. agency. Not really my story to tell, so I am going to stay vague. He was up for promotion and had years of service and much experience in the position. He was told he could not have the promotion because he was not black. A black man was hired with a fraction of his education and experience (as it was told to me). He helped do his job as well as his own

Years later, he finally got to the top of his career. A new governor came in and he was told point blank he was fired, his job should belong to a black man. At that point, the position was a political appointment. So, he ended up being a clerk in a hardware store for years until he rebuilt a career elsewhere.

So, I've had some conversations. I don't get far. Racism (any type) is a poison and it causes people to be harmed, hurt and bitter.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results