shape
carat
color
clarity

Thought on the Strong Fluorescence in this Color D diamond?

blingbloom

Rough_Rock
Hi everybody and thank you ahead of time.

I was interested in this
https://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.50-carat-d-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-1983050

I wanted your thoughts o n this diamond. The diamond has strong fluorescence. I was wondering if you guys can tell if there is any milky or haziness to the diamond via the picture at all? Also when I spoke to the rep, they stated that the diamond would have poor light dispersion (is that the same thing as light return on HCA?). However, when I entered the diamonds values into HCA I received a score of 1.7. I would like to get it in a halo setting where the pave diamonds are F-G in color. Do you think that is too big of a difference in color (D center diamond and F-G for halo diamonds?

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Thought on the Strong Fluorescence in this Color D diamo

It's a 60/60 diamond with a lower crown angle, which favors white light return over colored (dispersion) - that probably why she said that.

https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamonds/60-60-proportioned-diamond

I have a D w sbf, and I think the fluor is just beautiful. You can't tell under the studio lights JA uses, as there likely isn't a UV component, and fluor is only activated by UV light (sunlight and black lights). I'd ask for an actual gemologist to assess the stone (not a sales associate), and request an IS image.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Looking at the GIA report for this stone, likely the JA rep meant the listed inclusions of twinning wisps and clouds, as well as the additional inclusions mentioned in the "Comments" (twisps, clouds, and surface graining), coupled with the strong bluor fluorescence, would lead to "poor light dispersion."

Sometimes strong (and very strong) fluor coupled with twinning wisps and clouds can result in light dispersion which appears somewhat misty/hazy/foggy as compared to a stone with similar specs but no strong/very strong fluor and wisps/clouds. This can happen even in a stone with excellent or ideal-cut parameters.

Looking at the video, I can see some bits of haziness just outside the very center of the stone, near some plotted inclusions/clouds.

It sounds like the JA rep is giving you honest commentary and I would believe it and move on to finding another stone.

If you are really intent on this particular stone, however, JA has a good return policy so buy it and have it sent loose to you so you can inspect it in your lighting environments while in the return period.

blingbloom

Rough_Rock

Attached is the IS. Thoughts?

1983050.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results