shape
carat
color
clarity

This Red Garnet changed my mind about Red Garnets!

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
So, admittedly, even though it’s my birthstone, I’ve always disliked garnets and avoided them like the plague. I’ve only met brown-ish, 6C295728-948E-4977-B173-D447FBA35392.jpeg 66BD92D2-8D6A-47EA-BFC3-84540452B0B5.jpeg 4619059F-920D-4EBB-B7A5-2725BCF72C8D.jpeg F4165CFD-2CBD-48A8-B3E6-3B4D3D8A4A2A.jpeg dark, nasty garnets.
Meanwhile, I have been on the hunt for a ruby ring. But the more I looked at ruby stones and the more I researched rubies, the farther away I found myself from finding what I wanted.
I did discover that I’m not a fan of Thailand rubies. My eye was always able to see the purplish modifier.
I do like Burma rubies and even toyed seriously with a GIA certified pigeon’s blood stone but it was so tiny I just wasn’t happy. To be in my price range, it was 1.09 carats (remember carat for carat rubies are more dense and therefore smaller dimension-wise than diamonds) and it just did not spark joy.
So then my jeweler says, I know it’s not a ruby but I’ve got a spectacular garnet set in an even more magnificent setting. My heart sank. But I trust him so ok I will look. He says the platinum setting has E/VVS1 diamond baguettes and transitional cut stones that are just “wow”. The ring came from an estate after the owner had taken the 4.25 carat diamond out of the center. My jeweler had the garnet and it fit perfectly in the setting.
I take one look at it and I’m in love! Swoon. Totally ME!
But wait. I have a lifelong dislike of garnets and, on top of that, I’ve put so much effort and research into this ruby quest how is this possible that a love a lowly garnet?!?!
Well, jewelry love moves in mysterious ways.
I snatched up this ring in two seconds and I haven’t looked back at rubies since (caveat....I may resume the ruby quest at a later date but given the exponentially higher price point I was looking at with rubies, it’s going to take a very perfect ruby to turn my head!).
So here she is! My new 4.21 carat garnet ring.
To be fair to rubies, I included a pic where she definitely blacks-out a bit and has some extinction and, of course, she doesn’t have that fluorescent glow but that’s to be expected. I will say the majority of the time she is 75 degrees and sunny!

JackTrick

Brilliant_Rock
That's so JUICY! And what a fantastic size! Thanks for sharing the story :D

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
OMG :appl:
What a find :kiss2:
The setting is breath taking and the garnet is a wonferful colour
high praise because i don't like red but i am coming around to garnets especially when i see threads like this

sydneyatl

Shiny_Rock
My mother has a fantastic garnet just like this cut by Jeff Davies. I bought it for her and had a horrible pang of jealousy when it arrived and I had to hand it over!
Your ring is beautiful :)

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Not only do I love this ring...I enjoyed your fun writing style too!
It's a beauty without reservation. You have inspired me to consider a garnet too.

joelly

Ideal_Rock
So, admittedly, even though it’s my birthstone, I’ve always disliked garnets and avoided them like the plague. I’ve only met brown-ish, 6C295728-948E-4977-B173-D447FBA35392.jpeg 66BD92D2-8D6A-47EA-BFC3-84540452B0B5.jpeg 4619059F-920D-4EBB-B7A5-2725BCF72C8D.jpeg F4165CFD-2CBD-48A8-B3E6-3B4D3D8A4A2A.jpeg dark, nasty garnets.
Meanwhile, I have been on the hunt for a ruby ring. But the more I looked at ruby stones and the more I researched rubies, the farther away I found myself from finding what I wanted.
I did discover that I’m not a fan of Thailand rubies. My eye was always able to see the purplish modifier.
I do like Burma rubies and even toyed seriously with a GIA certified pigeon’s blood stone but it was so tiny I just wasn’t happy. To be in my price range, it was 1.09 carats (remember carat for carat rubies are more dense and therefore smaller dimension-wise than diamonds) and it just did not spark joy.
So then my jeweler says, I know it’s not a ruby but I’ve got a spectacular garnet set in an even more magnificent setting. My heart sank. But I trust him so ok I will look. He says the platinum setting has E/VVS1 diamond baguettes and transitional cut stones that are just “wow”. The ring came from an estate after the owner had taken the 4.25 carat diamond out of the center. My jeweler had the garnet and it fit perfectly in the setting.
I take one look at it and I’m in love! Swoon. Totally ME!
But wait. I have a lifelong dislike of garnets and, on top of that, I’ve put so much effort and research into this ruby quest how is this possible that a love a lowly garnet?!?!
Well, jewelry love moves in mysterious ways.
I snatched up this ring in two seconds and I haven’t looked back at rubies since (caveat....I may resume the ruby quest at a later date but given the exponentially higher price point I was looking at with rubies, it’s going to take a very perfect ruby to turn my head!).
So here she is! My new 4.21 carat garnet ring.
To be fair to rubies, I included a pic where she definitely blacks-out a bit and has some extinction and, of course, she doesn’t have that fluorescent glow but that’s to be expected. I will say the majority of the time she is 75 degrees and sunny!

I love this. I am currently on a look out for a great garnet ring.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely stone and setting, thanks for sharing!

DK :kiss2:

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
That's so JUICY! And what a fantastic size! Thanks for sharing the story :D
Thank you. Juicy is definitely the descriptive word
OMG :appl:
What a find :kiss2:
The setting is breath taking and the garnet is a wonferful colour
high praise because i don't like red but i am coming around to garnets especially when i see threads like this

Thank you! Yes, the setting is just down my street! Could hold its own in any company I think.
My mother has a fantastic garnet just like this cut by Jeff Davies. I bought it for her and had a horrible pang of jealousy when it arrived and I had to hand it over!
Your ring is beautiful :)

Who knew there were scintillating garnets out there?!
Not only do I love this ring...I enjoyed your fun writing style too!
It's a beauty without reservation. You have inspired me to consider a garnet too.

❤❤❤ happy to enable!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results