shape
carat
color
clarity

Third time's a charm

S

Shiny Black Cat

Ok, l am starting a new thread because my 2nd thread was removed again, don't ask me why. I was lucky enough to find some old pieces from my collection and saved some old photos,, so l can start a new thread. Smokey quartz, for a new beginning. IMG_20220425_175616_HDR.jpg

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
Your threads aren't being deleted. They're right here:

S

Shiny Black Cat

Your threads aren't being deleted. They're right here:
yes, but were removed from CG to another forum, never mind. Still getting used to all this story.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ok, l am starting a new thread because my 2nd thread was removed again, don't ask me why. I was lucky enough to find some old pieces from my collection and saved some old photos,, so l can start a new thread. Smokey quartz, for a new beginning. IMG_20220425_175616_HDR.jpg

This is a beauty

S

Shiny Black Cat

What do you think on these stones, is it possible they are natural pink sapphires? I have only photos and ctw, it's 3,95 and 1,4ctw. The colour is dark pink with hints of red. Clean in 10x magnification, as l can see, What else could it be?Have no experience with pink stones at all. IMG_20220428_102042_HDR.jpg IMG_20220428_102144.jpg IMG_20220428_105559.jpg IMG_20220428_105559.jpg IMG_20220428_120426_HDR.jpg

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
They are synthetic 99.9%.
clue no 1. Exact same colour on both, with no variation and a very hot pink which is a rare and expensive colour.
clue no 2. Typical machine cut. A lot of the natural gems are usually native cut with a step cut pavilion to preserve weight.
clue no 3. Size, over 3 carats is considered a big stone. If natural it would have costed...a lot and probably would have had some lab report.
clue no 4: Too clean of inclusions.
clue no 5: Abraded surface. I assume they've been tossed around in a bag of other gems that could scatch them, probably same gems because only sapphire and diamond can scratch sapphire. No one that has natural stones of that size and value keeps them in a bag or tosses them around to get abraded like that.

FYI, this is why your topics were moved to fab. fashion jewellery, this forum is for natural stones only.

Last edited:

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Gloria is correct, this forum is for naturally mined colored gemstones only. Threads that contain other types of stones will be moved.

S

Shiny Black Cat

Gloria is correct, this forum is for naturally mined colored gemstones only. Threads that contain other types of stones will be moved.

Ok, where l can ask questions about colored stones? This should be an educative forum too? Just asking

S

Shiny Black Cat

The only way to find answers is to create multiple threads, in my case, because all my threads were removed? that means if l have a new stone l have to create a new thread? thank you for detailed information, l also think the stones are synthetics,for several reasons, but really have no experience.

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
This forum is not meant to help people identify what a stone is or if a stone is natural or synthetic. PS can 1) help people find a gem matching certain desired characteristics; 2) assist in choosing which is the best option between several natural gems; 3) act as a platform to show off well-made jewelry with natural gems (gold plate and silver jewelry almost always belongs in Costume Jewelry); 4) provide high-level insights on topics such as gem recutting, photography, treatment and gem labs. I think you will find that nearly every thread falls into one of these categories. Though no internet forum will ever be able to say with 100% certainty if a gem is natural or synthetic, you would have better luck in a synthetics forum or a gem/mineral forum that is not so dedicated to higher end gems and pieces.

Last edited:

Ella

Brilliant_Rock
Staff member
Premium
Ok, where l can ask questions about colored stones? This should be an educative forum too? Just asking

It’s fine to ask, but yes it is best to start a new thread if you have questions about whether something is synthetic or not.

S

Shiny Black Cat

This forum is not meant to help people identify what a stone is or if a stone is natural or synthetic. PS can 1) help people find a gem matching certain desired characteristics; 2) assist in choosing which is the best option between several natural gems; 3) act as a platform to show off well-made jewelry with natural gems; 4) provide high-level insights on topics such as gem recutting, photography, treatment and gem labs. I think you will find that nearly every thread falls into one of these categories. Though no internet forum will ever be able to say with 100% certainty if a gem is natural or synthetic, you would have better luck in a synthetics forum or a gem/mineral forum that is not so dedicated to higher end gems and pieces.
This forum is not meant to help people identify what a stone is or if a stone is natural or synthetic. PS can 1) help people find a gem matching certain desired characteristics; 2) assist in choosing which is the best option between several natural gems; 3) act as a platform to show off well-made jewelry with natural gems (gold plate and silver jewelry almost always belongs in Costume Jewelry); 4) provide high-level insights on topics such as gem recutting, photography, treatment and gem labs. I think you will find that nearly every thread falls into one of these categories. Though no internet forum will ever be able to say with 100% certainty if a gem is natural or synthetic, you would have better luck in a synthetics forum or a gem/mineral forum that is not so dedicated to higher end gems and pieces.

l need some time to translate reply.

S

Shiny Black Cat

First of all, l am glad to see some old members take a part in this forum. I know your replies are systematic, so l'll try to follow it. Topic of CG forum: discuss ALL natural gems here:post pics of your FAV stones OR
jewelry etc. Maybe it's a language barrier, but I can't read that jewelry should not be silver. (Btw l love silver)
High end jewelry meaning: the most expensive pieces of jewelry from the big name houses, many of which are one of a kind cost millions due to materials , workmanship and signature and include extremely valuable gemstones. how many members fail in this category?. i know that high end jewelry is not my world.
actually, l learnt a lot from this forum, saw some beautiful gems, play games, improving my English:lol-2:and that was my goal when l joined the forum. once again nice to meet people who welcomed me in this forum. l have a good luck and like this forum. :cool2: i am not in very good mood to write something more detailed. have a nice day.

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
There is nothing wrong with silver or synthetics, they just do not belong in THIS forum. I like silver myself and have plenty of silver pieces but unless they are from the Victorian period, pretty much all vintage silver is costume jewelry. Gems and jewelry on this forum do not need to be branded, or cost millions of dollars, but the forum is designed for people discussing natural gems that hold some value. Your posts are not getting traction because even though items like smoky quartz or labradorite are natural gems, they are quite inexpensive and commonly used in costume jewelry. Again, these kinds of gems can be attractive, sentimental and enjoyable, but that does not make them appropriate topics for THIS forum. I hate to put a number on it because it's not that simple, but gems worth under $50 or $100 in resale value are really just not candidates for this forum when there is a costume jewelry thread. Even if a piece is worth a few hundred dollars in gold, if the stone itself holds no value, the piece is not appropriate for this forum. PS is home to a variety of people with a range of disposable income levels. There is a lot of middle ground between gold plate and glass and a $1M Harry Winston ring being auctioned at Sotheby's, and that's where the majority of us are. I believe there is a rule against naming other forums but if you do some research, I'm sure you could find a place with more like-minded collectors.

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I strongly disagree that "silver jewelry almost always belongs in Costume Jewelry" -- besides the fact that there no "Costume Jewelry" forum on PS, many colored-stone PSers have beautiful natural colored gemstones mounted in sterling silver, argentium silver, and fine silver. For that matter, there are plenty of family heirlooms and antique pieces that have natural gemstones (even diamonds!) set in silver.

The PS forum entitled "Fabulous Fashion Jewelry" is meant for lab / synthetic / man-made stones
https://www.pricescope.com/community/forums/fabulous-fashion-jewelry.95/

@Shiny Black Cat -- two of your threads apparently were moved over to the Fabulous Fashion Jewelry forum
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/natalija-shiny-cat.273015/
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/natalija-shiny-cat.273032/

The focus of the Colored Gemstone forum is natural (earth mined) colored gemstones: loose, mounted, sharing your own, asking for PS assistance in finding a natural stone, asking for PS opinions on stones you're considering buying or may have bought but still within return period, asking for input on setting designs for your colored gemstones, discussing stone characteristics ...

Contrary to what other posters may suggest, there are no value requirements in this forum -- the Colored Stone forum is the appropriate place to post about labradorite, turquoise, moonstone, citrine, amethyst, tiger's eye, smoky quartz, rose quartz, and onyx ... as well as ruby, sapphire, spinel, tourmaline, zircon, and a myriad of other natural colored gemstones.

@Shiny Black Cat -- there is a bit of a learning curve to participating on any online forum, but please know you are welcome here!

Last edited:
S

Shiny Black Cat

I strongly disagree that "silver jewelry almost always belongs in Costume Jewelry" -- besides the fact that there no "Costume Jewelry" forum on PS, many colored-stone PSers have beautiful natural colored gemstones mounted in sterling silver, argentium silver, and fine silver. For that matter, there are plenty of family heirlooms and antique pieces that have natural gemstones (even diamonds!) set in silver.

The PS forum entitled "Fabulous Fashion Jewelry" is meant for lab / synthetic / man-made stones
https://www.pricescope.com/community/forums/fabulous-fashion-jewelry.95/

@Shiny Black Cat -- two of your threads apparently were moved over to the Fabulous Fashion Jewelry forum
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/natalija-shiny-cat.273015/
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/natalija-shiny-cat.273032/

The focus of the Colored Gemstone forum is natural (earth mined) colored gemstones: loose, mounted, sharing your own, asking for PS assistance in finding a natural stone, asking for PS opinions on stones you're considering buying or may have bought but still within return period, asking for input on setting designs for your colored gemstones, discussing stone characteristics ...

Contrary to what other posters may suggest, there are no value requirements in this forum -- the Colored Stone forum is the appropriate place to post about labradorite, turquoise, moonstone, citrine, amethyst, tiger's eye, and onyx ... as well as ruby, sapphire, spinel, tourmaline, zircon, and a myriad of other natural colored gemstones.

@Shiny Black Cat -- there is a bit of a learning curve to participating on any online forum, but please know you are welcome here!

thank you, l need some time to read Pokerface reply. a bit tired.

S

Shiny Black Cat

There is nothing wrong with silver or synthetics, they just do not belong in THIS forum. I like silver myself and have plenty of silver pieces but unless they are from the Victorian period, pretty much all vintage silver is costume jewelry. Gems and jewelry on this forum do not need to be branded, or cost millions of dollars, but the forum is designed for people discussing natural gems that hold some value. Your posts are not getting traction because even though items like smoky quartz or labradorite are natural gems, they are quite inexpensive and commonly used in costume jewelry. Again, these kinds of gems can be attractive, sentimental and enjoyable, but that does not make them appropriate topics for THIS forum. I hate to put a number on it because it's not that simple, but gems worth under $50 or $100 in resale value are really just not candidates for this forum when there is a costume jewelry thread. Even if a piece is worth a few hundred dollars in gold, if the stone itself holds no value, the piece is not appropriate for this forum. PS is home to a variety of people with a range of disposable income levels. There is a lot of middle ground between gold plate and glass and a $1M Harry Winston ring being auctioned at Sotheby's, and that's where the majority of us are. I believe there is a rule against naming other forums but if you do some research, I'm sure you could find a place with more like-minded collectors.

ok, you are right:sleep:

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This post makes me very sad.

PS is a community created for diamond/colored gemstone/jewelry enthusiasts, run by PS Admin.

Individual PSers do not have the power, right or privilege to unilaterally announce the kinds of rules you (@pokerface) have included in the quoted post.

Please be advised that, per Forum rules, the Colored Stone forum is for natural colored gemstones. There are no value restrictions, no metal restrictions, no natural stone restrictions.

As always, you and other PSers and lurkers are welcome to bypass any CS threads that are not of interest to you.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sterling silver is NOT. I repeat NOT costume jewelry!!!!!!
OMG, I nearly had a heart attack just now......
As a silversmith hobbyist, I am taken aback by this comment.
I have posted so, so many of my own pieces on this forum, all made from colored stones and sterling.
@pokerface are you saying that my creations are costume jewelry?

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
I am not an admin nor am I announcing any rules. OP has repeatedly asked why her threads have been moved and why her posts are not getting responses. I merely posted a summary of what I see this forum is used for. I am not sure why my post would garner a negative reaction when I very clearly stated that there is nothing wrong with fashion or costume jewelry. Value, metal and type of stone can all indicate whether a piece is more appropriate for this forum or the fashion/costume jewelry forum. But, it's not up to me, it's up to admin to decide what posts go where.

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
And @stracci2000, you know I love your silver pieces. It's my understanding that sometimes costume jewelry and fashion jewelry are considered two different categories, and sometimes they are lumped together (https://www.truefacet.com/guide/fashion-jewelry-vs-fine-jewelry/). If silver jewelry cannot be "costume" then maybe it is "fashion" but mostly to me, these are the same category. I hope we can agree to disagree. Like I said, I like silver.

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And @stracci2000, you know I love your silver pieces. It's my understanding that sometimes costume jewelry and fashion jewelry are considered two different categories, and sometimes they are lumped together (https://www.truefacet.com/guide/fashion-jewelry-vs-fine-jewelry/). If silver jewelry cannot be "costume" then maybe it is "fashion" but mostly to me, these are the same category. I hope we can agree to disagree. Like I said, I like silver.

This is a quote from the link you just attached:

"Fine jewelry is used to describe jewelry made of solid gold, sterling silver, platinum, and/or other precious metals"

pokerface

Brilliant_Rock
I really don't want to argue. *edited to remove my error*

Here is another article: https://www.afashionblog.com/costume-jewelry/ and another quote: "During the era of World War II, sterling silver was incorporated into most of the costume jewelry designs...With the use of sterling silver as the new base metal for costume jewelry, sterling silver slowly turned into one of the staple metals used in costume jewelry."

I am not trying to pick a fight or get into a big discussion of is silver costume or what is costume vs fashion jewelry. I tried to respond to OP kindly but I think maybe my tone and intent is being lost over the internet. I am small potatoes compared to most people on PS and I do not wish to deter fellow colored stone enthusiasts.

Last edited:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is nothing wrong with silver or synthetics, they just do not belong in THIS forum. I like silver myself and have plenty of silver pieces but unless they are from the Victorian period, pretty much all vintage silver is costume jewelry.

I hate to put a number on it because it's not that simple, but gems worth under $50 or $100 in resale value are really just not candidates for this forum when there is a costume jewelry thread. Even if a piece is worth a few hundred dollars in gold, if the stone itself holds no value, the piece is not appropriate for this forum.

I strongly disagree with these two statements. Re silver: Stracci's work of arts - some of my most favorite and some of the most cherished pieces on CS - are made with silver, and there are so many other examples where an OP chose silver to keep costs down or wanted a mixed metal piece including some silver. As one example, no one would consider a stone set in a Mokume Gane piece inappropriate here.

Again, we have seen and often lauded inexpensive stones here. When someone shows a stone they have mined and/or cut themselves, shares one with little intrinsic value but with great sentimental value (I personally love the stories of ones they've inherited from their beloved Grandmoms :))), and stones that are just downright cool looking. I'm sure there are other categories where they are loved and appreciated here, those are just what comes to mind.

In summary, I think it's good to be open and as inclusive as possible.

Hi everyone - Just wanted to weigh-in on the sterling silver discussion. Silver is indeed considered a precious metal right up there with gold and platinum. Sterling is, as you all know, an alloy of 92.5% pure silver and 7.5% base metals (usually copper or sometimes zinc). Costume or fashion jewelry consists of solid base metals with or without plating. Typically those pieces are mounted with synthetics or simulants, but even if mounted with a natural gem, the piece would still likely be considered costume. =)2 At least, that's what they taught us at the GIA. Anyway... my two cents!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My 5 cents.
coloured gems are coloured gems irrespective of their value.
If a post is about citrine or amethyst or smoky quartz or other semi precious gems, if these gems arent “your thing” just scroll on by.
I don’t think there is anything wrong with posting up gems that are likely synthetic, because without a lab report, who knows for sure.
Obviously asking questions like “is this natural” will cause other members to give their opinion based on their knowledge and experience.
This is when it gets tricky and fraught.
Opinions are opinions.
Lab reports are lab reports.
Best to just “show and talk” rather than trying to prove or disprove.
As for Fabulous Fashion Jewelry, I would have thought that was a broad category for costume jewellery (and don’t dare be ”snobby”, check out prices for vintage Chanel pieces - thousands!!) that included CZ or glass or plastic and plated metals or non precious metals.
Non precious as in brass or copper or stainless steel.
My most special piece of jewellery, the first I ever bought, is worth maybe $50.
My most precious heirloom piece of jewellery is worth maybe $300.

This is tricky, because I understand where some members (and the mods) are coming from. If there's a reasonable expectation that a gem is synthetic, then, according to PS rules, it would be precluded from this forum. Otherwise, we'd be overrun with created, synthetic, or simulant stones, and I don't think that is the mission of this forum. However, it's true that we don't know for sure either way, and I always want to err on the side of inclusivity. Now, OP did ask for opinions, and honest ones should always be given, respected, and accepted. But simply put, I'm a big believer in an open arms policy. Maybe OP's pink stones are natural sapphire, maybe they're CZ. I have no idea. But it clearly brings her joy to share her gems, and that's good enough for me. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results