shape
carat
color
clarity

Thinking about new setting - tulip/flower

Calla-lilies

Shiny_Rock
Hello.

Ever since I've been on PS, I've been thinking about resetting my diamond e-ring. Right now it's set in a (plain) 6 prong setting. I just love the side profile of the tulip (or similar) setting. My husband and I bought the diamond about 20 years ago -- it is a 1 carat (round brillant, E, VS1) but it faces up small -- approx 6mm. Knowing what I know now, we probably wouldn't have picked this diamond but... and we can also afford a larger diamond now. I would love a slightly larger diamond but of course this diamond has sentimental value.

Right now, I'm thinking about these settings on James Allen (doesn't have to be from JA). I've seen some nice ones on RareCarat.now -- not sure if they're reputable.

My question is -- would these settings be too much metal for a 6mm diamond like mine? The pictures I've seen are probably of larger diamonds so the metal is not as prominent. Also, I want it to sit flush w/ my wedding band so I have to consider that as well.

I also like the trellis setting but I think my first choice is the tulip-type.

Any comments/advice will be appreciated.

Thanks!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can’t speak on the James Allen, I’ve never bought anything from them. You might find this thread helpful for inspiration, posts 20 and 21 actually show a diamond around the same size as yours in a floral setting:

Calla-lilies

Shiny_Rock
Can’t speak on the James Allen, I’ve never bought anything from them. You might find this thread helpful for inspiration, posts 20 and 21 actually show a diamond around the same size as yours in a floral setting:

Thanks! I did see this thread and love the Dahlia setting - so beautiful.

I think these are both lovely mountings, though I too am a lover of the dahlia. But I don't think any of them would overwhelm a 1ct. round. They actually show both rings with a 1ct. and .80ct., and it still looks great. Good luck!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I concur and think they would both be lovely, they both have examples with .80 ct and I thought they were smashing. The only real choice is how substantial you want your gold. I err on more gold because I'm a clutz. I love my three stone I have but I wish it had an even thicker shank on it (it's already a taper 2.1 to 2.8mm). I also believe Stuller has some petal mounts as well.

Calla-lilies

Shiny_Rock
I concur and think they would both be lovely, they both have examples with .80 ct and I thought they were smashing. The only real choice is how substantial you want your gold. I err on more gold because I'm a clutz. I love my three stone I have but I wish it had an even thicker shank on it (it's already a taper 2.1 to 2.8mm). I also believe Stuller has some petal mounts as well.

Thanks!

Calla-lilies

Shiny_Rock

I hit send bf I was done

I hadn’t thought ab the thickness of the band - but generally I like thinner bands - I feel like I have short fingers - ha! Thanks again.

KristyDarling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too love the Dahlia (Caysie's work is top-caliber) but as a fellow short-fingered girl, I thought I'd throw another setting option out there for your consideration. This is a pseudo-tulip solitaire with a delicate shank, done by Mark Turnowski of Brilliantly Engaged (formerly Engagement Rings Direct): https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-3-55-oec-in-erd-rg-wg-solitaire.199003/

The proportions won't overpower your stone, and the prongs and side profile are so refined and graceful. Your stone would really POP in this setting. The only thing is that the donut will not allow a band to sit flush, but I'm sure Mark could modify it to accommodate a flush fit. Full disclosure: I also own this setting but in platinum....I love it!! It stacks beautifully with all my bands and my stone really pops and sparkles in it.

As for the JA setting you linked, it wouldn't be "too much" metal IMHO, but your stone might appear a tad smaller in it and it would blend more into the width of the shank (especially when compared to delicate settings like this one).

1654875413968.png

1654875452025.png

Calla-lilies

Shiny_Rock
I too love the Dahlia (Caysie's work is top-caliber) but as a fellow short-fingered girl, I thought I'd throw another setting option out there for your consideration. This is a pseudo-tulip solitaire with a delicate shank, done by Mark Turnowski of Brilliantly Engaged (formerly Engagement Rings Direct): https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-3-55-oec-in-erd-rg-wg-solitaire.199003/

Wow! This is absolutely beautiful!!! Thank you for sending
The proportions won't overpower your stone, and the prongs and side profile are so refined and graceful. Your stone would really POP in this setting. The only thing is that the donut will not allow a band to sit flush, but I'm sure Mark could modify it to accommodate a flush fit. Full disclosure: I also own this setting but in platinum....I love it!! It stacks beautifully with all my bands and my stone really pops and sparkles in it.

As for the JA setting you linked, it wouldn't be "too much" metal IMHO, but your stone might appear a tad smaller in it and it would blend more into the width of the shank (especially when compared to delicate settings like this one).

1654875413968.png

1654875452025.png

Calla-lilies

Shiny_Rock
Wow! Absolutely beautiful! Beautiful stone and setting. Thanks for sending

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results