shape
carat
color
clarity

Things White People Can Do To Promote Racial Justice

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I want to know what sort of negligent, careless, dimwitted lunatic cop pepper sprays a child.

Edited to add: also, that 10% charge on your phone is making my neurotic self nervous. I want to give you a charger. :lol:

On a more serious note, I think our responses to that child being pepper sprayed is like a metaphor for the larger issues at hand. Two people can look at the same thing and come away with completely different takes.

Oh absolutely. The person who chooses to pepper spray a child is a raving lunatic. But we are seeing abundant lunacy from too many individuals right now, both civillian and law enforcement. And in these sorts of situations unfortunate accidents can and do happen - a different but equally damaging scenario is a cop aiming for someone else and catching her by accident.
Choosing to put your child in harm's way, knowing the potential for disaster, is an altogether different level of insanity that makes me angry.

I finally found a charger cord that hasn't been chewed through or #1'd on... It took a while :lol:

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
What sort of negligent, careless, dimwitted lunatic brings a child to one of these protests, knowing how flammable they can become at any moment... I am completely lost for words.
That was my exact reaction. While it doesn't excuse the cop for pepper spraying that poor child, as a parent, I am first and foremost responsible for the safety of my children. I have no control over how other crazy people may act in the presence of my kids, but it's my choice whether or not to intentionally expose my kids to potentially dangerous situation.

It breaks my heart to imagine what sort of terror and pain that little girl must've felt. I pray she is doing ok.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh absolutely. The person who chooses to pepper spray a child is a raving lunatic. But we are seeing abundant lunacy from too many individuals right now, both civillian and law enforcement. And in these sorts of situations unfortunate accidents can and do happen - a different but equally damaging scenario is a cop aiming for someone else and catching her by accident.
Choosing to put your child in harm's way, knowing the potential for disaster, is an altogether different level of insanity that makes me angry.

I finally found a charger cord that hasn't been chewed through or #1'd on... It took a while :lol:

There was actually a protest in my neighborhood organized by kids, albeit older than that girl. It was entirely peaceful and impressive to see high school students with such passion and eloquence. I can understand why people take their children to protests, but I do think it would be smart to have an exit plan in case things go south.

My sweet kitty Jinger used to chew on charger cords. She must have gotten shocked at some point but it never stopped her!

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Choosing to put your child in harm's way, knowing the potential for disaster, is an altogether different level of insanity that makes me angry :cry:

I hope no one accuses you of parent shaming. I agree that there are other ways to teach a young child about volatile issues without putting them in volatile situations.

In a perfect world, children should be able to join their parents in protests as a teaching moment and we are a long way from perfection, heck, related to current events, we're only halfway to mediocre.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock

Not sure if this has been posted, but this is good too:

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update: the peaceful student protest started around the same time that the mayor announced a curfew. Since the students were busy at the protest, most did not hear about it. The cops waited until curfew started, and fired tear gas at them. These are high school kids we’re talking about. :x2:angryfire:

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update: the peaceful student protest started around the same time that the mayor announced a curfew. Since the students were busy at the protest, most did not hear about it. The cops waited until curfew started, and fired tear gas at them. These are high school kids we’re talking about. :x2:angryfire:

Seems a bit too convenient huh. I just posted in a different thread about the cops who shot David McAtee in Louisville at a protest. None of the cops (who were patrolling the protest) body cams were on. I'm sure a total accident.

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I know we are all angry about what's happening around the country, but I stumbled onto this and she made me feel... hopeful. Not everyone might agree with how she's approaching this but as she says, all voices are needed and each voice might reach different people. This one reached me personally in a much deeper way than some of the louder voices recently, so just wanted to share in case it's needed by anyone else.

This speaks to me as well - especially today. I'm not in a good place today. Thank you for posting it.

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I want to know what sort of negligent, careless, dimwitted lunatic cop pepper sprays a child.

Edited to add: also, that 10% charge on your phone is making my neurotic self nervous. I want to give you a charger. :lol:

On a more serious note, I think our responses to that child being pepper sprayed is like a metaphor for the larger issues at hand. Two people can look at the same thing and come away with completely different takes.

I found myself filled with rage at both the parent and the cop.

If one has reason to believe a protest will be peaceful, then I think it's entirely appropriate and, in fact, admirable to bring a child of that age or older to witness and be part of community activism for change. But.......it should have been utterly clear to him by that day that there was no reason to assume that these protests were going to stay peaceful enough to bring her. It was utterly irresponsible parenting - and judging by the look on his face as he held her while she screamed, he figured that out, albeit way too late. That said.......

.....the cop's actions were so egregiously over the top, so cruel, so inexcusable. If you watch the video all the way, he stood there with fellow officers doing absolutely nothing to help. He was completely unapologetic and stood there staring with baleful hostility at her and those trying to help her as she screamed. Sociopathic.

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This speaks to me as well - especially today. I'm not in a good place today. Thank you for posting it.
I'm truly sorry to hear that. I hope tomorrow will bring some relief for you. ((HUG))

On a lighter note, my sister asked her 3 year old son for a hug today and was told "Hug yourself. I'm too busy" Toddlers are the best :)

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
But we are seeing abundant lunacy from too many individuals right now, both civillian and law enforcement.

Amen to that.

One of many things that is boggling my mind about all this is that everyone seems to have completely forgotten that we're in the middle of a freakin' global pandemic with a deadly virus. Even the peaceful protests that I've seen on video have had SO many people without masks, and have inevitably devolved into everyone milling around talking, yelling, not keeping their distance from others. That's not even considering where things have become chaotic and violent. How many of these people are walking away infected and bringing that home to their families, their workplaces that may have just opened up, the freshly opened stores and restaurants that people are flocking to everywhere, the grocery stores and medical establishments and courthouses that vulnerable people have no choice but to go to? How many hotspots is this going to start? How much of the sacrifices of shutdowns will go to waste as it's all undone and cases skyrocket? How much more tragic and unnecessary death and disability will come out of this?

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOL it's not shame. I am proud of my culture,I speak fluent Mandarin and can read... writing is terrible, but whatever I'm ABC. However, I don't tolerate BS. And your holier-than-thou attitude is whats wrong with people. You think by staying quiet and hiding, you are safe, but you're not. People still judge you for your skin color. You will always be judged. And it's crazy to me that you'd judge others the same way because you think your skintone is better than someone else's.

So I didn’t want to get involved in your and DF’s debate bc you are doing well on your own, lol. As a Latina I find myself educating a lot of my family and I just shared this post with them. Tbh, some of the most racist people i have ever known are POC—Latinos. So I can totally relate to your argument with DF because I have it all the time with my family. Here is the post.
8529850B-7819-4D47-A8D1-193EF6F2E812.png

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
A 2 minute explanation of systemic racism.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Very good video - nice and clear and concise. I have people I've tried and failed miserably to explain this to that I'm going to send it to.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Seeing the differences in the neighborhoods where I work (East NY Brooklyn) and where I live (Long Island), YUP to all of this.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you know people who are racist or who deny racism exists and no amount of discussion changes their perspective, ask them the same question Jane Elliott asks her audience:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's insane. I didn't see that - But I was flipping back and forth between MSNBC & CNN& watching the cops shooting rubber bullets straight at camera crews, Ali Velshi got shot in the leg and tear gassed.
Fake news from the left wing media...

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results