shape
carat
color
clarity

Things White People Can Do To Promote Racial Justice

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was going to post this in the thread about George Floyd but found it was removed, I assume because some of the responses violated PS rules. In that thread some posters expressed frustration and sadness about the ongoing presence of racism in the US. This article was posted on FB by a friend of mine and I wanted to share it here for those who are inclined to take action to help alleviate racial injustice. Most of the 75 suggestions don't require leaving your house so those who are uncomfortable with public activity should find something to appeal to their comfort zones. This is shared with love and respect for my fellow PSers.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@nala Would you mind sharing the source of/link to that chart please? If it’s “controversial” at all, I can link you to a LT posting and you can send it to me that way. I would just like to read more context around it. Thanks! :wavey:

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@nala Would you mind sharing the source of/link to that chart please? If it’s “controversial” at all, I can link you to a LT posting and you can send it to me that way. I would just like to read more context around it. Thanks! :wavey:

Sorry. It was circulating in social media and was posted by a colleague of mine.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I found this, not the same one, but you can check out the FB page it links to. but if you google covert/overt racism the same triangle is illustrated in similar ways.
717A1146-9A4E-49ED-8BE4-55F7A3B96E89.jpeg

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Doesn't matter the color of your skin, white,pink, black,green or yellow, just don't break the law.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@nala and @telephone89 Thanks; I was just curious to read some context around it. I don’t have/do FB, and didn’t see any link. But no worries; TY.

@Matata Not sure if you posted that article for me in re: to my asking Nala about the graphic ... if so, thanks, but I’m not aware of any deleted Floyd post.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@the_mother_thing there was a post yesterday about it... got pretty heated. Not sure when it was deleted, I myself had to take a break from it and when I came back to post that the officer had been arrested it was gone.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure if you posted that article for me in re: to my asking Nala about the graphic

No it wasn't meant for you. I'm trying to post informational stuff as I find it that relates to issues in the Floyd post.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will agree with the Vox article that there are various groups of people in a situation like this one in Minneapolis. There are people who are hurting and rightfully angry and are peacefully protesting, there are some opportunistic people who use the event for property damage and looting, and you have "chaos agents and anarchists who infiltrate peaceful protests with their own agenda". Therefore, it is totally wrong to pass judgement on all protestors as violent lawbreakers. George Floyd's girfriend urged people protest peacefully as that would have been what George would have wanted. It is doubly troubling that his family is having to watch all that is going on with all the other emotions they would have. I am thankful they finally arrested the former police officer who killed him today. I would expect the others to be charged eventually, but I am glad the murderer will finally face justice this time.

We have seen in the past where these "chaos agents" come in from other places and cause a lot of damage and even hurt the cause of those who are justified in protesting a wrong action. We saw it in a nearby city a few years ago. The few people arrested were not from the area, but they did a lot of damage and got more coverage than those who were actually protesting something important.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@the_mother_thing there was a post yesterday about it... got pretty heated. Not sure when it was deleted, I myself had to take a break from it and when I came back to post that the officer had been arrested it was gone.

Thanks for the background. I’m glad I missed it, as I’m sincerely not interested in engaging in any “political” debate of the Floyd case, except to say I look forward to justice being fully, swiftly and factually served in this very troubling incident.

And just to be clear, no one should infer from my words that I have any doubt about what happened to Mr. Floyd - I don’t; I’m beyond disgusted. Just choosing to remain “measured“ out of respect for the victim as well as the forum rules.

@diamondseeker2006 I remember the incident you’re referencing, and couldn't agree more; and I’ll leave it at that. :wavey:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm relieved Chauvin was arrested however I'm not comfortable at the moment with the 3rd degree murder charge. While his initial intent might not have been to kill Floyd, something changed when he kept his knee on Floyd's neck for 3 minutes after Floyd became unresponsive. To me that changes the incident to 2nd degree murder and skirts on 1st degree. Waiting to see what happens as more evidence becomes available or as current evidence is further examined.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree, I was very surprised with 3rd degree.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I was also pleased that Jason Johnson addressed the media's responsibility for skewing coverage of protests to get "eyes on the screen." If I had a billion dollars, I would start a news network that provided meticulously balanced reporting. Just the facts, please. It would take that much money for a network to exist as I imagine it wouldn't make any money from advertising at least in its infancy.

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I was also pleased that Jason Johnson addressed the media's responsibility for skewing coverage of protests to get "eyes on the screen." If I had a billion dollars, I would start a news network that provided meticulously balanced reporting. Just the facts, please. It would take that much money for a network to exist as I imagine it wouldn't make any money from advertising at least in its infancy.

There is a little network that I'm able to get through my Sling subscription called Newsy that, based on what I've seen, I would say fits that bill - just the facts. They seem fairly low-budget. I hope they grow without losing that lack of bias.

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I agree, I was very surprised with 3rd degree.

I was surprised by this as well, but I was informed by people I know with Minnesota connections that there was a previous case where the prosecutor wanted to go with second-degree murder, as one ordinarily would in this case, but found that they couldn't get a conviction of the cop without dropping down to third-degree. Since that is what worked before, they decided to just go straight for that this time, as they don't want to risk not being able to go all the way through and get the conviction.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is a little network that I'm able to get through my Sling subscription called Newsy that, based on what I've seen, I would say fits that bill - just the facts. They seem fairly low-budget. I hope they grow without losing that lack of bias.

Whaaaaat, someone stole my "if I win the lottery fantasy"!? Thanks for the info, I'll check into it.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Screen Shot 2020-05-29 at 7.57.31 PM.png

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I can’t believe it took me a while to get this meme. What is wrong with me?
I don’t know if it’s the Shelter in place that is making me lose brain cells or maybe I’m just not that cynical yet. My white hubby explained it to me in 2 seconds.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What is wrong with me?

You're tired? Had too much alcohol or not enough caffeine? A senior moment? Need chocolate? Need more alcohol or caffeine? Senior moment? Wait, I already used that one, ummmmmm oh, I know, senior moment? :bigsmile:

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're tired? Had too much alcohol or not enough caffeine? A senior moment? Need chocolate? Need more alcohol or caffeine? Senior moment? Wait, I already used that one, ummmmmm oh, I know, senior moment? :bigsmile:

No. I’m not lying to you. I saw this posted elsewhere on ps and just didn’t get it. So after a couple of glasses of wine, just a few minute ago, I figured it out! I’m afraid for me.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No. I’m not lying to you. I saw this posted elsewhere on ps and just didn’t get it. So after a couple of glasses of wine, just a few minute ago, I figured it out! I’m afraid for me.

Well if it makes you feel any better, I sat here pointing my phone at the tv for a full minute, instead of the remote, and cussed a blue streak because I thought the remote was broken. If you tell anybody about that I'll have to kill you.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well if it makes you feel any better, I sat here pointing my phone at the tv for a full minute, instead of the remote, and cussed a blue streak because I thought the remote was broken. If you tell anybody about that I'll have to kill you.

Lmao. It does.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And then there was the time I got in the shower and forgot to take my underwear off (long hard day but that doesn't quite explain why I didn't realize I was half dressed until halfway through the shower). Making the best of the situation, I decided to use it as an opportunity to hand wash said items.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And then there was the time I got in the shower and forgot to take my underwear off (long hard day but that doesn't quite explain why I didn't realize I was half dressed until halfway through the shower). Making the best of the situation, I decided to use it as an opportunity to hand wash said items.

Hey, never waste an opportunity that presents itself.;)2

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Keep going. I’m almost feeling better about myself...

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results