shape
carat
color
clarity

Things White People Can Do To Promote Racial Justice

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Err... @Dancing Fire: I suspect that by Asians, you mean East Asians? Havet you missed what's going on in Hong Kong right now?
HK is majority Chinese so most crimes will likely be committed by Chinese people unlike here in the US where Chinese are in the minority group of people.

Yes, I know what is going on in HK. HK is my place of birth.

smitcompton

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I am unsure if I understand Yssies post. I will say that i have been thinking about what some have said about DFs posts. I am concerned that some have put him down because he speaks well of the Asian population in this country. And very importantly he is a proud individual of his heritage. He thinks well of his people. And no doubt he has passed this feeling along to his daughters. He in no way, to me, touts superiority, but a healthy regard for his peoples place in this world. Yes, I agree with him. Asians have made a very favorable impression in our world, just as jews have also done. I do not think that a man should be put down because he sees the good in "his people" Some day, perhaps
Black people can assert themselves in the same way that DF does about Asians.

Yssie, it is complex. Doses of self-esteem are necessary to instill that a child values themselves. As always, as we become adults we ought to rethink many of the things we have learned. We can re-arrange them if necessary. But you saw the truth or reality of your world at school. You mother gave you what she could.

At this juncture the emphasis must be on Black Lives Matter. It is the business at hand.

Annette

Last edited:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi,

I will say that i have been thinking about what some have said about DFs posts. I am concerned that some have put him down because he speaks well of the Asian population in this country. And very importantly he is a proud individual of his heritage. He thinks well of his people. And no doubt he has passed this feeling along to his daughters. He in no way, to me, touts superiority, but a healthy regard for his peoples place in this world. Yes, I agree with him.

Annette
:o Are you feeling ok? should I call the Dr.? ..:lol:

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
My god.

This is not something to applaud or celebrate.
What did this family losing their business achieve?

There is no reality in which destroying an innocent family's livelihood improves anything or resolves anything.
There is no reality in which taking one's outrage out on other innocents' health and welfare improves anything or resolves anything.

Everything about this - George Floyd's murder and response violence - is macabre and disgusting.
It's all inexcusable.

And on that note, I'll excuse myself from this thread.

This. 100%.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This. 100%.

I was more empathetic yesterday, wondering what circumstances would compel these individuals to loot and destroy—but I can no
Longer justify the looting. Looters are not protestors—they are opportunists who are destroying livelihoods and dreams that were already on the verge of bankruptcy bc of the pandemic.

Last edited:

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
I was more empathetic yesterday, wondering what circumstances would compel these individuals to loot and destroy—but I can no
Longer justify the looting. Looters are not protestors—they are opportunists who are destroying livelihoods and dreams that were already on the verge of bankruptcy bc of the pandemic.

I really hope that the rumors being echoed are true and that the "protesters" that are engaging in violent and destructive behavior are in fact, for the majority, outside individuals that are opportunistic and are using the horrendous death of George Floyd to carry out this violent agenda.

If not, and they're truly trying to come about change by hurting innocent peoples lives, In my opinion, these destructive acts counteract their exact message. If you're upset about brutality and unfairness in this country you dont act brutally and unfair.

I hope at least in all of this whirl wind everyone comes to realize that there are truly good people out there that love and accept you even though they dont know you. It's amazing to see the sheer amount of people that have come forward just to say that this cop acted murderously...I am proud of our nation for that as that doesn't seem to be of debate.

And, maybe I'm wrong and there are dozens of articles of awful people defending the cop, but In my small corner of the world, everyone that I've seen or heard that has spoken of this crime is in agreement that this was such a careless act and was done with the idea in mind that George was less than human. I am proud that I have these people surrounding me and in my life and that includes everyone on here ❤

TooPatient

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I haven't read this thread and probably won't as I need to get back to studying for my quiz and prepping my final presentation, but wanted to say that I really hope all those protesting for George and all the others who have lost their lives and shouldn't have are able to keep getting the message out as it is important to share. I also hope they are able to keep separate from the other group(s) who are showing up in different areas and looting. Police in Bellevue had advanced warning that two different known gangs would be showing up to cause chaos and loot. They did. (Hermes, Louis Vuitton, and so many others including small businesses) There was also a truly peaceful group gathered a few blocks away holding signs and having good dialog with the police and others.

One should not be tarnished by the actions of the other. One should not be allowed to continue harming small businesses and individuals because they are incorrectly viewed as connected with the other. Stopping the violence and looting should not stop the important message.

I hope everyone stays safe tonight. I mean that both physically and emotionally. I have seen too many people end friendships over this today.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For the most part I believe the protesters are not the looters. They are trying to hijack the BLM movement. They are two different groups.
The people behind the looting and destruction are not the same people who were peacefully protesting the killing of George Floyd and other Black people by police.

"
Anarchist groups appeared to have exploited the marches to sow chaos, police said.
The anarchists were not alone in wanting to use the protests as cover for destruction, Mr. Miller said. The Islamic State and Al Qaeda affiliates, as well as white supremacists and neo-Nazi groups, had all distributed propaganda recently “attempting to exploit the unrest for either recruitment or mobilization,” he said.

The materials included encouragement to commit lone-wolf attacks at protests around the country, he said.

"

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I feel strongly about local businesses being looted and vandalized. My parents were small business owners all my life and it would've been devastating if something like this happened to them. If it happened during a pandemic, they most likely wouldn't have been able to recover.

So it angers me to see this video of a black woman who filmed and tried to stop 2 white women vandalizing a building. I can feel her outrage and frustration, trying to do the right thing while others are just there to cause trouble. Who are these people and what are their true motives? I hope more of this gets brought to light so that REAL protesters do not get lumped in with these "outsiders".

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
16E88F5B-782F-4990-AE3E-16B81C71127F.jpeg

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1591035171978.png
1591035259543.png

This is a conservative who came down HARD on Kaepernick. He got a LOT of flack on twitter for being late to the party/not a real ally/etc, but IMO better late than never.

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is my experience that if the words “Black Lives Matter” make you feel in any way threatened, incensed, or defensive, you have some issues with racism you need to explore and work on.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd agree this was first degree murder but from what I heard on TV they say the DA will have problem proving it was first degree b/c a conviction for first degree murder the DA must proof it was premeditated thus the reason they are only charging him for 3rd degree for now.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd agree this is first degree murder but from what I heard on TV they say the DA will have problem proving it was first degree b/c a conviction for first degree murder the DA must proof it was premeditated thus the reason they are only charging him for 3rd degree for now.

I heard that they fear he will get off like Zimmerman if they increase the degree but don’t quote me

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I heard that they fear he will get off like Zimmerman if they increase the degree but don’t quote me
Yup, if they charge him with 1st degree he might get off scot-free.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I agree it would be difficult to prove first or second degree. They want him to get charged with *something*, even if its not a murder charge. Is that justice? I'm not sure.

First, the cops straight up lied and said he had a medical episode so they took him to the hospital. He was already dead. But they wont admit that. Their coroner tried to blame the death on prior health conditions. Obviously the scum sticks together. The family is getting their own autopsy.

I'm not sure if he will be convicted though. I thought it was a slam dunk in other cases - Tamir Rice? White cop literally gunned down a 12 year old boy while he was playing? No criminal charges even filed, and the cop was fired - 2 years later. Eric Garner? No charges filed. Countless others of course...

So its a small step that he was *charged*, but I honestly don't hold my breath. He was fired, his wife is divorcing him, and he wont be able to get a job in the future without everyone knowing he murdered this man. That may have to do.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Soooo is everyone gonna say these cops are justified in running over protesters even though that was a peaceful protest? Ripping off the mask of someone unarmed, arms raised so they can pepper spray him? Gassing city hall after a peaceful protest?

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Soooo is everyone gonna say these cops are justified in running over protesters even though that was a peaceful protest? Ripping off the mask of someone unarmed, arms raised so they can pepper spray him? Gassing city hall after a peaceful protest?

Horrific. And I haven’t read the article yet but seems as if DeBlasio is blaming the protesters.

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
Hey! At least the looters are wearings masks....that's SO important these days. :roll:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What sort of negligent, careless, dimwitted lunatic brings a child to one of these protests, knowing how flammable they can become at any moment... I am completely lost for words.

50A1620F-B12B-4DB1-8455-47ACC6C5AE5D.png

Saw this just now (edited to upload correct screenshot):

73BF80C4-7D87-4096-AC75-C43D21CD9790.png

Last edited:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Babyblue033

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I know we are all angry about what's happening around the country, but I stumbled onto this and she made me feel... hopeful. Not everyone might agree with how she's approaching this but as she says, all voices are needed and each voice might reach different people. This one reached me personally in a much deeper way than some of the louder voices recently, so just wanted to share in case it's needed by anyone else.

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What sort of negligent, careless, dimwitted lunatic brings a child to one of these protests, knowing how flammable they can become at any moment... I am completely lost for words.

50A1620F-B12B-4DB1-8455-47ACC6C5AE5D.png

Saw this just now (edited to upload correct screenshot):

73BF80C4-7D87-4096-AC75-C43D21CD9790.png

I want to know what sort of negligent, careless, dimwitted lunatic cop pepper sprays a child.

Edited to add: also, that 10% charge on your phone is making my neurotic self nervous. I want to give you a charger. :lol:

On a more serious note, I think our responses to that child being pepper sprayed is like a metaphor for the larger issues at hand. Two people can look at the same thing and come away with completely different takes.

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results