shape
carat
color
clarity

Things White People Can Do To Promote Racial Justice

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No worries @ForteKitty, you took action and I appreciate it.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Dancing Fire smh...
Do chinese mafia or Yakuza ring any bells for starters?
I agree with @ForteKitty ... you're promoting a stereotype that does asians no good.
There are Mafia in every race. I feel sorry for people who are ashamed of their own skin color.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
There are Mafia in every race. I feel sorry for people who are ashamed of their own skin color.

LOL it's not shame. I am proud of my culture,I speak fluent Mandarin and can read... writing is terrible, but whatever I'm ABC. However, I don't tolerate BS. And your holier-than-thou attitude is whats wrong with people. You think by staying quiet and hiding, you are safe, but you're not. People still judge you for your skin color. You will always be judged. And it's crazy to me that you'd judge others the same way because you think your skintone is better than someone else's.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, you have zero self awareness. You said people should be "like Asians"... as if we are better than others... did you already forget you wrote that?
We are most peaceful people among all minorities ... :praise:

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock

Is that right? Is that why my grandmother's village was slaughtered during WW2? Is that why my grandfather had to escape China for being an intellectual? (p.s. Asian people killed almost all my ancestors,in case you didn't notice, not peacefully either) Spare me the rhetoric. We are taught to keep our heads down and don't cause trouble. It's not peace, it's fear.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
People still judge you for your skin color. You will always be judged. And it's crazy to me that you'd judge others the same way because you think your skintone is better than someone else's.
The only time a white dude called "a Chinaman" was in Jr. HS. I took care of him that day. .. boxinggy2.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is that right? Is that why my grandmother's village was slaughtered during WW2? Is that why my grandfather had to escape China for being an intellectual? (p.s. Asian people killed almost all my ancestors,in case you didn't notice, not peacefully either) Spare me the rhetoric. We are taught to keep our heads down and don't cause trouble. It's not peace, it's fear.
I'm saying here in the US. FYI, Asians are not the minority in Asian countries.

Last edited:

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Asians are complicit in a racist justice system when we choose not to examine our own role and acknowledge our privilege.

1590905555035.jpeg

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I'm saying here in the US.

In the 90s, there were often race wars in the LA area. The Asian gangs were huge. Sometimes they fought each other. Drive by shootings, stabbings. Tons of kids in my school went to juvie and eventually jail. I did not associate with the gang bangers, but everyone knew they were. You can't claim they don't count because you didn't personally "hang" with them. Asians are not better, we just get away with more because of the model minority stereotypes.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Asians are complicit in a racist justice system when we choose not to examine our own role and acknowledge our privilege.

1590905555035.jpeg

Exactly. Thank you for saying it so eloquently. I'm so riled up I can't think. We cannot continue to stay silent and complicit.

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Hi DF,:wavey: can you clarify your statement please? So when I venture to the wild west of hangouts I usually have you on mute because, well, you like to have a bit of fun and stir the pot don't you? And I need to be sure I am in a calm enough mood to read some comments. Not just you and not just on PS. And not just political. I mute my friends who share too many food pics,baby pics, selfies, etc... I am rather intolerant of a lot :lol:

But are you, by saying Asians are the most peaceful group, also saying that another groups is the most violent? You cannot state one is the most peaceful without implying another is less so.

What is the order of that classification?
And why?
Are you referring only to the US and the people within those borders?
At only 2020?
Or since the beginning? If so, what date is the 'beginning' to you?

Are you saying it is a genetic component?
Or cultural?
Are you taking into account generational disenfranchisement? Both institutional and more broadly societal?

I disagree with you, obviously, but am NOT asking these questions rhetorically. I would genuinely be interested to hear your answers. Thanks and hope you are well.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

1590905555035.jpeg
He should be charged for murder too!. He was just standing there watching another Cop committing murder...:angryfire: . I call it the way I see it. I don't care if he is an Asian Cop.

Last edited:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Are you referring only to the US and the people within those borders?
Yes here in the US. The statistics shows that Asians (ratio wise) don't commit many crimes.

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It’s really irresponsible to post misinformation about the riots/rioters that has repeatedly been refuted, e.g. that they are part of one ‘political’ group. I seriously doubt Joe Biden & Hollywood types would be donating millions to ‘bail funds’ to help them get out of jail if/when arrested if the rioters were what was stated upthread.

I don't believe anyone is claiming that those who are rioting as opposed to peacefully protesting, or more precisely those who are instigating violence and/or criminal damage, are all only part of one political group. I stated very specifically that the majority - not all - are observed to be a mix of white nationalists and supremacists, opportunists looking for economic gain from looting, and just flat out angry people looking to "vent' about whatever they're angry about, thinking that the chaos will protect them from getting caught. This is coming from the people on the ground there. That also leaves out the remainder - a small minority - who intended to peacefully protest about the issue at hand, but lost control of their emotions in the moment, and, unfortunately, based on videos I've seen with my own eyes, a few members of the police force instigating violence and aggression, such as in Seattle and in Columbus, Ohio.

As far as the bail funds to which you refer, they are for the peaceful protesters that get arrested even though they are being peaceful. Because that happens, too.

Last edited:

JPie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Returning to the original spirit of this thread, here’s a great IG account to follow if you want to see what the protests look like on the ground:

In case the link doesn’t work, it’s @shaunking

Fair warning: you will see graphic videos of violence against peaceful protesters perpetrated by the police. (And seriously, police brutality at protests against police brutality? Not the first time in history, I know, but always ridiculous.)

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We need real change in our society. It is important for all of us to make our voices heard. There is no doubt in my mind that silence is complicity. I do not condone violence nor do I condone destruction of property but on some real level I understand the frustration and the motivation behind such acts and I agree we must focus on the issue at hand while keeping people safe.

There have been protests every day in my Brooklyn neighborhood since the Floyd murder. Some peaceful and some not. But the people are making themselves heard and that is critical. Here is a peaceful protest from last night in my neighborhood.

The words of the great Martin Luther King Jr. have been on my mind since the murder of George Floyd.

"The time is always right to do what is right."

"There comes a time when silence is betrayal. Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter. In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends."

"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter."

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Terrifying. Heartbreaking. Real. Unreal. We must promote change for the better. This is unacceptable.
:(

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last night our bell rang. My dh was in the shower. I opened the door. It was 2 police officers. Young. Polite. They asked if I had dialed 911. I said no. They said am I ok. I said yes. We’re fine. They asked if my phone was working. I said yes. They asked my phone number. I forgot it lol. But after a minute I remembered. Omg. They were polite and nice throughout. I asked if they wanted to come in. I forgot momentarily all about Covid 19 and they weren’t wearing masks but they kept their distance of over 6 feet the entire encounter. They politely declined.

They asked if my dh was home. I said he’s in the shower. They asked could he have fallen? I said no he left to take a shower a second before they rang the bell.

They thanked me for my time and left. But not until complimenting our view.

What if I had been black? I have no idea how they would have responded. They might have treated me the exact same way. They might have insisted on coming in. I have no way of knowing. I do know this. Being black in this country can be scary no matter how law abiding one is.

It could have gone differently. It might not have. We will never know. But I know I would have been sweating a lot more if I was black and had that same encounter.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OH goodness, I don't get what you are saying? this is neither cute nor snarky, it's a fact. If one doesn't understand the oppression and prejudice that people of color then they need to educate themselves.

Oh for gods sake.
Yeah, that’s it.
You nailed me.

If cutesy snarkisms like this reflect the median maturity of the average American it’s no wonder we’ve got societal problems.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is my point thank you. I am not condoning destruction but I can understand why it happened and I'm not pointing to anyone. Thank you.

I don’t think you’re more upset about the destruction of a small, family-owned business than you are about George Floyd’s murder. I think you’re right that you can feel empathy for both situations at the same time.

@telephone89 wasn’t applauding or celebrating the fact that that family lost their business. She was applauding their attitude about their situation and the fact that they want to turn the focus back to the importance of the protests. I don’t think she lacks empathy any more than you do.

From my POV, focusing on the looting detracts from the larger issue of violence and murder perpetrated against black people by the police. It also achieves what the instigators of those crimes want to accomplish, which is to tear us apart and get us to condemn the behavior of protesters when it’s not the protesters’ fault.

It’s not my place to say what people can or can’t post here, but I just want to make it clear that nobody is condoning the destruction of family businesses.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with everything you say.

Looks like your friend’s account is private @JPie.
Edit - slow typing.

I will not condemn anyone for feeling what they feel about loss and suffering, not will I try to regulate or “peer pressure” others into expressing certain feelings about loss and suffering.

If someone is grieving for a life lost needlessly and unfairly, that’s a valid way to feel.
If someone is angry about racial division, that’s a valid way to feel.
If someone is upset about property loss, that’s a valid way to feel.
If someone is scared for the future of his community, that’s a valid way to feel.

I’m done here for real.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
another one by me :)

My son lives in Brooklyn, near where the police car was set afire, watched (in his estimation and he's a math guy) 5K people march by his apt window, he's on the 2nd floor of his building, he heard all the police cars, ambulances and screaming and he said "mom, I would guess that 70% of the protestors were white". Now he's hanging out his window on DeKalb, and this is only anecdotal, but he did watch the march.

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We spent the entire evening watching the looting Being reported in LA and In the local city that I teach at and that my mom lives in . I’m using the word looting bc that is what the protests evolved to. It was demoralizing. It was especially painful bc I teach those teens! And I thought that I had been doing a good job. I thought my school had been doing a good job. We empower them daily. We teach multicultural literature. We implement restorative justice. We work with parents closely. We spent the entire quarantine making sure they would be fed twice daily. But yesterday the 400 teens who organized a “protest” at 8 pm—after neighboring cities held their peaceful one in the afternoon—clearly had ulterior motives and I can not justify the destruction they committed. Bc I know my people and I know what we have done for them. I was disgusted and demoralized and I could not empathize. I can’t empathize when I know these teens were being opportunistic. One news shot showed parents dragging their kid home—and I felt hopeful. I don’t know LA, but I know people in LA who were proud of the protest until it was taken over by looters. It was revolting.
Now. As livid as I was, I couldn’t help but notice that channel 7 newscasters were editorializing their reports. They compared the looters to cockroaches and constantly mocked them. These reporters called one young lady “articulate and eloquent” when she was interviewed by a white reporter who clearly kept trying to trip her up. And I thought to myself—this is part of the problem. This is the racism that many are fighting against, and I didn’t know what was disgusting me more—the reporting or the looting. Just venting. Thanks.

Tekate

Ideal_Rock
Premium
No one is dismissing their loss I am not dismissing their loss, what I am saying is, I understand why people of color have done this.. I understand it, if blacks were marching nicely it would make the NYTimes and be forgotten the next day. We need real change BUT looting and stealing isn't the answer of course.

This was a good reading, to give me better perspective and insight into what's happening.

I have to say, I cannot agree with you more. While I'm mostly outraged by the blatant racism and one's life lost so needlessly, I am also incredibly sad that a family business has to accept the lost of their life's work because it was "for good cause". That is especially true if these looters are not part of the peaceful protesters and are causing destruction for their own agendas. What good is coming out of them losing everything then?

Not to mention, just a few days ago we were having heated discussions about the damage being done to our economy, to the small business owners especially, due to cities being closed due to the pandemic. Some of us were adamant that we needed to reopen the cities ASAP in order to save our economy. But today we are ok with a family business losing everything, who probably was already devastated by the pandemic, because it should not be a distraction from the main issue at hand. Am I the only one seeing a hypocrisy in that?

I am not saying their business is worth more than the life of a person. But I'm not ok with dismissing their loss simply because people think it is "less important". They lost their livelihood, and that is important too.

And I am outraged by the thought that small groups are using this situation to further their agendas, bringing violence and destruction to places already struggling with the global pandemic.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last night our bell rang. My dh was in the shower. I opened the door. It was 2 police officers. Young. Polite. They asked if I had dialed 911. I said no. They said am I ok. I said yes. We’re fine. They asked if my phone was working. I said yes. They asked my phone number.

What am I missing here? Isn't protocol for them to introduce themselves by name and explain why they're there instead of launching into questions? Shouldn't they have asked if your phone # was XXX-XXXX and explain that emergency dispatch received a 911 call from it? Did you ask to see ID, get their badge numbers and verify with your local station that they were indeed legit officers? Something doesn't feel right to me the way you've explained the encounter. Two years ago we had 2 young men posing as officers (with legit looking uniforms & badges) preying on elderly people -- using stories similar to yours to gain entry to their homes and beating and robbing them. They were caught, thankfully.

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy A similar thing happened to me as well. Our local area code has a 9 and a 1 in it and once I accidentally dialed 911 but hung up immediately, surely before connection. Within five minutes a policeman was at my front door. I almost didn’t open it, as I was home alone and do not open the door at those times.
I explained and he did not ask to come in or anything else. I was embarrassed but relieved since the response time was incredibly quick.
I can see how it may have gone down differently if I was a POC.

@nala I’m sorry. Keep up the good fight. You are making a difference despite what you saw last night. I’m sure you’ve touched the lives of many and changed their life course for the better.

737liz

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This is tangentially related to the original post. What can white people do to help.

Speaking to the %of people arrestes who were from the city. As previously pointed out those people were not necessarily looters. Disobedience without violence is a powerful tactic in protest. It is sometimes a very effective way to garner attention to a cause. With parents who met the summer of 69 at Berkeley, family stories included phrases like 'and kids, if you find something worth fighting for, you want to be sure to have a plan for if the cops get you'. My parents were talking about failure to disperse, defying curfew; arrests that were in no way linked to violence or disregard for property or objects. All that to say, an arrest in times of protest does not equate to having done something wrong. If someone is from a socially privileged group, using that privilege to willingly be arrested is a useful tool. Think about the famous actors who regularly get themselves marched off in handcuffs for causes they believe in. Think about the 'large numbers of arrests' quoted by newsagencies. It helps shine a light on the situation.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results