shape
carat
color
clarity

Things to see in Singapore?

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Alright PSers! Any fun things to see in Singapore for someone who’s never been? I will have 1.5 days (and maybe evenings) to explore, as I’m going on a business trip. Especially interested in food, cultural sites and jewelry of course!

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Omg so exciting! I’ve always wanted to visit :) I hope you post lots of pics when you get back!

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think I would go see marina Bay at night from one of the big bars like level 33 or lantern at the Fullerton (I always think this second one's a bit over priced through). You'll likely have to book level 33 before you arrive though. I also like the nighttime cruise arround the bay. And the night safari. Singapore is too hot to do much during the center of the day.

I'd check trip dates in case you're here during mid autum festival. If so I'd go see the lantern installations (Gardens by the bay may have something as will Clarke quey. Again you may have to book as they are crowd controlled due to pandemic). I'd also try some moon cake.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
I think I would go see marina Bay at night from one of the big bars like level 33 or lantern at the Fullerton (I always think this second one's a bit over priced through). You'll likely have to book level 33 before you arrive though. I also like the nighttime cruise arround the bay. And the night safari. Singapore is too hot to do much during the center of the day.

I'd check trip dates in case you're here during mid autum festival. If so I'd go see the lantern installations (Gardens by the bay may have something as will Clarke quey. Again you may have to book as they are crowd controlled due to pandemic). I'd also try some moon cake.

Love these recommendations! I love moon cake…

Unfortunately it looks like I will miss the mid autumn festival, I’m there from Aug 16-22nd!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Alright PSers! Any fun things to see in Singapore for someone who’s never been? I will have 1.5 days (and maybe evenings) to explore, as I’m going on a business trip. Especially interested in food, cultural sites and jewelry of course!

I love Gardens by the Bay. Go to the 2 domes, it’s nice and air conditioned.
Echo re Night Safari, is quite nice. Only 1.5 days so not much time.

Mid-Autumn festival is 10 Sep but I think lanterns usually go up in Chinatown a month before so you can pop by to have a look too. But I do find Chinatown a bit hot and dirty… just so you know. Moon cakes should be on sale by then. Try the snow skin ones.

Food wise if you are on your own… maybe just go to Orchard Ion basement 4 foodcourt and try some of the local food. Whatever catches your eye. There is so much food I’m not sure how to rec. Oh ya, personally I love bak kwa. Pls try some from Lim Chee Guan. The sliced pork (not minced, not chicken or any other funny varieties), also at Orchard Ion basement 4. Maybe ask for sample and if you like then buy 500gram or 1kg.

If budget allows, you can go Jumbo. Avoid the mee goreng as it is super spicy. This is nice and convenient. I order it when I just want to satisfy my Chili crab craving without dirtying my hands or ordering one whole crab. Ion has an outlet and many outlets around Singapore.
6959BA84-C1C3-4D44-8F69-2E257E82DE5C.jpeg

Jewel at Changi is beautiful. Go to the airport as early as you can and just enjoy the place. You can check if your airlines offers early check in so you can shop around.

If you have done your research and want to check if something is worth the time, just ask and @ those of us in Singapore.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love Gardens by the Bay. Go to the 2 domes, it’s nice and air conditioned.
Echo re Night Safari, is quite nice. Only 1.5 days so not much time.

Mid-Autumn festival is 10 Sep but I think lanterns usually go up in Chinatown a month before so you can pop by to have a look too. But I do find Chinatown a bit hot and dirty… just so you know. Moon cakes should be on sale by then. Try the snow skin ones.

Food wise if you are on your own… maybe just go to Orchard Ion basement 4 foodcourt and try some of the local food. Whatever catches your eye. There is so much food I’m not sure how to rec. Oh ya, personally I love bak kwa. Pls try some from Lim Chee Guan. The sliced pork (not minced, not chicken or any other funny varieties), also at Orchard Ion basement 4. Maybe ask for sample and if you like then buy 500gram or 1kg.

If budget allows, you can go Jumbo. Avoid the mee goreng as it is super spicy. This is nice and convenient. I order it when I just want to satisfy my Chili crab craving without dirtying my hands or ordering one whole crab. Ion has an outlet and many outlets around Singapore.
6959BA84-C1C3-4D44-8F69-2E257E82DE5C.jpeg

Jewel at Changi is beautiful. Go to the airport as early as you can and just enjoy the place. You can check if your airlines offers early check in so you can shop around.

If you have done your research and want to check if something is worth the time, just ask and @ those of us in Singapore.

oh its freezing here, i want to go too !
not very often you hear of someone speak so fondly of their airport

may i ask what is your covid situation like just now ?

qubitasaurus

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Love these recommendations! I love moon cake…

Unfortunately it looks like I will miss the mid autumn festival, I’m there from Aug 16-22nd!

Mid autum festival lasts for a month, they'll be selling moon cakes in all the shopping plazas while you're here. I agree with IcyJade lanterns will likely be up at China Town but perhaps not at the other locations. You'd have to Google it closer to the date.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
oh its freezing here, i want to go too !
not very often you hear of someone speak so fondly of their airport

may i ask what is your covid situation like just now ?

The Singapore airport is fabulous. I always feel so happy after I land and walk out of the plane.

Took this off the internet but there is really a garden and waterfall in the middle of Jewel (and shopping or food all around in a circle). This is a shopping complex sitting between the airport terminals but the terminals are not too shabby either.

779D8689-31EE-483D-8B55-58687DB5FA0D.jpeg

We are in the midst of a covid wave (BA variants) but life is very much BAU. If you get covid then u stay home till you recover. Lots of people I know who avoided previous covid waves tested positive this time round.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
The Singapore airport is fabulous. I always feel so happy after I land and walk out of the plane.

Took this off the internet but there is really a garden and waterfall in the middle of Jewel (and shopping or food all around in a circle). This is a shopping complex sitting between the airport terminals but the terminals are not too shabby either.

We are in the midst of a covid wave (BA variants) but life is very much BAU. If you get covid then u stay home till you recover. Lots of people I know who avoided previous covid waves tested positive this time round.

oh wow ! :kiss2:
my apologies to Singapore - i have seen that on tv :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

sounds very much like covid is behaving here
all the same please stay safe Ms Jade =)2

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
oh wow ! :kiss2:
my apologies to Singapore - i have seen that on tv :appl: :appl: :appl: :appl:

sounds very much like covid is behaving here
all the same please stay safe Ms Jade =)2

Thanks Daisy. I’m actually recovering from covid. But am ok, just not used to being sick after over 2 years being flu-free etc. Am hearing about similar waves in various parts of the world but at least this time it seems it mostly fairly mild cases thankfully.

Hope everyone stays safe and well. You take care too.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks Daisy. I’m actually recovering from covid. But am ok, just not used to being sick after over 2 years being flu-free etc. Am hearing about similar waves in various parts of the world but at least this time it seems it mostly fairly mild cases thankfully.

thank you
im so releaved you only have a mild case
every 2nd person here seems to have covid or flu
the flu is scary too (years ago Gary not pneumonia with the influenza)

most of us here also havn't been sick for two yesrs either - its been more than 3 for Gary and I (we live like hermits)

but that worries me -although im really enjoying not being sick i think the common cold might floor me
the boarder opens fully in 3 days

but i embrace the mask and wash my hands - they say its harder to catch flu than covid

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock

Thanks for the heads up and all of the recommendations. I just recovered from covid a month ago from another international trip to Tel Aviv. Hoping it was a variant that will keep me safe from getting sick immediately right now!

I love food and I love SPICY so really appreciate your recommendations!!! The food court sounds perfect!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the heads up and all of the recommendations. I just recovered from covid a month ago from another international trip to Tel Aviv. Hoping it was a variant that will keep me safe from getting sick immediately right now!

I love food and I love SPICY so really appreciate your recommendations!!! The food court sounds perfect!

oh be careful
ive read of people catching it again in ridiculously short time frames

lucida818

Brilliant_Rock
You may visit Wriston of Asiatique located at B1 of Lucky Plaza, Orchard Road. Closed on Sunday.

Brigid

Shiny_Rock
I love Singapore, it’s great for a girl’s week away for shopping which my friends & I were doing on a yearly basis before COVID arrived.
Raffles Hotel is a must see, and it’s is a beautiful place to stay, their High Tea is sumptuous but I have loved all my dining experiences there.
Marina Bay Sands is amazing for shopping and restaurants too.

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
@Cerulean I agree with @seafarm on Raffles Hotel. While there you might like to try a dim sum lunch at Yi by Jereme Leung or afternoon tea at the lounge. If you go in the evening, the Long Bar or Courtyard would be nice for a Singapore sling. For a splurge, try LeDame de Pic (book in advance), one of my favourite restaurants for a treat. A rooftop or restaurant is also a good way to appreciate how compact Singapore is. Don’t spend on the Flyer, have a meal instead!
The bird park is fun. You get to see a great variety of birds in a short period of time, many flying free. https://www.mandai.com/en/jurong-bird-park.html
The Singapore Botanic Gardens is SG’s only UNESCO world heritage site and has lush vegetation, ponds and a fab collection of orchids. https://www.visitsingapore.com/s
The Asian Civilizations Museum (ACM) has a section on jewellery, and a great collection of Asian ceramics. https://www.nhb.gov.sg/acm/ You can link the ACM visit with a boat ride on the Singapore River, a visit to the Fullerton and Collyer quay.
If you have very little time, go to Chinatown. You can find good jewellery buys, many food choices and several tourist spots all in one place. Look for shops with the hallmark https://www.singaporeassayoffice.com.sg/ and CaseTrust accreditation https://www.casetrust.org.sg/accreditation-detail.aspx?id=13
My fav shop in Chinatown is On Cheong Jewellery (251 South Bridge Road), run by the president of the Singapore Jewellers Association. https://oncheong.com/about-us/ Their selection is eclectic — from traditional to Italian-made and in-house creations with diamonds, gems and jadeite. Their jadeite comes with certificates from Hong Kong Jade & Stone Lab or Nanyang Gem Lab (two highly respected labs). The staff speak English and don’t hard sell. Near On Cheong, you can stop by the famous Maxwell Hawker Centre. For dessert, try Tong Heng (a traditional bakery with yummy wobbly egg tarts) along the same stretch as On Cheong, and Pure Pandan across the road for pandan cake, a Singapore signature. Nearby, you can visit the Buddha Tooth relic temple, the Sri Mariamann Hindu temple and the Jamae Mosque (3 culturally significant places of worship, harmoniously on one street).
Other jewellery shops with great eye candy are:
Vihari at The Paragon. https://instagram.com/viharijewels?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y= is a bit like a museum. There is a gallery of rare gems, each with its own showcase. Everything costs at least 5 figures, many are 6 figures and some are 7.
Mouawad — which makes the crowns for beauty contests — is also at Paragon https://www.mouawad.com/en
Caratell - committed to ethical sourcing — offers jewellery made from unusual stones like bixbite. They have beautiful designs. https://instagram.com/caratellpl?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
Foundation Jewellers specializes in traditional Peranakan designs and made the brooch that Singapore presented to Queen Elizabeth. http://foundationjewellers.com/

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock

@Cerulean I hope this gives you some assurance - ”Prior Omicron infection protects against BA.4 and BA.5 variants”

@icy_jade Hope you will recover soon!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Oh ya I hope you are able to fly in via Singapore Airlines… the experience is much more pleasant vs the American airlines. Seats, service, and food. Speaking from experience, not out of patriotism towards my national airlines.

Not sure if you are in the mood to buy, but if you are going to Jann Paul, you can consider to go to Far East Plaza at Scotts Road (not Far East Shopping Centre) and have a look at some of the jewelry shops.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Oh ya I hope you are able to fly in via Singapore Airlines… the experience is much more pleasant vs the American airlines. Seats, service, and food. Speaking from experience, not out of patriotism towards my national airlines.

Not sure if you are in the mood to buy, but if you are going to Jann Paul, you can consider to go to Far East Plaza at Scotts Road (not Far East Shopping Centre) and have a look at some of the jewelry shops.

I’m flying United / Thai International as I’m coming from Bangkok (first few days are there). I think though that my United flight is serviced by Nippon? All very confusing…

But that’s really good to know! I will next time try to pick them!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
@Cerulean I agree with @seafarm on Raffles Hotel. While there you might like to try a dim sum lunch at Yi by Jereme Leung or afternoon tea at the lounge. If you go in the evening, the Long Bar or Courtyard would be nice for a Singapore sling. For a splurge, try LeDame de Pic (book in advance), one of my favourite restaurants for a treat. A rooftop or restaurant is also a good way to appreciate how compact Singapore is. Don’t spend on the Flyer, have a meal instead!
The bird park is fun. You get to see a great variety of birds in a short period of time, many flying free. https://www.mandai.com/en/jurong-bird-park.html
The Singapore Botanic Gardens is SG’s only UNESCO world heritage site and has lush vegetation, ponds and a fab collection of orchids. https://www.visitsingapore.com/s
The Asian Civilizations Museum (ACM) has a section on jewellery, and a great collection of Asian ceramics. https://www.nhb.gov.sg/acm/ You can link the ACM visit with a boat ride on the Singapore River, a visit to the Fullerton and Collyer quay.
If you have very little time, go to Chinatown. You can find good jewellery buys, many food choices and several tourist spots all in one place. Look for shops with the hallmark https://www.singaporeassayoffice.com.sg/ and CaseTrust accreditation https://www.casetrust.org.sg/accreditation-detail.aspx?id=13
My fav shop in Chinatown is On Cheong Jewellery (251 South Bridge Road), run by the president of the Singapore Jewellers Association. https://oncheong.com/about-us/ Their selection is eclectic — from traditional to Italian-made and in-house creations with diamonds, gems and jadeite. Their jadeite comes with certificates from Hong Kong Jade & Stone Lab or Nanyang Gem Lab (two highly respected labs). The staff speak English and don’t hard sell. Near On Cheong, you can stop by the famous Maxwell Hawker Centre. For dessert, try Tong Heng (a traditional bakery with yummy wobbly egg tarts) along the same stretch as On Cheong, and Pure Pandan across the road for pandan cake, a Singapore signature. Nearby, you can visit the Buddha Tooth relic temple, the Sri Mariamann Hindu temple and the Jamae Mosque (3 culturally significant places of worship, harmoniously on one street).
Other jewellery shops with great eye candy are:
Vihari at The Paragon. https://instagram.com/viharijewels?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y= is a bit like a museum. There is a gallery of rare gems, each with its own showcase. Everything costs at least 5 figures, many are 6 figures and some are 7.
Mouawad — which makes the crowns for beauty contests — is also at Paragon https://www.mouawad.com/en
Caratell - committed to ethical sourcing — offers jewellery made from unusual stones like bixbite. They have beautiful designs. https://instagram.com/caratellpl?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
Foundation Jewellers specializes in traditional Peranakan designs and made the brooch that Singapore presented to Queen Elizabeth. http://foundationjewellers.com/

Wow this is incredible! I love all of these recommendations! I’m drooling just thinking about the egg tarts…

You’re making me realize that I must spend more time there next time. I will definitely try to go to the gardens especially…and it sounds like that hotel is fabulous!!! Many thanks for taking the time to write all of this out

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
I’m flying United / Thai International as I’m coming from Bangkok (first few days are there). I think though that my United flight is serviced by Nippon? All very confusing…
Wow this is incredible! I love all of these recommendations! I’m drooling just thinking about the egg tarts…

You’re making me realize that I must spend more time there next time. I will definitely try to go to the gardens especially…and it sounds like that hotel is fabulous!!! Many thanks for taking the time to write all of this out
All Nippon Air is very good, polite and efficient. Hope you will have a great time in Singapore, and return for a longer stay!

To add to all the wonderful suggestions: you must, must, must eat chicken rice from whatever relatively popular hawker stall is close to where you’re staying! I think it’s my favourite thing to eat in Singapore - even more than the chilli crab tbh. The chicken meat is fabulous of course, especially when they roast the skin, but the rice is also uniquely delicious, the bok Choy is fabulous, and the wonton soup is the star of the show (not all hawkers do a wonton soup as default though).

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock

Was able to switch my flights to Singapore air as my itinerary changed a bit, very curious to experience it, as now a few people have mentioned how nice it is!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Was able to switch my flights to Singapore air as my itinerary changed a bit, very curious to experience it, as now a few people have mentioned how nice it is!

That’s great!

Business class? I love the service. Do try the Singapore Sling on board and hmm I think TWG tea there is a special edition too. Hopefully there is satay and you can also do book the cook.

Remember to download the app a few days before to start downloading mags (I think from 3 days before) if you like to browse mags if not there is inflight entertainment of course.

When u fly back worth popping by the business lounge at Changi Airport too.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results