shape
carat
color
clarity

Things to see in Singapore?

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
That’s great!

Business class? I love the service. Do try the Singapore Sling on board and hmm I think TWG tea there is a special edition too. Hopefully there is satay and you can also do book the cook.

Remember to download the app a few days before to start downloading mags (I think from 3 days before) if you like to browse mags if not there is inflight entertainment of course.

When u fly back worth popping by the business lounge at Changi Airport too.

Thanks so much for the recommendations. I love Singapore Slings and was introduced to them a while ago, can’t wait to try in their namesake country…

It’s funny how much business class varies across airlines…I wish things were a bit more standardized! I usually fly United simply because they offer the most domestic and international flights in the US but their planes are generally squished and terrible food…I try to book through alliance partnerships as much as possible :lol:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
It’s funny how much business class varies across airlines…I wish things were a bit more standardized! I usually fly United simply because they offer the most domestic and international flights in the US but their planes are generally squished and terrible food…I try to book through alliance partnerships as much as possible :lol:

Yeah my co has lowest cost policy which sucks cos UA business is like SQ premium econ (just by seats, service is worst than SQ economy I think) so when you compare business prices then obviously UA is cheaper but the business class really isn’t business class.

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
Was able to switch my flights to Singapore air as my itinerary changed a bit, very curious to experience it, as now a few people have mentioned how nice it is!
@Cerulean Happy to hear that! Will you still be flying via Bangkok or will it be a longer flight? SIA has a good variety of drinks and decent champagne and cheese I always look forward to the satay. i usually pick a solo seat next to the window so I can take in the view. The approach into Singapore is worth seeing!

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We flew to Australia on Singapore (1st) and the service and food was amazing. They just couldn’t do enough to make it a great experience. I noticed that everytime someone used the toilet, it was immediately cleaned by one of the attendants.

Flying to Singapore via Emirates in the near future, so it’ll be interesting to see how they compare.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
@Cerulean Happy to hear that! Will you still be flying via Bangkok or will it be a longer flight? SIA has a good variety of drinks and decent champagne and cheese I always look forward to the satay. i usually pick a solo seat next to the window so I can take in the view. The approach into Singapore is worth seeing!

I dropped the leg to Bangkok altogether and am flying from San Francisco…veeery long flight! 16.5 hours….:eek-2: Longest flight I’ve been on!

Great to know. I bought all of this backup food as I detest the food on United but it seems like that was not necessary at all! Excited to experience it!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
We flew to Australia on Singapore (1st) and the service and food was amazing. They just couldn’t do enough to make it a great experience. I noticed that everytime someone used the toilet, it was immediately cleaned by one of the attendants.

Flying to Singapore via Emirates in the near future, so it’ll be interesting to see how they compare.

Wow, cleaning the toilet after every use? Unheard of! Amazing…I’m fastidious and really don’t care for public restrooms! What a nice thing

Oh I’d be curious to know the differences as well…it’s possible I’ll be back in the future!

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
I dropped the leg to Bangkok altogether and am flying from San Francisco…veeery long flight! 16.5 hours….:eek-2: Longest flight I’ve been on!

Great to know. I bought all of this backup food as I detest the food on United but it seems like that was not necessary at all! Excited to experience it!
You can ask for snacks or tea in between meals, too :mrgreen2:
I have taken the non-stop CA or NY to Singapore flights. I set my watch to destination time as soon as i get on the flight. To pass the time, I sleep (I pack my own earplugs), hydrate and keep moving. I brush my teeth after each meal and also do stretches/stand, I use sheet masks (might as well do a mini spa) lip serum, and a facial spritz. I also pack a book or two. The movie and music selections are great. Hope you will enjoy the flight and in good shape!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
You don’t have to worry. Read this

Food is good. You can book the cook if you like lobster. Also I think there are usually reviews online of the various selections. I usually check the reviews to decide if I want to order a special meal or go with the standard selection.

Enjoy and let us know what you thought of the flight.

seafarm

Shiny_Rock
I’m sure you will be more than impressed with Singapore Airlines. They are very focused on the whole customer experience.

Not sure about SQ, but some airlines allow you to pre order your meal choice (as well as your seat) prior to check in. Airlines are catered to a certain number of each choice of meal, so your preferred item on the menu may not be available to you when orders are taken onboard.

16.5 hours will fly by (pardon the pun!). Keep yourself hydrated, go for a walk, use earplugs and eyeshades. Kick back, relax and enjoy the whole experience, I’m sure you won’t be disappointed.

Most importantly, enjoy Singapore…..it’s an absolutely amazing city!

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Thank you again everyone for such wonderful suggestions. @Crimson I took your suggestions to visit Tong Heng and On Cheong and had tons of fun.

@icy_jade i went to the botanical gardens today too! What a magical place. You weren’t kidding about the heat, I usually barely sweat and I was drenched after a few hours and my hair outrageously poofy ! :lol: And I tried snow skin moon cake…incredible - I’ve never seen this in america

Was tempted to buy the pendant below, but after seeing IRL I really fell for the white ice (?) jade and didn’t want to settle for anything green. These were some of the least expensive pendants (aside from the carved dragon) - really gained an appreciation for jade. The super translucent pieces were just otherworldly

They had some pretty GSS too but the pair I liked best had a color match that would’ve bugged me

Some fun photos of this magical place!

DF055501-9534-4D62-9911-A1A9C885B0DF.jpeg

95D5E02B-E856-4FDC-B62C-73F134A3688C.jpeg

B72A7E53-D21B-45FA-BEE9-BB2F149BA140.jpeg

053C1349-8750-4ECC-8BF7-DD67A0A3A785.jpeg

B3C1718E-F55E-44F2-8955-4F0445E71CF8.jpeg

440FA5F8-B3A8-4065-86D0-654E8DA84CB7.jpeg

611033E0-7F5B-43E7-8395-A9E0EFECCE88.jpeg

seafarm

Shiny_Rock
If you like Singapore orchids, buy yourself a box to take home. They will last 2-3 weeks, possibly longer.

If you don’t get them in town, you can buy them boxed and ready to go at the airport. A lovely reminder of your travels.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Which shop did you visit? Yes yes I think people in Asia appreciate jade more as we have the opportunity to see really stunning examples. The western market probably get more of the utility jade. I find On Cheong is a bit pricey btw.

You can consider Risis too
They actually plate real orchids

I love alcoholic snow skin mooncakes with choc truffles in the middle… mmm

Did you enjoy the flight?

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you again everyone for such wonderful suggestions. @Crimson I took your suggestions to visit Tong Heng and On Cheong and had tons of fun.

@icy_jade i went to the botanical gardens today too! What a magical place. You weren’t kidding about the heat, I usually barely sweat and I was drenched after a few hours and my hair outrageously poofy ! :lol: And I tried snow skin moon cake…incredible - I’ve never seen this in america

Was tempted to buy the pendant below, but after seeing IRL I really fell for the white ice (?) jade and didn’t want to settle for anything green. These were some of the least expensive pendants (aside from the carved dragon) - really gained an appreciation for jade. The super translucent pieces were just otherworldly

They had some pretty GSS too but the pair I liked best had a color match that would’ve bugged me

Some fun photos of this magical place!

DF055501-9534-4D62-9911-A1A9C885B0DF.jpeg

95D5E02B-E856-4FDC-B62C-73F134A3688C.jpeg

B72A7E53-D21B-45FA-BEE9-BB2F149BA140.jpeg

053C1349-8750-4ECC-8BF7-DD67A0A3A785.jpeg

B3C1718E-F55E-44F2-8955-4F0445E71CF8.jpeg

440FA5F8-B3A8-4065-86D0-654E8DA84CB7.jpeg

611033E0-7F5B-43E7-8395-A9E0EFECCE88.jpeg

Ooh! I didn’t realise you were already here, @Cerulean. So glad you are having such a wonderful time. You are such a good sport to brave the heat and try the food! Who did you speak to at On Cheong? Icy white jadeite is usually priced lower than green of equivalent quality. If you want to consider buying the icy white from On Cheong please let me know. I know all the staff there and I get a VVIP discount which you can use.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Ooh! I didn’t realise you were already here, @Cerulean. So glad you are having such a wonderful time. You are such a good sport to brave the heat and try the food! Who did you speak to at On Cheong? Icy white jadeite is usually priced lower than green of equivalent quality. If you want to consider buying the icy white from On Cheong please let me know. I know all the staff there and I get a VVIP discount which you can use.

You are so sweet to offer!!!

I forgot her name of course in the whirlwind - I think it was Lisa? Truth be told I didn’t fall in love with any of the icy jade pieces they had - they were all very ornate and I was looking for something modestly priced as a first time purchase

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Which shop did you visit? Yes yes I think people in Asia appreciate jade more as we have the opportunity to see really stunning examples. The western market probably get more of the utility jade. I find On Cheong is a bit pricey btw.

You can consider Risis too
They actually plate real orchids

I love alcoholic snow skin mooncakes with choc truffles in the middle… mmm

Did you enjoy the flight?

Oh wow that’s beautiful! I glimpsed a few on my way out from the orchid garden…I was too hot and tired to stop but they looked amazing

I did find On Cheong a bit expensive and the only reason I had a sense of price was looking at a few non-jade pieces…but they certainly had a nice selection and the SA was very nice. Are there any other shops you like for jade? I’d love something simple. I love the plain discs with a black silk cord…I’ve never owned jade before and figure a modest piece would be a good entry point

As for the flight - you were right! It was amazing. The service was truly incredible. The staff was so attentive and nice. I had many wifi issues (the only downside, I stopped trying after a while) and multiple people stopped to try and help. Would never happen on another airline! The last time I flew United the stewardess was rude because I asked for too many bottles of water :lol:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
I did find On Cheong a bit expensive and the only reason I had a sense of price was looking at a few non-jade pieces…but they certainly had a nice selection and the SA was very nice. Are there any other shops you like for jade? I’d love something simple. I love the plain discs with a black silk cord…I’ve never owned jade before and figure a modest piece would be a good entry point

Hmm…

Ok if I was truly looking clearly I would ask my regular jeweller to source but I don’t think he has any donuts right now. But but he has a few CS in and maybe you can pop by Lucky Plaza if you are interested in mahenge spinels, tsav or a big ass yellow sapphire sold (and not to me). He doesn’t have much stock tbh.

I would also go to these in Chinatown (all really near each other, like 5 min walk)
Plus go to the building called Lucky Chinatown ( it has a MacDonalds on first floor I think) and have a look at the jadeite shops there on 1st/2nd floor

And if I’m in Orchard area go to Far East Plaza and pop by
And then maybe also amble around and gawk at the displays at Huen’s and just randomly walk around to see if there is any jade fated for me. I think there is a concentration of stores on 3rd floor facing the outside facade as Nanyang lab is located on 3rd floor.

Youth Jewellery at Marriott Hotel is super expensive by the way, in case you pass by and is attracted to the gorgeous display. I was quoted such an outrageous price once I never went back again. I mean I still like to gawk at the display when I pass by but I won’t step into the store again.

Last edited:

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
As for the flight - you were right! It was amazing. The service was truly incredible. The staff was so attentive and nice. I had many wifi issues (the only downside, I stopped trying after a while) and multiple people stopped to try and help. Would never happen on another airline! The last time I flew United the stewardess was rude because I asked for too many bottles of water :lol:

Flying on Asian airlines has totally spoilt me. The hotel you are at should be ok too? Am assuming your company has a decent hotel panel. I’m always shocked by how pricey hotels are in Europe and US and erm how very lousy the service and maintenance/facilities are.

Remember to go to the airport early to check out Jewel and the airport lounge.

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
@Cerulean you can get the plated orchid jewellery by RISIS at the airport Terminal 3. If you are in town, here are some locations for RISIS. https://risis.com/pages/page-store-locations There are several along Orchard Road. RISIS now owned by BP De Silva, an established fine jeweller — my Dad’s favourite place to buy jewellery for my Mom and me :kiss2:. They are at Dempsey near the Botanic Gardens.
Re: jadeite, I hear you. @icyj_jade has given really good suggestions above - I did browse allaboutjade and Li-Hong jade but the prices were not that different from On Cheong’s. The price of jewellery in most shops has risen by about 20-30% in the last few months. Ultimatejadeite has simple and carved pendants for a reasonable price - but there is no showroom. The owner Nandar will show you the items in her apartment which is at Clementi West Street 1. https://instagram.com/ultimatejadeite?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
@Cerulean you can get the plated orchid jewellery by RISIS at the airport Terminal 3. If you are in town, here are some locations for RISIS. https://risis.com/pages/page-store-locations There are several along Orchard Road. RISIS now owned by BP De Silva, an established fine jeweller — my Dad’s favourite place to buy jewellery for my Mom and me :kiss2:. They are at Dempsey near the Botanic Gardens.
Re: jadeite, I hear you. @icyj_jade has given really good suggestions above - I did browse allaboutjade and Li-Hong jade but the prices were not that different from On Cheong’s. The price of jewellery in most shops has risen by about 20-30% in the last few months. Ultimatejadeite has simple and carved pendants for a reasonable price - but there is no showroom. The owner Nandar will show you the items in her apartment which is at Clementi West Street 1. https://instagram.com/ultimatejadeite?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

Hmm I find Li Hong expensive… as for On Cheong, I guess the VVIP discount must be good! Next time if I spot something there can I ask to use your VVIP discount? :P2

AAJ can be cheaper in person vs the website at least based on my experience, can bargain a bit. But yeah may not be the cheapest. So best to walk around n recce. Anyway just browse n get a feel of the prices. Also if @Cerulean just wants an entry level donut, then no need to get a good and expensive one. So long as it’s type A and she likes the look and price is right should be ok.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
@Cerulean Ultimatejadeite has simple and carved pendants for a reasonable price - but there is no showroom. The owner Nandar will show you the items in her apartment which is at Clementi West Street 1. https://instagram.com/ultimatejadeite?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

I didn’t mention UJ as I checked and there are only 7 donuts so may not be worth a trip all the way to the heartlands.

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm I find Li Hong expensive… as for On Cheong, I guess the VVIP discount must be good! Next time if I spot something there can I ask to use your VVIP discount? :P2
Answer in Singlish - can! All my friends (and their moms and sisters) do that =)2:mrgreen2:

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
I didn’t mention UJ as I checked and there are only 7 donuts so may not be worth a trip all the way to the heartlands.

@icy_hade I checked too :lol-2: i think we would make good jewellery personal shoppers.
I mentioned UJ because they have some nice icy pieces in other shapes that are not so expensive.
@Cerulean Happy browsing. Hope you’ll continue to enjoy your stay.

Last edited:

lucida818

Brilliant_Rock
Welcome to Singapore @Cerulean.
Glad you enjoyed your day one.

Fancy a cup of local coffee?
Check out Ya Kun Kaya Toast, there are many outlets in town. Try its popular toast with butter & kaya spread.

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock
Hmm…

Ok if I was truly looking clearly I would ask my regular jeweller to source but I don’t think he has any donuts right now. But but he has a few CS in and maybe you can pop by Lucky Plaza if you are interested in mahenge spinels, tsav or a big ass yellow sapphire sold (and not to me). He doesn’t have much stock tbh.

I would also go to these in Chinatown (all really near each other, like 5 min walk)
Plus go to the building called Lucky Chinatown ( it has a MacDonalds on first floor I think) and have a look at the jadeite shops there on 1st/2nd floor

And if I’m in Orchard area go to Far East Plaza and pop by
And then maybe also amble around and gawk at the displays at Huen’s and just randomly walk around to see if there is any jade fated for me. I think there is a concentration of stores on 3rd floor facing the outside facade as Nanyang lab is located on 3rd floor.

Youth Jewellery at Marriott Hotel is super expensive by the way, in case you pass by and is attracted to the gorgeous display. I was quoted such an outrageous price once I never went back again. I mean I still like to gawk at the display when I pass by but I won’t step into the store again.

Amazing suggestions thank you. Yokde based on their online inventory has many prices I like…I also love the leaf and cloud motifs! I will definitely try to go Saturday. Thanks

Cerulean

Ideal_Rock

Wow amazing thank you! I’ll check out a few shops most likely Saturday…I wish I had more time!!! I will have to come back to do a proper hunt…

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
@Cerulean I think we forgot to mention Pandan chiffon cake. You can maybe buy one slice from Bengawan Solo to try.

Answer in Singlish - can! All my friends (and their moms and sisters) do that =)2:mrgreen2:

Thank you!

AlexWT

Rough_Rock

At least you can fly close from Australia, I also wanted to visit Singapore, but I’m flying far from Los Angeles, and I don’t really like flying))) I want to spend my vacation there for the second year already)

llamacat

Rough_Rock
@Cerulean I think we forgot to mention Pandan chiffon cake. You can maybe buy one slice from Bengawan Solo to try.
Love the different cakes at Bengawan Solo, especially the layer cakes, we'd always get some at Changi to take home. Also the food at the lower ground level at Takashimaya is yummy too.

Crimson

Brilliant_Rock
We need to see your jadeite collection…

I posted some on the rainbow thread =)2 will post more soon.

Re: Pandan cake, I agree you should try it, @Cerulean. if you are going to Yokdee, you can stop by Pure Pandan (see my 29 July post) for their Pandan chiffon. They are across the road from On Cheong and Tong Heng - just try one slice, as @icy_jade suggested.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results