shape
carat
color
clarity

Theory: what happens now that 2 carat LGDs cost less than the average (U.S.) e-ring?

What will be the effect(s) of diamond price decreases for 2 carat LGDs?

• Diamond size will no longer be a status symbol.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • Nonetheless, many people will still pay to have larger diamonds because they are pretty.

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • People will choose larger LGD over smaller natural diamonds more often than expected.

Votes: 44 65.7%
  • But since large LGD are cheap something will take the place of diamond size as a status symbol.

Votes: 5 7.5%
  • A popular status symbol won’t be anything that is not obvious to non-jewelry geeks at a glance.

• Not diamond origin bc LGD + earth diamonds are indistinguishable to the naked eye.

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • Not color or clarity differences that cannot be noticed unless someone stares close up.

• Probably not fancy colors because fakes are getting harder for non-experts to spot.

• Probably not superideals bc the angles are known + cheap LGD rough lets cutters practice lots.

• Possibly brand name settings in heavy metals, although designs may be copied.

• That leaves truly remarkable proprietary cuts and rings with multiple stones.

Votes: 9 13.4%
  • Start investing in dodecahedron moi et toi.

Votes: 4 6.0%
  • Or maybe people will <gasp> start spending less on engagement rings.

Votes: 25 37.3%

• Total voters

waxing lyrical

Shiny_Rock
I’m largely of the view that LG diamonds will still represent a specific niche of jewelry enthusiasts. I‘m part of the Xennial generation, and most of my peers, of varying SES, are simply not that into jewelry to really take notice and form a preference. Actually, I’ve seen a lot of hubbub surrounding the “truth about diamonds,” and this is passed around many internet spaces and circles and the “manosphere” as a reason to forgo these outdated and problematic traditions. I’ve seen many opt for non-diamond rings or just opt for a plain band. Even among upper-class circles, there still isn’t much chatter about the mined diamond market being supplanted by LG diamonds.

I was an early Moissanite enthusiast circa ‘03 when I married my first husband. I had only recently heard about it on TV, and then I searched for a vendor in my area, and there were only two in San Diego at the time. It was relatively unknown then. I was active on betterthandiamond’s forum and a couple other spaces for Moissy enthusiast, and I purchased diamond simulants for a period of time until they simply didn’t cut it for me. Even when I “graduated” to buying EM diamonds, I was still one of so few in my circles that even paid much attention to diamonds the way we do on PS and similar sites. I’ve owned several EM diamonds, and I absolutely adore antique diamonds, and LG diamonds cannot replace that for me. But I have taken the plunge and decided to have two LG diamond rings made that I’m SUPER excited about. I’m counting down the next few weeks when I’ll hopefully receive them. However, my goal is still a lovely 2.75-3 ct M/N or O/P VS-Si2 (eye clean) OEC or antique pear. This is my dream ring, and while I know I can have a LG diamond made to mimic these specs, I have a thing for true vintage stones.

Still, I will have fun enjoying their pretty, sparkly LG sisters, and I certainly appreciate the low cost that allows for more options and variety in one’s diamond collection.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I’m largely of the view that LG diamonds will still represent a specific niche of jewelry enthusiasts. I‘m part of the Xennial generation, and most of my peers, of varying SES, are simply not that into jewelry to really take notice and form a preference. Actually, I’ve seen a lot of hubbub surrounding the “truth about diamonds,” and this is passed around many internet spaces and circles and the “manosphere” as a reason to forgo these outdated and problematic traditions. I’ve seen many opt for non-diamond rings or just opt for a plain band. Even among upper-class circles, there still isn’t much chatter about the mined diamond market being supplanted by LG diamonds.

I was an early Moissanite enthusiast circa ‘03 when I married my first husband. I had only recently heard about it on TV, and then I searched for a vendor in my area, and there were only two in San Diego at the time. It was relatively unknown then. I was active on betterthandiamond’s forum and a couple other spaces for Moissy enthusiast, and I purchased diamond simulants for a period of time until they simply didn’t cut it for me. Even when I “graduated” to buying EM diamonds, I was still one of so few in my circles that even paid much attention to diamonds the way we do on PS and similar sites. I’ve owned several EM diamonds, and I absolutely adore antique diamonds, and LG diamonds cannot replace that for me. But I have taken the plunge and decided to have two LG diamond rings made that I’m SUPER excited about. I’m counting down the next few weeks when I’ll hopefully receive them. However, my goal is still a lovely 2.75-3 ct M/N or O/P VS-Si2 (eye clean) OEC or antique pear. This is my dream ring, and while I know I can have a LG diamond made to mimic these specs, I have a thing for true vintage stones.

Still, I will have fun enjoying their pretty, sparkly LG sisters, and I certainly appreciate the low cost that allows for more options and variety in one’s diamond collection.

You would be pleased to know that Mr. Moissan was one of the first to attempt to grow diamonds about 130 years ago. They named silicon Carbide after him when he found some in meteorites :)

undefvar

Rough_Rock
I expect the desire for mined diamonds will decrease over time.

The simple reality is that the perceived value of a mined diamond is only appreciated by those that know it came out of the earth. If you aren't looking at it under a loupe and seeing a logo or other engraving denoting it as lab grown, it's just a diamond, and it will be judged by cut, color, clarity, and carat.

Lab grown are not only less expensive, but it completely eliminates the "blood diamond" stigmata. In an era of social justice, environmental protection, ethical sourcing, and carbon neutral initiatives, mined diamonds are a throwback to practices that are no longer socially acceptable.

Lab grown diamonds are the Tesla's of stones. They are equal to or better than what they replace, and they are getting bigger and better every year.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I expect the desire for mined diamonds will decrease over time.

The simple reality is that the perceived value of a mined diamond is only appreciated by those that know it came out of the earth. If you aren't looking at it under a loupe and seeing a logo or other engraving denoting it as lab grown, it's just a diamond, and it will be judged by cut, color, clarity, and carat.

Lab grown are not only less expensive, but it completely eliminates the "blood diamond" stigmata. In an era of social justice, environmental protection, ethical sourcing, and carbon neutral initiatives, mined diamonds are a throwback to practices that are no longer socially acceptable.

Lab grown diamonds are the Tesla's of stones. They are equal to or better than what they replace, and they are getting bigger and better every year.

I am more concerned about loss of livelihood these days. Blood diamonds are less than 2 percent of diamonds where as possibly 15 percent are artisanal mined by poor people in Africa and Brazil

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
Most of my friends who are waiting for their boyfriends to pop the question are open to lab diamonds. Their SOs can easily afford a 2ct+, high color and clarity diamond, but they rather spend less and get the lab diamond.

I was all about getting a mined ER, but sometimes I wonder if it was worth it when comparing to LG prices.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My millennial daughter doesn’t want a diamond of any kind. She wants a unique out there ring if any at all.

TinsieCat

Rough_Rock
I consider myself a Xennial too (fiancé and I mid 30s). After poopooing LGD for awhile and looking at EM, I gradually came to the conclusion that LGD is much better value for the same “appearance” of an EM. I personally don’t have the appreciation for the fact that EM are made over a billion years in the earth (which is super cool, but not what I care about). We ended up getting a 3 carat LGD Emerald Cut that would have been $40-50K natural AND amazingly well cut (I had very strict standards for windowing), high color and high clarity grades. My fiancé makes 100x (yes 100x) more than me (I have a 6fig job). But he would never be ok dropping $50K on something that can look
the same for 2/5th the price. We work hard for our money and want to retire when we are 40.

I think it’s great the younger generation is being more money savvy. The amount of debt in the US is astronomical.

My mind was changed overtime. I don’t see why it wouldn’t for others! This is coming from someone who’s very into keeping up with “appearances” and having/doing nice things. The value is just not there for us!

Last edited:

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
I consider myself a Xennial too (fiancé and I mid 30s). After poopooing LGD for awhile and looking at EM, I gradually came to the conclusion that LGD is much better value for the same “appearance” of an EM. I personally don’t have the appreciation for the fact that EM are made over a billion years in the earth (which is super cool, but not what I care about). We ended up getting a 3 carat LGD Emerald Cut that would have been $40-50K natural AND amazingly well cut (I had very strict standards for windowing), high color and high clarity grades. My fiancé makes 100x (yes 100x) more than me (I have a 6fig job). But he would never be ok dropping $50K on something that can look
the same for 2/5th the price. We work hard for our money and want to retire when we are 40.

I think it’s great the younger generation is being more money savvy. The amount of debt in the US is astronomical.

My mind was changed overtime. I don’t see why it wouldn’t for others! This is coming from someone who’s very into keeping up with “appearances” and having/doing nice things. The value is just not there for us!

Thanks, this was interesting. Just curious, do your friends of the same age think the same way about LGD — at first don’t want them, but eventually like them? That’s how I was until I saw one in person.

Seems like the effect would snowball.

TinsieCat

Rough_Rock
Thanks, this was interesting. Just curious, do your friends of the same age think the same way about LGD — at first don’t want them, but eventually like them? That’s how I was until I saw one in person.

Seems like the effect would snowball.

Friends of the exact same age, honestly I don’t think so. I do think it’s because most of my friends are 2nd generation Asian, lean on the more conservative side, are of the showy/flashy type, have the means to buy VERy nice things. I told one of them it’s lab and she kept calling it a “fake diamond”. My mom also insists it’s fake. I know they’re not trying to be snarky about it. It’s just that they want the “best” for me and LGD ain’t it.

I’ve talked to millennials and Gen Zers I hang out with at work, and most of them say they’re either going to get LGD or no diamomd at all. I’m interested in seeing what happens to the industry once they’re of marrying age.

i also live in SF Bay Area, where ppl are on the liberal/forward thinking, so I
wonder if it’s different in more conservative parts of the country.

interesting topic!

Last edited:

Alybetter

Brilliant_Rock
My theory is that size and quality will no longer be the major delineator, socio-economically speaking. It will be mined vs. made. Like an Audi vs. a Kia - they are both the same thing, they serve the same purpose, but those who can afford the ‘very best’ usually get the ‘very best’. The value is an intangible.

Where previously I could not justify a well cut 2 carat diamond, now I can. Just a lab one instead. Which is fine with me. Love em.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
My theory is that size and quality will no longer be the major delineator, socio-economically speaking. It will be mined vs. made. Like an Audi vs. a Kia - they are both the same thing, they serve the same purpose, but those who can afford the ‘very best’ usually get the ‘very best’. The value is an intangible.

Where previously I could not justify a well cut 2 carat diamond, now I can. Just a lab one instead. Which is fine with me. Love em.

Totally agree…yet I wonder how the people with Audi-EGD will let everyone know they have an Audi-EGD as opposed to a Kia-LGD.

Alybetter

Brilliant_Rock
Totally agree…yet I wonder how the people with Audi-EGD will let everyone know they have an Audi-EGD as opposed to a Kia-LGD.

Good question. It’s interesting to think about.

_dracarys_

Shiny_Rock
I’m probably way off but could slight inclusions that are barely noticeable be more attractive one day than something “flawless”?

LGDs have the same flaws as their earth mined counterparts. My stone is SI1 with a carbon spot near the edge.

Reactions: 2B2

TinsieCat

Rough_Rock

Same with my 3 carat! Someone told me the point was the save money with lab, not spend the same amount for a bigger diamond . Oh well.

_dracarys_

Shiny_Rock
BTW would love to know if anyone else gets annoying YT ads when they open this

Oh, ok. LGDs have mostly the same inclusions as their earthly counterparts. But a quick look through posts on Rocky Talky tells me that no one is actively seeking out diamonds with visible garnet inclusions so that people know their stone is earth mined. I could be wrong though.

TLDR: the assumption that LGDs are flawless is not correct.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh, ok. LGDs have mostly the same inclusions as their earthly counterparts. But a quick look through posts on Rocky Talky tells me that no one is actively seeking out diamonds with visible garnet inclusions so that people know their stone is earth mined. I could be wrong though.

TLDR: the assumption that LGDs are flawless is not correct.
HPHT inclusion
1638396678378.png

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results