shape
carat
color
clarity

The story of my ring's grading issue

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ummm, you have permission to shoot me, but I would recommend giving up on the custom design. I’m not sure it’s the right way for you to go.

If you pursue the custom, I do hope it works out for you.

Actually I agree, I think finding the off-the-shelf ring that looks closest to what you have in mind would yield the best result.

This coming from someone who has gone through the process of a custom setting and it didn't come out quite as I imagined. It rarely does. In my case I just chose to embrace the differences b/c I was ready to be done with the whole thing.

The Symphonie is another company's design and WF can't replicate it for you exactly. For example, lowering the prong settings as suggested above will squash the side profile, which is a key part of the Symphonie design...so it will look even further than your original inspiration if you lower it. What it seems like they tried to do was take the aspects you liked and incorporate them into an existing design. It actually looks nicer to me seeing it on your hand, not oval as in the original photos. But it won't be exactly the same unfortunately. They have so many beautiful settings available though, I have to think there is one that will make you happy.

Julyisjuly

Shiny_Rock
Ummm, you have permission to shoot me, but I would recommend giving up on the custom design. I’m not sure it’s the right way for you to go.

I kinda feel to give up as well

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I hate to appear like I’m piling on, but I tend to agree here. Custom projects require a lot of patience and a vision of what you really want to see in the end product. If you cannot articulate that well with pictures and descriptive terms, it’s best to work with a designer who can work through the process with you to help you articulate it for the bench.

Going with an off-the-shelf solitaire setting for now will give you time to live with your diamond and enjoy it while perhaps thinking about how you may later want to set it for the long-haul in a custom setting. And you can take your time with it, post ideas on here, etc. Or you may find you fall in love with the simplicity of a simple solitaire and decide to keep it that way forever.

Either way, wishing you bet of luck! :wavey:

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
For example, lowering the prong settings as suggested above will squash the side profile, which is a key part of the Symphonie design.
Not sure I agree with you there.
Symphony is exactly modified as such. Lowered V, more vertical prong, so the crossing isn't visible from the top.
But I do agree the custom project is tough as mentioned earlier. Clear communication and execution is a must.
final-profile-png.597312

https://www.pricescope.com/communit...nie-ring-with-2-793-f-vs1-cbi-diamond.234765/

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Actually I agree, I think finding the off-the-shelf ring that looks closest to what you have in mind would yield the best result.

This coming from someone who has gone through the process of a custom setting and it didn't come out quite as I imagined. It rarely does. In my case I just chose to embrace the differences b/c I was ready to be done with the whole thing.

The Symphonie is another company's design and WF can't replicate it for you exactly. For example, lowering the prong settings as suggested above will squash the side profile, which is a key part of the Symphonie design...so it will look even further than your original inspiration if you lower it. What it seems like they tried to do was take the aspects you liked and incorporate them into an existing design. It actually looks nicer to me seeing it on your hand, not oval as in the original photos. But it won't be exactly the same unfortunately. They have so many beautiful settings available though, I have to think there is one that will make you happy.

Altho I agree re going with an off-the-shelf ring, as per @bludiva's suggestion, I wanted to add a differing experience to what I've highlighted above. I did around 20 projects with DKJ last year and every one is exactly what I wanted. It's true that I have an excellent, long-term relationship with them, so they have a pretty good idea of what I like before even starting a new project, but - even so - I did 20 projects - and they were all exactly as I requested and expected.

I think a LOT of people on PS have very positive custom experiences, but I think 3 things are necessary: 1) know what you want going in 2) make sure the person you're working with understands your vision for your project 3) make sure the vendor you're working with has the skill to execute your vision.

SandyinAnaheim

Brilliant_Rock
...Unfortunately, it seems you pretty much got what you wanted but didn't like it.

The Symphony setting is one that cflutist created with High Performance Diamonds. Other than a picture of it, Whiteflash knows nothing of it as far as I know....
I thought it was bad form to copy other designers' creative works and definitely frowned upon here on PS....

Julyisjuly

Shiny_Rock
I'm not sure what you mean by the side donut being ugly. Do you have a better example to provide what you envision for a better correction?

I mean the side donut has an extra piece of metal, there is extra piece of the shoulder goes above the gallery.

Julyisjuly

Shiny_Rock
In my communication to WF, I didn't reference Vatche royal crown as my starting point. The only time I mentioned Vatche was when I said I noted Vatche similar style has South/North prongs issue and please make sure to avoid the same issue.
I understand you all have better experience with these great vendors here, which is good. At least, it proves these recommended vendors are great for vast majority cases. I also appreciate WF offering good customer services after sale.

kmarla

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m sorry that you’re disappointed with your ring. I’m pretty sure I showed you this Vatche setting before. It’s not exactly a perfect copy of the Symphonie but it’s fairly close. I think it addresses some of the issues you have with your current setting. I know from personal experience that you can have the shank modified with Vatche to be slimmer if you prefer. Whiteflash could get this setting for you.
https://www.dvatche.com/product-p/163.htm

16175D07-235C-4EEE-8B41-5D0FA60C9CAE.png

tigertales

Shiny_Rock
Rip that sucker out and have a ball shopping locally where you can place the diamond in all the settings your heart desires in person, and pick one that is so close to your ideal you don't need any modifications. ( you can always change to something new next year or next month, lol )

This is driving you crazy! And it's time to enjoy your ring and get back to planning your wedding.

MaisOuiMadame

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think a LOT of people on PS have very positive custom experiences, but I think 3 things are necessary: 1) know what you want going in 2) make sure the person you're working with understands your vision for your project 3) make sure the vendor you're working with has the skill to execute your vision.

This x 1000000

I'd like to add one point: understand technical /structural limitations and accept them.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
Last edited:

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
I mean the side donut has an extra piece of metal, there is extra piece of the shoulder goes above the gallery.
OK, then ask to taper it better to sit flush with the horizontal donut with no overhang.

Also, I can clearly see that you're a perfectionist, but not all surface of the ring will be knife edge precision and this should not be expected.
Looking at the below photos of the Symphony's nooks and crannies along with the donut (click to magnify), would you have been happy as well?
img2630-jpg.598780

img_5620-jpg.597663

img2632-jpg.598779

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Altho I agree re going with an off-the-shelf ring, as per @bludiva's suggestion, I wanted to add a differing experience to what I've highlighted above. I did around 20 projects with DKJ last year and every one is exactly what I wanted. It's true that I have an excellent, long-term relationship with them, so they have a pretty good idea of what I like before even starting a new project, but - even so - I did 20 projects - and they were all exactly as I requested and expected.

Good point, some people are better at communicating their vision and/or find a jeweler who is able to flawlessly bring it to life. But also you and DKJ seem to have really good synergy. I think it's a challenge to find that, especially for newbies :)

Texas Leaguer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
In my communication to WF, I didn't reference Vatche royal crown as my starting point. The only time I mentioned Vatche was when I said I noted Vatche similar style has South/North prongs issue and please make sure to avoid the same issue.
I understand you all have better experience with these great vendors here, which is good. At least, it proves these recommended vendors are great for vast majority cases. I also appreciate WF offering good customer services after sale.
@Julyisjuly ,
While the advice that some are giving to consider going with a stock mounting that has design elements as close to the goal as possible does make sense, I get the impression that there are really only a couple of substantive changes you are wanting to make. And I think we can accomplish those in the process of making a new version of the ring. I definitely think it is worth the shot. We can also spend more time trying to perfect the finish on inner surfaces of the ring as that seems to be the other issue here.

When we receive the ring back we will analyze the new project point by point. With more precision in the communication process I believe we can succeed. It is important to us that we do everything reasonable to produce the ring that you envision and which you will be intensely proud of.

blueMA

Brilliant_Rock
@Julyisjuly ,
While the advice that some are giving to consider going with a stock mounting that has design elements as close to the goal as possible does make sense, I get the impression that there are really only a couple of substantive changes you are wanting to make. And I think we can accomplish those in the process of making a new version of the ring. I definitely think it is worth the shot. We can also spend more time trying to perfect the finish on inner surfaces of the ring as that seems to be the other issue here.

When we receive the ring back we will analyze the new project point by point. With more precision in the communication process I believe we can succeed. It is important to us that we do everything reasonable to produce the ring that you envision and which you will be intensely proud of.

Exactly. The ring isn't too far off already, as @Texas Leaguer can clearly see as well.
I think this ring can turn out to be a stunning piece for others to want to copy in the future.

Julyisjuly

Shiny_Rock
Also, I can clearly see that you're a perfectionist, but not all surface of the ring will be knife edge precision and this should not be expected.
Looking at the below photos of the Symphony's nooks and crannies along with the donut (click to magnify), would you have been happy as well?
I know I am being extremely critic this round and pointed out all these tiny issues. If my ring arrived with 90% of what I communicated, I will settle with it. Won't spend energy to figure out all other tiny issues. I will just happily look at my finger everyday.
However, given the deliverable has some distance from what communicated, the more I look at it, the more upset I feel.
Luckily WF is very nice and responsible to help me remake it. Given this chance, I examined it with "magnifying glass":geek2: and hope to point all my observations out to them this time, so we don't have any slip.

cocotate

Rough_Rock
It looks like a bit more patience and better communication might pay off! I want to see julyisjuly happy with her ring. Whiteflash seems like an amazing vendor.

Ss52

Shiny_Rock
2680154D-6873-4592-A1EF-915D6F90A119.jpeg BA731666-2497-415E-BA78-B45EE5977DA8.jpeg 54D557B8-9FDC-44B7-A8DF-9BCF79F99752.jpeg

Julyisjuly, if you are drawn to elegant simplicity, this 2.21 E is set in the
Vatche Caroline in platinum.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Attachments

• 4A6D7191-DE22-49FD-951D-D6ECE6003003.jpeg
    4A6D7191-DE22-49FD-951D-D6ECE6003003.jpeg
    124.4 KB · Views: 20
  • 825A3272-DF29-4A9D-B524-6E476B704AD8.jpeg
    825A3272-DF29-4A9D-B524-6E476B704AD8.jpeg
    144.1 KB · Views: 23

tigertales

Shiny_Rock
So, dear JulyisJuly, how did things work out for you? We all want to know, we were so happy for you when you found your special diamond, and so sad when the setting didn't please you.

Please let us know!

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Julyisjuly - did you receive your ring? We would love to know the end of this story!

Julyisjuly

Shiny_Rock
Folks, keep it clean.
Hi Ella, would you please help me delete this entire post?

At the end of the day, I am very happy with my diamond from Whiteflash and my ring. I only want these happy moments associated with my rock. Thanks!

I appreciate everyone here who helped me a lot along the way!!!
I will find time to open a new post to show the final product, a post only with JOY & Happiness.

Lykame

Brilliant_Rock
Dear @Julyisjuly,

Delighted you are happy with the finished product and I am looking forward to the post of your finished ring, joy and happiness galore! I am sure if you wish Ella will be able to help out.

I guess though... I kinda feel this thread shows a lot of amazing things about your journey - and also the way that Whiteflash chose to respond - that would be greatly useful to other people wishing to go through a similar process. Sometimes it isn't the way a company falls down that is the key thing but more the way they get back up. That's a really amazing thing to have seen in this thread, it's a reassuring feature of the company and incredibly useful to witness. Although I know this journey has been quite painful for you at times, it would be a shame to lose this thread. I know it's been painful but I personally view this as a positive thread - especially considering the outcome that appears to have happened.

Obviously it's your thread and your decision and if you don't want to keep it I can understand that too, I just didn't want you to think that there wasn't use to this thread! Certainly it captures a certain Pricescope Spirit!

I hope I have phrased myself well.

Looking forward to your purely joyful thread!
Lydia.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am very happy for you that you love your diamond and ring! We would love to share it with you - please start a thread in SMTB!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results