shape
carat
color
clarity

*+*+*+*~The Silver Thread~*+*+*+*

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
As the grandchild of two silver-collecting grandmothers... I've inherited oodles and oodles of silver cutlery, serving pieces, and accessories. Unfortunately, it's all in storage. From time to time I think about selling it off somehow because it's a big chunk of money to have tied up in big boxes, but it's all too sentimental for me.

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1354895633|3325435 said:
justginger|1354879557|3325274 said:
I actually cannot even remember all the esoteric pieces I have! I mean, I know I didn't buy fish knives or anything, but my mother advised me to buy at least two teaspoons for each place setting (which I did). Each place setting also has a cream soup spoon. And I believe I bought steak knives as well as dinner knives and butter spreaders. And I think I have demitasse spoons. And I really cannot even recall what all else!

If I start to use it everyday, I will take out only two forks, a spoon, and a knife!

Deb/AGBF

My silverplate flatware is my everyday flatware. I've been using the same set for longer than I care to admit. All those spoon options is one of the things I like about vintage flatware. I guess I've gotten spoiled - when I eat a thick soup or porridge, I want nothing less than a gumbo spoon, and for cream soups I want a cream soup spoon! I like to use a coffee/five o'clock spoon with ice cream because it make it last longer, :wink2: and I love it when I get to pull out a berry fork for strawberries! Oh and don't get me started about restaurants that can't be bothered with iced tea spoons, seafood forks, and proper butter spreaders! :lol:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1355010578|3326478 said:
Super present, FG, and what handsome rings! I love it when a man has a choice of rings. And a silver dish to put them in!

--- Laurie

This! :appl:

cheers--Sharon

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1355003963|3326423 said:
diamondseeker2006|1354978288|3326179 said:
I will get a couple of pics today, Deb. I looked in the silver chest last night and I have so many little pieces like the salt spoons and tomato servers and that kind of thing! The pattern (Melrose) has flowers on it and I am not so fond of it, but it goes extremely well with my mother's old Lenox pattern, and it still is fine with my fine china and another pattern I have. So I can use it.

But, I am seriously thinking of at least getting 6 luncheon settings of the Shell and Thread because my breakfast room is not in the kitchen and I think the more simple Shell and Thread would go better with my Spode Christmas china and my fruit Villeroy and Boch pattern. Yes, I have a lot of china :-o and I hope I have about 6 granddaughters!

It could have been dumb to sell the sterling tea set, but I think the days of teas are over. I figured my girls would just sell the tea set, so I figured I would sell it and enjoy the proceeds myself!!! :lol:

This may be for a different thread, but what jewelry are you selling? Are you listing it here? You surely aren't selling the red spinel???

I, also, have the Spode Christmas Tree china...and I almost bought the Villeroy and Boch fruit pattern after having been given the chance to start a set when when my husband's uncle passed away and we were given a chance to take his aunt and uncle's partial set of china. (In the end I passed on it. I have china everywhere, just everywhere. I keep trying to get rid of it but I have lovely sets!)

As to what I am selling jewelry wise-I suspect you are right and that that should be in a separate thread. This thread is already getting threadjacked by forays into our china and other non-silver topics!!!

Hugs,
Deb
:saint:

For some reason I am not surprised we have the same Christmas china (and multiple sets!)! I think it was inevitable to stray into china because we use it with the flatware! But getting back to the silver, I did take some pictures today, and will post them. Like you and Laurie, I also have the tiny salt spoons! I have never used those, though!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1355006478|3326443 said:
Chrono, your jewelry is just gorgeous, and so unusual. What is the background on it? As usual, great photography too.

DS, I think your reasoning on selling the tea set makes a lot of sense. I'm considering parting with some of my stuff for exactly the same reason. If somebody's going to do what they enjoy (or need) w/the proceeds, it ought to be me since I've polished & loved it all these years.

Some has no artistic value, but I would HATE to see other things melted down for the sheer silver value, so whenever I do it, will take care to choose a venue where it would be re-sold for its own beauty.

Beautiful silver pieces are often victims of high value in bad economic times. I've read about gorgeous historic pieces that were lost when buyers melted them. Heartbreaking.

DS, put up pics of your candelabras, I'd love to see them! I need to research the candlesticks in my photo on the other thread, the taller column-like ones. They came from an antique shop in Amsterdam when we lived there. I went nuts over them in the window but didn't even ask the price, knowing it would be too much -- we were just married at the time. Come Christmas, there they were under the tree. Sweet new DH. They're English & probably Victorian, that's all I know. Hallmarks should tell more.

I remember falling in love with the cobalt blue liners of her little silver salt cellars and other dishes. When I got married, she gave me some as a wedding gift! So somewhere I have two tiny sterling salt cellars with blue glass liners and tiny spoons as short or shorter than toothpicks, but with a little shovels at the end, too!
How neat, Deb! What a thoughtful gift. I adore those blue-glass liners too. Cobalt, yeah, that's what they are. Aren't the eensy spoons the most fun? (I adore miniatures -- would LOVE to make dollhouses but know I'd get obsessed & spend the mortgage, seriously.) You're welcome any time -- we can play with gems -- bring yours, they're better than mine -- and wee spoons! :cheeky:

--- Laurie

Laurie, what a sweet, sweet story about your antique candlesticks! I am sure they are far more interesting and beautiful than mine! I didn't think to take a picture of them today but will tomorrow if I remember. I did sell to someone who said they resold tea sets and did not melt them, so I hope it was true! I just told Deb that I have the teeny salt spoons as well!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, here is my Gorham Melrose flatware and I will apologize in advance for the disorganization in the drawer with the serving pieces! There are also a few antique family pieces in there, too. Butter spreaders are old Kirk Repousse, I think.

_2270.jpg

gorhammelrose1.jpg

gorhammelrose3.jpg

gorhammelrose4.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1355028205|3326620 said:
For some reason I am not surprised we have the same Christmas china (and multiple sets!)! I think it was inevitable to stray into china because we use it with the flatware! But getting back to the silver, I did take some pictures today, and will post them. Like you and Laurie, I also have the tiny salt spoons! I have never used those, though!

Yes. I think the year that we found out we were both sending YouTube greeting cards using "Here With Us" (remember the days when we were able to do that?) made me aware that we were incredibly alike in many ways ( as if having internationally adopted daughters wasn't bond enough!).

I look forward to your photos.

I am really, really loving this thread...and am grateful to Laurie for inspiring it with her wonderful Silver Shop thread. I have been especially happy to see that more posters have been joining in. I read each new post here with more and more happiness! I feel our little silver-loving community is growing.

Deb

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And my much loved Tiffany Shell and Thread luncheon fork:

tiffanyshellandthread1.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my!!!!! Beautiful!!! Wow!!! You were certainly busy while I was posting at the same time. I have to go back now and study those gorgeous photos!

Deb
:wavey:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, Deb, we do have a lot in common! I do so love that "Here with Us" Christmas song still!

And yes, I am glad Laurie started us on a new topic! When we get bored after the holidays, let's do a china thread!

It is almost 1 am here, so I will be off to bed in a minute and will see you tomorrow! :wavey:

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1354817660|3324521 said:
Phoenix|1354809209|3324137 said:
LOVE your silver. :love: :love: :love: All really gorgeous. Tell me, do you have any cutlery?

I'd love to get some silver cutlery for us. We have some beautiful chinaware and crystal but no silver cutlery. Do you happen to know where I may be able to get a set, without having to pay a fortune?

(I am actually a cheapskate, believe or not, I bought the chinaware and crystal at the store sale & expat sale - got them for very good prices and the quality is *amazing*).

I copied this posting by Phoenix from JewelFreak's thread, hoping to keep from threadjacking that one. I saw that her posting has already been answered in the other thread, however. Hey...I am but one person. I can't run the world.

Deb

Thank you, Deb, for starting this thread. I'll be reading it with intense interest.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Rosebloom|1354818188|3324529 said:
Great idea for a new thread!

Here was my response to Phoenix on the previous thread:

Pheonix wrote:
LOVE your silver. :love::love::love: All really gorgeous. Tell me, do you have any cutlery?

I'd love to get some silver cutlery for us. We have some beautiful chinaware and crystal but no silver cutlery. Do you happen to know where I may be able to get a set, without having to pay a fortune?

(I am actually a cheapskate, believe or not, I bought the chinaware and crystal at the store sale & expat sale - got them for very good prices and the quality is *amazing*).
Phoenix,

There are fabulous deals to be had on sterling cutlery at estate sales. Also small antique stores can be good. I've seen some amazing deals on eBay too! If you happen to like the idea of mixed patterns you can really get a steal but collecting a few place settings at a time in patterns that appeal to you. Also monogrammed pieces go for much less. Sometimes I've thought it would be fun to get a set all monogrammed in different letters - but I have waaaaay too much and am not allowed to start a new set!

Thank you, Rosebloom. I will keep my eyes peeled.

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I really enjoy seeing everyone's silverware, both in this thread and the other thead. Am particularly enamoured with DS's set. :love: :love: :love: Look fwd to seeing more ....

DS, yes pls start a thread on chinaware. I'd love to see everyone's and would love to show off mine too. :cheeky:

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Phoenix|1355035317|3326649 said:
Rosebloom|1354818188|3324529 said:
Great idea for a new thread!

Here was my response to Phoenix on the previous thread:

Pheonix wrote:
LOVE your silver. :love::love::love: All really gorgeous. Tell me, do you have any cutlery?

Phoenix,

There are fabulous deals to be had on sterling cutlery at estate sales. Also small antique stores can be good. I've seen some amazing deals on eBay too! If you happen to like the idea of mixed patterns you can really get a steal but collecting a few place settings at a time in patterns that appeal to you. Also monogrammed pieces go for much less. Sometimes I've thought it would be fun to get a set all monogrammed in different letters - but I have waaaaay too much and am not allowed to start a new set!

Thank you, Rosebloom. I will keep my eyes peeled.

I think I did answer you in the other thread Pheonix: check out Oakgem.com

cheers--Shaorn

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are the candelabra for Laurie. They are Gorham sterling and I think the pattern is Strasbourg (I mistakenly think I said they were Towle earlier). They are very neat in that each one has 4 parts so you can have a tall 3-candle arrangement, a short 3 candle, a short single candlestick, or a tall single candlestick. (Please excuse wrinkled tablecloth!)

Laurie, I also want to thank you for bringing up the topic of silver because I have some things that badly need polishing! My other silver service is too tarnished to even post (and these candelabra need polishing badly!!!).

gorhamcandelabra1.jpg

gorhamcandelabra2.jpg

gorhamcandelabra3.jpg

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Aren't those beauties, Deb! Love that you can rearrange them into different conformations, what bright thinking. I see you have a china cabinet -- handy; I've always wished for one (and room for it). Thanks for taking a snap of them -- bet they look gorgeous lit on a holiday table!

DS -- Isn't your flatware pretty! Looks like similar vintage to mine, which is Towle. I'll get some pics tomorrow. You have some useful extra stuff too -- jelly spoons (I remember Mom's always used for cranberry sauce at T'giving), and you have those darling pickle forks! Lots of sauce spoons too. What do I see peeking from under the silver cloth at the top of the 4th photo? A baby rattle? Too much! Or is it something else?

--- Laurie

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
P.S. China would be fun too. I'd love to see everybody else's. I have 2 good sets, Spode from my grandmother & the other, Noritake, my uncle bought for his wife when he was in Japan during the Occupation after WWII. I don't know which I like better. More from my uncle too, but will save that for a china thread.

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
JewelFreak said:
P.S. China would be fun too. I'd love to see everybody else's. I have 2 good sets, Spode from my grandmother & the other, Noritake, my uncle bought for his wife when he was in Japan during the Occupation after WWII. I don't know which I like better. More from my uncle too, but will save that for a china thread.

Yes yes yes to the china thread! And crystal too, yes?

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JewelFreak|1355087870|3327016 said:
Aren't those beauties, Deb! Love that you can rearrange them into different conformations, what bright thinking. I see you have a china cabinet -- handy; I've always wished for one (and room for it).

I assume it was just a typo to say "Deb" up above, Laurie. I am assuming you knew that DS was continuing her show of wonderful silver and had simply moved on from the flatware phase to the candelabra phase! And speaking of candelabra, like DS I loved the story of how your husband picked up those expensive candlesticks for you in Europe (was it Amsterdam? I'll have to go look) and gave them to you for Christmas! I have no candelabra like the two of you. Just some matching sterling candlesticks!

Deb/AGBF

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My daughter is giving me a very hard time, so I am rushing, but I realized I had a photo that showed part of one of my china cupboards, too!

Deb/AGBF

agbf_dining_room.jpg

AmeliaG

Brilliant_Rock
Love your house, Deb.

I don't have it yet but this is the siterling I inherited from my Mom and she from her Mom.

It's Reed & Barton Tara.

I apparently have some sterling hollowware from the same pattern.

_2281.jpg

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh my goodness, the tea set is fabulous! I have no idea how DS could possibly part with hers. And the flatware and more! So many designs. These should be seen and used, not just stored away.

Come on....we need to see more silver pieces. :appl:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laurie...yes, that is a silver rattle! Judging from the blue ribbon, it must have been given to our son! I'd love to see your Towle pattern!

Deb...you have a similar china cabinet! (I hope everything is okay with your daughter.)

Amelia...that is a very pretty pattern! I think it is wonderful it has been handed down to two generations! My mother's silver flatware went to my middle sister since the other two of us had our own patterns. My oldest daughter was given pieces in my same pattern as a child by my aunt, so she has several place settings. So with my set combined, both of my girls will end up with about 10 place settings each!

Chrono...it was a little sad selling the tea set! But the silverplate set I have is more simple and I actually like it better. I think that gave me the courage to sell the sterling set. I hope more people will post pictures, too, now that I have posted somewhat tarnished pieces! :lol: This is inspiring me to polish a few things and maybe use them! I think I will get some candles and use one of the candelabra for Christmas dinner!

Do y'all think we can save the china (and crystal) thread until after the holidays? That would be fun to do after all the busyness of Dec. is over!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1355114255|3327315 said:
Deb...you have a similar china cabinet!

And this surprises you? When I first saw your dining room chairs I thought they looked similar to mine!

Deb

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF|1355115063|3327322 said:
diamondseeker2006|1355114255|3327315 said:
Deb...you have a similar china cabinet!

And this surprises you? When I first saw your dining room chairs I thought they looked similar to mine!

Deb

:)) :appl: :wavey:

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Yes, Deb, I did mean DS! Sorry, DS, for the brain freeze. Gosh, I like your whole dining room & what, living room...sunroom? beyond. Neat wallpaper. My house is currently pretty shabby -- I'm keeping it a secret! :oops: After puppy & kittenhood (chewed & scratched-up upholstery), then several years of other aged dog & cat (urine leakage & throwing up), the EPA would condemn us if they came here. Slowly getting things shaped up -- but of course structural troubles show up & need to be addressed first: isn't that the way? Anyhow, whenever I think of having the floors refinished, for instance, then I wonder, "Yeah, but wouldn't I rather buy a gem with the money?" :lol:

Amelia, what a nice sterling set! I love that it's handed down so much. Says good things about continuity, family warmth. Mom always promised me her silver but I kind of dreaded the circumstances of getting it -- her death. When I finally did, it was very sad but at the same time brought into my house the glow of a lifetime of family gatherings & love. You'll feel the same, I'm sure.

Cool rattle, DS!! I gather your son didn't use it! Haven't looked back, but didn't I see also a little kid's spoon, with the curled-back handle? My brother had one, and a fork -- he used it for his own sons, complete with the tiny bite marks he put into the spoon.

I'll take some photos today. Have wanted to do the stones I've bought over the last 6 months but we have had too little sunshine for those. I don't have a candelabra, just candlesticks, like you, Deb. Those are the ones DH bought me, sweet boy -- I never did ask how much they cost; the intent was so nice, it doesn't seem relevant.

--- Laurie

Phoenix

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sharon, thank you. I just replied to you in the other thread. Appreciate your help.

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
You folks inspired me to polish a little more. Flatware only, too lazy to do holloware yet.

I have 12 place settings of this. The pattern doesn't have cream soup spoons (dessert spoons) so I kept those from my uncle's Towle & gave the rest to my sister.

It's Towle King Richard. The dark outlining the pattern is not tarnish. In the days when this was made, they did that at the factory -- Mom called it French Lacquer; I think there's another name used now. It isn't done anymore -- probably too expensive & the artisans are gone. It has so much more depth than the un-shadowed newer versions.

My grandmother's salad stuff. Very Art Deco -- she was a flapper in her day, a real live genuine flapper.

chest.jpg

places.jpg

pattern.jpg

salad.jpg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results