shape
carat
color
clarity

*+*+*+*~The Silver Thread~*+*+*+*

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And a sterling brooch bought in Norway in the 1960s by a family member. The little round discs move and make a noise. Apparently it's a design unique to Norway but I don't know what it's called.

photo_966.jpg

photo_967.jpg

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF, I just made an addition to your gold thread.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
36-inch silver filigree necklace with gold vermeil by Charles Garnier. It's mainly silver so I have posted it here. i.e. the hallmark is 925, and does not have a K mark.

I discovered Carles Garnier through my local jeweler. It's very affordable. There's no way I could get this necklace in solid gold, and apparently there's a process by which they put the vermeil on these days ( electro-something) which means the gold won't rub off.

photo_978.jpg

photo_979.jpg

photo_980.jpg

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Same design necklace in 925 sterling without the vermeil, 10 inches shorter at 26 inches.

photo_981.jpg

photo_982.jpg

photo_983.jpg

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sterling silver pyramid bracelet. Bought this summer in a seaside town.

photo_984.jpg

photo_985.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love your jewelry, both the silver and the gold, Jambalaya! (And I found the gold before I saw you mention it here, by the way! That thread always grabs my attention when someone new posts to it!)

I also love the precision with which you decided where to post each piece of jewelry!!! (The vermeil got posted in the silver thread although it looked like yellow gold because it was more silver by weight!!!) I am delighted that you are posting and to my favorite threads, too! Welcome. (Although you may not, really, be new here!)

It seems that you-or at least your family-gets around. I saw pieces from Bahrain or Dubai and also Norway. I certainly do not have relatives who travel to such places and bring me jewelry. You appear to be from a worldly family!

I look forward to learning more about you and seeing more of what you like in the way of jewelry, even if it is not always your own!

Deb/AGBF :wavey:

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks AGBF. The travel you mention is from years ago, in the early 1960s, sadly. This relative started to travel in 1958 via the military.The paua shell bird brooch from New Zealand in Show Me The Bling is sitting on its original card and it look a little beat-up, but my relative kept it which is sweet. And the great-aunt who bougt the silver leaf brooch, she never married and never had any money, just worked in a store all her life and obviously only had one income, but man, she had the taste! The silver leaf was probaly the most expensive thing she ever bought and it undulates. The shaping is amazing. I'm no designer but even I can appreciate it. Good old Auntie Ethel. I don't really remember her.

I remembered I have a gold elephant bracelet also from Dubai that I'm just about to post.

Edited to add: That really is it from me, now! It's so rare that I have no elderly relatives to look after, and rare to have some flowers. I think I've put the flowers and the free day to good use, photographing all my stuff.

Now all I have left to photograph is my new pearl things from Pearl Paradise, if they ever get here, and the sapphire necklace if I do indeed get enabled enough to buy it.

Will stop rambling now.

Jambalaya

Ideal_Rock
Premium
AGBF, you have jogged my memory. When you said about relatives' jewelry. I remembered that we keep in the house a bracelet with some amazing old diamonds. It belongs to my niece but she has no interest in it and will sell it one day. I keep it for her as her place isn't very secure. Never occurred to me to get it out and photograph it. Perhaps I should. Not today though!

Calliecake

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Laurie and Diamondseeker, I so loved seeing your beautiful silver pieces. I also looked at Lauries's thread that is located on the first page. Laurie I love your antique ring box! This thread reminded me of going to antique shops (which I love to do). Thank you!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's almost Christmas. I have my 2015 sterling bell. Who else has a Reed & Barton Christmas bell already or will be getting one for her collection this year? Does anyone else get any specific sterling ornament from a series every year? What else do you have to say for yourselves? ;))

I needed a photo of my dining room, so I needed this thread. In the spirit of reviving threads that belong in Jewelry Pieces, I revived this. It really belongs in Jewelry Pieces. I will ask Ella to move it there. (Unless I forget!)

Deb/AGBF

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you for moving the thread, Ella. Has anyone bought a sterling ornament for his Christmas tree yet this year?

Deb/AGBF

jordyonbass

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Going to have to show this thread to Mrs. Jordy; while we have been learning to cut cabochons at our local lapidary club, she has been watching videos on youtube on how to make settings out of Sterling silver wire. Some inspiration never goes astray!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am reviving this thread in the hopes that Bluegemz will post a photo of her vintage silver chain here!

Deb :wavey:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just found it! I'll post the silver first thing tomorrow. Thanks, Deb!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is my antique silver chain which came from Germany around 1910, passed down from my grandmother. It's got a serpentine heart on it now...

IMG_4582.JPG

I've also got some Moroccan silver pieces which I'll add after I polish them.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I picked up this super finely made, silver filigree bracelet yesterday. It goes really well with these earrings. I have never seen any thing like this before. It has a small heart charm and the filigree is light like a leaf skeleton. It is literally like silver lace!
Please excuse the blue blanket. I need to protect my furniture from my pets.

IMG_4838.JPG
IMG_4839.JPG
IMG_4840.JPG

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I picked up this super finely made, silver filigree bracelet yesterday. It goes really well with these earrings. I have never seen any thing like this before. It has a small heart charm and the filigree is light like a leaf skeleton. It is literally like silver lace!
Please excuse the blue blanket. I need to protect my furniture from my pets.

IMG_4838.JPG
IMG_4839.JPG
IMG_4840.JPG

Very unusual!
Is it Middle Eastern? I know alot of silver filigree comes from Bolivia, but this has a different look to it, and perhaps contains Persian turquoise?
Gorgeous:love:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very unusual!
Is it Middle Eastern? I know alot of silver filigree comes from Bolivia, but this has a different look to it, and perhaps contains Persian turquoise?
Gorgeous:love:
Yes it's Middle Eastern! Apparently from Afganistan. I found it at an antique and vintage jewelry shop. I can't tell if the stones are glass or turquoise, but what's so unusual is how light it is, and also how large and volumous. Thank you for the compliment, Stracci!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@AGBF asked me to post my sterling Hawaiian heirloom jewelry here in the Silver thread. The ring has black enameling. They say Ku'uipo which means "sweetheart" in Hawaiian.
IMG_20190720_181019394.jpg IMG_20190720_181427.jpg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And while I'm posting sterling, here is bracelet that I bought from @seaurchin. I wear it almost every day. I love it!
IMG_20190720_202640099.jpg
And this is a bracelet made by my good friend Rodney Coriz, an accomplished Native jeweler from the Santo Domingo Pueblo here in New Mexico. It has Morenci turquoise, mother of pearl, and three colors of spiny oyster. It's very heavy at 92 grams.
IMG_20190720_203243800.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow! What a bonanza, stracci! When I asked you to post that beautiful Hawaiian bracelet I saw in the lonely little thread about how many bangles were too many, I had no idea you were hoarding photos of all kinds of other magnificent silver bracelets! I should have, because you have posted in this thread before. :))

You are a true silver aficionado. Thank you. I hanker after your silver Hawaiian piece, which is funny given what a gold bug I usually am!

Deb/AGBF :wavey:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
@AGBF asked me to post my sterling Hawaiian heirloom jewelry here in the Silver thread. The ring has black enameling. They say Ku'uipo which means "sweetheart" in Hawaiian.
IMG_20190720_181019394.jpg IMG_20190720_181427.jpg
that's beaitiful
and you resurrected this lovelly thread
reminds me i shouid be polishing my mother's tea pot !

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
that's beaitiful
and you resurrected this lovelly thread
reminds me i shouid be polishing my mother's tea pot !
Am I right in thinking that polishing with a cloth is bad for silver, because eventually the engraving gets lost?

I'm sure there is some stuff you can paint on and then peel off, but I can't remember!

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not want to start going in a direction that leads away from jewelry, but I do not believe that polishing silver is bad for it. On the contrary, many years of polishing silver gives it its patina. I have seen articles that recommend using the sponge that comes inside some silver polish jars, but I have never heard that a cloth is bad. I use the little puffs that come in a jar. I can never recall their name, but I am sure they named upthread. Laurie (JewelFreak), (I believe) introduced me to them.

I don't believe dips are good for silver!

I have been warned about polishing vintage silver jewelry pieces 'too much" and, therefore, taking away their vintage look. Eventually they will tarnish again, of course, but for a while they will be bright, shiny, and new looking. It's your choice what you want to wear. I accidentally polished one of my mother's vintage Georg Jensen brooches into a shiny new pin!

If I can get from the stage of taking photos to the stage of posting them, maybe I will post some of my silver jewelry in this thread. I did post a link to a thread about some of my late mother's Georg Jensen jewelry, but not all of it is there.

Last edited:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The cleaner I was referring to above is Never-Dull.

NevrDull.jpg

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK, everyone, I use---------Tarn X.
Yes. It works. I do not polish my silver jewelry like a maniac, nor do I use Tarn X too frequently, just maybe once every several years. I keep most of my sterling jewelry in plastic bags, so it doesn't ever get bad anyway.
I have several Fabulustre polishing cloths, and a swipe or two is all it takes to shine up a piece now and then.
I am always careful of wear and tear on engravings. I once wore that Hawaiian heritage bracelet non-stop for a year and the sharp engraving did soften a bit, but not much.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
and these are my MIL's earings
20190727_172849.jpg i
i always make sure to wear them at big family events and it makes my SIL happy
i really like the size

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
5ED9B0C9-60C9-455C-A9B8-663B5BD944F7.jpeg An old thread but a good one.
Storytime again peoples!
Long before there was eBay or Craigslist or Gumtree there were auctions. And I’ve been going to them, usually with my Mum, since about 10.
Going back 20 odd years, engaged to DH, Mum and I went to an Antiques, Silver and Fine jewellery auction (our favourite type ha ha). Mum was wanting some bits of China and an occasional table and I was there for moral support and to help carry her spoils back to the car. I’m not looking to buy, all my money is going towards the 101 costs of my upcoming wedding.
Sitting there alongside Mum, two Men behind me are discussing the next lot, an antique boxed Canteen of Silver, and they are talking about it’s MELT VALUE!
I am appalled, this amazing cutlery canteen,150 odd pieces for over 5 kgs of Silver being melted down for scrap value. No way Jose!
So I outbid them.
Ringing DH to be “Hi Darling, um, I had to rescue an auction lot today. It’s ok, I’m going to forgo the Wedding cars and 2 levels on the cake, ok”
He’s like “what have you bought”.
Gosh, if I had $1 for everytime he’s said that to me, I’d be Rich now ha ha.
Anyhow, so every Christmas Day I set it all out (then spend 2 days cleaning it before putting it away again) and we are all fancy for the day.
It took me some searching to sort out the hallmarking, it’s actually pre war Romanian silver and that makes it quite rare and unusual.
The fitted box is 4 levels and lined in suede and there’s just 1 coffee spoon missing.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
5ED9B0C9-60C9-455C-A9B8-663B5BD944F7.jpeg An old thread but a good one.
Storytime again peoples!
Long before there was eBay or Craigslist or Gumtree there were auctions. And I’ve been going to them, usually with my Mum, since about 10.
Going back 20 odd years, engaged to DH, Mum and I went to an Antiques, Silver and Fine jewellery auction (our favourite type ha ha). Mum was wanting some bits of China and an occasional table and I was there for moral support and to help carry her spoils back to the car. I’m not looking to buy, all my money is going towards the 101 costs of my upcoming wedding.
Sitting there alongside Mum, two Men behind me are discussing the next lot, an antique boxed Canteen of Silver, and they are talking about it’s MELT VALUE!
I am appalled, this amazing cutlery canteen,150 odd pieces for over 5 kgs of Silver being melted down for scrap value. No way Jose!
So I outbid them.
Ringing DH to be “Hi Darling, um, I had to rescue an auction lot today. It’s ok, I’m going to forgo the Wedding cars and 2 levels on the cake, ok”
He’s like “what have you bought”.
Gosh, if I had $1 for everytime he’s said that to me, I’d be Rich now ha ha.
Anyhow, so every Christmas Day I set it all out (then spend 2 days cleaning it before putting it away again) and we are all fancy for the day.
It took me some searching to sort out the hallmarking, it’s actually pre war Romanian silver and that makes it quite rare and unusual.
The fitted box is 4 levels and lined in suede and there’s just 1 coffee spoon missing.
that's fantastic
im so glad you brought it

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results