carat
color
clarity

The Sad Truth

princesss

Ideal_Rock
MonkeyPie|1304455833|2911459 said:
iota15|1304448421|2911361 said:
Lately, I've been noticing a lot of large diamonds on really young girls - not all young girls, mind you, but only ones who seem to be trying really hard to impress people. I don't think large diamonds suit young girls at all. I find it pretty sad that they and their fiance's don't have the good sense to buy what they can afford, given all the other important financial milestones they have over the next few years. Instead, they are yanking out most of their savings or using credit to buy a luxury item. Don't get me wrong, I like young whippersnappers. I just think they all need a good knock on their heads if they think dumping their savings on a rock is a remotely good idea. A large stone on a young girl just makes her and her fiance look foolish.

THIS! :appl:

Wait, what? I thought Iota was giving an example of ageism just in the opposite direction of the OP, but didn't actually *mean* that...

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
princesss|1304457133|2911475 said:
Lately, I've been noticing a lot of large diamonds on really young girls - not all young girls, mind you, but only ones who seem to be trying really hard to impress people. I don't think large diamonds suit young girls at all. I find it pretty sad that they and their fiance's don't have the good sense to buy what they can afford, given all the other important financial milestones they have over the next few years. Instead, they are yanking out most of their savings or using credit to buy a luxury item. Don't get me wrong, I like young whippersnappers. I just think they all need a good knock on their heads if they think dumping their savings on a rock is a remotely good idea. A large stone on a young girl just makes her and her fiance look foolish.

Wait, what? I thought Iota was giving an example of ageism just in the opposite direction of the OP, but didn't actually *mean* that...

Correct. I don't actually mean that or even feel that. Just trying to show Kilops how his post might have made all us "elderly folk" feel. I think MonkeyPie understands that (or at least I hope she does).

I mean comparing our wrinkly hands to slow driving Ferraris, and not doing the stone's justice is truly well, outrageous. We could all (though I'm sure none of us would) complain about how the young'uns haven't "earned" their large diamonds and look like a five year old playing with mommy's lipstick. I would never actually think that because what the heck do I know or care about other people's finances, situations, priorities, or whether daddy paid for his dear daughter's ring, and of course, just because someone has a large diamond (whatever that means) doesn't mean they couldn't afford it or afford it responsibly.

We buy what we love and can afford in our circumstances. I think the extreme ageism of Killops post is rubbing everyone in the wrong way - as it should. It's pretty extreme, Killops.

princesss

Ideal_Rock
iota15|1304457791|2911485 said:

Correct. I don't actually mean that or even feel that. Just trying to show Kilops how his post might have made all us "elderly folk" feel. I think MonkeyPie understands that (or at least I hope she does).

I mean comparing our wrinkly hands to slow driving Ferraris, and not doing the stone's justice is truly well, outrageous. We could all (though I'm sure none of us would) complain about how the young'uns haven't "earned" their large diamonds and look like a five year old playing with mommy's lipstick. I would never actually think that because what the heck do I know or care about other people's finances, situations, priorities, or whether daddy paid for his dear daughter's ring.

We buy what we love and can afford in our circumstances. I think the extreme ageism of Killops post is rubbing everyone in the wrong way - as it should. It's pretty extreme, Killops.

Totally agree with you - I read the quote out of context (based solely on MP's extraction) and was about to post a huge long thing that effectively amounted to "WTF, this is a diamond forum!" And then I read your original post and it mades sense, so I just wanted to make sure that a) I had it the right way around and b) nobody else got confused like I did.

iota15

Brilliant_Rock
princesss|1304458011|2911490 said:
iota15|1304457791|2911485 said:

I mean comparing our wrinkly hands to slow driving Ferraris, and not doing the stone's justice is truly well, outrageous. We could all (though I'm sure none of us would) complain about how the young'uns haven't "earned" their large diamonds and look like a five year old playing with mommy's lipstick. I would never actually think that because what the heck do I know or care about other people's finances, situations, priorities, or whether daddy paid for his dear daughter's ring.

Totally agree with you - I read the quote out of context (based solely on MP's extraction) and was about to post a huge long thing that effectively amounted to "WTF, this is a diamond forum!" And then I read your original post and it mades sense, so I just wanted to make sure that a) I had it the right way around and b) nobody else got confused like I did.

Whew! Thanks for the asking for the clarification, Princess. The last thing I want is to look like some ageist big#t. (Yikes.)

MyDiamondSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Hold up, I need to go figure out how to do double quotes in one post.

Kilops

Rough_Rock
I am really surprised people are still posting to my thread. I feel honored. I have consulted with my gf today and she thinks whether to upgrade the ring in the future depends on whether how well off we will be both financially and based on other living situations. I agree with her and that the decision to upgrade should and will be decided in the future.

Other than that, I just want to tell you guys that my original post is really just to challenge the norm and I feel that in a society that rewards conformity, everyone is a critic when they are confronted with an opposing view. However, my favorite reply of this entire thread would probably be the guy who mentioned sky is blue, etc. This is the very reason I wanted to post this threat in the first place. Yes, the sky is blue and the grass is green, but if you take it for granted, then you lose sight of what is "natural and obvious". I know many of you probably hate me now but think about it: after my OP, your replies tell me that you have all now each looked at the skin on your hands and thought of why you deserve the diamond on your hand. Whether you answered with I earned my money, I achieved something, or whatever, my post has allowed you to realize that the real reason you are wearing your diamond today is your lifelong journey thus far. It doesnt really matter how many carats you have on your fingers when you are older, what really matters is the partner next to you and the journey that has taken you two to get here.

My gf told me she wants a big stone but thats just to show everyone else. She knows even if I could only afford a "pepsi can tab", she would be happy with it. This is why an upgrade isnt a big deal to me or to her right now. We want the journey to define our lives and not the stone. Why do I want to give my kids a big stone then you ask? Because I still want to provide them with the best I can. Does that mean I will spoil them? I will try not to, but I certainly wont let them down.

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
Kilops|1304462529|2911523 said:
I am really surprised people are still posting to my thread. I feel honored. I have consulted with my gf today and she thinks whether to upgrade the ring in the future depends on whether how well off we will be both financially and based on other living situations. I agree with her and that the decision to upgrade should and will be decided in the future.

Other than that, I just want to tell you guys that my original post is really just to challenge the norm and I feel that in a society that rewards conformity, everyone is a critic when they are confronted with an opposing view. However, my favorite reply of this entire thread would probably be the guy who mentioned sky is blue, etc. This is the very reason I wanted to post this threat in the first place. Yes, the sky is blue and the grass is green, but if you take it for granted, then you lose sight of what is "natural and obvious". I know many of you probably hate me now but think about it: after my OP, your replies tell me that you have all now each looked at the skin on your hands and thought of why you deserve the diamond on your hand. Whether you answered with I earned my money, I achieved something, or whatever, my post has allowed you to realize that the real reason you are wearing your diamond today is your lifelong journey thus far. It doesnt really matter how many carats you have on your fingers when you are older, what really matters is the partner next to you and the journey that has taken you two to get here.

My gf told me she wants a big stone but thats just to show everyone else. She knows even if I could only afford a "pepsi can tab", she would be happy with it. This is why an upgrade isnt a big deal to me or to her right now. We want the journey to define our lives and not the stone. Why do I want to give my kids a big stone then you ask? Because I still want to provide them with the best I can. Does that mean I will spoil them? I will try not to, but I certainly wont let them down.

Frankly, I don't think you did anything to challenge any norms. What you did was present an ageist and sexist viewpoint, with which most of us who are over the age of 40 are already, unfortunately, way too familiar. There was nothing particularly insightful in your original post, certainly. I can't speak for anyone else, but nothing you wrote inspired me to look at my jewelry, my hands, or anything else. I was, however, inspired to roll my eyes, so if you would like to take credit for that, have at it.

jjc

Brilliant_Rock
Oh, this is just too good.
my post has allowed you to realize that the real reason you are wearing your diamond today is your lifelong journey thus far. It doesnt really matter how many carats you have on your fingers when you are older, what really matters is the partner next to you and the journey that has taken you two to get here.

Why, how ever can we all thank you?!?! You, like, deserve a medal - no, a PARADE!!! :appl:

My gf told me she wants a big stone but thats just to show everyone else.
We want the journey to define our lives and not the stone.

BRILLZ!

Why do I want to give my kids a big stone then you ask? Because I still want to provide them with the best I can. Does that mean I will spoil them? I will try not to, but I certainly wont let them down.

Ohhhh, now I get it. Now why didn't I think of that?

Oh yeah - see the quote in my signature line below. :D

ETA - a missing word.

Lady_Disdain

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Oh, my, how artistic. Sorry, your continuous backpedaling doesn't endear you to me. How do you reconcile your "challenge the norm" style with your GF "just to show" attitude?

And if your kids will be let down because you don't provide them with a large diamond for an engagement ring, then you will have failed to provide them with the best and most important things.

Kilops

Rough_Rock
I wonder how many pages I can get from this thread. Its so popular! :appl:

princesss

Ideal_Rock
HAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

OMG. You sound just like my exboyfriend. You don't happen to be in med school, do you? Because I would swear, if your syntax were a little different, I'd honestly think you were him. He always thought that he was asking thought-provoking, norm-challenging questions when the reality was if he'd known what he was talking about at all, he would have seen that all he was doing was coming off like an arrogant moron.

Oh man. I hope your GF gets a ring she can show off and be sufficiently proud of.

Have you thought about trying to challenge the "bigger is better" norm by suggesting to your GF that she should only get a .25ct stone?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I gotta say. I'm not even in my forties and I was offended by this so much that I've avoided posting. Please see the qoute in my signature line from Lauren. I find it is sadly on point.

FILTER folks, FILTER!

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
WhileI normally ignore posts that rub me the wrong way, I'm not going to in this case. You sound like an obnoxious a$$.

I hope that your gf runs as fast and as far away from you as she can (and no, I'm not in the 40+ crowd (yet), but am smart enough to realize that people who are older than me and have more life experience than me may have some valuable information/insight that I can learn from). I appreciate and respect them even if I don't always agree with them. You are certainly entitled to your own opinions, but stating them they way you have will earn you no respect here.

Inkblot

Rough_Rock
This has frat boy written all over it.

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
luv2sparkle|1304382433|2910599 said:
Arrogant whippersnapper. May you wrinkle prematurely and severely.

Finally started in on this thread and it's pretty hilarious so far. And yes, men, those masters of the universe think THEY won't also get old and wrinkly and saggy...but they DOOOO!

Two of my favorite quotes just right for this occasion:

“Nobody can be so amusingly arrogant as a young man who has just discovered an old idea and thinks it is his own.”

"I'm not young enough to know everything." -J.M. Barrie

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
that's what all the girls say,but do you really believe it?... :bigsmile:

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

I guess if this tread got you to talking with you GF about the ring that she'll be wearing for the rest of her life - or not (should you guys decide to upgrade, that is), then it did accomplish something worthwhile.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Kilops, do you ever find yourself asking who's that trip-trapping over your bridge?

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Circe|1304479897|2911805 said:

Kilops, do you ever find yourself asking who's that trip-trapping over your bridge?

It's a good thing I'm laughing as hard as I am, because otherwise I might have a violent round of vomiting.

Arrogant much there Kilpos kiddo? And with little reason, truly. You have NO idea how silly and callow you sound, and one day you will look back on the you now and shake your head at the things you THOUGHT you knew.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This thead has me laughing so much I better go put on my Depends (using my wrinkly old hands) and
if I fall while putting them on (balance aint what it used to be) I'll just use my Life Alert to get some help! :lol:

Message to your GF...run!

Fly Girl

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I wanted a big diamond when I was young, but we couldn't afford it either. After 25 years we could afford it and I finally got my big diamond.

That's life. :twirl:

MonkeyPie

Ideal_Rock
Sorry for the confusion above, glad it was understood, lol. Whoops.

And by continuing to respond to this thread, we are making this arrogant asshat think he's smart and cool. Everybody FLEE.

MyDiamondSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
tyty333|1304522424|2912007 said:
This thead has me laughing so much I better go put on my Depends (using my wrinkly old hands) and
if I fall while putting them on (balance aint what it used to be) I'll just use my Life Alert to get some help! :lol:

Message to your GF...run!

:lol:

If my hands weren't so arthritic I would actualy be able to get my Depends down around my knees so I could moon Cyclops or whatever his name is, with my old wrinkly A$$!

For now, I'll just give him a wrinkly handed, one finger salute. :lol: Perhaps others will join me.

And just so you know Cyclops, I'm not that old and I don't have wrinkles. But I do have that big diamond your girlfriend covets and you were whining about. Do would think your girlfriend would settle for a bumble gum machine ring--you know, like in the plastic bubbles? I am sure you have enough quarters saved up you can probably even get her a few of them, one for each day of the week. Maybe if you save up the allowance your Mommy gives you or if you get an after school job at a fast food place you can afford to buy your girlfriend one of those big old rocks BEFORE her hands get all wrinkly too! ;-)

And you know what the sad truth really is? There are so many knowledgeable people on here that would have been willing to help you find that big dream of a diamond at a reasonable price. But it looks like you're own your own now, sweetie. Good luck shopping at the jewelry stores at the mall! Or at the bubble gum machine.

I mean seriously, it''s time to grow up! How would you like ot if all of us old folks commented on the size of your guirlfiend's e-ring being so puny small? Or if we said "Boy those young folks sure must feel badly sporting a ring of that size. Poor things!" The truth is, smart people buy what they can afford and some people actually like smaller diamonds and find they fit their lifestyle better. Diamond size has NOTHING to do with age. If anyone thinks so, they should get out in the real world a little more--or at least watch Housewives Of Orange County.....lol. I see diamonds of all sizes on all ages of people where I live. Maybe you should ride your bicyle aorund the block and get out more.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock

Well, looking back at your first post, I gotta question your financial position. Is this the issue? That you are concerned you won't reach the level of achievement you've determined others have? Insecurities? Perhaps the realization that you'll always have to pick a priority? There is nothing wrong with that. What is a bit disturbing is that you decided to make your observation based on the fact that some PSers have been lucky to have have the option of choosing diamonds as his/her priority and you may not have that choice.

There are numeous threads where people have spoken clearly that they've found other items (or vacations, etc.) as their way to spend extra funds and never has anyone felt the need to incorporate a bit of insults into that thread.

I think you're jealous. ;-)

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dancing Fire|1304474071|2911726 said:
that's what all the girls say,but do you really believe it?... :bigsmile:

Do pepsi can tabs cost money? Can't you find a FREE one in a garbage can? Yeah, as DF said, women may say that they'd be okay, but that's BS. Propose with a piece of garbage? lol Uhhhh, yeah.

How about proposing a flower or something, if you cannot afford a ring?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock

Hee hee, I started thinking this too pretty early on.

But this thread has been so funny. Its too bad the OP will never know we are laughing at him, not really with him. Don't think he'd be so proud :rodent:

I would like to know how old you are Kilops, in this fantasy you are playing out? I would guess about 21 or 22. In which case, I would say date your gf a while longer. Maybe get the gf a promise ring or something ::) Just make sure it is reaaaaly reaaaaly big.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1304528908|2912109 said:

Hee hee, I started thinking this too pretty early on.

But this thread has been so funny. Its too bad the OP will never know we are laughing at him, not really with him. Don't think he'd be so proud :rodent:

I would like to know how old you are Kilops, in this fantasy you are playing out? I would guess about 21 or 22. In which case, I would say date your gf a while longer. Maybe get the gf a promise ring or something ::) Just make sure it is reaaaaly reaaaaly big.

Yeah, us gals are VERY experienced in being entertained with these kinds of threads.

How about one of those lollipop rings? Those are huge and maybe one comes in clear?

rosetta

Ideal_Rock
Either he's a troll or an immature little boy with very little insight.

I'm bored of him now. See you all on an useful thread. Bye bye! :wavey:

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results