shape
carat
color
clarity

The Olympic Games Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
I know wasn''t it amazing!! The whole opening was beautiful. I think it was the most beautiful opening that the Olympics has ever had.

Linda

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
well everyone kept saying, oh those drums... but i just kept thinking, can''t be that fantastic, they''re drums! but OH, was i wrong. wow.
23.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
My son is a track athlete so track and field is my favorite, and the swimming.

A shame that so many US track stars were doping and medals were stripped.

The US swimmers, with their new seamless suits, are doing great in the pool, and I hope to see Michael Phelps get some medals, and Dara Torres, I went to high school with her brother.

I also love some of the gymnastics, diving and synchronized swimming, it is just fun to watch.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
The opening ceremony was amazing! Spectacular!

And the Olympic rings lit up was beautiful!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
I drew the USA in the Olympic sweepstake at work!

They''ve done a handicapping system, so we get 3 points for a gold, 2 for a silver and 1 for a bronze. I start 120 points behind most of the other countries along with China and Russia.

So, I''m going to be expecting a LOT of golds from you guys!

There''s $100 at stake here - and that is part of the way to a nice garnet!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/8/2008 8:27:54 PM
Author: WishfulThinking

On a similar note, I am also speaking out these next few weeks about the inequities involved in the Olympic games. I think it''s incredibly unfair that so many of the athletes from ''developed'' countries have access to better training materials, equipment and facilities, while athletes from poorer countries do not. It is an extreme disadvantage to them that they have successfully overcome many times [which doesn''t make it any more fair]. I absolutely celebrate those who have come so far to the Olympics training with so very little and who, so often, kick our rich butts.
1.gif
While I agree with you on this Wishful... it''s just not feasible for everyone to have the same quality training and facilities. Sure it''s not fair. Life''s not fair
2.gif
How would you propose to solve this inequity? And for me, even though our athletes may have more resources than some others, I''m still proud of them. Coming from the US absolutely does not mean that they didn''t have to work as hard or they didn''t want it as much. But I love a good underdog story too!

China on the other hand... let''s just say I am disgusted, but it hasn''t stopped me from watching! I am not sure who China thinks they are fooling though, because it seems that we are all quite aware of the disturbing things they''ve done to make this event happen.

misspinky

Brilliant_Rock
WOWWWWWWW! Anyone else watch that come from behind victory in the men''s 4X100 freestyle relay?!?!?! A-mazing. Absolutely beautiful. That''s what happens when you say you''re going to "smash" someone--piss them off and make them work harder

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
My husband and I actually gave eachother high-fives LOL...that was the most intense sports moment I can remember! I''m exhausted...like I swam LOL

misspinky

Brilliant_Rock
I yelled so loud that I made my 5 month old daughter cry. But then I bounced her up and down singing "we won, we won, we won" and she started laughing so all is well...

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
LOLOLOL

The best part was the looks on the French swimmers...it wouldn't have been SUCH a huge deal if they weren't a bunch of a-holes...

nclrgirl

Brilliant_Rock
That relay was AMAZING! We were screaming and cheering and all jumped out of our seats! I LOVE the Olympics!!

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
It was amazing. I just about dropped my laptop because I tried leaping off the couch and forgot about it.

I loved Michael Phelps'' reaction.

Jerky French guys. Arrogant buttheads.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love the Olympics, but at the risk of being flamed, I have to say I cheer for South Korea. What can I say...it''s the motherland.
3.gif
And of course, in our household we also cheer for the Aussies.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Michael Phelps is just phenomenal, he really is. I''d love for him to get his record haul of gold. I was having a nap-nap when the men''s relay was on and awoke just in time for the final leg, what a thriller!!! And all three placegetters broke the world record!

Meanwhile I''m enjoying the cross country immensely!! Very, very proud of our Aussie equestrian team
1.gif

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/11/2008 1:28:10 AM
Author: TravelingGal
Love the Olympics, but at the risk of being flamed, I have to say I cheer for South Korea. What can I say...it's the motherland.
3.gif
Yippee!!
9.gif
We were so rapt for Libby Trickett and Stephanie Rice, what champions!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/11/2008 1:34:39 AM
Author: DandiAndi

Date: 8/11/2008 1:28:10 AM
Author: TravelingGal
Love the Olympics, but at the risk of being flamed, I have to say I cheer for South Korea. What can I say...it''s the motherland.
3.gif
Yippee!!
9.gif
We were so rapt for Libby Trickett and Stephanie Rice, what champions!
I just love how Aussies ADORE sport. Hope to get my Aussie citizenship someday!!! (We''re definitely going to get it soon for our daughter.
36.gif
)

blondebunny

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/11/2008 12:12:14 AM
Author: moremoremore
My husband and I actually gave eachother high-fives LOL...that was the most intense sports moment I can remember! I'm exhausted...like I swam LOL
Ditto me and FF were like YEAH!!! We about died laughing when they were interviewing the guys and the one was ya well those "frenchies" and then whatever else he said, we couldnt believe he said that... (no pun intended to anyone)

That was the second time someone said something stupid in the way of Im gonna smash or beat or whatever in contention with Michael Phelps and they lost...silly people just dont know when to shut up, if ya wanna say it, keep it to yourself and dont say it on national television, you just look silly afterwords when ya get your butts beat!

joflier

Ideal_Rock
I thought it was really classy that while during the medal ceremony, Michael Phelps jumped off his platform to go shake hands with the Frenchies.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Opening ceremonies were absolutely beautiful. I am most excited about BASKETBALL, gymnastics (although China looks to have it on lockdown right now as our women are struggling), track & field (one of my friends is competing in javelin!), and swimming.

However, I don''t really think China got any "message" that the world is intolerant of their politics or ideals. If anything, I think the world has shown China what a short and selective memory it can have.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

I wanna be the "official" who sits on those chairs, behind the male swimmers.....................
11.gif
41.gif
Thrilling races yesterday!

cheers--Sharon

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/11/2008 11:37:05 AM
Author: canuk-gal
HI:

I wanna be the ''official'' who sits on those chairs, behind the male swimmers.....................
11.gif
41.gif
Thrilling races yesterday!

cheers--Sharon
Oh yes! I worked as medical staff for a few Big Ten & NCAA Championship swim meets and saw some of the nicest abs/arms/etc.
2.gif
I''ve ever seen!
30.gif

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I have the horse riding events schedule posted on the refrigerator, and it is noted that the TV is MINE During those time periods.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/11/2008 12:07:18 AM
Author: misspinky
WOWWWWWWW! Anyone else watch that come from behind victory in the men's 4X100 freestyle relay?!?!?! A-mazing. Absolutely beautiful. That's what happens when you say you're going to 'smash' someone--piss them off and make them work harder
Date: 8/11/2008 12:07:18 AM
Author: misspinky
WOWWWWWWW! Anyone else watch that come from behind victory in the men's 4X100 freestyle relay?!?!?! A-mazing. Absolutely beautiful. That's what happens when you say you're going to 'smash' someone--piss them off and make them work harder

Gotta say that was AWESOME. I heard the French talking smack and was annoyed, it is one thing to promote some healthy competition and a bit of spirited back and forth, but I tend to find the French so anti American and I find there is not a place for that in the Olympics. Everyone wants to win gold I am sure, but competing at the Olympic level and sounding off in a jerky way about your highest competitors, well, I guess that the French were not talking so much after Lezak barreled down the stretch obliterating the world record. The US has some incredible athletes and they showed it in the pool in that relay. The look on the French anchor's face when he knew the Americans had beaten them? I think it was one of the best relays or Olympic moments ever, like when the US beat the Russian hockey team...This was like one of the mastercard commercials..."look on the French team's faces when they LOSE? Priceless... they were strangely subdued after that, and I am sure they did not love hearing the Star Spangled Banner and seeing our flag up there...

As for fairness, not really sure how to answer that. Every country is not the same, and I think it is incredible when someone prevails who was more at a disadvantage in the training realm. There are superb runners from Africa who run barefoot and have no celeb endorsements and they fly by all the competition. How about countries where they let people starve yet they pluck kids with athletic promise out of the pack at age three or four, train the bejeebers out of them and set them up for life if they bring home gold? There are inequities in life unfortunately. I also heard that there was a chance China lied about the ages of the gymnasts who are supposed to be 16 but let me tell you even though most gymnasts are tiny a couple of those girls looked to be much younger to me...the pressures on all of these athletes is so unreal, train for years and one misstep and you are done...maybe your Olympic dream is over....that is so incredible to me. I also do not get some of the rules of amateur versus pro in the games...clearly the basketball players are paid professionals, as are the hockey players in the winter....how is that decided? Used to be only amateurs could play, but that was changed, and I do not really recall when or why.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Watching right now...VB - as a PSer, I nearly had a heart attack when the Olympic volunteers were trying to find Kerri Walsh''s wedding band!I''m so glad they found it - I don''t know HOW she finished that game...I would have been going nuts. Love the tape she''s sporting now! Maybe we should start suggesting that in the multiple "lab/winter gloves and rings" thread that come up every now and then. :)

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
It was an amazing relay race.

I can''t believe our women''s gymnastics team, though. The injuries are mounting.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
they have a strong US team finally but the injuries are already an issue...yikes.

The swimmers are dominating, they are superb athletes.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Can the male divers have a more skimpy bathing suit?? Holy canola.
6.gif
I''m surprised there aren''t any cracks showing.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, our mens and womens swim teams are really doing us proud! The womens teams aren''t favored as much, of course, but they have been amazing. China''s gymnastics teams are just awe-inspiring as well...most gymnasts are tiny and in general I think Asian females look younger than their counterparts of other ethnicities...so I''m just going to give them the benefit of the doubt because it''s a moot point at this juncture. I don''t really get the age limit anyway...if you are the best in your sport why does it matter how old you are (barring abuse, etc. of course)? The Olympics are supposed to be the best athletes in the sport around the world. I think the age thing especially doesn''t really make sense in gymnastics, where growth spurts can ruin your career; it''s not like football or something. I love the "Go World" commercials, too. I love it when American athletes win, but I really cheer for anyone who has the determination and talent to win a medal. The Olympics show us how amazing humans can be! Anyway, I''m just sitting back and watching MP break all the WRs he can!
1.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I call them "blank" huggers. Not attractive, but they need less drag. they must tape those down, because when they plummet into the pool and pop back up, I am surprised they do not come off.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
I know. It''s get more competitive every year so that all the men remove all body hair just to get that edge. I remember when they didn''t do that. I guess that means I''m old.
38.gif

I was impressed with that one female gymnast who is 33. Wow, that''s incredible to still be competing at that age. Good for her. She had a great vault in qualifying.

I want more gymnastics and less commercials. I really need to hook up my Tivo and/or get expanded cable. At least my daughter is recording everything the special channel. Except the opening ceremony. She is so bummed it didn''t record that and so her and her DH didn''t get to see it. I wanted to rewatch it on High Def with surround sound. Boo....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results