shape
carat
color
clarity

The Olympic Games Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Do you plan on watching any of it?

Are you getting excited?

What''s your favorite summer games sport?

I miss the good ole days when the coverage was all day, every day during the games.
15.gif

Lauren8211

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hope to watch it as much as possible!

I love women''s gymnastics, and diving.

GoingCrazy29

Shiny_Rock
Yes! I love Olympics, especially summer games! I can''t wait for gymnastics, swimming, and diving! I''ll watch anything though! SO EXCITED! Thank God for DVR...
9.gif

swimmer

Ideal_Rock
Swimming! Wooo Hoo!
Its never on TV other than the Olympics, once Nationals were on like ESPN 3 during the Superbowl. How can people not want to watch swimming? They are all so gorgeous, and their strokes are awesome. Dara Torres is the WOMAN!

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I am a gymnastics freak and love diving. It I could only choose two those would be it. I also like swimming and some of the track and field. I love high jump and relay races as well.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
Yes, I''m excited! I love watching gymnastics, diving, swimming, track and field...
Since I''m on bed rest now, I''ll be watching a lot of it!

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
gymnastics, swiming, diving, track & field are my favorites.

remember when Greg Louganis smacked his head on the board? that was scary. Just googled it- can you believe it happened in 1988?? seems like yesterday...

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Don''t get me started! I''m so excited...I have very strong feelings about the host country, but am SOOO looking forward to it! I usually pass on the opening ceremony though and catch clips on TV/youtube...

I love track and field and diving the best....and gymnastics too!....and swimming...lol....and....

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love watching gymnastics, swimming, and diving the best. I haven''t watched any gymnastics this year, so I have no idea who any of the gymnasts are, but I''ll tune in. Swimming and diving are my favorites of the three. I''m not really into much of the track and field coverage, but I''ll probably watch whatever''s on since it only comes around once every four years.

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
Usually gymnastics and swimming/diving, but I watched BMX on TV and WHOA...that stuff is really cool (but is BMX this year or in London? I''m confused). Women''s soccer for sure, I''ve always loved the Equestrian stuff, track is cool... okay, I pretty much LOVE the olympics. DH and I are staying in, getting chinese food, and watching the opening ceremonies.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love the Olympics. I''m a gymnastics fiend. I''ve been totally paying attention and even watched the USA trials.

I can''t wait to see Nastia Liukin (5''2, 18, USA), Shawn Johnson (4''8, 16, USA) and Chellsie Memmel (20, USA) but Chellsie was injured and can only compete in uneven bars.

And Oksana Chusovitina (33, Germany) is formerly from Uzbekistan but moved to Germany because the German coaches offered her financial help for her son, who was diagnosed with leukemia.

I can''t wait!

ladypirate

Ideal_Rock
I like the gymnastic trampolining--it''s like a combination of gymnastics AND diving!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love gymnastics, diving and swimming. I can''t wait!!!

icekid

Ideal_Rock
I love the Olympics too! Gymnastics, swimming, track- Can watch for hours! unfortunately, I have work work and more work (darn near 100 hours this week
8.gif
). I love the winter Olympics more though. My family lives eats breaths hockey, plus I''m a figure skater.

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/8/2008 3:46:17 PM
Author: moremoremore
Don''t get me started! I''m so excited...I have very strong feelings about the host country, but am SOOO looking forward to it! I usually pass on the opening ceremony though and catch clips on TV/youtube...

I love track and field and diving the best....and gymnastics too!....and swimming...lol....and....
Ditto to this, moremoremore. I have SERIOUS issues with the committee that chose the location of the Olympics [worst decision since the Berlin Olympics, imo] and I will be lighting candles every day of the games to recognize my friends in Tibet and their families, as well as remind myself and hopefully others of this poor decision in hopes that in the future better choices can be made.

That said, I love watching the Olympics, and I want to be part of watching and honoring the athletes who trained so long and hard to get to where they are. It''s so inspiring! I especially love the gymnastics competitions. It is a very cool event, for sure.
9.gif

Elmorton

Ideal_Rock
EEEEEK! It's starting!!! I got Mu Shoo Chicken and Chicken with cashews and egg rolls for dinner, so I don't have to leave the excitement, haha. The intro thingie was pretty cool.

Uh....does anyone else have a black screen now?

ETA: WHEW! It came back...I had a peacock logo just hanging out for about 30 sec and nearly had a heart attack.

ETA again: Wishful - I totally agree. Not only do the issues w/ Tibet bother me, but the Chinese gov't has done horrible things to its people (taking away water from rice farmers, relying on underpaid migrant workers, etc) to put this olympics on...I love the olympics, but part of me feels incredibly guilty about being so excited when the host country has acted in the manner that it has.

ChargerGrrl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/8/2008 7:36:17 PM
Author: Elmorton

ETA again: Wishful - I totally agree. Not only do the issues w/ Tibet bother me, but the Chinese gov''t has done horrible things to its people (taking away water from rice farmers, relying on underpaid migrant workers, etc) to put this olympics on...I love the olympics, but part of me feels incredibly guilty about being so excited when the host country has acted in the manner that it has.
I''m with you gals on this and am TRYING to separate the two things and not feel so guilty about "supporting" the event by watching it on TV

WishfulThinking

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/8/2008 8:01:56 PM
Author: ChargerGrrl
Date: 8/8/2008 7:36:17 PM

Author: Elmorton

ETA again: Wishful - I totally agree. Not only do the issues w/ Tibet bother me, but the Chinese gov''t has done horrible things to its people (taking away water from rice farmers, relying on underpaid migrant workers, etc) to put this olympics on...I love the olympics, but part of me feels incredibly guilty about being so excited when the host country has acted in the manner that it has.

I''m with you gals on this and am TRYING to separate the two things and not feel so guilty about ''supporting'' the event by watching it on TV
Elmorton- That is absolutely true as well. IMO China has been out of control, both with internal and external affairs. We can add the conflict in Darfur, Sudan to the list of things China should act on but refuses to.

Like you ChargerGrrl I have been struggling with this. It wasn''t until a few days ago when I heard some pretty inspiring stories about Olympic athletes [here is a link to one particularly moving one: http://current.com/items/89179153_muslim_sportswomen_gain_standing_in_beijing] and all of their accomplishments and training. I think a true boycott of the Olympics undermines all they have done to prepare for it; it''s not their fault that the Olympic committee chose China of all places to hold the games. I support the athletes because they are talented and hard-working. I think they deserve to be watched as they showcase what so many of them have trained for for so many years.

On a similar note, I am also speaking out these next few weeks about the inequities involved in the Olympic games. I think it''s incredibly unfair that so many of the athletes from "developed" countries have access to better training materials, equipment and facilities, while athletes from poorer countries do not. It is an extreme disadvantage to them that they have successfully overcome many times [which doesn''t make it any more fair]. I absolutely celebrate those who have come so far to the Olympics training with so very little and who, so often, kick our rich butts.
1.gif

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/8/2008 3:43:13 PM
Author: ChargerGrrl
gymnastics, swiming, diving, track & field are my favorites.

remember when Greg Louganis smacked his head on the board? that was scary. Just googled it- can you believe it happened in 1988?? seems like yesterday...

Yes, and they showed it over and over in slo mo. He went to high school in here in east county. When my daughter decided she wanted to be on the dive team in high school in addition to the swim team, I freaked. I couldn't watch her dive. I would sort of watch her out of the corner of my eye while being a timer for the boy's swim team. I was so afraid she would whack the dive board like Louganis did.

p.s. One of my high school friends "dated" him in high school. That was funny to me...

ETA: Remember that one chick who ran the track with no shoes?
6.gif
That was crazy. I so wanted her to win, but she got tripped up and fell. That was sad.

Wishful: I am so with you on the location thing. Yet, I try so hard to separate the two by allowing myself to remember that this is more about the atheletes and NOT the governmental/corporations who exploit them for money.
14.gif

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Yep, there''s lots of excitement here. DD has been counting down for Opening Ceremonies all day. During the last few days we''ve been watching the soccer games. I''m totally looking forward to gymnastics, diving, and track!

misspinky

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/8/2008 5:59:09 PM
Author: ladypirate
I like the gymnastic trampolining--it''s like a combination of gymnastics AND diving!

Ditto on the trampoline. For those of you who love gymnastics, you''ll LOVE trampoline! It''s like gymnastics on steroids (and I used to do a form of gymnastics). If you can catch any of the synchronized trampoline WATCH IT! I promise you won''t be disappointed!

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
It''s official, I am a true PS''er when the olympic rings during the opening ceremony just look like big round diamond eternity bands
9.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/8/2008 11:15:38 PM
Author: miraclesrule
It''s official, I am a true PS''er when the olympic rings during the opening ceremony just look like big round diamond eternity bands
9.gif
HI:

I was just gonna say the same thing....
9.gif

I thoroughly enjoyed the opening ceremonies--mesmerizing! WOW! Can''t wait for the fencing, diving, swimming.....

cheers--Sharon

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
YAY!!! I love the Olympics! I remember watching them most of the day when I was a kid (the few times Mom bent the limited TV rules). My favorite is gymnastics and swimming. Specifically, I love men''s gymnastics when they show their strength on the rings or bars. It''s just amazing to me. Although, I''ll never forget Kerri Strug landing on one foot in 1996. Their strength, endurance, commitment, and perseverance are awe-inspiring. They''re like the TRUE bodies God intended.

VegasAngel

Brilliant_Rock
Opening ceremony was spectacular, really beautiful.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I adore the rhythmic gymnastics, swimming and equestrian. The opening ceremony was a credit to the organisers, what a spectacular show!!!

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
I enjoy gymnastics, diving, and equestrian events (dressage being my absolute favorite, with 3-day event being next favorite). Additionally, I do like to watch some track & field and swimming, which always seem to get my heart pumping!!

Clio

Brilliant_Rock
I do love the Olympics. Equestrian and diving are my favorites. I have issues about the location, but I also want to support the athletes. They''ve all worked very hard to get there, and they were all so excited yesterday in the opening ceremonies. I loved the ceremony - it was beautifully done (now if only they could shut Bob Costas up).

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
Did you hear on the news??? A Chinese man shot two Americans What a way to start the Olympics. He then jumped off a building.

On the other foot, I love the Olympics. I do prefer the winter ones best. Love the ice skating.

Linda

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
omg. so i just finished watching the drum sequence in the opening ceremony.
23.gif
23.gif
23.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results