shape
carat
color
clarity

The Olympic Games Thread...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/21/2008 9:36:01 AM
Author: meresal

FYI: Softball and Baseball are no longer going to be olympic sports, at least that''s what I heard.

Baseball is apparently too unprofessional, and Softaball is too dominant (how ironic, right?)
Yes, no baseball or softball for at least eight years. I never really followed baseball or softball (prefer football & basketball), but it does seem odd since the MLB has so many international players. It makes sense though, because the IOC is so Europe-heavy & baseball/softball is mainly based in the US, Canada, & Asia. Also, because the MLB doesn''t shut down to send players to the Olympics, I can see the lack of "professionalism" they claim. I read the MLB was organizing their own international competition in light of their boot from the Olympics, so that will probably be somewhat entertaining (although obviously not Olympic-caliber).

Because the US had won all the gold medals in softball (in the past), I could see why the European nations are quick to be rid of it (though I don''t agree). Yes, very ironic this year!

I don''t know how they decide which sports allow professionals...does anyone know if baseball doesn''t allow it or if the players just can''t go because they are in-season?

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
:: Continuation of spoiler - don't read if you haven't seen the 400m final!!! ::

Meresal, I know!
39.gif
But overall it was a fantastic race! Oh, I'm in Tokyo, so I get to watch it live after work (yay!) since there's only an hour's time difference. I wish I'd known this earlier though when gymnastics and swimming were on! I missed all of it except the beam and high bar individual finals
38.gif

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
***SPOILER***
OMG THE WOMEN RELAY DROPPED THEIR BATON TOO?! How terrible.
32.gif
That''s like a false start in swimming...totally unacceptable but I guess it happens. I''m just shocked that BOTH teams would do the same thing during between the same legs!
***SPOILER END***

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
This is what BF told me about baseball-it''s not that they can''t go, it''s that the teams discourages them from going because of the money making potentially here in the US, and why should the players want to go if they aren''t getting paid for it? No comment on the money-grubberness of this.

I think they are trying to get both baseball and softball back for 2016, but it is definitely not happening in 2012.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/21/2008 2:33:58 PM
Author: FrekeChild
This is what BF told me about baseball-it''s not that they can''t go, it''s that the teams discourages them from going because of the money making potentially here in the US, and why should the players want to go if they aren''t getting paid for it? No comment on the money-grubberness of this.

I think they are trying to get both baseball and softball back for 2016, but it is definitely not happening in 2012.
I wish they would have some sort of break for the Olympics...I mean there are many international players in the MLB who would probably love to represent their countries on their national teams like the international NBA players. Baseball players are paid so much...you''d think the organizations could take a little break to represent their country. I do understand why players wouldn''t want to go if everyone isn''t going, I just wish the administration would make it okay for them to go.

I think it was actually a good thing that USA softball didn''t win gold this year for those in the US who want it to be brought back.

Does anyone know the history of equestrian being an Olympic sport? I think it is an overall amazing sport, but it seems odd to me to include a sport where your horse determines much of your score & the horses are trained by several people in addition to the rider...does the whole training team get medals if they win? If anyone follows this sport more closely more information would be great!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
felt bad for Laura Wilkinson, her dives were simply not as great as the Canadian and Chinese girls.

Loved the sweep in track, boy was that terrible with the batons. How awful!

Glad Rogers and Dalhausser won, it was a bit tense for a while!!!

I am personally very glad that the IOOC is checking into the age issue with the Chinese female gymnasts. I think it is really despicable if they are not 16 or close to it by 12/31/08. Everyone else follows the rules. They will lose medals. A girl from the Chinese team who medaled in Sydney said she was only 14 that year. I think it stinks. If the rule is bogus, let all all the countries deal with it fairly. I am not sure why they must be 16, is that true for all athletes? Not sure, but anyway, one might not agree with the rule but the rule is there, and if the Chinese are proved to have falsified documents I think that is wretched.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
no way those Chinese girls are 16!

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
According to the most recent news, the IOC has concluded that there is no proof. Whether or not the girls are underage, it seems that there is just no concrete evidence to prove they are. The girls'' families turned in all kinds of documents; whether those are falsified we will never know, which is why the controversy has basically been "put to rest." It seems that those complaining had the burden of proof once the proper documents were in place & they did not meet it to a standard where the stripping of medals or other punishment was warranted. There is more discussion about this issue in the Around the World thread, but China''s Sydney fiasco was not the first (or probably last) time a country falsified documents for gymnastics.

YAY for our beach volleyball teams!
36.gif
Both teams really redeemed the USA athletes on a day where mental mistakes were abound. Both teams are so deserving & proved their talents in such a classy way.

I felt bad for Laura too! Her crying during her post-competition interview was so sad & you could tell she was just a huge ball of emotions.

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was amazed that the relay teams dropped the batons but it is a tough thing and other teams were dq''d for not passing in the zone and lane infringement. The pressure is really on in these situations.

I remember my son running in a 4 x 800 at the State championships, he was the anchor leg and they won the gold, and I was freaking out. You just pray in those second thats the hander is certain the receiver has the baton, it is all in seconds.

I heard that this age thing was going on as of last night, so not sure what is up. Read about it online about midnight east coast time.

Did the American win the decathlon? He was in the lead after 9 events I think? Yeah!

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/22/2008 9:58:09 AM
Author: diamondfan
I was amazed that the relay teams dropped the batons but it is a tough thing and other teams were dq''d for not passing in the zone and lane infringement. The pressure is really on in these situations.

I remember my son running in a 4 x 800 at the State championships, he was the anchor leg and they won the gold, and I was freaking out. You just pray in those second thats the hander is certain the receiver has the baton, it is all in seconds.

I heard that this age thing was going on as of last night, so not sure what is up. Read about it online about midnight east coast time.

Did the American win the decathlon? He was in the lead after 9 events I think? Yeah!
Yeah, I was surprised at the quick outcome of the investigation as well! I woke up & the NBC Olympics webpage had a whole article about it already. I guess everyone just wanted it wrapped up before the end of the Games.

I was shocked at both teams dropping the baton - you''d think that seeing one team do it would lead the other to just take their time in the prelim & be extra careful. After seeing the mens'' dreams crushed I would''ve held onto that thing until the other runner yanked it from me! I understand it more in the finals, where you are truly trying to get the best time, but the US teams would''ve qualified easily if they had just taken the time to hand-off correctly. Looks like it isn''t isolated to our team though, as the Jamaican women messed up in the final relay as well.

I also found all the DQs in the 200m very surprising...I thought it was funny that the announcers were saying that Bolt''s unprecedented speed distracted the runners & that''s why they stepped out!
3.gif

Brian Clay is amazing! Those athletes are truly on a whole nother level. Looks like he built up enough of a lead to just coast to a gold - YAY!
36.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Another article on the gymnastics BS...Washington Post

It doesn''t seem like it''s over yet though...

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/22/2008 3:37:10 PM
Author: FrekeChild
Another article on the gymnastics BS...Washington Post

It doesn't seem like it's over yet though...
Yeah, it's really gotten out of hand. If the IOC/FIG is done with the issue the only other venue of protest would be with the Court of Artbitration of Sport (I think that's what it's called), but I doubt that will result in a different outcome. The IOC is faced with Internet databases from a hacker (& possibly other evidence, but it hasn't been revealed) vs. old/new passports, IDs, birth certificates, permits, etc...no one will admit they falsified any documents, so I don't see how a different conclusion would ever result. In the end, no matter what the outcome, there will always be people who don't believe one side or the other; it's really turned ugly.
38.gif

ETA: The media has all but condemned these girls, acting as the authoritative judge & jury. That's too bad, as these girls will live with speculation for the rest of their lives.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

We continue to be enthralled by the games--and the outcomes! Most entertainment I''ve enjoyed in a long while. Horray for the athletes and their families giving me such pleasure!

cheers--Sharon

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Yay for volleyball & basketball. Both teams won so many games to get their gold medals & did so convincingly.
36.gif
The basketball team was under such pressure to win or be considered failures so I''m glad they pulled it together as a team throughout the Games.

I must say the Opening & Closing ceremonies for these Games have been the most beautiful I have ever seen. Maybe I just don''t remember the others as clearly, but I don''t remember them being as visually stunning or choreographed so intricately as the ones this year. The use of color & theatrics of it all really makes the ceremonies works of art IMHO.

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
I completely forgot to watch the closing ceremony....
39.gif

Hopefully my daughter has it recorded so I can watch it in high def.

Anna0499

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/24/2008 4:03:16 PM
Author: miraclesrule
I completely forgot to watch the closing ceremony....
39.gif

Hopefully my daughter has it recorded so I can watch it in high def.
Miracles - The taped version actually comes on tonight, so you didn''t miss it! I just watched it online.
1.gif

miraclesrule

Ideal_Rock
D''oH!!! OMG, Thank you IndyGirl!! I forgot that they are wayyyyyyy ahead of us time wise. I noticed it on the online news and was bummed. Now, I am all excited now that I get to watch it.
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results