carat
color
clarity

The Official TTC Thread!

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/28/2008 8:45:56 AM
Author: blushingbride
Thank you Blenheim - can''t wait to hear your news!!
5.gif

Gemma thank you for sharing your story. I''m hoping my situation is similar since my progesterone was high. Do you continue to take clomid once you''re pregnant? Were there any side effects to worry about? I really haven''t done much research on it since I''m still waiting to hear back from my doctor.
Apparently clomid''s no fun.

It can dry up all cervical mucus and u really should stop taking it after 3 months of use.

Clomid is most effective w/ an egg ripening protocol (highest preg. rates) and IUI. Caveat: for those w/ dx IF.

Its heavy duty stuff, that''s why I am sorta stalling.

But maybe I''ll have more to contribute in less than a months time.

Starting the 2 WW or 3 WW as it so happened last cycle.

ARGGGG - must knit, must knit.......DD anyone?

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
My dad actually services those blood pressure machines in drug stores (like CVS, Rite Aid, Longs), and he''s hoping to find something along that range- servicing or something. He''s really a jack of all trades, though, as he''s done pretty much EVERYTHING. I just worry about him.
1.gif
I honestly don''t even know where to look for him. Thanks for all the nice thoughts, ladies.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Aww! You''re poor dad. I haven''t caught up properly, but did you mention if he is going to be OK financially? I mean, does he HAVE TO find a new job quickly?

Poor guy. At that age, it extra sucks.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
By the way, are all your DH''s off alcohol while you''re trying? Mine came home rather sopping last night (long story) and since we''re in the GREEEEEEEN light zone, I was a little ticked.

Anyone know how much affect that really has?

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
IG, I am not sure what the experts say but we have friends who got preggo on the first time BECAUSE they were too drunk to remember to buy condoms. Luckily they were planning on trying soon anyways. I wouldn''t worry about it.

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
IG, thanks for the kind words. He''s got a bit of savings, but he''s never really been a SAVER, ya know? He''s got great credit history, the house is paid off, and all he has to pay on it are property taxes. Still, he NEEDS a job, to be able to get by. That and the fact that he''s a man who needs to have a job. The best case scenario would be him getting picked up by the parent company who bought out HIS company.

As for boozin'' hubbies, mine has a beer or two a week, and that''s it. And really only when the Sam Adams Summer Ale is out.
9.gif
I really don''t know if it makes a difference, since I''ve heard we don''t even share a bloodline with the fetus until a few weeks of pregnancy, it can''t be terrible. Hm...

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/28/2008 2:06:59 PM
Author: Independent Gal
By the way, are all your DH''s off alcohol while you''re trying? Mine came home rather sopping last night (long story) and since we''re in the GREEEEEEEN light zone, I was a little ticked.

Anyone know how much affect that really has?
Apparently the boys he is shooting on day "A" were produced quite a few days ago (like "A" - 4), so even if there was an effect it is probaby okay! The swimmers hang out in the reproductive track and develop for like weeks before they are called into action.

My DH did the same thing last month and I really gave him heck. I just think we should be as healthy as possible at this time. My threat of "three-headed babies" usually sobers him up and keeps him on the straight and narrow.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/28/2008 2:19:51 PM
Author: AmberWaves
IG, thanks for the kind words. He''s got a bit of savings, but he''s never really been a SAVER, ya know? He''s got great credit history, the house is paid off, and all he has to pay on it are property taxes. Still, he NEEDS a job, to be able to get by. That and the fact that he''s a man who needs to have a job. The best case scenario would be him getting picked up by the parent company who bought out HIS company.

As for boozin'' hubbies, mine has a beer or two a week, and that''s it. And really only when the Sam Adams Summer Ale is out.
9.gif
I really don''t know if it makes a difference, since I''ve heard we don''t even share a bloodline with the fetus until a few weeks of pregnancy, it can''t be terrible. Hm...

LOL... and hubby actually NEVER shares a direct blood line with the baby! I know what you mean though
2.gif
Just razzin'' ya.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Ah, the problem is that I think DH might kinda like the idea of a three-headed baby. He is a big nerd after all.
9.gif
He'd be all "One head is great! But three heads is triple-great!"

What I read is that there is some research showing that production rates and quality go down when the boys are boozin'-by-proxy.

I'm sure people have been gettin' knocked up while drunk for millenia. I guess, timing-wise, I just really want EVERYTHING going for us this month and (if necessary) next.

But yeah, I should probably give him a break. He is having a pretty stressful time at work right now, after all.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Aaaaand, there''s only an 15% chance it''ll happen this month anyway.

I have to keep reminding myself of that.

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
I hear ya, IG. That''s why I keep giving him the vitamins, since he needs to be healthy anyway, right?
1.gif
Oddly enough, I''m the one who forgets HER vitamins.

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
So this past weekend the hubs and I were at my aunt''s 50th anniversary party, and a few family members stumbled drunkenly over to me and started berating me about not giving my mom a grandchild. That was fun. it''s not like I could say, "I''M TRYING, OKAY??"

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/28/2008 3:21:27 PM
So this past weekend the hubs and I were at my aunt''s 50th anniversary party, and a few family members stumbled drunkenly over to me and started berating me about not giving my mom a grandchild. That was fun. it''s not like I could say, ''I''M TRYING, OKAY??''
Too funny - I get that all the time! In fact, I was just on the phone with one of my co-workers who has a 1-year old of his own. He JUST asked me when me the hubby are going to start having babies. I just laughed and told him he sounds like my parents!
2.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/28/2008 3:29:25 PM
Author: blushingbride

Date: 5/28/2008 3:21:27 PM
So this past weekend the hubs and I were at my aunt's 50th anniversary party, and a few family members stumbled drunkenly over to me and started berating me about not giving my mom a grandchild. That was fun. it's not like I could say, 'I'M TRYING, OKAY??'
Too funny - I get that all the time! In fact, I was just on the phone with one of my co-workers who has a 1-year old of his own. He JUST asked me when me the hubby are going to start having babies. I just laughed and told him he sounds like my parents!
2.gif
Last week my DH's dumb-a$% little brother says, "So when are you guys gonna make me an uncle? Ya know, when you get older you can have a retarded baby right? It gets so likely when you're, like, over 30!"

20.gif
Thanks, buddy, that really helps a lot.

Sighhhh some moments I feel great and think, yeah the odds are low each month, it's just a matter of time (where'd you get 15% Indy? I thought it was 25%?). And then some moments I think of all the one-hit wonders who BD'd once and got knocked up and I think, "What is wrong with me?!??" Those are not great moments. Trouble is, getting preggers was supposed to be my chance to pursue another important goal to distract me from the fact that I am in career limbo, but with it not working out so quickly, I dont feel that I have a happy distraction... don't wanna work, that's depressing, don't wanna think about babies, that's depressing. It is just depressing
3.gif

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
I know, DD. My parents already have a granddaughter, although they''ve never met her. She lives in Sydney with my brother, so I know it''s hard for them to know they have a grandkid, but can''t see her without spending a pretty penny. Since my bro and SIL don''t have room, my parents would have to spend about 2k to fly there, and then money for food and a room. They wouldnt want to go without bringing something for the baby... adds up.

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Amber, I hope things start to look up for your dad. I''m sorry he''s going through that.

Alcohol - neither of us has laid off, although we''re not heavy drinkers to begin with. I''ve been limiting myself to 2 drinks a day when I do drink, which I think is reasonable. Even if I''m pregnant (and the odds are lower that I''m pregnant than they are that I''m not), I''m not sharing blood with the blastocyst or whatever it is at this point.

My chart - I was 0.03 degrees away from having a second thermal shift today (meaning 3 temps at least 0.2 deg higher than the 6 temps prior to shift). It could easily be explained by my waking up 15 min early (you''re supposed to adjust by 0.1 deg per half hour) or by the fact that our windows were wide open and it was in the 40s outside. But when I fudged the numbers a bit, adding 0.05 deg for the 15 min early, Ovusoft still didn''t give me triphasic. I''ve attached the un-fudged version of today''s chart.

The book at software don''t say anything about how long the second thermal shift has to be sustained to be considered triphasic, but the info I''ve found online says to go by the same 3 high temps rule that you use for ovulation. I wonder when the software gives triphasic -- I know that it does for some people.

BFN this morning at 9 dpo. I really need to stop testing until more time has passed, but it''s just so tempting.

BlenheimMay28.jpg

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
DD I''m so sorry that your down in the dumps. I totally ''get'' what you''re saying, and it doesnt make it easier when jerkstores like me pop in and pop out just as fast. Although my words may not cheer you up, I know that you can dig into that bright self of yours and focus all your energy into good places. Stay positive. I think its the key to everything in life! Hang in there! hugs lady friend.

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
eek and YEY Blein! I actually have no idea what any of that (postO temps) means but I''m baby dusting you anyways! Any cramping during implatation? CANT WAIT to see what the next few days hold!
36.gif

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock

indy: i too know some awfully cute babies that were the result of some intoxicated loving - I really wouldn''t be too worried -- or too hard on your man.

amber: sorry to hear about your dad, but it''s wonderful that you can provide such positive support for him. he''ll find something and like you said, hopefully it''ll be something that he wants to do rather than needs to do.

blen: baby dust, baby dust, baby dust. and drop the stick
9.gif
. just kidding - the two week wait is torture.

DD: your book club is a good idea, though i''m failing miserably at my real-life one so...

nothing too new on my front - i''m likely just beyond my own "green zone" and since i was so miserably sick nothing''s going to be happening this go-around.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Howdy Ladies!

So after a long productive workday, I thought I''d read some more about reproductive playdays.

Any of the rest of you have access to JStor? DD? Anyway, I decided to look at some of the actual studies, instead of people talking about studies on websites, and some of what I''ve learned is pretty interesting.

A lot of the recent research seems to focus on the probability of conceiving on specific cycle days. Apparently, two days before you ov, you have, like, a 40% chance of getting knocked up. The surrounding days it''s about 15%. I''ll see if I can find the link to that study.

The lesson being, the week surrounding ovulation (6 days before, 2 days after) GET BUSY EVERY SINGLE DAY!

I also read that the jury really is still out on whether every day or every other day makes any difference. Some show a slight difference in one direction, some a slight difference in the other, but given that there seems to be this magic SUPER-fertile day, it would seem to make sense to go with every day during that 8 days.

I mean, if you can convince your man to go with the plan.

31.gif

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/28/2008 9:33:38 PM
Howdy Ladies!

So after a long productive workday, I thought I'd read some more about reproductive playdays.

Any of the rest of you have access to JStor? DD? Anyway, I decided to look at some of the actual studies, instead of people talking about studies on websites, and some of what I've learned is pretty interesting.

A lot of the recent research seems to focus on the probability of conceiving on specific cycle days. Apparently, two days before you ov, you have, like, a 40% chance of getting knocked up. The surrounding days it's about 15%. I'll see if I can find the link to that study.

The lesson being, the week surrounding ovulation (6 days before, 2 days after) GET BUSY EVERY SINGLE DAY!

I also read that the jury really is still out on whether every day or every other day makes any difference. Some show a slight difference in one direction, some a slight difference in the other, but given that there seems to be this magic SUPER-fertile day, it would seem to make sense to go with every day during that 8 days.

I mean, if you can convince your man to go with the plan.

31.gif

I do I do! I have been on pubmed all afternoon researching whether there really is a relationship between maternal weight gain and baby birthweight, for twin moms.
1.gif
I love research!

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
OK, I got it a bit wrong. According to this study:

"In the 192 cycles resulting in conception, intercourse occurred at least once during the six consecutive days that ended on the day of ovulation. No pregnancies occurred if intercourse followed ovulation or occurred more than six days before ovulation. The probability of conception ranged from 0.10, when intercourse occurred five days before ovulation, to 0.33, when intercourse occurred on the day of ovulation. The probability of conception was highest with daily intercourse (0.37) and dropped to 0.15 with untimed intercourse once a week. Increased frequency of intercourse did not lower fertility, disputing the belief that frequent intercourse will decrease the potency of semen.

The authors conclude that in healthy women trying to conceive, nearly all pregnancies can be attributed to intercourse during a six-day period ending on the day of ovulation. No association between timing of intercourse and the sex of the infant was found. (Wilcox AJ, et al. timing of sexual intercourse in relation to ovulation. N Engl J Med 1995; 333:1517-21.)"

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Some of you luteal phase worriers may find this interesting too

"Firstly, only a small percentage of women ovulate exactly 14 days before the onset of menses. 10 16 This is true even for women whose cycles are usually 28 days long. Among the 69 cycles for 28 days in our study, ovulation occurred 14 days before the next menses in only 10%. Time from ovulation to next menses ranged from 7 to 19 days (days 10 to 22 of the menstrual cycle). Thus, the fertile window can occur much earlier or later in the cycle than clinical guidelines suggest."

http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/321/7271/1259

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/28/2008 4:22:36 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie
Last week my DH's dumb-a$% little brother says, 'So when are you guys gonna make me an uncle? Ya know, when you get older you can have a retarded baby right? It gets so likely when you're, like, over 30!'
Thanks, buddy, that really helps a lot.

Sighhhh some moments I feel great and think, yeah the odds are low each month, it's just a matter of time (where'd you get 15% Indy? I thought it was 25%?). And then some moments I think of all the one-hit wonders who BD'd once and got knocked up and I think, 'What is wrong with me?!??' Those are not great moments. Trouble is, getting preggers was supposed to be my chance to pursue another important goal to distract me from the fact that I am in career limbo, but with it not working out so quickly, I dont feel that I have a happy distraction... don't wanna work, that's depressing, don't wanna think about babies, that's depressing. It is just depressing
3.gif

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
My text keeps ending up quoted! phooey!

What I meant to respond was:

Wow. Some li'l BIL! How about that.
20.gif

I read in one place that, for over 30's, it's 15% a month, and overall for women in general it's 20% a month.

The thing is that I've been finding lots of variables that are left out of this. So, for instance, without taking age into account, if you hit ovulation day dead on, you have a 33% chance (was it?) of getting knocked up. So if you get busy every day... Only that doesn't take age into account.

In a HUGE study I read about (770 couples?) 60ish% of women 28-34 were knocked up after 5 cycles.

So, who knows? I guess we just git busy and see what happens?

My lust for statistics on everything is quite overwhelming.
34.gif
33.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Great research Indy!

You know, it seem to me that the "guidlines" that doctors use to quantify what is "normal" are often shifting, especially with respect to fertility/pregnancy/childbirth. The last study you posted is an interesting example of how assumtions about luteal phases and ovulation timing may be contradicted by recent research. We need to remember that women''s bodies and fertility is really understudied, and has been for years, so some of the common wisdom that doctors use may not be the most up to date. I was really surprised to read in TCOYF that many fertility tests are performed at certain points in women''s cycles, assuming that all women ovulate at CD-14. It seems so simple a thing, to study the normal processes in the female body before beginning to design interventions to "fix" problems that may not actually exist.

This reminds me a little of the Freudian assumtion that unless a woman could orgasm through penetration alone, then she was considered "defective" and "psychologically imbalanced", and that assumption guided much psycho-sexual research and therapy for decades. It wasn''t until Kinsey started actually examining the biology of the processes that it was "discovered" that Freud hadn''t gotten it quite right. Or how historectomy was often performed to cure mental proglems. All examples of putting the horse before the cart, when it came to understanding women''s bodies.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Yes. Apparently, it is only ACTUALLY a 2ww for 10% of women. Making it HIGHLY abnormal.
25.gif

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/28/2008 10:22:28 PM

Wow. Some li''l BIL! How about that.
20.gif

I read in one place that, for over 30''s, it''s 15% a month, and overall for women in general it''s 20% a month.

The thing is that I''ve been finding lots of variables that are left out of this. So, for instance, without taking age into account, if you hit ovulation day dead on, you have a 33% chance (was it?) of getting knocked up. So if you get busy every day... Only that doesn''t take age into account.

In a HUGE study I read about (770 couples?) 60ish% of women 28-34 were knocked up after 5 cycles.

34.gif
33.gif
Well I am counting on you to find the research Indy, I am not familiar with the medical search engines and shudder to even begin digging into it!

60% after 5 months seems pretty good, unless you are in the other 40% of course! I agree that better research is needed to answer some burning questions: like, were all those couples timing things around the fertile window? I highly doubt it since most people I know don''t even know what the fertile window is! haha.. I didn''t even know about charting CF until I found this thread!

Here is the stat I want: what percentage of women get knocked up in a 6 month period who are between 28-35 and are charting and doing the f-tastic every day during their CF-verified fertile window? Them odds gotta be better, no?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/28/2008 10:47:57 PM
Yes. Apparently, it is only ACTUALLY a 2ww for 10% of women. Making it HIGHLY abnormal.
25.gif
LOL!!

Okay, let''s start calling it something else then. We could call it the "2ww" with airquotes and a meaningful pause beforehand... any better ideas? I say we call it the knitting club.

Lisa is just joining the knitting club I think, and Blenheim is almost finished darning her socks. In another week or so, Amber and I will knit a scarf together.

Think it''ll catch on?
19.gif

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/28/2008 10:48:11 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie

Date: 5/28/2008 10:22:28 PM

Wow. Some li''l BIL! How about that.
20.gif

I read in one place that, for over 30''s, it''s 15% a month, and overall for women in general it''s 20% a month.

The thing is that I''ve been finding lots of variables that are left out of this. So, for instance, without taking age into account, if you hit ovulation day dead on, you have a 33% chance (was it?) of getting knocked up. So if you get busy every day... Only that doesn''t take age into account.

34.gif
33.gif
Well I am counting on you to find the research Indy, I am not familiar with the medical search engines and shudder to even begin digging into it!

60% after 5 months seems pretty good, unless you are in the other 40% of course! I agree that better research is needed to answer some burning questions: like, were all those couples timing things around the fertile window? I highly doubt it since most people I know don''t even know what the fertile window is! haha.. I didn''t even know about charting CF until I found this thread!

Here is the stat I want: what percentage of women get knocked up in a 6 month period who are between 28-35 and are charting and doing the f-tastic every day during their CF-verified fertile window? Them odds gotta be better, no?
I think the answer is vague - it depends.

On what? Just about everything kinda like a diamond.

Seems like the planets have to align just so for everything to go right.....

1 st round we did it 4 times (over a weekend) and BAM - Olivia! BTW: I''m pretty sure alcohol was involved. No 2 day wait for swimmers and I don''t even think any mucus was present probably was dry as a chip. Was under a ton of stress as my house nearly burned down after a 5 day fire in the area.

2 nd round we''ve been at it for 6 months, OPK''s, betas, BW - our best most recent chance we had 8 BD x 1 week and had a follicle visualized, EWCM and.......... zippola.

I don''t even get it!

I''ll dig through Silber''s book to find his stats after bathtime. I think he speaks about the various age groups, etc.

Mela - too funny you jerkstore!
25.gif

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results