shape
carat
color
clarity

The Official TTC Thread!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Before I get my hopes up, I need some opinions.

When I was going to bed last night I opened the bin in the bathroom to chuck something away and on the top was the test that I did yesterday morning.

And, there was a distinct blue vertical line - it''s straight not wavy, but quite thin. It was one of the Clear Blue early response ones with the part that is meant to go like cross hairs. It definitely didn''t show the line while I was looking at for 5 minutes after I took the test.

I did another one this morning, and nothing showed up at all, but when I looked at it just now it seems like there is another blue line like the one from yesterday but much fainter.

Could this just be an evaporation line? If so would it usually be exactly bisecting the horizontal line?

If it''s not, why would it take so long to show up? And why wouldn''t I get a firm positive today if it was in fact a BFP yesterday.

I wish I hadn''t seen it as I now feel even more PO''d with the whole stressy knitty thing. Thank goodness AF is due tomorrow and I''ll know for sure!

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/12/2008 8:52:07 AM
Author: Pandora II
I''m so sorry Fisher, I would second getting another opinion. They don''t seem to be being very helpful.

I hope things settle down soon. The only time my cycle ever went nuts was when they changed my BCP after that cancer scare thing in about 1994. I went from clockwork to having 14 day cycles, then 7 week cycles, AF lasting for 3 weeks at a time, you name it. I eventually stopped taking it to try and get my body normal which took a couple of cycles and then switched to a new brand.

It seems you don''t need much to send things weird, but I would want a bit more input from a doctor at this point. I think half the problem is that we are a bunch of bright, intelligent women who do all we can to work things out before we go for help. Sadly, a lot of people tend to pick up the phone every 5 minutes for help for no good reason.

My father had a few of the first and a lot of the second amongst his patients. If the first rang, he would drop everything and see them as fast as possible, with the second they could wait for the next appointment.

You are so spot on about the irony of it all. I never dreamed I would ever be upset to see a BFN on a test.

Thanks Blenheim, right now I''m just feeling so stupid.

It''s the whole combo of having all these weird symptoms - I can smell a cup of coffee at 100 paces - and a negative test.

I feel like I turned up here first month of trying and I am now probably winning the Most Imaginary Pregnancy Symptoms Of The Year award.
20.gif
You must all think I''m crazzeeeeee.

I mean, I EVEN thought about getting the loupe out to look at the last test.
23.gif

How the heck do you get BFN after 8 weeks - she must have been going nuts! Can you be PG with no hcg?
Oh Pandora,

I''m like that, too. I was Totally ONE HUNDRED percent convinced I was pregnant the first month off the pill. We weren''t even trying, but I was sure it happened. Yeah, two weeks later, no pink line.
7.gif

Minds are crazy things, to say the least.!!

fisherofmengirly

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2008 7:37:05 AM

When I was going to bed last night I opened the bin in the bathroom to chuck something away and on the top was the test that I did yesterday morning.

And, there was a distinct blue vertical line - it''s straight not wavy, but quite thin. It was one of the Clear Blue early response ones with the part that is meant to go like cross hairs. It definitely didn''t show the line while I was looking at for 5 minutes after I took the test.

I did another one this morning, and nothing showed up at all, but when I looked at it just now it seems like there is another blue line like the one from yesterday but much fainter.

Could this just be an evaporation line? If so would it usually be exactly bisecting the horizontal line?

If it''s not, why would it take so long to show up? And why wouldn''t I get a firm positive today if it was in fact a BFP yesterday.

I wish I hadn''t seen it as I now feel even more PO''d with the whole stressy knitty thing. Thank goodness AF is due tomorrow and I''ll know for sure!
Pandora,

I thought I saw lines after the test said it was no longer valid, too (beyond the 10 minute time limit for validity). I don''t konw why lines "appear," but whoever made the test needs to improve them to take that part away!

I''m hoping for you, girl, but please don''t lay too much trust in a line that appears after the time limit. Mine never were anything more than false hopes.

Dang it all!

Pee sticks seriously could be the start of insanity. It always is that way for me!

Good thing you should know something more "firm" by tomorrow!!
9.gif

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2008 7:46:28 AM
Author: fisherofmengirly

Pandora,

I thought I saw lines after the test said it was no longer valid, too (beyond the 10 minute time limit for validity). I don''t konw why lines ''appear,'' but whoever made the test needs to improve them to take that part away!

I''m hoping for you, girl, but please don''t lay too much trust in a line that appears after the time limit. Mine never were anything more than false hopes.

Dang it all!

Pee sticks seriously could be the start of insanity. It always is that way for me!

Good thing you should know something more ''firm'' by tomorrow!!
9.gif
Thanks Fisher.

I haven''t dared think of it positively at all, so good (if that is a word that could be applied
20.gif
) to know that it happens and means nothing.

I can''t wait till Friday when I will have returned to sanity. DH is convinced I''m pregnant because I''m so nauseaus at the moment, I have explained that it''s just the migraine...

On the wanting to know the gender, DH and I definitely want to know in advance. I''d like a girl and he''d like a boy, so either way one of us will be over the moon. I feel like you in that I don''t want even the teeniest bit of disappointment after the birth.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
Pandora, unless you are using the absolute MOST sensitive tests available on the market, you really don''t know for sure until either AF comes or you get a BFP. If you get to what you think is 18DPO with neither, then call your doctor. For one thing, you may not have the right egg day. Particularly since you got married last month, the stress and excitement may make you a little off from your usual cycle. And unless you had a classic text-book shift, temping is not 100% accurate.

That''s what got me. My egg day was off and my chart slightly ambiguous, and I thought it was something like 17 DPO when I got my BFP (turns out it was 13 days with an incredibly faint line... didn''t become really noticeable until a couple of day after that!).

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
Hey guys - I have a question about FF...

I''m actually getting really frustrated and sort of wish I''d never done this whole temping thing at all.

I am fairly sure I''ve O''d...but it is saying I didn''t.

How long after you enter the temps do you get that stupid red cross-hair line, showing when you O''d?

I''ve had a stupid shift up for more three days, but it is stills saying no O.

Sorry about all the stupids here...I''m just frustrated.

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/12/2008 8:03:17 PM
Author: mela lu

Date: 8/12/2008 7:08:49 PM
Author: dreamer_dachsie

Pandora I never got migraines, but I often got headaches about 2 days before AF showed up... if you get them right after AF, then they may be prompted by really low levels of progesterone, since that hormone is at an all-time low at the start of your cycle. Or maybe rising levels of estrogen? Why you have one NOW is anyones guess!! You know, they say that urine has miracle cure properties, maybe while you POAS you can, you know... spread it around somehow...
Very interesting. I suffered a massive 3 week long (minor) migrane this cycle. It''s finally gone. I think this cycle for me was screwy (no EWCM or + OPK''s) and the menses migrane only adds to my conclusion that I was in whoremone arrest this month. sigh. That justs adds to my sinking suspicion that this cycle was a bust.

I''ve never had a hormone related migrane before. DreamerDachhie - Being my first ''episode'', do you have any idea if that is a sign of a wonky cycle (post m/c)? Or was it just coincedence?

good luck you SuperPee''ers!
emthup.gif

ETA: Blushing - i just noticed that you and I joined PS around the same time! Nov ''06. We''re TWINS! LOL

ETA#2: Robbie - don''cha just love AFF?! Another GREAT term coined by Amber. We should seriously compile all her amazing contributions. Like today''s, ''puppeteer''. OMG that one goes down in my books!!!
Mela - the funny thing is I noticed that two a few months ago and wanted to mention it, but probably got preoccupied with TTC talk! I had been lurking for a couple of years before I finally started posting. I think I was blocked from doing so at my old company because I remember I trouble joining. It looks like Indy and Erica are also in November ''06 club!

Pandora - I wouldn''t look at old tests since it probably was an evaporation line you saw. I know when I look at my old OPKs a day later, the test line is usually appears darker and sometimes it looks like the same shade as the control line which could insinuate ovulation. Definitely keep testing on new sticks.
2.gif

LL - I''ve had that happen to me on FF where it took more than 3 days for the crosshairs to appear. If you go in and plug in "fake" high temps for the next couple of days, see if it shows an O date. I''ve done that once or twice just confirm my suspicions and then deleted them.

littlelysser

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the suggestion, BB, but I just tried it and that didn''t work either.

I am so freaking frustrated.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
LL, try using the override to set it to different settings 'research' or 'FAM method' settings may give you a different result. Achtung, though, because research and FAM did give me the result that I thought was right, but the bebes tell a different story: they are nearly in line with the advanced setting interpretation of my chart (that egg day was three or four days later than I thought).

If you play around though, you may get some more options.

Can you post your chart for us to see? How big a temp shift did you have? And are you still getting relevant goo?

And yeah, I totally understand and relate to your frustration. I was all "STUPID FF! COME ON ALREADY AND GIVE ME CROSSHAIRS!!!!"

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
grrr.

i just managed to lose my entire post
29.gif

LL: sorry that temping is frustrating! i can''t offer any insight, but i''m sure some of the lovelies here can. i gave it the briefest of go''s a while back, but due to a faulty thermometer and timing issues, abandoned that practice pretty quickly. because i''ve never actually confirmed that i ovulate, i decided to use a fertility monitor this time around. it''s so easy, if a little pricey - but i figured that a bit of upfront investment is well worth the assurance that my body is acting as it should. while i don''t know if the monitor will work for us this time around, or even the next few, i would recommend for those temping-challenged like myself
3.gif

however, i do have my own monitor-related question: i had two peak (with the little egg icon) days as the instructions said would/could happen. but how do i know which day was o''day?

i''m currently just a day or two past o''ing where all the good waiting begins. fun. fun. fun. but, i have to say that this month was far better than last. i definitely felt a tad ridiculous with our stealthy babymaking while surronded by family operation, but we were spending lovely days at the ocean far from the stress of our regular everyday life and i wasn''t sick with a fever
9.gif
all in all, much improved from july.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Fisher I am so sorry that you were made to feel bad about your weight by your doctor! I am more than 15lbs above where I "should" be, and my doctors and midwife never said boo about it, nor did it affect my fertility in any way. Some doctors are "weight nazis" and I personally think it is rude of them to make women feel bad and guilty about their weight, especially when it is obvious that they did not ask your history where they would have discovered your hard work in the past to become more healthy! Sigh. Anyways, it doesn''t mean they are bad doctors, but when you get preggers they will probably hound you about how much to gain too. I also think that is wasted breath on their part since I am willing to bet good money it doesn''t change the amount of weight women gain but only stresses them out. And if you are already sheduled to see your Doc in October, then wait until then. I am SURE that you will get your AF on your own eventually. Many many women have irregular cycles once in a while, and even super long ones and get pregnant naturally... it can sometimes just take a little longer because ovualtion is less frequent. But it can happen and does all the time (the message boards and the TCOYF website and FF website are full of women who had long cycles and then got preggers). On the other had, it can be a sign of something called PCOS, which can show up as women get older (like their 20s-30s). So it is best to get checked out by your doc when you have your physical, or sooner if it is bothering you! Good luck, I''m sure everything is fine and you will have a baby in your arms before you know it!

Pandora sorry to say it is an evaporation line. Never dig the tests out of the trash, which I can personally say is easier said than done (who hasn''t done that
20.gif
). If you are preggers, the faint pink or blue line will appear within 5 minutes. As a side note, I found those blue ones with the cross-hairs less sensitive than the FRER ones.

Lysser If you post your chart I''m sure that some of the charting experts on here can help you determine if you O''d. Sometimes FF requires more than 3 days of temps if your shift was small or if you had a fall-back rise or something. If you post it, we will look at it and can tell you if we see an O yet. The software is just to help you out, in the end you can interpret it yourself too. Or you can sign into www.ovusoft.com which is the companion site for TCOYF, and there are 100s of REAL charting experts who will help you out there! They are the charting what we are to diamonds!
2.gif

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2008 9:32:01 AM
Author: lovelylulu

however, i do have my own monitor-related question: i had two peak (with the little egg icon) days as the instructions said would/could happen. but how do i know which day was o'day?

lulu-

I read that ovulation typically happens on the second "peak" day, but it can happen on the first. That's why DH and I do it twice the second peak day, just to make sure that egg has NOWHERE to run. It's worked so far.
3.gif

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
thanks ebree, i was hoping that you''d chime in!! and too funny about your *schedule* that second day - sounds like your egg basically has no choice in the matter
3.gif

knit, knit, knit.

lisa1.01fvs1

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 8/13/2008 7:37:05 AM

Hey Pandora maybe someone else chimed in but these are evaporation lines and are NOT accurate.

Follow the time guidelines on the box for accurate gauge. Those pesky evaps are the subject of many tortured posts on preggo threads the World over!

I had to use my watch and then throw the tests in the kitchen bin so I wouldn''t be tempted to reevaluate.

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Morning all! I am SO tired. These late night Olympics are driving me mad, since I couldn''t go to bed not seeing how USA did on the floor exercises last night. Ahhhhhh. I''m sooooo sleeeeeepy.

Nada much happenin'' here- 10dpo, just cruisin'' along waiting for AF. Want to get those cramps done with- unfortunately (and fortunately, as I LOVE stadium food!) we''re going to the Dodger/Brewer game on Saturday, and AFF should show up around then. I''ll have to be pretty well medicated, that''s for sure- cramps suck.

Okay, gotta get back to doing some actual work. If I don''t slip into narcolepsy.

37.gif

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
CD 27 of a typical 28 day cycle. Approximately 13DPO. (In an ideal cycle)

I awoke to a BFN this morning. Just as I thought. I can feel Aunt Flo a comin’; it’s like she’s coming down the street chanting “yoo hooo” and waving her basketweave purse in the air. I hate her. And the cramps she’s brought me. I’m disappointed, but I got a thermometer so I’ll be temping next month to have a better idea of what’s going on.

To pull me out of my poopy pitty party, I’m focusing on all the good things in my life. First off, the new granite kitchen countertops that were installed yesterday. LOVE THEM! We’ll be installing the backsplash this weekend (DIY) so look forward to the pics next week ;-)

IMG_3490.jpg

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
The other sweet thing that I’m focusing on instead of my malfunctioning reproductive system is my DH. He bought me this diamond and ruby band for our one year anniversary. I wouldn’t have chosen it, but the fact that rubies are his birthstone and that he went out on his own and chose it is beautiful to me.

IMG_3495.jpg

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
one more with a random band I wear sometimes...

IMG_3480rubyand11.jpg

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to say sorry Pandora for the evap lines
38.gif
Boo hiss.

LovelyLuLu - you will be KTFU in no time with that monitor! YEY for you!!!!!

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Mela, LOVE the new top! My dad just had some installed last week (backsplash, too, all the way up the wall to the cupboards!). Yours looks fantastic!

DH did a good job with the jewelry- Paul is pretty good about it, too, which is nice. He sticks to buying me shoes, mostly, though.

Sorry about AFF appearing. She is definitely the most unwelcome of guests.

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
Amber - she''s not here yet...but I feel her coming.
29.gif

As LittleL would say "Feh".

AmberWaves

Ideal_Rock
Ahhh Mela. Maybe she won''t come after all!! Fingers crossed for ya.

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
mela: those counters look fantastic! and i can''t wait to see the backsplash - what kind of tiles are you using? aside from TTC, my other time consuming preoccupation is planning a kitchen renovation! we have been in our place for about a year now and have steadily been growing our slush fund to make our tiny galley kitchen functional. for now i''ll live vicariously through your progress. nice job!

and hopefully that little monitor will work
6.gif

sorry to hear about impending AFF - she''s a cruel, cruel woman.

mela lu

Ideal_Rock
lulu - not sure what tiles yet. We''re going to buy them this Sat and PAAM! install them right away. Can''t wait! Happy planning with your kitchen. It''s so fun because it''s such a well-used room.

happy in love

Shiny_Rock
Mela- love the counters, and the ring :) Sorry AFF waddling down your street!
Amber- Really, is there nothing better to soothe AFF than some ball park munchies?! Load up on the meds and enjoy the day.
Lulu- I hope the moniter works out for you.
LittleL- sorry the temping has you frustrated. My thoughts have already been posted by the others, sorry I don''t have any new ideas for you.

Another BFN today. I''m using the cheapies from early-pregnancy-tests.com. I''m contemplating grabbing a FRER at Target today, I try and try to "let it go" but am seriously way to focused. I feel like a different test might make me pregnant... not exactly how it works though, hmph.
Last night I was asleep at 9, DH kept waking me up to see MP swim and the US girls on their gymnastics events. I was convinced that I must be preggo cuz I was so tired, util DH kindly pointed out that we''ve been up late every night watching the Olympics. To my credit though, I felt nauseous all day too... but after last month I know better than to count anything as a sign.

Where is everyone else at?

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
Question: when do you start counting days? Like there is the DPO, or you know you have an x-day cycle. Are you counting from the day your last period started? Or ended? Confused! I went back and tried to read in the beginning of the thread, but after mutliple pages, my eyes hurt.

Also, did anyone of you do genetic testing before TTC? A bunch of my friends have, not exactly sure for what- I think maybe cerebral palsy was one, and some others. Seems a bit extreme to me, unless you know you are worried about something.

On that same note, what goes on at the pre-conception appointment? I don''t think my dr does that- when I asked her about TTC last year, she said don''t worry about it, just come in when you are ready and I will prescribe pre-natals and such. Just wondering if I should push for one. I am trying to wait since my annual isn''t till November for insurance reasons.

Ok, lots of questions. Thanks in advance!

lovelylulu

Ideal_Rock
Hi china cat!

On this thread people count from the first day of their period (cycle days), i.e. CD 2 would be the second day of your cycle AND they also count days past ovulation (DPO) so DPO 11 would be eleven days after you ovulated.

I didn''t do any genetic testing. don''t plan to either.

HIL: another test might not *make* you pregnant, but waiting until you get closer to AFF will make it more likely that you''ll get an accurate result! baby dusting for you. where are you in the waiting game?

mela: i forgot to mention that your ring is gorgeous too!

blushingbride

Brilliant_Rock
Sheesh...that AFF...will she ever learn that it's rude to drop in on someone without calling first?
29.gif
Oh and if she must know, basketweave purses are sooooo out of style!
20.gif
Anyway, I'm sorry to hear about your BFNs HIL and Mela.
7.gif
But, there's still a chance that at the last minute AFF might delay her visit for at least 9 months so, there's still hope!

Mela - I LOVE your anniversary gift from you hubby! It's beautiful and goes perfect with your other bands. He's a keeper for putting some serious thought and effort into your gift!
5.gif
Oh, and your countertops look great too - that color is perfect for hiding any dirt/crumbs. I had a black granite countertop in our last counter that looked sleek and modern, but showed every spec! Every breadcrumb, every spot of water or oil...what a b*tch to clean every nite!
I'm at CD 12 and probably will start the F-tastic marathon any day now.
36.gif
DH has no idea what he's in for!
31.gif

CC - I had a preconception exam (I know Ebree did as well) mainly because there is a history of endometriosis in my family and I was concerned since there were no symptoms invovled so, I wanted to make sure that it was ruled out for me right off the bat. I had an initial preconception exam followed by blood tests and a sonogram.

I also did not have any genetic testing done because my doctor said it wasn't necessary this early in the game when we discussed DH's and my hertitage and family's medical history.

Independent Gal

Ideal_Rock
CC, cerebral palsy, if I understand correctly, is not genetic but rather is caused by an accident with oxygen flow to the fetal brain. Things you may want to know about, genetics -wise, before you TTC depend on your ethnic background, and include Tay-Sachs, and I think sickle-cell anemia... If i recall correctly, African Americans, and Cajuns from Lousiana have much higher rates of sickle-cell anemia, and Ashkenazi Jews have much higher rates of Tay-Sachs. It's worth talking to your doctor about it. A lot of the genetic testing has to be done on the fetus, not on you, for things that are related to chromosomal abnormalities like Down's Syndrome and Trisomy 18.

Your cycle starts on the first day of proper flow when AFF arrives. (So, not a spotting day). When you ovulate, you start counting DPO (days post ovulation) through your 'luteal phase' (LP), which is so called because the period of time that your luteinizing hormone is elevated (your bod does that in case you get pregnoid). Your luteal phase is usually between 12 and 16 days, and usually doesn't vary much if at all for a particular woman. So, say AFF is late one month, that's probably because you ovulated late, and AFF (or a BFP) will come 12-16 days (whatever your usual length is) after that like clockwork. E.g., one cycle is 26 days and your LP is 13 days... then you ov on day 13 (the 13th day after your last AFF started), next cycle is 34 days, then you ov on day 21. See?

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/13/2008 2:31:47 PM
Author: ChinaCat
Question: when do you start counting days? Like there is the DPO, or you know you have an x-day cycle. Are you counting from the day your last period started? Or ended? Confused! I went back and tried to read in the beginning of the thread, but after mutliple pages, my eyes hurt.

Also, did anyone of you do genetic testing before TTC? A bunch of my friends have, not exactly sure for what- I think maybe cerebral palsy was one, and some others. Seems a bit extreme to me, unless you know you are worried about something.

On that same note, what goes on at the pre-conception appointment? I don''t think my dr does that- when I asked her about TTC last year, she said don''t worry about it, just come in when you are ready and I will prescribe pre-natals and such. Just wondering if I should push for one. I am trying to wait since my annual isn''t till November for insurance reasons.

Ok, lots of questions. Thanks in advance!
Start counting from day one of your period.

I know that my cycle is 27/28 days as I have been marking it down on a calendar for the last year and so far without fail AF has turned up on day 27/28.

Vague charting - ie CM and cervix position over the last 6 months or two has put O at about CD 13/14.

I''m not having genetic testing. The only thing likely is spherocytosis which DH has - it''s a dominant condition where your blood cells are round instead of donut shaped. You therefore carry less oxygen, easily get anaemic and often have to have your spleen removed as it recognises round cells as old cells and so works much harder than it should. We have a 50/50 chance of any child having the condition.

It will mean a definite hospital birth, but I''ll be high risk anyway. They may want to test in advance - sometimes they induce 2 weeks early, sometimes the baby needs a blood transfusion before or straight after birth and there is a very high risk of bad jaundice.

I saw my GP last month and discussed everything with him. Other than starting folic acid when we start TTC we mainly discussed my current meds and possible implications. Didn''t seem to be much else he thought we needed to do.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results