shape
carat
color
clarity

The New iPhone 5S and 5C!

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
tweeter8177|1379006914|3519515 said:
For those of you on AT&T and still under contract, I believe you can upgrade early for the new iPhone. Just do an upgrade checker. I bought my iPhone 5 a year ago and it says I can upgrade early (only for the new iPhone). This will start your 2 years over, so I am not sure if I will do it. Although I really want to!
Unless you pay full price for the phone off contract you are starting your 2 years over. For an early upgrade, you most likely won't get the full upgrade "new customer" price OR they are pushing you into that new "NEXT" plan, that finances the phone over the next year of your plan. Make 100% sure what's going on before you do it.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
ame|1379014485|3519607 said:
tweeter8177|1379006914|3519515 said:
For those of you on AT&T and still under contract, I believe you can upgrade early for the new iPhone. Just do an upgrade checker. I bought my iPhone 5 a year ago and it says I can upgrade early (only for the new iPhone). This will start your 2 years over, so I am not sure if I will do it. Although I really want to!
Unless you pay full price for the phone off contract you are starting your 2 years over. For an early upgrade, you most likely won't get the full upgrade "new customer" price OR they are pushing you into that new "NEXT" plan, that finances the phone over the next year of your plan. Make 100% sure what's going on before you do it.

I paid $100 for my upgrade and have a year left and am not paying any extra so I'll keep my phone. My DH said both kids will get the 5C. I admit, I didn't even know there was a 5C coming out until I saw this thread. lol I was too focused on hoping the 4S would go down in price and haven't even read about the 5C. Wonder how much our bill is going to be with four iphones? :knockout:

My dh cracked the front of his phone last week and he bought a new face plate/front glass and it was $50 and he insists it's better to do that than buy an otter box. Kids prob still should have something heavy duty.

justginger

Ideal_Rock
LaraOnline|1379000740|3519463 said:
And there I was thinking that on PS, we'd all be rocking rhinestones heheh

Can you stick your DEFENDER on a dock style charger?
Does it limit the way you use your phone, Ginger?

I don't know if it would dock or not - the case makes it quite a bit fatter. The bottom charge port is covered by a flap of rubber that can be pushed in (to cover) or pulled out (so you can charge). You might have to check the exact dimensions. My cover has a glitch that can be fixed if Icould be bothered - when I put it up to my head, the sensor doesn't register, so the screen doesn't lock. There's a stray bit of plastic there, but I haven't bothered to fix it so that shows you how much it concerns me, lol.

Rhinestones, yes. Hello Kitty, definitely not. :wink2:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I too have the Otterbox for my 5. It takes a sleek phone and makes it look bulky but it is such a safety giant. I'd be afraid to not have it! I love the gold color of the new 5c but I have over a year to go for an upgrade. I don't really need it but it looks very pretty. Otterbox would cover most of that up anyway - oh, well!!

LoveLikeCrazy

Brilliant_Rock
I currently have a 5 and don't think the changes are enough to warrant me sending my phone to gazelle and managing the cost of the new one. I will be waiting for the 6!

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I have the 4 right now and I'm definitely ready for a new phone. Trying to decide between getting the 5S or switching to Android and going for the HTC One. DH just got the HTC and its pretty sweet. I need to go use the 5S in person before I decide...

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
My husband has an HTC, and I think he's thinking about going to the new iPhone with me!
Neither of us have had an apple phone before, we only fairly recently got an (old version) iPad for the kids.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
I switched to Samsung a little over a year ago and I'll never look back. I love the features so much more. I hope those who do get an iphone love it though!!! :wavey:

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I thought the 5S was supposed to be available for pre-order today? Did that change to just the 5C being available?

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
stargurl78|1379103116|3520285 said:
I thought the 5S was supposed to be available for pre-order today? Did that change to just the 5C being available?

I told my younger son that we plan to get him the 5C and he wants the 4S b/c the 5C is plastic (I showed him a google article and he was horrified by the plastic!). Guess we'll have to look at them in person, but my husband said the two phones use different connectors and we plan to upgrade our phones, as soon as we can, so it'd be nice if all our phones could use the same chargers.

We'd still have our ipads & ipod w/old charger, but plan to sell my son's ipod after he gets his phone, so two ipads w/old-style chargers and all phones with new.

Why must they change stuff like that? I was going to get a little radio I can pop my phone into and now have to wait till my phone upgrade bc we have already too many electronic items around.

tammy77

Brilliant_Rock
I talked to the Verizon rep today and they said that the 5s isn't going to pre-order, just releasing on 9/20. As a side note, they have a pretty attractive recycle rebate program going until Oct 31st for $200 regardless of the phones condition. So DH and I are taking advantage of that and will be getting the 5s for no out of pocket cost. :read:

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I called and we aren't due for an upgrade until January. :mad: BUT, I told them we were moving and wanted to get new phones before we moved, so they told me to call back in November and they would upgrade us! :appl: The kids are getting the old 4's...

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
No it was never available for preorder which is STUPID. Just the 5C was.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
MC|1379116762|3520429 said:

I told my younger son that we plan to get him the 5C and he wants the 4S b/c the 5C is plastic (I showed him a google article and he was horrified by the plastic!). Guess we'll have to look at them in person, but my husband said the two phones use different connectors and we plan to upgrade our phones, as soon as we can, so it'd be nice if all our phones could use the same chargers.

We'd still have our ipads & ipod w/old charger, but plan to sell my son's ipod after he gets his phone, so two ipads w/old-style chargers and all phones with new.

Why must they change stuff like that? I was going to get a little radio I can pop my phone into and now have to wait till my phone upgrade bc we have already too many electronic items around.
They changed to a different and better connector last year, and they're actually a much nicer port. You can buy a little connector to still use your old charger cables, btw.

The plastic isn't too bad actually--they did a good job with it. It's steel reinforced.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
ame|1379170930|3520730 said:
MC|1379116762|3520429 said:

They changed to a different and better connector last year, and they're actually a much nicer port. You can buy a little connector to still use your old charger cables, btw.

The plastic isn't too bad actually--they did a good job with it. It's steel reinforced.

We figured there would be an adapter so we could use the same chargers, etc, but then my husband says it's better we all upgrade our phones and just use the old chargers for our ipads. He thinks the pieces that allow the 4s to charge with 5S/5C or vice versa will break off. He's pretty set on all of us upgrading when we can to the 5S/5C so we're consistent.

The next year will be a big Apple overhaul for us...after all the planning, we'll have four new phones coming at various times, a new ipad4 (?), buying a 2nd ipad (4? or not - not sure what happened to the 3 - never knew there was one...Dh said it appeared and then disappeared...I just recall the mini and thinking it was too small, and then was side-tracked by other things in life), then I want to purchase keyboards that connect into the ipads b/c the kids need to learn to type, plus my typing has taken a nose dive using the ipad... Plus, selling off the devices that we've upgraded from. Also, we're receiving a free ipad2 when signing with dish and we're debating if that is good or if we should sell and use the $ for the ipad 4. Then we also would like to purchase a second laptop and my DH mentioned an Apple one but I haven't read up on it, so I need to research that one...you probably know the name...starts with E maybe???

Plus, to if all this isn't too mind spinning, we have FOUR Kindles and dust is collecting on two of them! Two family members refuse to use them, the third watches spongebob, and the forth only watches tv shows/movies b/c she likes to collect books ;)) , so I figured we'd keep two and sell the other two... I just want to keep my paperwhite and one KF.

How did it go from a family sharing a computer (back 20 years ago in society) to having 10+ devices and only using half?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
That's a LOT of devices! We have a lot of computers here, but each just a phone and just the one tablet. I ONLY use the tablet for bridal consultations and bridal shows. I have no real interest otherwise. He was hoping I'd use it to put my magazines on so I wouldnt pack them for traveling but we tested that out on our Vacation flight and apparently to get the magazine to view you need a connectoin...that is IDIOTIC.

Apple's laptops are the Macbook Air and Macbook Pro. Next year I am going to get a new machine, DH was planning for that to be this year, but this one is going fine, no need to replace yet. But I am getting a laptop next time, I usually alternate desktop laptop desktop laptop, but I got two desktops in a row and now I regret that, because I want to be able to work from bed...or at work (like bring my side work to work for downtime).

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
ame|1379170834|3520729 said:
No it was never available for preorder which is STUPID. Just the 5C was.

Yeah, that's dumb. I don't understand why one would be available for pre-order but not the other...

tammy77 said:
I talked to the Verizon rep today and they said that the 5s isn't going to pre-order, just releasing on 9/20. As a side note, they have a pretty attractive recycle rebate program going until Oct 31st for $200 regardless of the phones condition. So DH and I are taking advantage of that and will be getting the 5s for no out of pocket cost. :read:

Ohhh good to know, I'll have to see if my phone would be eligible for that program. Thanks for sharing!

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
DH thinks that Apple should have named one phone the "iPhone SJ" for Steve Jobs after he passed away.

As for these new phones, I haven't paid much attention because my contract isn't up until a year from now.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oy. I'm waiting for it to come out. I really want a gold one. :love:
Or I will see how much they lowered the price for the iPhone5.
I just want a better camera, really. The iPhone 4's camera is soooo poopy! ;(

The only thing is that I won't be able to use my OlloClip since the iPhone 5 and 5S are thinner than the iPhone 4 and 4S.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
madelise|1379313604|3521480 said:
Oy. I'm waiting for it to come out. I really want a gold one. :love:
Or I will see how much they lowered the price for the iPhone5.
I just want a better camera, really. The iPhone 4's camera is soooo poopy! ;(

The only thing is that I won't be able to use my OlloClip since the iPhone 5 and 5S are thinner than the iPhone 4 and 4S.
Yea I know...I need to buy a new Olloclip now lol

Anyone switching from an iPhone to another make needs to remember to turn OFF iMessage first or you'll have texting issues with iPhones for a while. Just FYI.

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm calling and complaining that the "recycling" program ending October 31st isn't fair. Maybe I'll get to upgrade sooner. :evil:

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
ame|1379338935|3521590 said:
Yea I know...I need to buy a new Olloclip now lol

Anyone switching from an iPhone to another make needs to remember to turn OFF iMessage first or you'll have texting issues with iPhones for a while. Just FYI.[/quote]

Yup DH just switched from the iPhone 4S to the HTC One and had a big headache with it at first, even after he turned off iMessage (and God forbid he wasn't able to group text his buddies about fantasy sports for like 2 whole days :rolleyes: ). He pretty much had to ask everyone to go into their settings on their own phones, turn off iMessage and then turn it back on.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Usually it requires that the original user deactivate it, not the other parties. But if other people turning it off and then on works that's good to know. Most people don't really think about it when they deactivate their iPhone. I am going to try to remember to deactivate it when I upgrade so I don't have issues with the new one.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wait. Why does it get screwy?

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
Because iMessage is an iOS/Apple only product often tied to a user's phone number for texting use, if you don't deactivate it, the network still has your phone number tied to iMessage and texts no longer properly work through the system properly. If you didn't turn it off on the phone first, and then activate a different phone or type of phone (so go to Android for example) after it was deactivated, your number is still tied to the iMessage service. Without that number still being active on an iOS device, you can't just go in later to turn it off. They claim that you can wait 30 days for it to fall off the system, because if the number doesn't connect with the server for 30 days it "resets" in the server, but that doesn't always work and Apple hasn't made it a priority to fix that, probably in part because they're not concerned with making things work right for people who leave their ecosystem, i.e. what is the motivation for them to care since you're now patronizing the competition.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
So who is a giant addict like me and was up at 2am Central ordering online? They wouldn't allow in store pickups, though that's probably due to shortage in supply. So it'll ship when it ships, they say shipping 1-3 days for arrival in about a week...whatevs.

I got a Space Gray 64G.

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Hey ame! I rang to follow up on the 5S which dropped locally today. and - get this - NO GOLD version available, only grey!!

But... I can wait :Up_to_something: :tongue:

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
LaraOnline|1379680215|3524058 said:
Hey ame! I rang to follow up on the 5S which dropped locally today. and - get this - NO GOLD version available, only grey!!

But... I can wait :Up_to_something: :tongue:
Yea the Gold sold like hotcakes. Apple just told it's factories to ramp up quantities on that one by 30% to keep up with demand.

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OK! I ordered the new 5S, 16GB, in gold! :)) It says it will ship within 3 weeks. Another page said it would ship 2-5 business days. Eh, I can survive I think ;))

The 16GB will be a huge upgrade for me. My iPhone 4 is only 8GB! It fills up quickly :(sad

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results